US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I like C/S a lot. I think they are a good, solid team who are still young and still developing. The height difference doesn't detract from them for me. I think they make it work to their advantage. Marissa seems to be a spitfire to Simon's brave and stalwart Knight. ;) They may be adding some difficult throws to their repertoire in competition at 4CCs and Worlds.
  2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

It would be great if their SBS jumps in the LP were the 3sal and 3toe. They can do both but it's probably a level of comfort issue. Also, perhaps we may see a throw 3x from them some day.
  3. Rochelle

Rochelle New Member

The International Assignments page is updated now for the Challenge Cup, as of at least this morning. http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216

U.S. is sending in pairs:
    Baga/Toth
    Kayne/O'Shea
    Lang/LeDuc

I wonder if Donlan/Speroff declined? Great to see that these three teams have a chance at an international ISU competition.

Is there a link to the current roster for The Challenge Cup?

Also, can someone please remind me on how the Senior Grand Prix assignments were given last year (haha, if we ever figured out for sure what the system *really* was, since that was pretty chaotic this past fall)? Aside from the GP host home-country picks, were the assigned-seeded picks based on ISU-World-Skater rankings? Or highest total ISU competition score from the previous season (or two seasons)? Or something else all together?

Do we expect Simpson/Blackmer, Denney/Frazier, Calalang/Sidhu, and Aaron/Settlage to remain on the Junior Grand Prix next fall or do they "age out"? Or are they likely to be in the mix for Senior Grand Prix assignments if they have the scores / world ranking to earn seeded spots?

Wondering if these either the World Junior teams of Simpson/Blackmer, Denney/Frazier, Calalang/Sidhu... or the 4 Cont team of Zhang/Bartholomay(sp?)... or The Challenge Cup teams of Baga/Toth, Kayne/O'shea, Lang/Leduc... have a shot at securing themselves a Grand Prix assignment if they score high enough in their respective competitions this Feb. All of these teams could score in the 140s (total)... possibly even 150s+... which could move them up on the Seasons Best Scores list where they would be in the mix of the teams who have received Senior Grand Prix assignments before.

So, someone please remind me how the Senior Grand Prix assignments worked (for those who were assigned, and not the GP host home country picks). (Of course, the selection criteria/process will probably change AGAIN this fall. ;).
  4. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

I believe the point of the spring assignments usually is to give opportunities for skaters who have not competed internationally before or, at least, this season. I'm happy to see all 3 new Senior pairs get the chance to go out.

There's a competition thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?86908-Challenge-Cup-2013
    This is a Senior B comp. so only ISU World Standings ranking points are given (to the top 5 finishers); their scores will not count for the ISU Seasons Best scores list.

Max Settlage is fortunate to have been born on July 1st so he and Aaron have 1 more season of ISU Junior age eligibility left (2013-14), along with Denney/Frazier (if D/F elect to return to the JGP). S/B and C/S age out. There's some discussion on this topic in this Trash Can thread: US GP Skaters for 2013-14
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  5. Rochelle

Rochelle New Member

Great - thank you for the links on where each of these areas are being discussed already. Much appreciated! Limited free time to scope out many of the threads right now...
  6. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

figureit, when did Denney and Coughlin break up (their dating relationship)?
  7. figureit

figureit New Member

This is a great question because I don't know first hand for any of the teams? everything I know I read on blogs so maybe it is like that commercial that says "I believe it because it is on the internet"lol

From blogs I got they were dating and then not dating but I am not sure I ever read an article that stated they were dating in the first place...there is a forum here about pairs of age dating and not..and other blogs that talk about it. IN fact unless there is an article supported by authentic sources who knows if it is true for any of the teams?? and whether it matters at all? I just thought it was an interesting topic and that it really shouldn't matter I guess that was my point. Does it really matter if someone is dating or not dating?

