US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I really hope that they can get consistent on their jumps this season. Their lines and their presentation in general are really stunning and they stand out from the crowd (plus, he's :swoon:).
  2. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

OMG, I can't wait to see this. Lady Caliph is gorgeous music and should really suit their stunning qualities.

I hope her jumps have improved.

I honestly believe that aside from the sbs jumps, Donlan & Speroff are the finest American pair, by far.
  3. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

Liberty: Zhang/Bartholomay very strong in winning short- big 3 twist, 3 toes (she step out), and huge 3 lutz throw. Better transitions and speed and are relating well to each other in program. 49. score seemed low although it was 9 points ahead of closest team
  4. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Sounds great for them! I'm also happy that she was able to do triples

Also surprised that this program would only get 49 pts. nationally. Maybe she had a severe UR or something on the SBS 3toe?
  5. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

It could just be chalked up to low levels. This is pretty common in the early part of the season with all the rule changes.
  6. Subway

Subway New Member

Came into this thread landing on just your post and one above and thought you had to be talking about Donlan & Speroff. I hope her sbs jumps improve too; I so want them to break out. They're a gorgeous team, just need to back and fill in some areas. Others are already brilliant. I don't worry about element security with them so much as injury. Injuries to both held them back.

Yanakowskas and Reagan look very sexy together with really nice natural grace. At this stage they seem slow and he seems tentative, but solid in what he does do, if that makes sense.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  7. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

Liberty Senior Longs:

Zhang/Bartholomay: 3 twist, 3 toes, 2 axel- 2 axel series, 3 sal throw, 3 lutz throw, nice carry lift at end of program- solid elements with improved speed, a clean long program in July. Impressive.

Kemp/King: 3 twist messy, nice lifts, 3 loop throw, 3 flip throw step out, not much for jumps but a good program for them.

Duarte/Grafton: 3 toe-2 toe not bad but he doesn't do 2 toe, 2 twist, miss both throws, second jump pass and a lift comes down...ouch.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  8. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Skater groups are posted for Skate Detroit (next weekend), and a relatively solid turn out for the pairs:
    http://evt.sk8stuff.com/lister_event_detail.asp?id=4475

Yankowskas/Reagan are listed for both Senior SP & FS -- their competitive debut. Is this the competitive debut for Baga & Toth as well? I noticed Kiri is also entered in the Senior ladies events.

Senior Pairs entered (All 7 teams entered in SP & FS):
    Baga & Toth **
    Denney & Frazier
    Moore-Towers & Moscovitch -- CAN **
    Purdy & Marianaro -- CAN **
    Scimeca & Knierim
    Steele & Schultz -- CAN **
    Yankowskas/Reagan

Junior Pairs entered (All 11 teams entered in SP & FS):
    Aaron & Settlage
    Bell & Sylvester -- CAN
    Calalang & Sidhu
    Conway & Sherriff-Clayton -- CAN **
    Jones & Beharry -- CAN **
    Liu & Perini
    Oltmanns & Santillan **
    Orr & Furiano -- CAN **
    Rau & Simpson -- CAN **
    Simpson & Blackmer
    Zaitsev & Stevens **

**= entered in Indy Challenge the following weekend (Aug. 3-5)
  9. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Baga and Toth are competing already? I feel like they just formed! Hopefully Baga has been able to get a solid pairs foundation. I hope and pray that Donlan/Speroff can somehow jump. Such a beautiful pair, with only one real area of weakness. Such a shame. And do we know why Denney/Coughlin didn't attend the Evening on Ice exhibition? Just trying to get fully caught up on the American pairs scene.

There's only so much you can do earlier in the program, and you need to try to get as many elements in the bonus as you can. Last year, Marley/Brubaker had the 3 sal throw late in the program and didn't land it all that cleanly, so they may not be sacrificing any cleanliness by putting the throw 3 lutz/flip later instead. They haven't shown a real tendency to land one throw (cleanly) more often than the other in competition. So you might as well put the harder one later, especially since your main American competition always puts their harder throw second, too. And if M/B are really working on a throw 3A, that would certainly replace the first throw if it was ever ok enough to compete.

I still think they have limited chemistry, but I think the softness of the program can help mask some of that. I find the program pleasant. Marley has the same random little knee bends that detract from her lines, and the lifts aren't all that great, but I think they're an improvement over last year's and hopefully they'll look better later on. I think it's a lot to expect a lot of transitions from them. For example, judging by the double twist they did, it's clear the triple twist still isn't second nature for them, so a transition beforehand may make it substantially harder to get the clean catch they're trying to get.
  10. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

I would bet the farm that there will be a number of withdrawals at this competition namely Baga/Toth and Caitlin/Josh.
  11. icelover

icelover New Member

Hi Rochelle,

Do you have the list of novice pairs as well?
  12. hippychick

hippychick New Member

IIRC Donlan and Speroff were one of the few pair teams who had both of their throws in the second half of their program last year at Nationals and were successful. While they don't do a throw flip or lutz the throws they do are huge and garner them a lot of points. Was looking forward to hearing reports on their progress at Liberty, too bad they withdrew. They seemed to have kept a pretty low profile the last couple of months, at least I have not heard that much about them.

