US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Skate Detroit Senior Pairs SP (6 teams competed):
    K Moore-Towers/D Moscovitch CAN 59.47 [32.92 TES/26.55 PCS], A Scimeca/C Knierim (new) 58.49 [34.29/24.00], H Denney/B Frazier 50.18 [28.18/23.00 -1], M Purdy/M Marinaro CAN 48.00 [25.95/22.05], C Yankowskas/J Reagan (new) 36.92 [18.62/19.30 -1], K Baga/T Toth (new) 36.67 [16.92/19.75]

julieann and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I've also posted these results/scores and some info about Scimeca/Knierim in the Skate Detroit thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3630153#post3630153
    (I also tweeted Jr Pairs SP & FS scores earlier.)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  3. apollo13

apollo13 Member

Wow! Amazing score, good for them...

4. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Sylvia,

Did Y/R really score a 36.92 at Skate Detroit in the SP (per your tweet)?? :yikes: :scream:

5. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

It's their first competition as a new team. I'm willing to cut them some slack.

Honestly, I think some people were so excited over Caitlin finally getting a partner that they had some wicked unrealistic expectations.

It takes some teams longer to gel than others. I'd give them a few years before expecting them to contend for national medals.

6. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

Really impressed with Scimeca/Knierim's scores! I'm very curious to see their programs. It looks like romance suits them. :)

Do we know anything about B. Simpson/M. Blackmer? Last I heard they were first in the Jr Pairs SP. I hope they could keep the lead in the FS, I really enjoyed their skates a lot last season. Also, if anyone knows their music choices and would like to share, it'd be highly appreciated. :)

Thanks to Sylvia and everyone who posts updates from competitions. :respec:

7. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Sylvia has posted scores from Skate Detroit on her awesome blog. :)

http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/2012-skate-detroit-results-in-progress/

8. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Thaaank you- I have been waiting for this statement since the beginning of their partnership

9. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

10. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Are they a couple off the ice?

11. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

Does anyone know what Y/R did tech? or what they skated to??. IF it was like skate for hope there could lie the problem and new or not they both have enough tech and experience to complete elements that is why they got international spots already.... There are other new teams that skated and Y/R did skate for hope...like M/B did they just did not do or try pair elements such as over head lifts and triple throw...so something is up there....and with Internationals coming they really don't have "years to gel"... it is just not usual..yes little things like timing and sometimes line but elements...S/K have been together less than Y/R ...so...a little concerned about Y/R but wish them best no ones expecting perfection but a preview sooo....,what about B/T what did they skate to?...seems like a cute team and she is competing senior ladies too...wow ...D/F seem to be on a good roll for their JGP's...,,but also true it does take some teams longer than others. Just wondering about the internationals Y/R were given when they are not ready maybe someone else who is more ready should have those..it is definitely not a "wicked unrealistic expectation" to expect them to do senior pair elements.....but then again not always good to second guess I suppose...hope we get to see video soon! and there is still the long....but that is usually harder given the beginning of the season takes months to train a long consistently..so we may see some struggles there from all the teams Junior and Senior...just takes about 5 months of training a program to nail everything in a long.....but will be fun to watch these programs emerge if we get to see them at some point..... keep us posted!!!

12. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

I don't know how old are they, and I don't want to break any forum rules, but she tweets all the time about them. Take a look for yourself https://twitter.com/lexxapaige :)

13. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

On Goldenskate, the poster Arianne said that Y&R missed the throw and he missed the 3toe.

Hope it's okay to post that. :)

14. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

Then;
    #1) Don't take advantage of the split pair to attain a Team USA spot if you are not ready
    #2) Allow another team who is more ready to take that spot and take your time and gel and try for 2018 or Worlds etc...

