US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't think they're trying to look more balletic: I think they're trying to look more refined, which never hurt anyone -- Arakawa, for example, was an ideal combination of power and grace, IMO, and athleticism can look quite graceful -- and more couple-like.

Or, the classic, when the woman unwedgifies.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

ITA with those who feel Denney/ Coughlin are making great improvements. And yes, nothing wrong with working on "refinement." However, I also agree with those who believe D/C need to find music and choreo that suits them better. I enjoyed D/C's new fp more than their sp. From their costumes and choreo, it seems to me that D/C feel D/S may become their strongest competitors among U.S. pairs. However, altho' D/C look good and show improvement in line and refinement, I agree with the poster who said D/C are trying too hard to fit into the "balletic" mold. I don't think that style suits them. D/C's programs this season are good and will surely get better as the season progresses, but I just don't feel fully engaged watching them. While D/C have a great connection and are strong technically and athletically, I don't feel a spark of excitement from D/C (I think they displayed a bit more excitement in their last season's fp, when Denney wore her hair down and they had a more energetic approach). I think that in order for D/C to truly come into their own, they need to explore more of what makes them and their partnership unique, and bring that out more on the ice. I agree with olympic's comments in this regard.

I add my thanks to 5Ali3 for your excellent tutorial on overhead lift positions, and your explanation of "why" Denney experiences difficulty in her turn-out. Wouldn't it be possible for her to work on loosening and lengthening her thigh muscles a bit to help with achieving a slightly better turnout? While she may not gain ideal turnout, perhaps knowing the "why" of her problem might be of benefit in helping her focus more on stretching and loosening the muscles in her pelvic region. Wow, re your examination of how some of Denney's problems on lifts are likely related to bad habits that began with previous partnerships.

Great seeing the pic of Keauna and Rockne -- but also a :( reminder re Rockne being such a wonderful pairs partner who has to sit out this season. Hope he is able to find an ideal match and come back strong.

I'm in love with Donlan/ Speroff. They have magic, spark and the "it" factor together on the ice. Of course, they still have much to work on, and obviously as has been said many times, they need to become stronger with their jumps. I found their sp interesting, but strangely they did not seem to have enough stretch in their spin with forward catch leg position (that Rudy Galindo does so well). D/S fp from last season still sings. They should gain much needed international experience this season.

3. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^FWIW, I'm not an athlete, but I'm a fitness freak who has developed ankle joint problems. A Dr. recommended Glucosamine and I've been taking it for about 6 yrs. A secondary benefit is that I've become quite flexible, much more so than ever before.

I wonder if athletes like Caydee might develop more turn-out from something like that ...

4. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Oftentimes, lack of turn out is due to the structure of the hip joint and not the flexibility of the muscles and ligaments surrounding the joint. This is impossible to fix without mechanically reshaping the bones. It's pretty likely that this is the issue with Caydee since she's probably been working on flexibility since she was a child.

5. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Then they need to ditch positions that highlight her lack of turnout. At this point that one position (sorry, I don't know names of lifts) makes her look nearly knock-kneed :(

6. olympic

Are there any high level lifts for them that will highlight her strengths rather than show her weakness in 'turn-out'?

7. Sayana_mnk

Sayana_mnk Member

This Icenetwork article announces the end of Kylie Duarte and Colin Grafton's partnership. Duarte has retired and Grafton will search for a new partner. It is a shame that they will now not ever compete as a senior pair at nationals, but they certainly deserve respect for maintaining their partnership for over ten years.

8. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:( Best of luck to both of them in the future.

9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:( This is sad to hear. They have improved so much over the years.

10. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

Good luck to Kylie in high school and I hope she gets into the college of her choice. I hope Colin finds a partner!

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Thanks to 'marnianne' for filming & uploading Kylie Duarte/Colin Grafton's final public performances together at Harvard's "Evening with Champions" show:

Sept. 29: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ixOZo-Nub0

Sept. 30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqT5VM9Dk5M

ETA article excerpt (link posted above):

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  12. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Best wishes to them both. Hopeful Colin will find a partner soon and can get an early start on preparations for next season. He's in Colorado Springs I would assume, so am sure the opportunities to find a suitable match are quite good.

13. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Duarte and Grafton choosing to end their partnership prior to participating as a senior pair in the US qualifying structure means that he'll have the option of skating junior at nationals again, if he and a new partner feel that it is appropriate/beneficial for them to skate a year in junior.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  14. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Collin in 21 though so doesn't that mean he's aged out of junior?

15. Sylvia

Colin Grafton turned 21 last month but there are no age limits for entering/competing in Novice-Senior Pairs at U.S. Nationals.

16. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Aw. I really liked them.

With their split, which team has been together the longest? Goldberg/Dolk? Castelli/Shnapir?

17. madm

madm Active Member

In order to skate Junior level at Nationals, only one of the partners may have passed the Senior pair test. The rules say that if both have passed the Senior pair test, then they must skate Senior level. Also, if one of the partners has ever competed at the Senior level at a qualifying competition (which Colin has not), then the pair would have to compete at the Senior level. This is why Rockne will have to compete with his new partner at the Senior level, and the new partner will have to pass the Senior pair test (just like Mary Beth did).

18. Sylvia

19. Madre

Madre New Member

This isn't exactly U.S. Pairs news, but I wanted to report that the team of Kloe Bautista/Tyler Harris have been forced to retire. Unfortunately, Kloe re-injured her shoulder a couple of Fridays ago, and now requires surgery. They will be unable to compete at Philippine Nationals. She has made the decision to retire due to the timing of this, which means Tyler will also retire. Not exactly how they wanted to end their careers, but they remain the best of friends; like brother and sister. It will take some adjusting for them but they will be ok.

20. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:( So sorry to hear this.

21. Sylvia

Thanks for the update, Madre -- I'm sorry to hear that Kloe and Tyler have to end their competitive careers this way and I wish them all the best in the future!

Caitlin Yankowskas/Joshua Reagan's GP debut will be delayed until NHK Trophy as they officially have withdrawn from next week's Cup of China due to his rib injury -- link to today's press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48585&type=media

Alexa Scimeca/Chris Knierim will make their international debut together at Cup of Nice -- tomorrow is the SP.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  22. Madre

Madre New Member

Thanks, Shan and Sylvia! Tyler has decided he's not ready to retire as a competitive athlete, so he plans to compete in triathlons. He started training for that this past week : )

23. olympic

That is too bad for Y/R. :( Hasn't he had this injury for a while now? I seem to remember talk about a rib injury since this Summer.

Excited to see S/K and hope they set themselves on a path for greatness!

24. Sylvia

I'm pretty sure Joshua Reagan's rib injury is a new one.

Scimeca/Knierim just scored 59.01 in their SP in Nice! Very high triple twist, big throw triple flip, sbs 3S (looked rotated). I will start a Cup of Nice thread in the TV Alerts forum with the archived videos link.

25. olympic

Yes!!! So excited for S/K!! This SP score puts them #2 in the US behind D/C for now, doesn't it? I hope they have a legitimate shot at the podium, perhaps on the team, at Nationals. Do they have any other International Competitions this year?? Or a shot at any?

26. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Damn considering Sochi is only about 15 months away there sure are a lot of injuries and pullouts this year. Better this year then next though.

27. toddlj

toddlj The sort of fan who gets up at 3am to watch

I think a win at a serior B puts them on the sublist for the GP. (Right?)

ETA: I checked the rules, and yes if they win they get added to the sublist.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  28. olympic

Not sure how that works, but with a no. of pairs dropping out of the GP, it would be great if they got a slot.

29. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Saw S/K's SP from Cup of Nice. Wow. Beautiful. And really great score. I feel superstitious getting excited over a US pair again but they just grabbed me. High, beautiful triple twist, great throw and sbs jumps (yay!) and really beautiful line and unison. So hoping they stay strong and stay together!

30. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Right now US #2 looks to be between S/K and C/S .. Excited for a good showdown at nationals :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.