US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Denney/Coughlin will not be going to Worlds - re-posting article link from the previous page: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130214&content_id=41632804&vkey=ice_news
    Here's the official press release confirming that Scimeca/Knierim are going to Worlds with Castelli/Shnapir: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48995&type=media
    Denney/Frazier officially have replaced the split team of Davis/Ladwig as third, now second, alternates.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Does this mean D/C were evaluated by a committee and did not pass the evaluation? Or did they voluntarily withdraw?

3. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Interesting that Alexa has recoverd so quickly. Also of interest, Z/B score at 4 cc's was higher than S/K at NHK. I would think Z/B should have been looked at a little more closely for Worlds considering they seem to be on a roll and frankly many felt would have been 2nd at Nationals if they had the required tech. score at that point. Oh well good luck teams in London!

4. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I personally think that's a smart decision by John Coughlin to pull the plug on this season and get totally healthy for the big Olympic year that's coming up.

Best of luck to Marisa & Simon and Alexa & Chris at Worlds!

5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Very sorry for John and Caydee, but if they don't think they're ready, I'm glad they decided to focus on their health and goals for next season. Best wishes to John and Caydee for a full recovery and great Olympic season and best of luck to Alexa and Chris.

6. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

It seems rather odd for the writer to lead with C&S's 2012 results, and not their most recent achievements. I would think that for the current champs something like, "Castelli and Shnapir, the reigning U.S. Championships and 2013 Four Continents bronze medalists....." would be more in order.

I'm not surprised that D&C are out and hope that either S&K or Z&B will be ready. Both teams have the potential to do well.

7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ This. C/S are indeed and should be respected as the current champs and should not be looked upon as just place holders.

I did think John and Caydee might be ready, but it's a wise decision for them to concentrate on John becoming stronger and them both working toward next season.

Best of luck to all U.S. pairs, and especially to the teams heading to Worlds. All 3 of the current top teams are looking strong and ready for the experience. It's great to see the continuing improvement of U.S. pairs.

8. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Once again, proof that this surgery is a big deal and you don't just bounce back from it.

9. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I think they were trying to show that they are on their way up with results that are building.

10. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Won't be easy for C/S to make top 10 at worlds but doable. GER, 3RUS, 2CAN, 3CHI (if healthy), ITA, FRA.
    The pressure is on them.

11. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re-posting these relevant posts from the Scimeca/Knierim cheer thread in the Trash Can:

13. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

I'm confident that the USA will keep two pair spots for next year's Olympics and worlds. I hope C/S and S/K can skate their best and get some attention and recognition if both teams skate well..But my gosh next year's US nationals will be very unpredictable. With all the pairs that didn't skate this past January, trying to predict who wins or who medals in Boston next year will be very very difficult. And my crystal ball doesn't work this far in advance!

14. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I already like S/K more then D/C and i've only seen them a couple times so far but they have more to work with i think. All they need is time and they could become a force.

15. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

S/K still beat Z/B at Nationals. In fact, S/K had the highest score in the LP for the competition and when both S/K and Z/B are clean in the SP, S/K is usually close to 60 pts and that's quite a gap over Z/B. So, I think S/K is the best team for Worlds.

16. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I think it's a wise decision to look longer term, rather than risking his health and Caydee's safety. And I hope Alexa's foot/ankle/whatever is OK and that both S/K and C/S will have some really satisfying performances at worlds.

17. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Both Americans Smoked the Chinese at 4 CC's this year...I don't think well be seeing Sui/Han this year

18. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Check the long scores for S/K. Z/B still have them there in front of an International panel (4 points higher in the Seasons best score.) S/K received a 54. in the short at NHK.

Also C/S were 10 points higher than Z/B at Nationals and at 4 CC's were a mere .o8 higher with both teams making the same fall on the throw. Review the tape from US Nats...be honest...who should have won the long. (Z/B did have the highest tech score) If they would have had the required tech score for Worlds at that point, Z/B would have been second.

Yes all three teams are great, but I am skeptical of this injury that Alexa has recovered from in a matter of 1 week. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Did we ever get a confirmation of what Scimeca's injury was?

MAYBE SHE FAKED IT JUST LIKE PLUSHENKO?

20. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Usova put her up to it. LEIS, all LEIS.

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I'm pretty sure USFS will be monitoring Scimeca/Knierim's competition readiness for Worlds while Zhang/Bartholomay will continue to train as the first alternates just in case they are needed.

Pang/Tong weren't at 4CC - they may be old and dealing with injuries but I wouldn't count them out at Worlds.

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I bet she would look better in the hospital gown in the tweeted photos.

23. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

What was the injury exactly...does anyone know?

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

:D

25. figureit

figureit Member

26. figureit

figureit Member

"This"also would love to know was it a tweak ? Anyway wish them luck and glad Z/B are training and ready...

27. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Ugh. Frustrating for Z&B. They came so close to beating S&K at Nationals (They should have) and so close to beating C&S at 4CC (They should have).

28. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ I think Zhang/ Bartholomay have improved but at this point, both C/S and S/K are somewhat stronger teams, IMHO.

29. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Why frustrating? They are having the best year of their careers by far and the future looks bright! If you told them last year they'd be 1st alternates for Worlds I think they'd be pretty stoked. Good for them, I say! :cheer:

30. Swurvestar1

Swurvestar1 New Member

Has S/K's new long program that they debuted at nationals been judged on the international level?
    If not, how do we know that Z/B would score better than them?
    Just wondering . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.