I do wish them all the best...and I had high expectations true..maybe that was wrong...
    It is not fair for them to take a Team USA spot then.. Especially when we are talking about Team USA Pairs. It is fine to take more time...take all the time you need but don't take a spot away from a team that is ready based on what you did before...I prefer teams take their time to "gel" ..prove themselves and keep "expectations" real for them..and not be rushed...for some it's better. Their first international team usa competition is around the corner....no one is expecting a clean skate right now.especially for long that takes time months usually for new teams...but for short....just go for it ...although I still do not know what they did technically so I may be speaking out of turn here...just some thoughts. ....still wishing them the best though...who knows could have been an off night long still to come..

15. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

wow- you are certainly right...well good for them!

16. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

Wow you are right...also thxs for posting about Y/R better luck in long...moving forward...long is tough this early in the season especially with the three lifts.so all the teams may struggle a bit.....so good vibes to all the teams and lots of oxygen!!:dog:!!!! Still excited about the season to come!

17. madm

madm Active Member

Alexa is 21 and Chris is 24.

18. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

Thank you! It was too late for me to check. Then yes, Alexa and Chris are definitely a couple off ice, and it's obviously a plus for them on the ice so far. :) They're cute together.

I'm pretty sure they're not the only pairs team who are an off ice team too.

Y/R results are a bit shocking, but I agree that it was too be expected. I know many people wants Caitlin to do well, me included!, but it's unrealistic that they'll just show up and :kickass: I also think a lot of people don't give Coughlin enough credit, I know it was a weird situation between them and that John isn't Mr. Elegant Skater, but he did his job and did it well, Caitlin didn't skate alone, and he's delivered when it counted the most. Also I've noticed some people have a way to high opinion of Reagan :shuffle: He has better lines than Coughlin, obviously, and he has a mop of blond hair and blue eyes that Caitlin seems to value so much :D but he's not that great yet. :slinkaway

I hope Y/R get a lot better soon, because it would be tragic that they took a spot in the GP at the level they seem to be at now. I've only watched their performance at Skate for Hope, I know I can't judge anything by that, but it wasn't encouraging, and these scores kinda supported that first impression.

I could have just quoted oldskoolsk8tr, cloudy_gumdrops, jdonavan about Y/R. I'm new to posting here, I'll get more FSU savvy with time (I hope.)

19. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

Awe Crankyintheam
    You bring up a great point....people do not often realize that the boys are a part of the equation and John did his job and as you so stated did it well...So it can be said that pairs are WAY more complicated than we might want to believe or see.

It takes the right connection and both skaters to pull off kind of amazing feats at the same exact time. When you think about it when you have a clean skate that is awesome soooo much goes into that and because a couple is good doesn't mean when and if they split they will be amazing separately although I know it happens. Just wanting to give kudos to these pairs...in the 80's it was not like this at all!!!

I think Y/R will skate better in the long but I also think it is early for a clean long so all the teams may struggle and that is normal. Look at the long M/B just did all doubles they basically just walked through the program easy to get it clean and work on endurance cause lets face it...takes time to build for the season so good for S/K, D/F, and B/T, Y/R ...so growth although hard can be the stepping stone to greatness...:scream:

20. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Without seeing the protocols I'm not sure how anyone can say it was shocking. I also don't know of anyone who said they would show up and kick ass.

Coughlin and Denney both had good partners for a few years (both US Champs, each getting 6th and 7th at Worlds) before teaming up. Yankowskas sat out a year before teaming up Reagan who the best he ever did with Cain was 4th at Jr Worlds, so her former partners are not exact equals. He has only been a serious pairs skater since 2009. To compare the two is silly.

As far as your comment 'it would be tragic that they took a spot in the GP at the level they seem to be at now' - that is her right under the rules set by the ISU and she's not the only skater to use it. If you have a problem with it, write the ISU. If it benefited a skater you were related to, you would have no problem with it ;)

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Since the Split Pair rule only applies to the ISU Grand Prix, I'll assume you mean GP.

