US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Good Point, and a bonus for S/K. They'll know their future plans before anyone else.

2. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I think that S/K have much higher potential internationally than D/C. Maybe not this year, they need one more season to build, but as of right now they're my bet for the highest-placing US team in Sochi.

3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm excited to see S/K develop, hopefully with outside choreography.

4. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Yes, their basics are all there. Chris is an excellent partner, he seems so secure in the lifts and his feet look neat in the turns. I especially love how gently he sets her down and I remember that he was good at that skill with all his partners. Alexa is lovely and fits him so well. I'm getting excited about this team and pray they stay together (I'm still not over Marley/Brubaker, :( ).

5. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

I, too, was really impressed with S/K. I hope they can stick it out for a long time.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Full list:

2013 World Championships
    Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir
    Caydee Denney/John Coughlin (pending monitoring)

Alternate 1 - Alexa Scimeca/Chris Knierim
    Alternate 2 - Felicia Zhang/Nathan Bartholomay
    Alternate 3 - Lindsay Davis/Mark Ladwig

2013 Four Continents Championships
    Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir
    Alexa Scimeca/Chris Knierim
    Felicia Zhang/Nathan Bartholomay

Alternate 1 - Lindsay Davis/Mark Ladwig
    Alternate 2 - Gretchen Donlan/Andrew Speroff
    Alternate 3 - Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier

2013 World Junior Championships
    Jessica Noelle Calalang/Zack Sidhu
    Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier
    Britney Simpson/Matthew Blackmer

Alternate 1 - Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage
    Alternate 2 - Jessica Pfund/AJ Reiss
    Alternate 3 - None

7. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I love S/K. They are beautiful on the ice, and they have a "star quality." If only D/S could get their act together, too, because S/K and D/S are now officially my favorite US pairs teams!

8. figuresk8302

figuresk8302 New Member

Why would USFSA not assign a 3rd alternate to the World Juniors team? If they are building a pair program like they say they are wouldn't that help one of the developing teams?

9. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Well, Brenna Doherty already on IcePartnerSearch...and so the post-US Nationals begins???

10. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

I'm guessing it is because there are no other pairs with the required minimum score...

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

sammyf pointed out in the 2013 US Nationals forum in Kiss and Cry that Belt/Johnson (9th in Junior Pairs at Nationals) and Oltmanns/Santillan (11th) attained the minimums at the 2012 Youth Olympic Games and the JGP in fall 2011, respectively.

Belt/Johnson have yet to compete in a JGP -- they are still age-eligible this coming season, so hopefully they will continue to develop and progress in the months ahead. O/S (he) will age out of ISU Junior after this season.

12. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

Thanks! Perhaps then they simply assumed that the 3rd alternate would never come into play anyway, so no need to put pressure on these developing, but not ready for the big stage yet, teams.

13. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Best of luck to Rockne!!

14. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Hopefully they will still add the third alternate?

15. madm

madm Active Member

Rockne was a commentator on Skate Radio (broadcast in the rink) during the Pair FS event on Saturday.

16. madm

madm Active Member

USFS is monitoring John's progress. I talked with his coach at Natls., and John is healing very fast. He and Caydee have been doing lifts and twists off-ice, and they begin working out on the ice today. John's labrum tear was caught early and his surgery was done laproscopically, so he has just 3 holes and no major incisions. He had a fantastic surgeon and he has been working out 9-5 daily with therapists at the Olympic Training Center. I'd say he has the best conditions possible and has a good chance of being in great shape in a month.

17. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Thanks for the update. That's awesome news! :)

18. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for the best for John (& Caydee), but I wish he would take a note from Gracie Gold & Courtney Hicks, whom both were injured in the past, took a year off, and came back smoking! :smokin: Seriously, G.G. won the 2012 US National Jr. Title, and Courtney won the pewter medal her first year in Seniors.

On the contraire, too many skaters have been pushing their bodies too soon too fast after injury/surgery and as a result have seen their return sidelined by injury once again (e.g. Evan Lysacek, Evgeni Plushenko, Alissa Czisny). 'nuff said.

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Every injured athlete's situation is different as well as their timeline for injury recovery.

BTW, Gracie Gold didn't take a year off - she didn't qualify for 2011 Nationals because she finished 6th at Midwestern Sectionals that season.

20. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

True, Sylvia, that's a given.

As for John, I wish him the very best, they're still America's #! Pair Team and rightfully so. :cool:

Regards Worlds, we shall see...

21. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

First break up of the off season is Ladwig and Davis. They have broken up as of today. Probably be officially announced in a few days.

22. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Lindsay is 4'11". Might Rockne be interested?

23. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Ladwig is 32. He is probably retiring unless a deal to pair him up with a superstar is in the making. (Love those Caitlin, Rockne, ..guessing games).
    Let the US pairs musical chairs begin.

24. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Tantalizing. She's a good jumper and does have decent extension. How old is she? I mean, is she in danger of a growth spurt? That would destroy a working partnership with Rockne.

But backing up, any scuttlebutt as to why D/L split?

25. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Just wow. Right as they were getting it together. So of course. Jeez, U.S. pairs....

26. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if Ladwig takes another partner, but I was shocked he competed this year. It seems like time for retirement has come. He is a great skater, but has been on the national stage for a very long time. It isn't likely he'll make it to Sochi, and waiting for he next Olympics will be very long indeed.

27. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Actually, I think Brenna Doherty & Craig Norris, were first, since - posted above - she is on IcePartnerSearch already, though that is Junior - still, US Pairs Musical Chairs is underway!

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Aren't alternates required to keep training their current programs? If so, younger teams, especially, might rather focus on next season than be a third alternate with a miniscule chance of competing.

29. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

No danger there. Lindsay will be 21 in April. Agewise, she would be better suited to Rockne than his two previous partners.

30. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I was kind of under the impression that Ladwig continued in part to see how he could do with a partner who could jump better than Evora. But pair skating is a lot more than that. Even while pretty much doing the best they could at Nationals in a depleted field, D/L still didn't really come close to making it to Worlds, which was probably discouraging. They did much better at Nationals than they did on the GP circuit, so they can be proud of that.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.