US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Liberty is right around the corner already. It always impresses me that new partnerships can form, elements prepared, and new programs can be developed in such a short time.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Some pairs should be debuting programs at Broadmoor Open next week.

Thanks. I should have recognized Tim! :eek: BTW, I found the same Indiana local news clip about the Pairs Camp posted on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFWYZr1uChk

I assume he passed easily? ;) I mentioned this in the U.S. Men's thread earlier -- LeDuc is registered to compete in the Senior Men's SP event at Liberty.

3. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

Yes. No heroics, though - just satisfied the requirements of the test. Strong presentation.

4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Biggest audience I've seen at a test session :)

5. Sylvia

Some impressions from the "Skate For Hope" show this past Saturday that were posted in the event thread (IceNetwork is supposed to have on-demand video of the show at some point): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83575:
    Rockne Brubaker, Britney Simpson, and Tim LeDuc (plus ice dancers John & Sinead Kerr and Gilles/Poirier) are quoted in this article about the methods their teams use to maintain unison in side-by-side spins (and twizzles): Synchronicity: Teams work to maintain unison
    One tidbit that caught my eye:

6. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Sounds encouraging for both M/B and Y/R. Question (if it can be answered) - What type of throw jump did Y/R do?

7. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

more importantly...did he actually do a "pair" lift with her?

8. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

At Skate For Hope if I recall correctly... and if I'm incorrect full footage from the show be shown on IceNetwork somtime this summer :p... they did a throw double in their program (not certain - I had a head in the way through part of it - but she had hang time in the air)... and no Group 3/4/5 pair lifts at all (other than a show-program lifted spin... basically a spinning platter lift). Just some lovely dance lifts.

They look to be at a point one would expect in the few months since they partnered up. Caitlin looks fit and ready to go. Notable chemistry. Caitlin is lovely as always, and Joshua had one of his weak-posture-days... so hopefully he polishes that up by the fall.

For the poster who thought thier program was a short program... the music was to "It's a Man's World" and it was choreographed in such a way (that even when modified for about 2/3 of the ice surface) that I highly doubt it's thier SP. Just a nice, hot exhibition.

I talked with Caitlin's mom and if I recall correctly and they're debuting at Skate Detroit, and undecided about Indy Challenge--but most likely won't enter there.

Stay tuned for the icenetwork video for Skate For Hope once it's available. And otherwise, give them time to develop.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  9. grandma

grandma Active Member

reading in the forums, I must say skaters in the US or Canada are so lucky. If they need a new partner they are sure to find one. Even swapping partners is relatively often done.
    In Germany for example finding a new skating partner is an impossible quest.
    There are hardly any girls who are suitable for pairs as they are too tall, or just not slim enough. Many girls prefer to do singles, or trainers try to hang on to them for too long as they need them for money, not interested if their skater might excel more in pairs or dance. When our senior pair or dance skaters end their career after Sochi 2014 their won`t be much following up.

10. Skittl1321

This just isn't true. It may be MORE difficult for skaters in countries with smaller skating programs, but there are many pairs skaters who retire because they cannot find a partner, or who sit out seasons because they didn't find one. This includes high level, very qualified skaters (Caitlin Yankowskas won the national championship, and then sat out a season- not by choice it seems). Drew Meekins, though not as highly ranked as Caitlin, would probably love to hear how easy it is to find a partner (though I think after so many years looking, he is now retired)

And there are even more skaters who wish they could do pairs, but can't because there is no partner. The problems you note: too tall, too heavy, would rather do singles (pairs is kind of a black sheep in the US, sadly), coach won't tell them about opportunities that require a move/parent won't let them move (almost all pairs skaters need to move for a partnership) ALL exist here.

11. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

When Meekins and Vlassov split, they were the reigning World Junior Champions, so he was most definitely ranked higher than Yankowskas when he became available.

12. Skittl1321

I was thinking when he split with Paetsch more recently. But you are right- his search for her was long too.
    I think it is difficult to say how skaters at the junior level compare to those at the senior- but as reigning junior champ, he definitely had amazing promise to do well on the SGP and at nationals on the senior level.