How exactly did Y/R "attain a Team USA spot"? "Team USA" is only entitled to three spots (at Skate America), and Y/R haven't been assigned to any of them yet (there's a TBA open, based on how the summer goes). The rest of the spots are earned by specific skaters: every one of the Pairs entitled to one or two has been assigned to one or two, and the pairs that haven't been assigned, haven't earned them.

There are Pairs from other countries that higher on the SB list than US pairs on the list. Why do you assume that if Y/R hadn't gotten a Split Couple spot that the spot would have gone to another US team?

While I don't expect Y/R to be another D/C, who got their second GP spot as a Split Couple last year, Y/R have been together for a short time, and by November, a little more than three months away, they'll have been together twice as long as they have now. US Nationals are another two months away. While I don't expect them to be competitive this year, or even get a GP minimum at CoC, they've earned the right to be there.

22. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

Touche!

Not trying to assume and meant representing USA...obviously. Of course they should take advantage of everything they can my point was more that they if not feeling ready should take their time to often we pressure teams and that was the point although not as elequint as the way you stated it.

I do think they can be competitive this year that is a little negative. I think and hope all the teams can as it makes for better competition...of course you want development and improvement and to see a team get better and better every year...

I mentioned at the end of that statement that I could be off...I am like a weebles wobble...and just saying that lets you know how old I am...I admit I being from 6.0 system get confused on all the rule changes and points..assignments etc.....that said..

they were just thoughts....but I appreciate the clarity anyway. I hope all the teams continue to develop well as I stated before FS can be hard that is why we saw only doubles from M/B at their last competition debut...so my guess is if all the Senior teams did just doubles they would all skate clean but sometimes you gotta go for it and it looks like as I said in my other post they did that....you build from there.

You have to admit though the assignments coming out just based on points and split rule adds an interesting turn this year...
    Also a lot of teams had the points for that spot and one in-particular was a team that lost that spot they had earned that YEAR through skating... were slotted for a spot they earned and lost it because of this new longer split rule....it happens its the sport but it still sucks and then adds a lot of pressure on a team taking a spot based on past...but we are seeing a lot of comebacks etc it happens and is part of the sport...look at Weir and others coming back...so will be interesting before Olympics!!

I still hope all do great and improve from here as again I am sure it will be a very interesting and exciting season ahead!

...and so it goes...

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

What do you mean "had the points"? What do you mean "earned"?

Even though the GP rules have changed over the last decade about who earns what spots, every skater/team who has earned a spot by those rules and whose Federation has submitted their names has received at least the minimum number of spots guaranteed by the rules and very often more. Every year, even as the ISU reduced the number of spots in each event, the number of spots has been greater than the number of guaranteed spots + host spots + Split Couples/Comeback Skaters, and skaters from the Top 75 list -- who earn nothing except the possibility of replacing skaters who withdraw -- have been chosen in the initial selection. Who are you talking about?

The Split Couple rule has been in effect for two seasons. Last season, there were as many teams that were guaranteed one and got second non-host spots (S/H in CAN, S/K in FRA) as non-host Split Couple spots (D/C and D/W in FRA). Why do you think your couple "lost" a spot to a Split Couple rather than S/H or S/K? Or to Y/J in CAN, S/S in CH, or P/S in JPN, all of whom made the minimum score, but did not "earn" -- i.e., guaranteed by the GP selection rules -- a spot?

24. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

It would be "tragic" for Caitlin if she did as bad as they did in the SP at Skate Detroit at their GP.

The low score specially compared with S/K, who are quite a new pair too, was shocking for me, because I think CY is a gorgeous skater AND I obviously spent too much time chatting/tweeting with Caitlin ubers :lol: I caught their maybe unrealistic "Y/R will kick D/C at Nats" bug.

I hope they will actually get much stronger and challenge the top pairs next January. The more pairs :kickass: the better.

I don't have any relatives or friends who are skaters, or coaches or judges or costume designers :lol: Sadly, no one in my family or my close group of friends even watch skating. :(

36 posts? How did that happen? :confused: A sign that I'm talking too much.

25. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

You said it was 'tragic' she took the spot not skated as bad...why? If they do bad...so be it, she has every right to go. Do you see the protocol from SD? I haven't so I can't comment on how they performed.

S/K also got a score higher than Kavaguti and Smirnov received last year at NHK so are S/K a better team now? You may be either looking to much into one local competition or to much into one score, maybe both. Either way it is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy to early in the season to be bashing any teams. At this rate you are going to be real tired by the GPF. Give all the skaters a break.

26. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

kwanfan1818

Skating is sometimes not fair and often there have been teams (never said all are guaranteed a spot ever) that could have had a US spot that were maybe passed over for someone else. It happens and it is the nature of the sport...or many sports for that matter not just pairs.

Has it never happened to you?? You have never worked hard had your parents sacrifice and your whole family and through blood sweat and tears that year the outcome is for another.?? It happens in the words of my grandmother it is "character building tea" necessary for survival...

I also said that Y/R deserved everything that they can qualify for and someone else mentioned that if it were my own family...I would want them to get everything they could benefit from in life and they are right about that. (not sure if that was you)

I think at Liberty the Teams showed much promise Z/B were awesome they also skated very well at Nats in 2012...are they doing an international? They should be! S/K who are newer than Y/R and also a split team they both were 7th and 10th at Nats with other partners I think? and both placed above V/B...I am not sure on that though...and there were a few others from 2012 Senior and Junior that did well and aren't on Internationals this year...

...I know everyone can't go. Everyone in their own time...building and growth it is very individual(team) ... we have so many young teams even in Juniors that show so much promise....Look at B/T who got out there with her competing Senior Pairs after just passing the tests?

Your points are noted....and respected I do not mean to offend or cause such seemingly well passionate responses...but I do not necessarily agree and that should be ok.......:lol:

27. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Yes but you seem to have missed the point that GP spots, except at Skate America, are not distibuted by country. Y/R have not recieved a USA spot at all for anything at this point so they can't have taken a USA spot.

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

You wrote: "Also a lot of teams had the points for that spot and one in-particular was a team that lost that spot they had earned that YEAR through skating... were slotted for a spot they earned and lost it because of this new longer split rule."

I'm asking how they "earned" it. Based on what criteria?

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Based on what I saw at Liberty, Felicia Zhang/Nate Bartholomay are definitely ready for and worthy of their first Senior B international assignment together - hope they get one!

Yes, and based on what I saw of their SP on the Broadmoor Open webcast in June, Scimeca/Knierim are also looking good for a Senior B assignment as long as they perform well enough in their FS debut today at Skate Detroit.

Who besides Duarte/Grafton who have aged out/moved up to Senior? D/G weren't at their best at Liberty and the U.S. JGP pairs assignments haven't been announced yet (should be next week), but at least 3 teams will be at the Lake Placid JGP -- see Rochelle's post about the JGP pair candidates here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3630901#post3630901

30. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

I was comparing scores from the same local competition, wasn't I?

I had no intention of bashing anyone, and I don't think I "bash" anyone, but we may have different opinions of what constitutes "bashing". I did mock Caitlin's silly, and hopefully joking, comment about Josh's looks.

Give skaters a break? I'm not talking to the skaters here AFAIK, nor did I say anything offensive, but if you are Caitlin and felt offended, then I'm sorry, but you shouldn't take comments that are mere speculation and passing time, and in no way personal, too seriously. Again, if you are Caitlin, I think you are the most graceful and elegant of all the American ladies skating Pairs and I really wish you to do well.

I was just commenting on a forum, really. Maybe I will put a :D after every other word so you don't worry about me being too serious or getting tired (very nice of you, by the way :) ).

Sorry to everyone else for taking up space with kinda off topic replies. It won't happen again. Now FSU is accusing me of "hacking Evan's twitter" :lol: I love it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.