US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

It will be nice to watch them develop, but I seriously doubt they will be on the podium in January, let alone win. They're too green and have had virtually no competitions to sharpen their programs

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Some program music changes...

Tiffany Vise tweeted today: "Had the pleasure of working with Tim Murphy on our new short working on details of the program. He choreographs for Dorothy Hamill." Vise/Baldwin have replaced "Open Arms" with "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" by Santa Esmeralda -- the SP music from their first season together in 2009-10, according to their updated Team USA bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=39680&mode=P
    I'm told this new program was choreographed jointly by the skaters themselves and their coach, Doug Ladret, with Murphy doing some fine tuning on positions.

Also, Alexa Scimeca/Chris Knierim's bio has been updated and now lists the "Life is Beautiful" soundtrack as their new FS music: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=40441&mode=P

3. olympic

I think the SP switch might help V/B. It will give them a lot more zip.

OTOH, IDK what to think about the switch for S/K, because their issue right now is coming together as a couple on the ice and developing their PCS. The music for 'Life is Beautiful' is going to require a lot of emoting. It's quite melancholy music and I hope they can handle it.

4. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

To totally change the Pairs topic, any news of what Rockne has been doing? Any tryouts? Completely waiting to see who is "available" after Nationals?

5. I was there!

I was there! New Member

I will bet my life savings they will NOT win Nationals. I would be suprised if they even finish the competition.

6. just wondering

just wondering Member

I just made a similar comment to someone today. Sad, but true, I'm afraid.

7. Sylvia

Today's "Inside Edge" blog starts off with a chat with Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir on their new status heading into Nationals: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121218&content_id=40726248&vkey=ice_news
    An excerpt:

8. olympic

Thanks. They say no throw 3x at Nats, but will they bring it later for Worlds or 4CC's? Marissa stated that 'it's not a risky element for us', so I wonder if it will show up at some point.

9. Sylvia

Marissa Castelli's exact quote is:

10. olympic

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing the throw 3x come to fruition. The U.S. doesn't have a lot to lose in pairs this year, so I think they should go for it!

11. The Observer

The Observer New Member

It really sucks for Rockne that Mary Beth decided not to continue - they were doing so well together and Rockne had finally gotten back into the game after losing Keanna. Rockne is one of the best male pair skaters the US has, but because of bad luck in having 2 partners depart the sport prematurely, he's running out of time. : (

12. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Maybe McLaughlin can come back and skate with Rockne for 2014 :)

13. Sylvia

Q & A with Kiri Baga and Taylor Toth: Breaking into the Senior Pairs Ranks
    Baga/Toth spent four days training in Boston this week after skating in the "Holiday Dreams on Ice" show on Long Island this past Sunday.

Vise/Baldwin's new site is: http://baldwinandvise.webs.com/
    Their webmaster has publicized them via CNN iReports: http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-895988

"Five Favorite Things" with Castelli & Shnapir: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121219&content_id=40752344&vkey=ice_news

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  14. Sylvia

15. Sylvia

16. Sylvia

I forgot to mention earlier that Brubaker was mentioned in this recent Chicago area article about a figure skating seminar held at the Oakton Ice Arena on Dec. 27: http://parkridge.suntimes.com/news/...eak-the-ice-with-champions-in-park-ridge.html

He's pictured in 3 photos in the gallery (includes photos of Christy Krall and Todd Eldredge): http://parkridge.suntimes.com/photos/galleries/index.html?story=17234990

17. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the latest updates, Sylvia, much appreciated. :)

Sad to hear about Caitlin & Josh, but it's best it happened now and not next season. :eek: This will give them plenty of time to properly heal, gell, and work on their programs for next season. :cool:

Loved Alexa & Chris's new website! :hat1: Yep it's not sleek & glamorous & professional, but what it offers is more down to earth, down home fare, tons of personal pictures, vids, etc., as if they put it together themselves. Kudos to them both! :)^)

And I enjoyed the latest update about Rockne (been wondering what he's been up to, lol). :D Can't wait to see whom he will pair with after Nationals!?! My hunch is it will be another pubescent little girl straight from juniors, just like Mary Beth Marley. :( Anyhow, I honestly wish him much luck in his search! :kickass:

:respec:GOOOOOOOOOOOO C/S, WIN YOUR FIRST NATIONAL TITLE AND KICK BOOTY AT WORLDS!!!!:respec:

18. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Has Rockne said whether he is going to make one more attempt to find another partner ?

19. Sylvia

Brubaker was quoted in a Hersh article on Sept. 1, 2012 that he was sitting out the 2012-13 season. I believe he is still looking for a suitable partner, yes.

USFS tweeted a few quotes from Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir's pre-Nationals media teleconference call this morning that are consistent with what they've said previously in their articles posted above.

20. Boston2016

Boston2016 Active Member

21. Jem X

Jem X Awaiting Skate America

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
    AJ Skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Jem X

Jem X Awaiting Skate America

I have just been informed that the boy in midjump identified as Paul is really my nephew Cullen. His mom was happy to see those pictures. Thanks, Sylvia!

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Sylvia

You're welcome, Jem X!

Positive-sounding tweet by @Sarahand Drew last night:
    "SCOB send off, @CastelliShnapir clean short, @DonlanSperoff almost clean long, landed all sbs jumps and 2nd throw."

Ditto from @fsonline last night:
    "@lexxapaige and @ChrisKnierim did a solid [long] program at Fire and Ice tonight!"
    (their new FS to "Life is Beautiful")

Jem X and (deleted member) like this.
  24. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

All right, thanks for (+) tweets, Sylvia! :cool:

How exciting Pairs is going to be, it's really anybody's game, each has an equal shot, they just have to bring their A game. Easier said than done I know.

Which makes me think of Timothy Goebel's excellent advice as to why he was so consistent ~ he just did his job the same way he did every day in practice, just another venue, no big deal, whereas others might have the mindset they were going to do the best ever at Nationals, skate a perfect program, mayhap even put in jumps they've never landed before. Instead of just seeing it as another day of practice at their home rink. Bigger audience is all. :p :D *huge understatement*

YET, if one is going to dream B-I-G, then that means taking risks. Like the old saying goes "great risk often leads to great rewards", "if you want to achieve a high goal you're going to have to take some chances", "if the creator had a purpose in equipping us with a neck, He surely meant for us to stick it out", "to win without risk is to triumph without glory".

25. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Well I go this part right :p

... Also to everyone, just thought I'd let you know that Rockne is closer to 5'7 than he is to 5'9... Very short guy, no way he could team up with Caitlin

26. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Rockne rocks the beard!

27. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

28. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Boys & men lie about their height. So, sometimes, do their fathers.
    ....just saying...
    Of course he might be 5'9" with lifts in his skates or shoes.

29. Sylvia

Excerpt from the SC of Boston send-off show article posted in its own GSD thread here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?86523-SC-of-Boston-s-Send-off-show-article-amp-photos

30. olympic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.