US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

All good (+) examples, thanks for them! :cool:

Still, my *opinion* hasn't changed. :)

2. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Any sign yet that Rockne Brubaker is going to be able to get a new partner? I feel bad for him that he's missing this season. :(

3. NadineWhite

I have no clue, but have to admit am excited to see whom he will eventually pick! :cool: The pair girl out there must feel like Cinderella when Prince Charming placed the glass slipper on her foot. :D

Btw, just a nitpick, Nancy Kerrigan just had a humongous bruise to overcome, no broken bones nor surgery nor hip injury, etc. Still, a great recovery in a matter of weeks, but I personally wouldn't put it on the same plane as a torn achilles, dislocated hip, torn hip labrium, broken leg, you get the picture. Now Elena Berezhnyia's injury & comeback was something else, brain injury and all that it entailed, including learning to speak and walk again. I'd say that trumps everybody else. Jmho.

4. RUKen

RUKen Guest

OK, I accept your nitpick and present another--Tatiana Totmianina!

5. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Honestly not trying to start anything, but I tire of this narrative that Rockne is the perfect partner and that any girl would be lucky to skate w/ him. He's been through four partners and his last two high-profile partnerships have ended w/ his partner fleeing the sport altogether, rather mysteriously/stressfully in both situations. There is a real reluctance on FSU to even consider that perhaps Rockne isn't prince charming (most posters point out that he has had a remarkable string of "bad luck") when it comes to these relationships. Anyone who has been so lauded by fans and the USFSA over a number of years would naturally start to develop quite an ego which might, I imagine, hinder potentially successful partnerships, especially new partnerships.

nylynnr and (deleted member) like this.
  6. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

^^^^^
    This. I can't say why Rockne's partnerships seem to go wrong, but rather than this (see below)

If it were me, I'd feel as edgy as the last Bride of Bluebeard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluebeard

7. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Well, I think Rockne is neither a Prince Charming nor Bluebeard. ;)

8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

But truthfully what's the basis or proof for such an insinuation and besmirchment?

In any case, who said he's "the perfect partner." I've only seen and heard that he's a talented pairs skater who has unfortunately had to endure a couple of high profile break-ups, exact details unknown.

9. reese

reese Well-Known Member

What's the basis or proof that he's the perfect partner? I was just putting it out there as a possibility, since it seems to me that every pairs thread hold him up as God's gift to US pairs skating who has just gotten terribly unlucky w/ partners. That may be the case, but it also may be the case that he is not the easiest person to be in a professional relationship with.

Stephanie and (deleted member) like this.
  10. reese

reese Well-Known Member

"Had to endure." Maybe his behavior played a role in these partnerships ending? Is it really that offensive to even consider that?

11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ I'm only asking what basis or proof you have for speculating/ insinuating as such. Partnerships end for any variety of reasons, including personality conflicts, growing pains, etc. And once again, who said that Rockne is "the perfect partner"?

12. NadineWhite

13. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Is Rockne looking for a new partner, or has he decided to give up? I feel bad for him because he is one of the best male pairs skaters in the U.S. and was at the top in his country but he's had 2 partners in a row who were too nervous for competition and sadly decided to leave. :(

I hope Rockne can find one more partner and have a last shot at continuing his skating career. I think he has a couple more years left in him. :)

14. JJS5056

JJS5056 Member

Are there any official guidelines for awarding byes to Worlds? I'm torn between thinking it'd be in their best interest to set some official guidelines, while thinking it might make more sense to evaluate case-by-case.

Selfishly, I hope it's denied, as - assuming C/S become National Champions - I find nearly all of the potential silver medalists far more attractive than D/C. I am assuming any petition would likely be granted, however, given their GP results.

I really hope D/S get their act together and rock Nationals. Last year's Championships seemed like the perfect start of a successful partnership- great, charismatic program with plenty of room for improvement. While they surely have time to "click," I don't want to wait to see them on the World stage. :) They're the perfect antidote to the far less graceful teams we've turned out in recent years.

15. The Observer

The Observer New Member

So anyone know whether Rockne will be at US Nationals this week? :grope:

16. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

I've thought about the byes-to-Worlds/Olympics, trying to come up with a full list in the post-figures era and categorizing the byes into acute/medium-term/chronic injuries, as well as thinking about the relationship between the nature of the injury and the outcome of the bye: did it turn out to be a good decision to name the skater to the World or Olympic Team? In the 22 seasons since 1990-1991, there have been five byes granted to the World/Olympic team (to the best of my recollection: if I missed one, please correct me!).