I would say it is -easier- for a man to find a partner, but it still isn't easy at all. You don't want to skate with just anyone, finding the right partner for anyone is extremely difficult.

13. grandma

grandma Active Member

I know it is`t easy anywhere, even in countries with larger skating communities... :( , but regarding that smaller countries have so much to loose if many good junior skaters stop skating, it is rubbish for the ISU to invest so much money in development programs and in due course the countries do not make anything out of it. Letting their skaters waste away, with a federation turning a blind eye and not interested in doing anything.
    At least in the US you have a pairs camp once in a while, and if you are a good skater you will mostly find someone again. I am sorry for Drew Meekins , as I like his skating very much. If someone does not find anybody it is often because the girl might be rather tall for pairs or the boys too small.
    We can all be thankful for icepartnersearch, otherwise it would be even bleaker for the european, specifically the german skaters.
    As good as it may be to start out as juniors, often the girls change very much with puberty, Paetsch ws one example Brynn Carmen another, Ashley cain the list can go on endlessly.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  14. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

FYI Davis/Ladwig competing short program this weekend...no "hot" show numbers for them...lol- Not showing up to Indy is a show of weakness from Caitlin/Josh IMO...

15. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Ummm...no real fandom from my end for either team, but this seems a bit presumptuous - or maybe D/L don;'t have a "hot" number to show. :D

16. olympic

Yeah. I thought that Y/R were definitely going to Indy, reading in another thread their big goal this Summer was debuting both programs there. Maybe, they just want to stay home and do some more work. Or maybe they are confident about Skate Detroit ...

17. Sylvia

Mark Ladwig tweeted this article link yesterday re. Florida pairs competing this weekend: http://www.news-press.com/article/2...ipate-Fort-Myers-Skatium-Summer-Chiller-event (Zhang/Bartholomay and the new team of Kayne/O'Shea are debuting 2 programs, I believe)

Ladwig also tweeted on June 19:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  18. olympic

Was Lindsey only capable of a split double-twist? Mark's tweet makes it sound like a breakthrough

19. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I would think getting the timing for a triple twist for a new pair would be a breakthrough.

20. olympic

True, but I was just racking my brain to recall if Davis/Leftheris did a 3twist ...

21. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

Yes they did.

22. UDelpairs2012

UDelpairs2012 New Member

23. Sylvia

Thanks! Here are direct links to 3 SP videos from the Summer Chiller competition (I'll cross-post them in the US Club Competitions thread in Kiss and Cry):

Davis/Ladwig: http://www.news-press.com/videonetwork/1704051830001/Mark-Ladwig-and-Lindsay-Davis

Zhang/Bartholomay: http://www.news-press.com/videonetwork/1704051843001/Felicia-Zhang-and-Nate-Bartholomay

Kayne/O'Shea: http://www.news-press.com/videonetwork/1704062925001/Tarah-Kayne-and-Danny-O-Shea

ETA that I missed reading this article yesterday that includes comments by the skaters following their short program performances on Saturday: http://www.marcoislandflorida.com/a...katium?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|FRONTPAGE

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  24. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links.

Very promising pairing of Davis/ Ladwig. Debut performance jitters apparent and they need to work more on unison and perfecting their lifts, but I like what I see, and I love their music!

25. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

I thought all 3 teams looked good for June- speed of Kayne/O'Shea was nice and a better mature look from Zhang/Bartholomay - Mark looks good with Lindsay- takes courage to get out there in June especially with video all around!

26. olympic

Z/B - did she double the throw jump? Couldn't tell! Also, I hope they upgrade the SBS jumps from 2x. But, yes, they looked really polished for June.

27. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

She is recovering from hip injury- is only allowed to do up to 2 axel and double throws- should be upgraded by Liberty

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  28. olympic

OK. Good to know. Thanks. Perhaps their great performances from the end of last season have created a hunger for this season, because they both just seemed to be attacking this program (despite the doubles)

29. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

Agreed- I saw the long today and I think they are moving into that top 5 grouping this season...promising for June!

30. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Active Member

Can you give us details about how everyone skated? :fan:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.