US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Exciting. Based on someone else's comment it sounds like she is flying through the tests.

2. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Does anyone know who is coaching LeDuc and Leng?

3. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

If they want to compete this season, Leng needs to pass her Senior Pairs test before the qualifying season deadline of Sept. 1st. ETA: And I believe she would need to have passed her Junior Pairs test if she wanted to skate up at Indy Challenge.
    Serguei and Elena Zaitsev, it appears (they also coach Andrews/Anderson and "Divette"/Utah ;)).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  4. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Wow, that was a quick spread of the news. Since the cat is out of the bag on this one, I can confirm...

Dee Dee & Tim had their tryout the final week of June.

She tested and passed PreJuvenile Pairs, Juvenile Pairs, Intermediate Pairs, and Novice Pairs back-to-back (with Tim as her partner) at a special test session on July 5, having no prior pairs experience that I'm aware of.

Then yesterday (July 14) she tested and passed her Junior Pairs test (w/ Tim as partner) at the I/WSA FSC test session. She only started to learn the Double Twist on Thursday... which is required in the test.

It was necessary for her to pass the Junior Pairs test by today, since today is the last day for late entries for the Indy Challenge pairs competition -- and in order to skate up to Senior she needed her Junior Pairs test. Whew!

They will test Senior Pairs in August, prior to the deadline to enter the US Figure Skating qualifying competitions -- and will debut in competition at Indy Challenge with the Senior SP event (no FS).

5. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Given this news, who all do we still have competing in Senior Pairs thus far this season?

Denney/Coughlin (S1 at 2012 US Nationals)
    Marley/Brubaker (S2)
    Donlan/Speroff (S4)
    Castelli/Shnapir (S5)
    Zhang/Bartholomay (S8)
    Vise/Baldwin (S9)
    Fehr/Biver (S13... or was that a one time thing?)
    Denney/Frazier (J1)
    Duarte/Grafton (J3)

Cassie Andrews/Nicholas Anderson (RE-TEAM)
    Kiri Baga/Taylor Toth (NEW)
    Lindsay Davis/Mark Ladwig (NEW)
    Tarah Kayne/Daniel O'Shea (NEW)
    Dee Dee Leng/ Tim LeDuc (NEW)
    Alexa Scimeca/Chris Knierim (NEW)
    Caitlin Yankowskas/Joshua Reagan (NEW)

Did I miss anyone?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

:respec:

7. Sylvia

Thanks for the confirmation of Leng/LeDuc, Rochelle - quite a rigorous and condensed testing schedule!

I think you've listed all the known Senior teams in addition to Leng/LeDuc as soon as she tests up. Fehr/Biver didn't compete until Nationals last season, so I don't know their current status (they have an official site and Facebook page, but no recent news about the team).

Byes to 2013 Nationals known at this time: Denney/Coughlin, Marley/Brubaker, Donlan/Speroff, Castelli/Shnapir (1-2 & 4-5 at 2012 Nationals), plus Yankowskas/Reagan (Cup of China) and presumably Davis/Ladwig (NHK).

8. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

So that likely sets up Senior pairs sectionals distribution to be:
    Zhang/Bartholomay (S8) -- EAST
    Vise/Baldwin (S9) -- PAC
    Fehr/Biver (S13) -- MID
    Denney/Frazier (J1) -- MID or PAC
    Duarte/Grafton (J3) -- EAST or PAC
    Cassie Andrews/Nicholas Anderson (RE-TEAM) -- MID
    Kiri Baga/Taylor Toth (NEW) -- MID or EAST
    Tarah Kayne/Daniel O'Shea (NEW) -- MID or EAST
    Dee Dee Leng/ Tim LeDuc (NEW) -- MID
    Alexa Scimeca/Chris Knierim (NEW) -- MID

With that mix... and the coaches seem to discuss this stuff before the deadline... looks like with the current teams it'd probably be 4 Mid; 3-4 East; 2-3 Pacs as a best case scenario. But perhaps not. Will be interesting to see how that pans out.

And of course there is still time for other teams to split, or to form. Who else out there is actively partner-less but assumed searching for senior partners out of the experienced US pairs skaters? Andrea P.? Amanda Dobbs? Ashley Cain? Joe Lynch? Drew Meekins? Ivan Dimitrov? Not that these are the only potential people in the pool... Kiri Baga and Dee Dee Leng weren't really on the active radar for pairs, and Nick Anderson had been out of the picture for two years and not on partner search.

9. Sylvia

My list of Sectional possibilities based on the clubs the skaters represented last season and so far this season...

EASTERN:
    Zhang/Bartholomay E/E - train in E
    Duarte/Grafton E or P - train in M
    Kayne/O'Shea (new) E or M - train in E
    Baga/Toth (new) M or E - train in M

MIDWESTERN:
    Scimeca/Knierim (new) M/M
    Andrews/Anderson (re-team) M/M
    Leng/LeDuc (new) M/M
    Fehr/Biver S13 M/M
    H. Denney/Frazier M or P (JGP) - train in M
    Vise/Baldwin M or P
    Baga/Toth (new) M or E

PACIFIC COAST:
    Vise/Baldwin M or P - train in P
    H. Denney/Frazier M or P (JGP)
    Duarte/Grafton E or P

10. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Thanks, Sylvia! :) Any chance you have a running list of the Juniors for this season?

