US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

To be fair, unless you follow skating closely, you probably have not heard of ANY US pairs, for a considerable amount of time back (when was the last US Pair to really reach mainstream status?)

Most people who don't follow skating can't name any current single skaters (maybe Johnny now that he is back?) Pair recognition is even less likely.

2. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

Touche, but even if you followed figure skating to a degree and knew the more famous competitors to know about D/B you would have been following lesser known competitions like Indy, Easterns, and (I believe) Oberstdorf that year and that is pretty obscure. I consider myself to be a follower of figure skating, but wasn't expecting success to that degree from them so soon. My point was is that it made Nationals quite exciting that year and they were fantastic! I really enjoyed that team and their power and consistency. I can't ever say I enjoy Caydee's positions or much of her skating skills, but I do respect her and John for being reliable and consistent. There is a lot to be said for that and it is very clear they work hard and get the job done.

3. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Caitlin is only 2 years older than Davis and she's a year younger than Reagan. She'll only be 24 in 2014 so I don't see why she wouldn't continue, esp. considering pairs tends to have some of the older competitors.

4. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

She could feasibly go another 8 years.

5. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

She could. I just don't get the feeling she will. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility, but if she does not make it after two tries at the Olympics, will she be back for more? Making a commitment until you're nearly thirty in pairs is certainly not unheard of, but unless they have positive results the next two years I don't think Caitlin will continue. It's speculation on my part. She could continue, but I haven't been overly impressed with the partnership of Y/R at all. I also am not convinced Lindsay is right for pair skating, either and at the very least Mark is not the right partner for her after skating with Amanda for so long.
    It may sound mean and horrible and maybe they need time to 'gel', but I don't see either one of these teams as being terribly successful. Realistically, they haven't been impressive like some first year teams (S/K, Denney/Coughlin, Denney/Barrett, Marley/Brubaker, etc.).
    I may seem unsupportive of skaters and what not, but the up and comers (the lower ranked seniors and some of the juniors) seem to be where we should focus US pairs. I may not be popular or PC, but US pairs has been in disarray for years and if we want US teams to be contenders the USFS needs to focus on keeping their younger teams together and getting teams like S/K, Denney/Frazier, Zhang/Bartholomay out there

6. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

"Word of Mouth" is that Denney/Frazier have left coach Delilah and are with John Zimmerman in Florida now. The Denney "Merry go round" seems to never end...

7. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I thought they moved to Jim and Lyndon.

8. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Didn't they move from them at some point?

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

10. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Is the Denney family made of money? Baffling to me.

11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Made of money, I have no idea. I did once happen to meet the Denney girls' grandparents at a Nationals event (not sure if they were the mother's or father's parents), and they seemed like regular, down-to-earth people -- part of the 47/%, but who knows or really cares anyway.

The Denneys are from Florida originally, so maybe Haven (along with her partner) felt more comfortable moving back there to train so as not to experience sibling rivalry under the same coach.

Interesting factoid: Haven's and Caydee's parents were both competitive artistic roller skaters, and I suppose that's how they first met.

12. grandma

grandma Active Member

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Duarte/Grafton's split (and her retirement) was announced on Oct. 17 - link to the post with article link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-amp-updates&p=3713838&viewfull=1#post3713838

It looks like only 5 Senior pairs will compete at Sectionals: Zhang/Bartholomay and Kayne/O'Shea at Easterns and Scimeca/Knierim, Baga/Toth and Leng/LeDuc (awaiting confirmation of the latter two) at Mids.

ETA: This week Denney/Coughlin and Vise/Baldwin will compete at Rostelecom Cup in Moscow, while Castelli/Shnapir and Donlan/Speroff will compete at Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  14. grandma

grandma Active Member

;)sorry didn`t see that

15. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

So, this means that all of Z/B, K/O, B/T, S/K and L/L are guaranteed spots at Nationals?

16. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Yes, Olympic. Provided that they actually show up and compete at Sectionals. They just have to skate around for the time that is required for the SP and FS to qualify.

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

By my count, 12 Senior teams are scheduled to compete at 2013 Nationals.

6 teams from last season: Denney/Coughlin, Donlan/Speroff, Castelli/Shnapir, Zhang/Bartholomay, Vise/Baldwin, H. Denney/Frazier (J1).

New teams (6): Davis/Ladwig, Scimeca/Knierim, Yankowskas/Reagan, Baga/Toth, Kayne/O'Shea, Leng/LeDuc.

18. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Didn't Cassie Andrews/Nicholas Anderson reteam this summer?

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

That's what was posted on FSU but they haven't competed yet AFAIK and so I don't know if they are, in fact, skating together and taking a bye through Mids (due to 4 or fewer teams registered) to Nationals. Anderson is scheduled to compete in the Novice Men's event at Mids.

20. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

nm

21. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Hot tamales!

22. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Andrews and Anderson did train together this summer -- but split in August, prior to the Regionals/Sectionals qualifying deadline. (The entered Indy Challenge but withdrew, due to injury). Andrews is focusing on college this semester, and Anderson will compete Novice Men at Mids.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thanks for the update, Rochelle!

ETA: Castelli/Shnapir and Donlan/Speroff compete on Thursday and Saturday in Austria - link to the live stream is posted in the event thread in Kiss and Cry as well as in the TV Alerts forum.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  24. shan

shan Well-Known Member

A live stream? Yay!!! Thanks for the info.

25. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sylvia, for the info. :)

I love both teams and truly hope both do well, especially Donlan & Speroff, whom need it the most, jmho.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Donlan/Speroff skate #2 and Castelli/Shnapir #5 of 5 teams at Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria today (approx. 11:30 am Eastern start time) - link to the live stream is posted in the event thread in Kiss and Cry as well as in the TV Alerts forum.

Re-posting from the Grand Prix Alternates thread...
    Unfortunately, Caitlin Yankowskas/Joshua Reagan's names were crossed out from NHK Trophy on the ISU site yesterday (Nov. 7). I assume this means he has not recovered enough from the rib injury that he sustained in practice before Cup of China? (source was USFS' Oct. 25 press release)

27. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

And also means no Nationals since they will lose the bye :(

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I believe there are only 3 Senior pairs registered for Mids so Y/R technically may still be able to qualify for Nationals...

29. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I saw D/S skate the SP this a.m. in Graz and it was rough. I think they got 41+, but I don't know if they got the 20+ TES for the 4CC sp min score.

30. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I just finished watching the Livestream myself. They really looked dejected in the K & C :(

However, C/S really rocked!! They were clean and scored 60.44 in the SP - Huge 3Tw, Huge Throw 3 (forgot which one), and I think they landed clean SBS 3sals. Now, I couldn't tell from the camera angle but judging from the scores, I think they were both triples ... :respec:

I think they at this point are the most legitimate contenders for the #2 US pairs spot. They skate like they really want it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.