I am just excited about the depth of pairs in the US as normally it is the discipline I pay the least attention to and I was really surprised after watching Nationals on IN and You Tube...
    I think though out of all the teams D/C have great chemistry but so do C/S, S/K, Z/B and many of the others too...I thought D/L had the least amount of chemistry and they have already broken up. SO I guess you never know...sorry if I assumed about someone due to a blog....just because it is on the internet written by someone doesn't mean it is true...happy to have FSU and all the links and information they pass on...:swoon:
  8. Sylvia

Local Tampa Bay (Florida) article: http://www.tampabay.com/news/humani...-figure-skaters-win-gold-at-nationals/1273907
    Former U.S. pair skaters that were listed as coaches of the Intermediate and/or Juvenile pair teams at Nationals included Peter Oppegard, Rocky Marval, Tracy Prussack, Jonathon Hunt, Naomi Nari Nam, Themi Leftheris, Stephanie Stiegler, Devin Matthews, Kaela Pflumm, Fred Palascak, Sheryl Franks, and Chad Brennan.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  9. figureit

figureit New Member

and to add...not that I am trying to be a rumor mill junkie but watch the interview with skating lesson of Caitlin Y I did read she and Josh have been dating very seriously for awhile and maybe that is getting them through the rough spell of injuries because when you are invested in your partner...their likes , dislikes, their spirit etc...you care and love them in that way hey maybe it helps get you through the storm? After watching the interview after of Tai B she seemed to be touching on the same thing the investment you have in your partner can get you through those times...

I will research this as it is so interesting to me to find out that whether you date or not whether you are together..well if you are invested in the partner and you more than get along you are "happy" and connect on a different level does that help longevity?

Or is it like what Tai said : that having the same goals are key...??Also the level of difficulty is completely different than the 80's?? not even the same sport and does that effect things? The body, emotions? etc?

Not sure but as we enter into an Olympic year and we are all waiting on pins and needles to see if teams stay together?? It would be interesting to do some research on what makes that happen...
    I believe that not for years has there been this kind of depth in US Pair skating and wouldn't it be great if there was some answers and these teams stayed together reaching a type of success not seen for decades? Just a thought.
  10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

You mean D/L as in Davis/Ladwig? I don't think it's been confirmed that they broke up..
  11. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

D/C are still dating AFAIK?
  12. aftershocks

13. Sylvia

14. Sylvia

Press release on Scimeca/Knierim's WD due to her injury: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48972&type=media
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  15. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

The bad luck of US pairs continues. Hopefully Alexa's injury isn't too severe.
  16. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Lots of :wuzrobbed for Scimeca/Knierim and Davis/Ladwig. I hope D/L can both find great situations, whatever the next step brings.
  17. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

:( Bummer for both teams.

How tall is Davis? She's a good jumper. Wonder if she and Rockne will try out. ;)
  18. Sylvia

19. aftershocks

I wonder does this mean that Donlan/ Speroff will take their place as 2nd alternates at 4CCs (since 1st alternates, Davis/ Ladwig, have split), or will it be Denney/ Frazier, or is it too late for any of the alternates to get there?
  20. Sylvia

^^^ No, it's too late. Scimeca/Knierim were removed from the SP starting order today (the pairs event starts in a few hours in Japan) - no replacements are allowed after the starting order has been drawn.
  21. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Sorry for her injury, but no replacement, too late?
  22. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I just read about this over at IN a little while ago, and extend my condolences here as well to Alexa. Here's hoping she recovers 100% so that she & her partner will rock next season! :cool:

Ah, so D/S were the alternates, was wondering which American pair was. Imho they need rest and lots of practice together because this season was absolutey horrible. :( On the (+) side they have plenty of time off to get their act together and come back fighting next season! :)^)

I also read the Rockne Brubaker article on IN, and wish him the best in his partner search. He came across a bit sad when recounting his partner history, wanting pair longevity, but thus far it has passed him by. :( Also interesting to note was Tai Babiloniai's opinion that Lindsay Davis most likely was going to pair up with Rockne....hmmm........ Btw, I loved her and Ladwig's Nationals Exhibition performance!