Three things jumped out at me: All five skaters/teams granted byes were previous World Medalists; three were previous Olympic medalists. Of the five byes, four involved the Olympic team. Of the two byes granted for acute injury (both occurred at Nationals), both were "justified" by the results: an Olympic Silver medal and a World Silver medal. The one bye given for medium-term injury was also "justified": World Silver medal. The two byes given for chronic injuries did not turn out well: Kwan was too injured to train fully and withdrew from the Olympics; Eldredge was also too injured to train fully and barely made it through the Olympics; I read an interview a few years ago in which he said he had trouble walking/standing while he was there and probably shouldn't have competed.

Injury type: Skater (Year; Result of Bye; competitive record prior to bye: for Pairs/Dance, competitive record only with then-current partner)
    Acute injury: Nancy Kerrigan (1994: Olympics 2nd; 4-time Senior National medalist, reigning National Champion; 3-time World Team member, 2-time World Medalist; Olympic Bronze medal), Jenni Meno and Todd Sand (1998: Worlds 2nd, Olympics 8th; 5-time Senior National medalist; 5-time World Team member, 2-time World Medalist; 1-time Olympic Team member)
    Medium-term injury: Tanith Belbin/Ben Agosto (2009: Worlds 2nd; 8-time Senior National medalist; 7-time World Team member, 3-time World medalist, reigning World Bronze medal; Olympic Silver medal)
    Chronic injury: Michelle Kwan (2006: Olympics WD; 12-time Senior National medalist; 12-time World Team member, 9-time World medalist; 2-time Olympic medalist), Todd Eldredge (1992: Worlds 7th, Olympics 10th; 2-time National Champion; 2-time World team member, reigning World Bronze medalist)

Publicly turned down:
    Acute injury: Nicole Bobek (1996; 2-time Senior National medalist, reigning National Champion; 2-time World Team member, did not advance from qualifying round at first Worlds, reigning World Bronze medalist). Bobek had a long history of inconsistent training and coach-hopping. In late 1994, she injured her ankle but chose to continuing touring instead of taking time off to heal the ankle. IIRC, many people felt that International Committee was trying to send her a message by turning down her bye request.

There have been a few cases I can recall where a skater/team was nearly guaranteed a place on the Junior World team but had to withdraw from Nationals in situations where they would have been able to be prepared for Junior Worlds. There seems to be sort of an unofficial guideline that only skaters/teams who compete at Nationals may be named as World Junior team members, but occasionally a skater/team in this situation is named as an alternate to Junior Worlds. I can also think of a few cases in which a skater/team who had previously competed at Worlds was injured or ill and chose to compete because they thought the standard to receive a bye to Worlds/Olympics made it unlikely that they would be named to the team.

FWIW, I would not be surprised if Denney/Coughlin's application is considered in light whether the pairs' event at Nationals is :kickass: or :fragile:.

As always, any thoughts or speculation is solely my own; I just drive the zamboni. :)

17. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

Thanks, 5Ali3. I agree with your assertion about a possible bye for Denney and Coughlin may depend on how well our teams skate at Nationals. It's not as if D/C were lights out at worlds last year. If any of our other pairs medalists skate to the best of their ability they could probably equal the result that D/C had at Worlds 2012

18. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

(Speaking of Rockne Brubaker)

I agree. I was rewatching 2012 4CC recently. Since I knew that his partnership had broken up subsequent to the competition, and that his partner was not continuing in skating, I concentrated on watching him. (That's not something I generally do when watching a pairs team, since the focus is usually on the female partner.) He's very, very good, and also very watchable. I don't mean any insuations by that, simply that his skating is pure, he has good line (surprising given his build), his skating technique is very good, and everything is finished well.

For all I know his personality may not be as wonderful as his skating (I have no idea) but from my own selfish point of view I would love to see him skating again. He's a joy to watch when he is on.

19. reese

reese Well-Known Member

He's at Nationals. Sarah interviewed him. :scream:

20. NadineWhite

interesting bit of info., thanks for providing it reese. :)

now i'm wondering if he's there *scouting* for a future pair girl.... :confused: and if so, whom shall it be? who has he been watching during practice? during competition? and who is available? or will be so?

lots of ????

21. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I saw him at Senior Dance short as his brothere was competing.

22. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

I wonder if Rockne is able to get a partner after the nationals...

23. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I didn't realize D/C would be petitioning to Worlds.

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

25. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I caught this on Icenetwork, too: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130127&content_id=41200138&vkey=ice_news

Shouldn't the USFSA wait until they see how healed John is before assigning them to Worlds???

26. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I totally assumed that Worlds would be C/S and S/K. Didn't even think D/C would be in the mix.

27. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

S/K still need to keep training hard, I just have a feeling they will be going to Worlds. Love to see them get there.

28. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

29. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Especially considering that D&C and S&K train together. S&K will be well aware of the likelihood of D&C being ready.

30. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

I agree. It's especially interesting that they train at the same rink.

I hope John doesn't push too hard and injure himself for next year. At least S/K get 4C in any case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.