I hope that the new teams Baga/Toth and Leng/De Luc are willing to take the time to really develope their pair skills and are not banking on strong single skills alone. In most cases it takes several seasons for the unison etc. to develop.

As for Yankowskas and Reagan, anxious to see what they can do.
  13. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Skate Detroit Novice pairs

Elizabeth Egbers/Jacob Simon
    Sophia Dai/Jeffrey Fishman
    Lianna Thomas/David Botero
    Annabelle & Joel Schneider-Farris
    Elizabeth Swenor/Rocky Swenor CAN
  14. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Steele/Schultz (Sr - CAN) & Conway/Sherriff-Clayton (Jr - CAN) have both withdrawn from Indy Challenge, so it'll be interesting to see if they appear at Skate Detroit. Therefore, I imagine that they will be two of the withdrawing teams from Skate Detroit.
  15. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Amen. Not only for these two teams, but for ALL of the new / nearly new teams -- regardless of whether the new teams are composed of experienced pairs skaters, or those new to pairs.
  16. icelover

icelover New Member

Thanks for the novice list, Sammy!:)
  17. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

This is true. Zhang/Bartholomay also had 2 throws in second half last year and according to reports from Liberty, they have hit them again solid. I see this team building a fan base very quickly with their consistency.

Remember ISU needs a certain amount of points from the technical side to qualify for Worlds, 4CC etc. I would caution too much hope in the Donolan/Speroff jump situation, but they are a lovely couple, I just remember their Summer/Fall competitions from last year.
  18. hippychick

hippychick New Member

If Takahashi and Tran can garner enough technical points for Four Continents and Worlds with their jump issues I don't see that Donlan and Speroff would have an issue meeting a miinimum score. They certainly need lots of work on their jumps, but they gain plenty of technical points in other areas. They may just be one of these teams who build throughout each season. There were several teams last season who started out these season strong but did not finish that way.
  19. olympic

Icenetwork article on Zhang / Bartholomay -

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120723&content_id=35420712&vkey=ice_news

snip (details about program):

I applaud their ambition and drive!

Oh, and he's all different levels of hot :swoon:

Here's a 7/20 article from Icenetwork just after the SP. It talks about wanting to do a 3t-3t seq.

It apparently didn't happen at Liberty, but maybe this will happen later in the season
  20. feraina

feraina Active Member

Very impressive from Zhang/Bartholomay!
  21. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Skate Detroit Senior Pairs SP (6 teams competed):
    K Moore-Towers/D Moscovitch CAN 59.47 [32.92 TES/26.55 PCS], A Scimeca/C Knierim (new) 58.49 [34.29/24.00], H Denney/B Frazier 50.18 [28.18/23.00 -1], M Purdy/M Marinaro CAN 48.00 [25.95/22.05], C Yankowskas/J Reagan (new) 36.92 [18.62/19.30 -1], K Baga/T Toth (new) 36.67 [16.92/19.75]
    julieann and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

I've also posted these results/scores and some info about Scimeca/Knierim in the Skate Detroit thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3630153#post3630153
    (I also tweeted Jr Pairs SP & FS scores earlier.)
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  23. apollo13

apollo13 Member

Wow! Amazing score, good for them...
  24. olympic

Sylvia,

Did Y/R really score a 36.92 at Skate Detroit in the SP (per your tweet)?? :yikes: :scream:
  25. Cloudy_Gumdrops

It's their first competition as a new team. I'm willing to cut them some slack.

Honestly, I think some people were so excited over Caitlin finally getting a partner that they had some wicked unrealistic expectations.

It takes some teams longer to gel than others. I'd give them a few years before expecting them to contend for national medals.
  26. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM New Member

Really impressed with Scimeca/Knierim's scores! I'm very curious to see their programs. It looks like romance suits them. :)

Do we know anything about B. Simpson/M. Blackmer? Last I heard they were first in the Jr Pairs SP. I hope they could keep the lead in the FS, I really enjoyed their skates a lot last season. Also, if anyone knows their music choices and would like to share, it'd be highly appreciated. :)

Thanks to Sylvia and everyone who posts updates from competitions. :respec:
  27. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Sylvia has posted scores from Skate Detroit on her awesome blog. :)

http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/2012-skate-detroit-results-in-progress/
  28. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Thaaank you- I have been waiting for this statement since the beginning of their partnership
  29. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM New Member

30. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Are they a couple off the ice?
  31. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

Does anyone know what Y/R did tech? or what they skated to??. IF it was like skate for hope there could lie the problem and new or not they both have enough tech and experience to complete elements that is why they got international spots already.... There are other new teams that skated and Y/R did skate for hope...like M/B did they just did not do or try pair elements such as over head lifts and triple throw...so something is up there....and with Internationals coming they really don't have "years to gel"... it is just not usual..yes little things like timing and sometimes line but elements...S/K have been together less than Y/R ...so...a little concerned about Y/R but wish them best no ones expecting perfection but a preview sooo....,what about B/T what did they skate to?...seems like a cute team and she is competing senior ladies too...wow ...D/F seem to be on a good roll for their JGP's...,,but also true it does take some teams longer than others. Just wondering about the internationals Y/R were given when they are not ready maybe someone else who is more ready should have those..it is definitely not a "wicked unrealistic expectation" to expect them to do senior pair elements.....but then again not always good to second guess I suppose...hope we get to see video soon! and there is still the long....but that is usually harder given the beginning of the season takes months to train a long consistently..so we may see some struggles there from all the teams Junior and Senior...just takes about 5 months of training a program to nail everything in a long.....but will be fun to watch these programs emerge if we get to see them at some point..... keep us posted!!!
  32. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM New Member

