US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I think that she is going to be a favorite here on FSU. I spoke with her at Nationals, and she is a spitfire-- she wants to win, and she is willing to put the work in. I am excited about this pairing.

2. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

Wait - what comment?

3. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

IIRC, she said something about them both being blonde and blue eyed, so they looked good together.

I don't see what's so wrong about that, but to each their own.

4. reese

reese Well-Known Member

What happened to Knierim's last partner, Andrea Poapst? She was a star.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Andrea Poapst is skating in Los Angeles (with Peter Oppegard) and is still looking for a partner, last I heard. I really hope she can find someone worthy of her talents.

Skate Detroit Senior Pairs FS (5 teams competed):
    Moore-Towers/Moscovitch (CAN) 116.67, H. Denney/Frazier 99.90, Scimeca/Knierim 98.19, Purdy/Marinaro (CAN) 92.66, Baga/Toth 82.74 [Yankowskas/Reagan WD].

6. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

I stated this earlier in the thread but she gave knierm an ultimatum to move to LA away from the Springs and that training center or else.... He is in school full-time and working to pay for skating according to bios I've read... ....and has always trained with Delilah .... SO she left the springs without him...he had no partner..then Scimeca moved there and they started training but knierm had a hernia procedure so it delayed training in the beginning...so this S/K team has more training to do and he is healed but it put them a little behind... I guess it was meant to be because I love the S/K team and hope popst(sp,,,,these names!:) finds a partner as well.....

I agree though that Poapt is a beautiful skater like caitlyn y.....in fact does anyone know why Y/R withdrew from FS? is there an injury....I hope everything is ok?

7. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

They never planned to skate it.

8. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Then why did they enter?

Bottom Line: Many of these posts are reactive and yes a little uneducated on what actually happens when the grand Prix competitions are awarded- However- clearly there are teams that have been training this Summer and teams that have been coasting.

You can't tell me that skaters as experienced as Yankowskis and Reagan can't pull their sh*t together and skate two programs that at least show the judges the direction they are taking artistically when skaters such as S/K who are also brand new together are pulling pretty strong scores in both events.

IMO you are either hungry for success or you aren't. It seems very clear to me who will be ready to compete Internationally and represent the US and frankly who isn't .

Remember all Grand Prix skaters are obligated to skate a short and a long in altitude during Champs Camp in a couple of weeks....

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  9. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

A star without a consistent triple jump

10. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

It was NOT a combined event. They had to enter both events separately. SO if not planned to skate should not have entered I suppose....oh well NO team skates a super amazing long....right now it takes a few months to train those and everyone understands that so it would have been nice just to even see a program like what M/B skated all doubles given a look at the direction they were going...a little disappointing...but love where some of the other longs are going with the other senior and junior teams!
    :D

11. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

So? Perhaps they entered because they wanted to have the option. But I can confirm that they didn't intend to skate it as of three weeks ago.

12. madm

madm Active Member

She also has citizenship issues for anyone wanting to aim for Olympics because she is a Canadian citizen from Toronto.

13. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

True and options are good...it's their choice everyone has their reasons. At Champs Camp everyone has to skate their programs both short and long regardless...is that correct? SO if that is true then will be fun to hopefully hear about it then....

14. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Yes, they do. And they plan it then.

15. Sylvia

16. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link Sylvia. After watching some of the clips from the summer competitions I am excited about the prospects of US Pairs. Maybe our medal drought at Worlds will be broken in the next few years!

17. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Yes some exciting U.S. pairings. Very nice sp from Scimeca/ Knierim. I'm eager to see more from them!

I have to agree tho' with Peter Carruthers re the broken leg sit spin used in choreo to classical music: "It doesn't quite suit." I believe Peter made that comment or words to that effect at U.S. Nats re the same sit spin performed by Chris and his former partner.

18. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

This could be considered off topic from the above quote but can we add...very short spiral sections the new footwork that takes forever...and some other items in the new scoring system that affect:cool: the singles and dance too...it has been an interesting change and can't wait for the vocals to hit pairs and singles that will be interesting!

That said ...I am eager to see more too!!

19. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Wow. the 3twist looked effortless, like that could turn into a big element for them, and the Throw 3z/3f (don't know what it was) was nice and big. I also like that they are going for SBS 3sals. They seem to be comfortable with one another on the ice. I could become a fan ... :)

20. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I was impressed the spring in the throw and their unison. I can't wait to see them further along in the season.

21. Sylvia

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

They definitely need a lot of polishing. Postures, lines, unison and basics in general need work. The performance was a little tepid as well.

Having said that, the triple twist and the throw 3flip were huge! And considering how short they have been skating together, to deliver all those technical elements in a pretty much clean program is extremely impressive.

A very promising new team!

23. aftershocks

Any more vids from Skate Detroit available?

ETA:
    Granted early yet and a bit presumptious to overly criticize, but of returning U.S. pairs, I like Marley/Brubaker and Donlan/Speroff. However D/S must further develop and strengthen their tech skills/ jumps. M/B are still working on improving twist, lifts (Mary Beth's air positions on lifts are not great) and they need to develop better unison on sbs spins and consistency on their sbs jumps, as well as better chemistry (as Mary Beth matures and continues to refine her lines).

Denney/Coughlin have the edge in consistent tech/ jumping skills, sway with U.S. judges, bubbly enthusiasm and kinetic energy (although they lack aesthetically pleasing lines and Caydee needs to improve her air positions on lifts) -- I also think D/C need to find their own unique on-ice identity in their use of music and choreo, especially because they are not in the mode of classical pairs skaters, so perhaps their coach should stop trying to make that shoe fit and focus more on helping them stake out their own territory.

Are Denney/Frazier continuing as juniors for now?

Of the new U.S. senior pairings, from what I've seen so far, I favor Davis/Ladwig and Scimeca/Knierim. I was initially excited about Yankowskas/Reagan, but they may need more time to work on strengthening their skills and timing as a team. It seems to have adversely affected Caitlin in being out of action for a year (even tho' she surely was working out to keep in shape -- it still is not a replacement for competing with a partner). Y/R are a striking pair (looks wise) on the ice and I wish them well.

I was also excited about the Baga/Toth pairing, but I am generally unfamiliar with the skating of both previous to their pairing. What I have seen of both (Baga as a singles skater and Toth with his previous partner Zhang), B/T seem to have good potential, but it may take time for their partnership to develop, especially since Baga is new to pairs skating.

I am interested in seeing/ hearing more about LeDuc and his new partner.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  24. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Scimeca/Knierim do something in the throw (lutz?) I've seen some other pairs do -- he puts his hands on her hips before the throw, and she then puts hers down on top of his. Why? It seems like it would be an awkward position for initiating rotation.

25. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

It can help the girl anchor and center herself, and also she can communicate through pressure on his hands exactly when she's ready; the throw should follow her natural timing.

barbk and (deleted member) like this.
  26. aftershocks

^^ ITA, and thanks.

I first noticed this being done by Savchenko/Szolkowy (although other pairs might have been doing it before them, e.g., Soviet pairs). There are a lot of interesting stylistic/ and technique-related moves S/S have fashioned, that other teams seem to incorporate. I believe Aliona was the first pairs lady to include a variety of foot-hold positions and odd-angle shifts in body and leg movements in overhead lifts (not that everyone likes such hand holds, leg and body angles, but it suits her movement style and works under IJS). Also the spirals that Robin and Aliona do are interesting and impactful, plus the way they do hand holds in a rotational way while speedily moving across the ice. Also, prior to their throws, Aliona is slightly lifted up by Robin (and she moves her legs up and down), then he places her back on the ice before the throw -- this pre-jump way of moving seems to also be a timing mechanism before the throw (I believe a straight-legged version of this was first done by Soviet pairs).

27. aftershocks

I forgot about Castelli/Schnapir (reminded by a thread asking about Marissa, which should probably have been posted in this thread). I was also impressed by them at Nationals in January. They should be among the top contenders at Nats again.

28. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

And Zhang/Bartholomay that won Liberty overall by 30 points?

Actually there is a great amount of talent in US pairs now.

29. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

...as long as they consistently show that talent when it counts - at international competitions during the season, get some cred with international judges, and move on up ;)

30. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

I couldn't agree more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.