US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  2. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

Long was only performed by Zhang/ Bartholomay and Kayne/O'Shea

Z/B: skated to WSS and had improved speed than last season- 3 twist (small crash) both throws doubles because of her recovering injury (I was told by Mom in audience)- sbs 2 axels with steps before and 3 toe skip 3 toe series- again she only did doubles, but his was rock solid. Nice "Maria" slow piece, they were both deep into character...Great difficult lifts- last one with carry at end into end position.

K/O: This team has a great speed- solid sbs 3 sals, she went down on 2 axel series- lifts good- (they also end program with lift) 3 sal throw huge but fall and a big double twist- Rachmaninov long- they seem to relate to each other very well considering it was (I heard) her first pair competition- fun to see this team develop through "boot camp" of Liberty and Indy-

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thanks, carriemarie.

According to the local article (see post #83 for link): "[Tarah] Kayne recently missed a month of action with a torn ligament in her ankle" and Zhang/Bartholomay "have bypassed jumps and throws for several weeks after [Felicia] Zhang took a bad fall."

SP detailed protocols for Davis/Ladwig, Zhang/Barthomay, Kayne/O'Shea (plus GBR's Kemp/King): http://www.icejudge.com/documents/competitions/copfsc/2012/results/SEGM008.html

FS detailed protocols for Zhang/Bartholomay and Kayne/O'Shea: http://www.icejudge.com/documents/competitions/copfsc/2012/results/SEGM011.html

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  4. apollo13

apollo13 Member

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

:eek:

Still getting used to typing the new team's names.

I've edited in the correction. :D

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Todd Sand and Jenni Meno will coach 4 teams at the Los Angeles Open in mid-July: Marley/Brubaker, Jessica Calalang/Zack Sidhu (JGP-eligible), Chelsea Liu/Devin Perini (novice champs, now junior), and Lianna Thomas/David Botero (new novice team).

Jessica Pfund/AJ Reiss (JGP-eligible), coached by Peter Oppegard, are also making their season debut at LA Open, along with Elise Middleton/Robert Hennings, who are staying Novice (they were 5th in Novice at 2012 Nationals).

ETA: Christina "Divette" Zaitsev/Ernie Utah Stevens (4th in Novice at Nationals, JGP-eligible) will skate their Junior programs in exhibition at a competition in Troy, Ohio the same weekend as LA Open.

@KiriBaga tweeted today:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That's a good decision by Baga. She didn't have a full arsenal of triples and her slight build is perfect for pairs.

Good luck on that skary twist. ;)

8. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Wait. Sorry. Who is Kiri skating with?

9. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Taylor Toth.

And Ziggy, I don't think Baga has said anything yet about giving up singles.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Kiri Baga already has competed in singles this season and plans to continue - she's in USFS' International Selection Pool for singles and still JGP age-eligible at 17. Baga/Toth are scheduled to compete (debut?) at Indy Challenge in early August - Jeremy Allen is their pairs coach in Chicago.

11. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Divaette and Utah! :cheer2: I so hope these two kids stay together. Such potential.

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I've started an Indy Challenge competition thread in the 2012-13 Kiss and Cry forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84192

It looks like Dalilah Sappenfield's and Meno/Sand's teams are electing not to compete at Indy this year.

For those who want to watch the exhibition programs of Yankowskas/Reagan (starting around the 21:30 min. mark) and Marley/Brubaker (26:00 min. mark) at last month's "Skate for Hope," video of the entire show is now up at IceNetwork: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3613473#post3613473

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  13. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

Thanks Sylvia...Not a great "start" for Caitlin and Josh: 2 throw sal, fall on 2 toe, shaky "standing still" simple Swan lift, I can see why they aren't competing at Indy now...I predict a withdrawal from Skate Detroit with Camp Delilah showing up in force.

14. icemusings

icemusings Member

15. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Her nickname is "Divette"? Really?? I've got to hear how that came about! :lol:

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Just checked the 2012 U.S. Nationals Novice Pairs play-by-play thread in the FSU Archives, and it looks like rfisher first nicknamed Zaitsev/Stevens "Utah and Divaette" (Utah is Stevens' middle name) and oleada used "Divette." So which should we go with - "Divaette" or "Divette"? ;)

ETA: Thanks for the Brianna de la Mora/Taylor Wilson interview, icemusings!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  17. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

I think "Divette" flows better. :)

18. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Agreed!

But what I want to know is, why? In a sport full of divas to begin with, you must have to do something really spectacular to get that moniker tacked onto you. ;)

19. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

because she is a diva in training. Exquisite lines and carriage. And who could not want to call Ernie Stevens Utah? I will be crushed if they split apart.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  20. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Same here.

I'm glad the Divette nickname didn't fall by the wayside. :)

21. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

:rofl: I'll have to let Christina know that her nickname of Divette is sticking. She's a relatively chill kid off the ice. :)

Ernie Utah will be starting college at Butler this fall (about a 15 minute drive from their training rink), and Christina's parents coach them... so barring the unforseeable injury / growth spurt / quitting / meltdown / partner struggling w/ learning triples / etc. circumstances, I imagine their partnership still has life remaining in it.

22. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:cheer2:

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Speaking of Ernie Utah Stevens :), here's a nice blurb that was published about him in his high school newspaper last month when he graduated from Trinity High School in Louisville, KY: http://my.hsj.org/Schools/Newspaper...d_by_US_Figure_Skating_and_Republic_Bank.aspx

And here's another article from the same source in March 2011 about his training/commuting schedule, his transition from singles to pairs, and his Juvenile and Intermediate level success with "Divette" in spite of his broken toe before Intermediate Nationals in November 2010: http://my.hsj.org/Schools/Newspaper...or_Stevens_its_all_about_getting_back_up.aspx

24. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

I'm pretty sure the most recent article listed is going off of somewhat old information (it is a high school publication, but hey, the first article was better than many of the articles we come across ;) ):

That's kinda true... they did compete at the Novice level for the 2012 Nationals where they placed 4th. But those were in January. The rest of 2012 the expectation is that they'll compete in the Junior level. ;) (Entered in Junior at Troy, and Indy Challenge - -as well as added to the ISP (International Selection Pool)). They will take their junior test in August.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thanks, Rochelle! Stevens mentioned the "2012 Junior Olympics in Austria" as a goal in the March 2011 article -- I assume he meant the inaugural Youth Olympic Games in Innsbruck, but it turned out they weren't eligible to be selected because they competed at the Novice level in the 2011-12 season (not sure they were age-eligible in any case?).

I've learned their SP music is from the film soundtrack of Cocoon.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  26. icelover

icelover New Member

Has anyone seen the pairs events at the LA Open?

27. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

28. icelover

icelover New Member

29. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Tim LeDuc posted on fb today he is signed up for Indy. Does anyone know who he is skating with?

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Looks like DeeDee Leng! She won the 2009 U.S. junior ladies title at the age of 15. Leng, now 18, last competed in the fall of 2009 (JGP in Lake Placid) and then withdrew from the rest of that season due to a back injury.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.