I don't know how old are they, and I don't want to break any forum rules, but she tweets all the time about them. Take a look for yourself https://twitter.com/lexxapaige :)
  33. Cloudy_Gumdrops

On Goldenskate, the poster Arianne said that Y&R missed the throw and he missed the 3toe.

Hope it's okay to post that. :)
  34. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

Then;
    #1) Don't take advantage of the split pair to attain a Team USA spot if you are not ready
    #2) Allow another team who is more ready to take that spot and take your time and gel and try for 2018 or Worlds etc...

I do wish them all the best...and I had high expectations true..maybe that was wrong...
    It is not fair for them to take a Team USA spot then.. Especially when we are talking about Team USA Pairs. It is fine to take more time...take all the time you need but don't take a spot away from a team that is ready based on what you did before...I prefer teams take their time to "gel" ..prove themselves and keep "expectations" real for them..and not be rushed...for some it's better. Their first international team usa competition is around the corner....no one is expecting a clean skate right now.especially for long that takes time months usually for new teams...but for short....just go for it ...although I still do not know what they did technically so I may be speaking out of turn here...just some thoughts. ....still wishing them the best though...who knows could have been an off night long still to come..
  35. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

wow- you are certainly right...well good for them!
  36. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

Wow you are right...also thxs for posting about Y/R better luck in long...moving forward...long is tough this early in the season especially with the three lifts.so all the teams may struggle a bit.....so good vibes to all the teams and lots of oxygen!!:dog:!!!! Still excited about the season to come!
  37. madm

madm Active Member

Alexa is 21 and Chris is 24.
  38. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM New Member

Thank you! It was too late for me to check. Then yes, Alexa and Chris are definitely a couple off ice, and it's obviously a plus for them on the ice so far. :) They're cute together.

I'm pretty sure they're not the only pairs team who are an off ice team too.

Y/R results are a bit shocking, but I agree that it was too be expected. I know many people wants Caitlin to do well, me included!, but it's unrealistic that they'll just show up and :kickass: I also think a lot of people don't give Coughlin enough credit, I know it was a weird situation between them and that John isn't Mr. Elegant Skater, but he did his job and did it well, Caitlin didn't skate alone, and he's delivered when it counted the most. Also I've noticed some people have a way to high opinion of Reagan :shuffle: He has better lines than Coughlin, obviously, and he has a mop of blond hair and blue eyes that Caitlin seems to value so much :D but he's not that great yet. :slinkaway

I hope Y/R get a lot better soon, because it would be tragic that they took a spot in the GP at the level they seem to be at now. I've only watched their performance at Skate for Hope, I know I can't judge anything by that, but it wasn't encouraging, and these scores kinda supported that first impression.

I could have just quoted oldskoolsk8tr, cloudy_gumdrops, jdonavan about Y/R. I'm new to posting here, I'll get more FSU savvy with time (I hope.)
  39. oldskoolsk8tr

oldskoolsk8tr New Member

Awe Crankyintheam
    You bring up a great point....people do not often realize that the boys are a part of the equation and John did his job and as you so stated did it well...So it can be said that pairs are WAY more complicated than we might want to believe or see.

It takes the right connection and both skaters to pull off kind of amazing feats at the same exact time. When you think about it when you have a clean skate that is awesome soooo much goes into that and because a couple is good doesn't mean when and if they split they will be amazing separately although I know it happens. Just wanting to give kudos to these pairs...in the 80's it was not like this at all!!!

I think Y/R will skate better in the long but I also think it is early for a clean long so all the teams may struggle and that is normal. Look at the long M/B just did all doubles they basically just walked through the program easy to get it clean and work on endurance cause lets face it...takes time to build for the season so good for S/K, D/F, and B/T, Y/R ...so growth although hard can be the stepping stone to greatness...:scream:
  40. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Without seeing the protocols I'm not sure how anyone can say it was shocking. I also don't know of anyone who said they would show up and kick ass.

Coughlin and Denney both had good partners for a few years (both US Champs, each getting 6th and 7th at Worlds) before teaming up. Yankowskas sat out a year before teaming up Reagan who the best he ever did with Cain was 4th at Jr Worlds, so her former partners are not exact equals. He has only been a serious pairs skater since 2009. To compare the two is silly.

As far as your comment 'it would be tragic that they took a spot in the GP at the level they seem to be at now' - that is her right under the rules set by the ISU and she's not the only skater to use it. If you have a problem with it, write the ISU. If it benefited a skater you were related to, you would have no problem with it ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.