11. Sylvia

We should know more after Indy Challenge, but here are the 16 Junior teams I know about at this time (not going to attempt Sectional possibilities yet! ;)):

* = ISU Junior age-eligible this season

*Britney Simpson/Matthew Blackmer J2
    *Jessica Calalang/Zack Sidhu J4
    *Jessica Pfund/AJ Reiss J5
    *Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage J6
    *Brianna de la Mora/Taylor Wilson J8
    *Olivia Oltmanns/Joshua Santillan J9
    *Audrey Goldberg/Joseph Dolkiewicz J10
    Cali Fujimoto/Nicholas Barsi-Rhyne J11
    Chelsea Liu/Devin Perini N1
    Caitlin Fields/Jason Pacini N2
    Alexandria Shaughnessy/James Morgan N3
    *Christina Zaitsev/Ernie Utah Stevens N4
    *Caitlin Belt/Michael Johnson (4th at 2012 Youth Olympic Games)
    *AnnaMarie Pearce/Matej Silecky (new)
    Alyssa McDougal/Paul Schatz (new)
    Brenna Doherty/Craig Norris (new)

12. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfMIopayN4c

Yankowskas and Reagan at Skate For Hope.

I think it was posted up thread, but you had to be an ice network subscriber to see it.

I really like them together. Obviously, there's a lot of work needed there (as with all new partnerships), but I really think they suit each other. They've got great chemistry. It's soooo nice to see Caitlin skating again. Ugly dress though. Not a great color for her.

13. Sylvia

Many thanks to legjumper for this video of Marley/Brubaker's new FS to "Umbrellas of Cherbourg" (their exhibition at L.A. Open) that was originally posted in the U.S. Club Competitiions thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ALGTtcu93U

ETA: Doug Mattis tweeted from L.A. Open that M/B's SP music is "Hernando's Hideway."

Nan and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Isn't that the music used for the Canasta Tango compulsory dance?

15. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

Yes, "Hernando's Hideaway" is one of the selections for the Canasta. There are a lot of versions, of course. It's originally from a Broadway show, "The Pajama Game".

16. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

L/L - (Leng/Leduc) - I read their Icenetwork Bios: She is 5-1, he is 6-1, so I think the size difference works well. She will obviously present good individual elements due to her singles background ('09 Jr. National ladies Champ) and he already does. My only concern is he looks slight thru the upper body and seemed to struggle on lifts w/ Cassie at '12 Nats. But, I don't know if it's his build, or perhaps he and Cassie just lacked good cohesion / communication at that point. They split up soon afterwards.

Y/R - Their 'debut' was shaky but I now think this was due to the fact that they cobbled together the program just before Skate for Hope. I think they said it was put together the night before! I can't wait to hear about them from Skate Detroit!

M/B - Wow! This program is a big leap for them! So much more mature. They skate this clean, they could be '13 National Champs!

17. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

This should help wipe away mental images of the Canasta Tango:

Sasha Cohen Exhibition Worlds 2002

18. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Very lovely new lp from Marley/ Brubaker. Rain one season, Umbrellas the next -- makes sense. ;) Looking forward to seeing more from them -- a great pair!

19. madm

madm Active Member

I recall seeing Amanda Luchau and Andrew Speroff skating their Novice Pair SP to Hernando's Hideaway in 2007. It is great music!

20. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

I just watched and cannot wait to see this fully trained later on in the season. It's a beautiful program, IMO.

21. icelover

icelover New Member

It is beautiful and sophisticated. Yes, it should be spectacular later in the season!

22. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I love Mary Beth/ Rockne new LP, as well.

23. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the links! Very excited about Y/R-sooo much potential there. And great chemistry already! I can't wait to see what they look like further into their partnership.

And M/B get better and better. I'm really pulling for them this year.

24. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Mary Beth has grown up, how old is she now? She really looked in that clip to have a lot more style. Exciting!

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Re: M/B's program.

The upper body movement is elegant but limited and they just keep doing cross-overs all the time. Ice coverage could be a bit better as well. Meh.

26. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

They've been together less than 2 yrs., and this is July, so the program was really a test drive bound to be full of cross-overs. They need to hit the elements, but I think viewers' impression was that they made another leap forward from last season.

27. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Her posture and lines have improved. They have all the qualities to hit the big tricks, but it is the small details that need to be addressed. It is gutsy to put that throw so late in the program.

28. legjumper

legjumper Active Member

Mary Beth is now 17.

M/B's performance at the L.A. Open was clearly meant to be a first-time public walkthrough of their new program. During the warm-up, they didn't do any SBS jumps and mostly concentrated on lifts. That said, I don't expect the program to suddenly be all transitions by Nationals. Mary Beth and Rockne have only been together for about two years at this point, which is also the length of time Mary Beth has been doing pairs, or skating at the senior level, period. That they've come this far, this quickly is a testament to their talent and hard work. It's unrealistic to expect World medal-caliber programs at this stage of their partnership.

Besides, I'm sure any criticism of M/B will be small potatoes once everyone sees what Denney/Coughlin are doing. ;)

ETA: kirkbiggestfan, I keep wondering if the throw will be moved up in the program. Trying a throw triple lutz that late seems to be just asking for a fall.

29. hippychick

hippychick Member

Donlan and Speroff have a new website on FSO. Loved their story!

30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

To your "meh," I say "More please" from Mary Beth and Rockne, and Kudos for all they've accomplished in such a short time.

Thank you, olympic!

I think it is both the small and large details that they and their coaches are constantly addressing and working hard on. :)

Let's wait and see how the program progresses during the season. Putting in the throw at the end is like training a "Quad." To improve and be competitive, you've got to go for what those who are winning championships and medals are going for and accomplishing, no?

Thanks, legjumper.

About the throw at the end, see my above comment in response to kirkbiggestfan -- what's wrong with working on what's going to make you more competitive with the top teams?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.