Finally, here's wishing John Coughlin & Caydee Denny all the best at Worlds!!!!! :)^)
  23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think Scimeca/Knierim have the goods to emerge as the top US teams in the next one or two seasons if everything goes well for them and there are no injuries.
  24. olympic

Does anyone know the extent of Alexa's injury. ie - Are they out of the running for 1st alternate / substitute for D/C at Worlds (should D/C not be ready) ??

Thanks for your Eastern Euro-opinion on our pairs field ... :)
  25. Sylvia

It's too early to know - the USFS press release stated that Scimeca "will undergo a full evaluation upon her return to Colorado Springs, Colo., where the team trains."

On a positive note, John Coughlin is practicing triple toes, according to his tweet yesterday. Also, Zhang/Bartholomay, the 2nd alternate for Worlds, attained the SP minimum TES needed for Worlds in their 4CC SP (they already had the FS min. from the Salt Lake Sr. B last September), so good for them!
  26. olympic

Yeah. I saw you posted her tweet in the S/K cheer thread that she wants to go back to training ASAP. Hopefully, it's not too serious. I'm starting to uber them, so this is a lesson to me to cool it.

It's also great to hear that John is back to the 3T, and encouraging that Z/B have the minimum score for Worlds. Best of luck to all of them.
  27. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

To the poster that said D/C broke up their dating relationship, I can confirm that isn't true...
  28. Sunshine2

Sunshine2 New Member

Junior pairs Caitlin Fields and Jason Pacin spilt up she is on IPS they came is 7th this year at nationals and 2nd in novice last year they were really good together
  29. Sylvia

From Golden Skate's Pairs FS recap article: http://www.goldenskate.com/2013/02/duhamel-and-radford-seize-gold-at-2013-four-continents/
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  30. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

31. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

If you clearly name the source and show that you are quoting, it's not plagiarism. I think you are thinking of copyright law.

ETA not that there is any violation of copyright here either. All there is is someone doing us a favor and then getting hassled for it.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  32. Subway

Subway New Member

It's only going to be plagarism if you pretend you wrote it.
  33. olympic

Bump

Any word on what's going on with D/C? Meaning, will there be a test skate or something to determine if they are healthy enough and ready to represent the US at Worlds? Worlds is like in 3 weeks ...

Also, was it ever determined if S/K are OK to skate should D/C not make it? Alexa had an injury she didn't want to push through at 4CC's, but it didn't sound too serious ...
  34. Sylvia

The deadline for official entries for Worlds is tonight (February 17, 2013 – 20:00 hrs, local time London, ON) so I would expect an official announcement to be made soon.

ETA:
    @TarahKayne recently tweeted this photo of herself wearing her first Team USA jacket ahead of her international debut with Danny O'Shea in The Hague, Netherlands next week:
    "wouldn't want to get cold at #challengecup2013 now ill be warm & proud! @USFigureSkating @doshea213 :)" http://pic.twitter.com/BRzleUHp
    The other 2 U.S. Senior pairs competing are Kiri Baga/Taylor Toth and DeeDee Leng/Timothy LeDuc. Toth is the only of the 6 to have competed previously as a senior internationally.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  35. Tammi

Tammi Well-Known Member

I love how excited the skaters get when they earn their first Team USA jacket.
    Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  36. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

USFS will likely name Denney/Coughlin and Castelli / Shnapir, with Sciemeca / Knierim and Zhang / Bartholomay as substitutes. That should cover any contingencies.
  37. olympic

That's true. It gives both D/C and S/K leeway.

Another question - After they are officially entered, what is the deadline as to when a substitute team can actually step on the ice as a replacement?
  38. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 New Member

Up until the draw for short program start order. After that, no changes allowed.
  39. olympic

Wow. That's on the eve of the actual competition.

Since Worlds is in Canada, and due to the status of D/C, it would probably be wise to have S/K or Z/B (if Alexa's injury is something more serious) physically in London, Ontario in case team D/C discovers something is wrong during practices. This would be similar to a Michelle Kwan - Emily Hughes situation from Torino in '06.
  40. Sylvia

Denney/Coughlin will not be going to Worlds - press release should be forthcoming.

ETA - make that an article: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130214&content_id=41632804&vkey=ice_news
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.