US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think Denney/Frazier are the ones to watch. They have the big tricks, loads of speed and a real fire in them.

I think they will be serious contenders for the spots on the Senior team next season.

2. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

They have really improved this season. Skated really well in Milan. Congrats to them on a gold medal :)

3. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I thought Denney/Frazier's free skate came across much better today than it did at Nationals. Congrats to them. Very rarely is there a winning US pair at any major ISU competition, Jr or Sr-- It hasn't happened in quite a while. And this happens to be their first international medal ever. Great accomplishment!

4. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I DEFINITELY think Haven is the Denney sister to watch. Yay for them!

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Congrats to Haven and Brandon! More great choreo from Julie Marcotte too. Interesting background that D/F started out together in competitive roller skating. :)

6. figureit

figureit Member

They did not leave Sappenfield that long ago at all and given she had the last team that won Jr. World's ...makes sense to give her the credit. I am excited to see what they do next year that will be the true vision of who they are becoming...CONGRATS to them.
    skatak
    added comments:

Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER, USA

La strada. will she die at the end ?

3Tw good
    th3S tilted and off axis, but smooth overall
    sbs 3S, she double footed it
    there is nobody in the stands
    2A - - 2A ok
    sbs spin in unidon and quite close, not so fast
    lift with reverse and re-reverse rotation
    th3Lp very snowy but landed
    strange entrance to the death spiral, seems like they missed the first one

overall the program was not really with the music all the time, not as emotionnal as the music is. but very fast and secure. good job.

Watching it there was a lot of straight knees, and roller skating type movements ..very choppy and not smooth skating jumps are low and spins are a little weird but they are developing so well. They skated very clean but it lacked some obvious maturity and smoothness I expect to see...I compare them to M/B and you start to see it... I am curious to see what their future holds in Senior given they are with John Z now...who has not been very successful coaching pairs.....but it will be exciting to see ...

The other two teams had some rough things happen but man US is doing well.... everyone was top 10 and all three that is pretty good..My favorite team was the team that was 7th in the short and won the FS....AMAZING...they will be blazing the Senior ranks!

7. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Um... no.

8. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Wow, really? I didn't realize they hadn't medaled at any of their JGP events. Good for them!

9. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Congrats to Denney/Frazier first US pair to win the World Junior Title since McLaughlin & Brubaker in 2007. :D

10. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Originally Posted by figureit
    They did not leave Sappenfield that long ago at all and given she had the last team that won Jr. World's ...makes sense to give her the credit.

Originally Posted by Reese
    Um... no.

Actually I agree with Figureit. Delilah had them go to Marcotte, she had them up until October I believe, and clearly they are using her technique on twist and throws.

11. aftershocks

You can give credit to whomever you wish, figureit. I simply congratulated Haven and Brandon, without mentioning anything about credit. But since you bring it up, frankly IMO, D/F along with Julie Marcotte deserve most of the credit. :)

I would imagine Delilah is very pleased to see her former students, Haven and Brandon, achieving this success at Junior Worlds. So all involved must be very happy indeed.

12. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

It seems like Dalilah Sappenfield is great at the technical side of skating and developing consistency (for the most part). Training at altitude is also probably a big help for her skaters. She probably just needs to team with a strong choreographer.

13. figureit

figureit Member

Apparently she does as Jdonavan said "Delilah had them go to Marcotte, she had them up until October I believe, and clearly they are using her technique on twist and throws".
    It sounds like Sappenfield sent them to Marcotte and it is possible she uses choreographers good ones then. Thanks for the info...interesting stuff.

14. figureit

figureit Member

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

From the Junior Worlds Pairs FS article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130228&content_id=42127132&vkey=ice_news

16. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the latest info., Sylvia! :)

And on that note :respec:CONGRATULATIONS TO DENNEY & FRAZIER FOR BECOMING ONLY THE 5TH AMERICAN PAIR TEAM IN HISTORY TO WIN JR. WORLDS!!!!:kickass: *bow*

I too prefer artistry above all when it comes to pairs, but as the late Alexander Zhuk once said "technique will *always* come before artistry"...

and rightfully so!

17. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  18. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

19. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Is farming out choreography something that Dalilah does on a regular basis though? D/F is the 1st team of hers that I've heard of being associated with any top choreographers (sincere question).

-----------------------------------

I've watched D/F's program x2. I noticed (and this was pointed out by the UK commentators) that they are fast but they use short, rapid strokes to generate speed instead of long, deep strokes. Is this an issue in any way with judges? Also, Haven is listed as 17 yrs. old (turns 18 in October) and is 4-11. I hope she's already been through any growth spurt ....

Hats off to them. I'm so proud of them!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Sappenfield sent Denney/Coughlin to Pasquale Camerlengo for both their programs this season but she choreographed a new SP for them after the original one didn't go over well at Champs Camp.

21. figureit

figureit Member

22. madm

madm Active Member

According to the info in past Nationals' programs, Dalilah has collaborated on choreography for her junior and senior teams with Damon Allen, Marina Zoueva, Pasquale Camerlengo, Julie Marcotte, Renee Roca, Kristine Hough, Zuzanna Parchem, and Heidi Thibert. The memorable programs performed by Yankowskas and Coughlin when they won 2011 Nationals were choreographed primarily by Zoueva.

23. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

D/F were taught their pairs elements and trained the longest with coaches Jim Peterson and Lyndon Johnston not Dalilah. Haven also spent a year with with Zimmerman with her old partner Raad so must have thought he was a good coach if she went back to him. I'm sure all the coaches were part of helping them win Junior Worlds.

24. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Lea Ann Miller

D/F have bounced around so many times I don't think we can pinpoint exactly where each coach has helped. I'd say all of them contributed in some capacity (with their current coaches doing a good job helping them to prepare for this competition), with the main credit obviously going to the skaters themselves.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier won their first national pairs medal, Intermediate bronze, when they were training in Colorado with Sappenfield in the 2007-08 season (the wording in their Team USA bio doesn't make this clear). When she returned to Florida the next year, Frazier remained in Colorado and skated with Nicole Perkey for one season (5th in Intermediate at 2009 JN) before teaming up with Mandy Garza for 2 seasons (ETA: U.S. Novice 3rd & 1 JGP in 2010, U.S. Junior 5th in 2011). Denney and Frazier re-teamed in Colorado in the spring of 2011.

Yes. :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  26. shan

shan Well-Known Member

If she indeed uses outside choreography, then why do most of her pairs programs look empty? Is it to make the technical consistency possible?

Also, does Tom Dickson do pairs choreography? He's done dance, so I would think he would.

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Because usually she doesn't and the vast majority of her teams have programs choreographed by her.

28. aftershocks

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how Denney/ Frazier will fare next season under a full year's tutelage from John and Silvia.

BTW, FWIW, in your post #948, you are responding to figureit's post, but since figureit did not close-quote my comment that she responded to, it's unclear in your reply post where my comments end and figureit's begin. Only the first two-and-half lines under my user name should be attributed to me, the rest is figureit's impressions. :)

29. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Haven also won a Novice National silver medal under Peterson with Daniel Raad winning the freeskate.

30. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Don't forget, if you can access CBC, the World Jr. Championships will be on soon. Pairs & dance scheduled to be shown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.