US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

As someone pointed out, S/K changed their LP, most likely to be better received by international judges, so who's better in the LP is hard to quantify right now. The only thing we have to go by is what happened at Nationals where both teams skated head-to-head in the final group where S/K won the LP.

As someone else pointed out, S/K scored 59.01 at Coupe de Nice, so I stand by my assessment that they have bigger scoring potential than Z/B. But, I think I misstated that earlier by using the phrase 'usually close to 60 pts.'

Things may have changed with the inclusion of S/K at 4CC's. S/K may have been ahead of both teams. Who knows.

2. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

I agree with this. I was surprised with the scores Pang and Tong were awarded this fall, given the state of some of their elements.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

4. olympic

I meant to post this observation earlier, but US pairs are experiencing some irony right now.

Interestingly in the last decade, it was virtually impossible to find a US team that could just land SBS jumps and all their throw jumps cleanly. Now, they have overcome that obstacle for the most part, only to find in the last quadrennial that the rest of the world has really taken off and that is not nearly enough to matter anymore: Maybe we are behind as a result of US pairs being at a nadir in the middle of last decade (no teams with any sort of star quality) and the simultaneous implementation of CoP which the US was slow to embrace generally. We haven't been helped by our teams parting ways at an unhealthy clip - M/B v. 1.0 not realizing their potential and ultimately disbanding, and the frustration of Y/C getting it together for the 1st time in 2011 only to disband as well.

IDK, just a random thought here in the US pairs thread.

5. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

6. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Best of luck to Rockne and Lindsay with their new partnership.

US nationals next year in Boston is going to be very interesting in senior pairs. Can't wait!

7. Sylvia

Thanks, flyingsit - I've started a new GSD thread with your news: New U.S. Pair: Rockne Brubaker & Lindsay Davis

Re-posting more comments from the S/K cheer thread since they're relevant here:
    It would be exciting to see Castelli/Shnapir go for a throw 3A in their FS but I think it will depend on their placement after the SP at Worlds.

8. olympic

Thanks for transferring my post to here. I happened to have the aforementioned train of thought while posting in the S/K thread!

I personally feel that generally, C/S don't have a lot to lose by going for the throw 3x. The US isn't expected to come close to a medal or even 3 spots for Sochi, and they are pretty safe for 2 spots even with a fall.

Then again, I see your point. IF they are really clean in the SP and find themselves in an unexpected high placement, and there are mistakes by others plus S/K do really well, they may want to go for clean and cautious if they can see 3 spots on the horizon.

9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. Once the rumors that Lindsay and Mark were breaking up got out, there was also speculation that Lindsay and Rockne would tryout -- it seemed almost like a done deal. I guess they waited a respectable time (first to announce the split), then to announce the new pairing, after the tryout. Since there's another thread about this, I'll post more there.

Meanwhile, good look to Lindsay and Rockne. I also hope Mark feels a measure of satisfaction in what he and Lindsay were able to accomplish this season, and most of all in what he and Amanda contributed for so many years to U.S. pairs and to the sport of figure skating. Thank you, Mark, and good luck in your future endeavors. :)

I think C/S are intent on taking the opportunity at Worlds (under not so much pressure as at Nationals) to put some more difficulty out there, since they have been working on difficult throw jumps in practice. Why not go for it on the Worlds' biggest stage? With U.S. pairs heating up, it may be difficult for teams like C/S and S/K to get back to the World stage as quickly as they would like to. Who knows?

And, re olympic's insightful post from the S/K thread in Trash Can, here are my comments posted yesterday in that same thread, which inspired olympic's: ;)

And, voila, Rockne now has an on-ice partner (as well as an off-ice one ;)) seemingly willing to stick for the long haul.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  10. Sylvia

I recently mentioned the following item in the partner search thread in GSD:
    Former U.S. pair competitor Kendra Moyle, now 22 (2006 World Junior silver medalist and 2006 U.S. Junior national champion with Andy Seitz) has been touring with Disney on Ice -- here's a local article in her hometown paper in Michigan that includes this news:

Smiley0884 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Were C/S practicing the throw 3A at Nationals? They haven't been putting into the performances all season in the long.

12. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

From the commentary, I would suspect the throw quad salchow is more likely the upgrade they are considering.

13. Sylvia

Included among the Team USA quotes distributed to the media were these 2 after Castelli/Shnapir's FS at Four Continents:
    Refer back to this May 2012 post in this thread re. Castelli/Shnapir's throw 4S (including a practice video clip): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-amp-updates&p=3571230&viewfull=1#post3571230

14. aftershocks

Thanks, but I couldn't find the quad throw video clip. What page is it on?

15. Sylvia

16. aftershocks

^^ Okay, thanks!

And that was a gorgeous throw 4salchow too. :)

17. olympic

^Thanks for the posts above regarding C/S and their throw jumps.

It seems they have been at the throw 3x for a longer period of time and it's less difficult (on paper) by virtue of 3.5 rotations vs. 4 rotations, so I just assumed that the throw 3x was the first element they would try to upgrade. Does anyone know their success rate in practice with either element?? Wouldn't that be something if they did both!

Thinking about C/S, I wonder why they don't add the SBS 3sal to their LP. It's got a higher base value than either the 3toe and 2x, and they've got a good track record with it. They could try SBS 3toe and 3sal -or- even just SBS 3sal and 2x (whichever one in combo).

18. aftershocks

19. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I've often wondered why they save the 3t for the LP when it is not as good as their SBS 3S. Perhaps they want to keep practicing both jumps and it is one way to do it? However, I think they might have left the 2a in because sometimes they can succeed in 2a2t, which is what they have planned? I don't think they are yet up to having either 3t or 3s in a combination, and they possibly don't want to lose the points there for the sequence.

20. olympic

Good points, especially when you consider that only very recently, have they become consistent in landing SBS triples.

21. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Whoa, so S/K are going to Worlds instead of D/C, that's a bit of shocker since John seemed gungho on going, do or die, but I'm glad he had a change of heart and instead decided to concentrate on next season, which means taking the necessary time to heal properly without rushing it, so that him & Caydee can come back smoking next season! :smokin:

Seriously, I still consider them America's #1 American Pair Team, and rightfully so, they are drop dead gorgeous & FABULOUS in person. *bow*

In the meantime, here's hoping C/S and S/K earn two spots for next year's Olympics.... *crossing fingers*

ps: I'm thinking someone no one expected to make the Olympic Pair Team will do so next year, it's going to be a dogfight! :kickass: Whomever wants it the most will make the team, just like Max Aaron did so this year...

ETA: holy smokes that 4S throw from C/S is out of this f'ing world!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :respec: (they too are FAB in person)

22. Sylvia

International debut at Challenge Cup for 3 U.S. pairs today - Kayne/O'Shea (54.11), Leng/LeDuc (51.79) and Baga/Toth (43.75) are 3rd, 5th and 6th, respectively, after the SP in The Hague - link to detailed protocols (cross-posted in the competition thread in Kiss and Cry): http://kunstrijden.knsb.nl/2012-2013/20130221/TheH210213_SeniorPairs_SP_Scores.pdf
    I know jumps aren't everything in pairs ;), but it's nice to see that all 3 teams landed their sbs triples with + GOE.

23. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

Well, everyone landing their jumps is very good news. Thanks, Sylvia!

24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think Leng/LeDuc probably has the best sbs triples among the American pairs. The 3toes they both did at Nationals were gorgeous.

25. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

My friend in Colorado Springs says that Dalilah has a new pair team? She said they are senior and blonde? And that it looks like they moved to her, not were just starting out together. Does anybody know who this is? Perhaps Yankowskas and Reagan?

26. aftershocks

^^ :sekret: I wouldn't think so, what with Caydee and John (Caitlin's former partner), training with Dalilah as her top team.

Perhaps the new blondies are a U.S. junior team that may have recently paired up, or maybe even an international team.

27. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Congrats to the newbie US teams! 2 teams making the tech. Minimum score and Kayne/O'Shea even passing the original higher tech score! Great job!

28. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Without getting myself in FSU hot water...I would not plan on seeing that team anytime soon...

29. Sylvia

Olivia Oltmanns and Joshua Santillan.

30. aftershocks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.