US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Phil Hersh just tweeted that Rockne and Amanda are not pairing up. Rockne will sit out the season

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If the GP selection rules don't change, he and new partner will still be in the running for an initial GP selection (in addition to a possible host assignment) under the split couple rule and a second as a replacement couple, based on his Worlds placement with Marley. If they go back to two years ago's rules, he can get one as a TBA for Skate America and one by being at the top of the split couples list.

If he finds someone this season, they can concentrate on the basics and becoming a team. It didn't hurt Belbin/Agosto when they did this.

3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I just wasn't sure if you were referring to one team or another. I do think the field is wide open since each top team has it's main area of weakness. If D/S could get their jumps, if C/S could put it all together in comp or if D/C could majorly improve in PCS...

4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Any news on whether Dee Dee Leng passed her Sr. Pairs test?

5. Ageless

Ageless Member

Yes, she did on 8/11

6. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I see the 'pecking order' in US pairs as follows -

D/C - Love or hate them, they are the undisputed frontrunners for title of best US pair. Per the Icenetwork article Sylvia posted above, John stated they are aware of their PCS shortcomings and they are taking modern dance lessons, so we might see something fresh and new from them this season.

C/S - They've been doing fairly well and I'd slot them in 2d right now. It sounded like they did really well at both Indy and Cranberry Open in the LP (110 pts. or so at Cranberry). The Icenetwork article makes it sound like they are attacking the season from a different angle.

D/S - I luv them. They have the most talent. But, they really need to hit the SBS jumps. It will be interesting to see how they do against C/S this season. They could be ranked ahead of them or behind them (depends on whether C/S get some momentum). Also, between D/S and C/S, it may come down to which pair is most consistent on the SBS jumps since they both ironically have issues with those elements!

D/L - For a new pair, they are making big strides in a short amount of time. They got the 3twist quickly and Mark has found a partner that can land SBS jumps. Lindsay isn't a slouch on the other elements, either. I can see them on the podium at Nats.

Z/B and S/K - Z/B might have an outside shot at the podium or even the team (depends on how good or bad C/S or D/S can be), but I have a feeling they might get held back for any of the above pairs (maybe they are considered even with D/L). They seem really hungry and hit the big elements. I hope S/K get a shot at an international competition. They deserve it. She has diva potential and he shows her off properly. The fact that they could keep up w/ MT/M in the SP, nailing some big elements at Detroit in July after only a couple of months together speaks volumes about their potential, but the USFSA really needs to take notice of that first!

V/B - They seemed to improve in the SP at Golden West after the crap showing at Indy. IDK. The USFSA might consider them out-to-pasture already.

Y/R - I would love to love them, but they've admitted that they're not expecting much this year and it sounds like in interviews that they need more time together. Maybe we will all be pleasantly surprised and they will outperform expectations. Per the same Icenetwork article, it sounds like the throw jumps are good to go.

B/T - seem to be squeaking through the elements in their summer competition despite being so new as a pair, and that was surprising to me. They also seem to have a good sense of style. But need more time together.

L/L - See above.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  7. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Who are L/L?

8. olympic

Leng / LeDuc

9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I was racking my brain but couldn't come up with that. :lol:

10. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Any thoughts on where Kayne/O'Shea, Durate/Grafton, and Denney/Frazier fit in? From what I've heard, all three are expected to enter Senior level for this US Figure Skating qualifying season. :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  11. olympic

I forgot about them :eek:, but I honestly see them all at the back end this season. Perhaps below Y/R.

I consider D/F to be the most promising of the 3 and based on past results, D/F might end up around Z/B - just off the podium and above Y/R.

What division are Pfund / Reiss competing in at Nats? Jr. or Sr. ?

12. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

13. Pulaski73

Pulaski73 New Member

Aren't Brittany Simpson and Mathew Blackmer skating senior domestically and junior internationally like Denney/Frasier?

Also which member of Liu/Perini aren't age eligible?

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Unless Simpson/Blackmer's plans have changed recently, they are skating junior both internationally and nationally this season.

Devin was 19 in April; Chelsea doesn't turn 13 until December.

Thanks for posting the Pairs Scoretracker link, Rochelle :) - I just updated it today with scores from Golden West and Onyx Challenge.

15. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Does anybody know the sectional breakdown for the novice-senior pairs??

16. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Current International Scores of US Pairs 2012-2013
    Simpson/Blackmer 133
    Aaron/Settlage 130
    Denney/Frazier 127
    Pfund/Reiss 124
    Calalang/Sidhu 123
    De la mora/Wilson 113
    Oltmanns/Santillan 102
    -------
    Will update tomorrow with scores of Vise/Baldwin, Davis/Ladwig, Zhang/Bartholomay

17. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I wonder if Simpson/Blackmer would have medaled at JGP Lake Placid with those programs. Even though their score was lower, I enjoyed Aaron/Settlage's programs much more.

Also, assuming Calalang/Sidhu and Simpson/Blackmer get a 2nd JGP, who do you think gets the final spot available?? De La Mora/Wilson, Oltmanns/Santillian, Goldberg/Dolk, or Belt/Johnson ?

18. Sylvia

FWIW, Christina Zaitsev/Ernie Utah Stevens have the highest summer competition total score (113 at Indy Challenge) of the age-eligible pairs yet to be assigned to a JGP.

I've updated my U.S. Pairs Scoretracker with scores from recent club competitions, the first 2 JGPs, as well as the Senior B and Junior/Novice Challenge Skate in Salt Lake City this past weekend: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/2012-2013-pairs-scores/

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  19. olympic

Thanks. Interesting to see C/S doing so well in the pre-season. I hope they overcome the inconsistency on the SBS jumps because they are dynamic and their explosiveness on the big elements, as well as the lifts, could take them far. Also didn't realize that S/K's score at Skate Detroit is comfortably the 3rd highest score among all US pairs so far. I'll say it 'til I'm blue in the face: USFSA, take note!

20. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

They have received Nice Senior B

21. olympic

Good! I didn't know that. Thx!

22. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

A big jump in score for newbys Kayne and O'Shea:

SENIOR PAIRS

*Caydee Denney
    John Coughlin
    n/a 172.16 CO Champs (exh.) Bye
    *Marissa Castelli
    Simon Shnapir
    109.14 165.74 Cranberry Open Bye
    *Alexa Scimeca
    Chris Knierim (new)
    98.19 156.68 Skate Detroit M
    Marissa Castelli
    Simon Shnapir
    103.66 152.68 MidAtlantics Bye
    Tarah Kayne
    Daniel O’Shea (new)
    101.33 150.50 SW FL Fall Classic E/M

*Haven Denney
    Brandon Frazier
    99.90 150.08 Skate Detroit M/P
    *Felicia Zhang
    Nate Bartholomay
    100.95 150.05 Liberty E
    *Gretchen Donlan
    Andrew Speroff
    100.28 150.00 Indy Challenge Bye
    Marissa Castelli
    Simon Shnapir
    102.95 149.96 Indy Challenge Bye
    Haven Denney
    Brandon Frazier
    101.05 147.14 Broadmoor Open (exh.) M/P
    *Lindsay Davis
    Mark Ladwig (new)
    94.49 144.35 Indy Challenge P/M
    *Tiffany Vise
    Don Baldwin
    102.35 143.34 Salt Lake Senior B, 3rd P
    Felicia Zhang
    Nate Bartholomay
    95.88 143.32 Salt Lake Senior B, 4th E
    Felicia Zhang
    Nate Bartholomay
    91.71 142.98 Indy Challenge E
    Tiffany Vise
    Don Baldwin
    99.71 138.68 Indy Challenge P
    *Mary Beth Marley
    Rockne Brubaker – SPLIT on 8/14/12
    94.16 138.50 LA Open (exh.) n/a
    Tiffany Vise
    Don Baldwin
    87.26 136.54 Golden West (exh.) P
    Gretchen Donlan
    Andrew Speroff
    97.59 137.93 Cranberry Open Bye
    Felicia Zhang
    Nate Bartholomay
    87.19 130.85 Summer Chiller E
    Tarah Kayne
    Daniel O’Shea (new)
    91.55 130.77 Indy Challenge E/M
    Lindsay Davis
    Mark Ladwig 75.73 121.31 Salt Lake Senior B, 5th P/M
    Kiri Baga
    Taylor Toth (new)
    82.74 119.41 Skate Detroit M/E
    Tarah Kayne
    Daniel O’Shea
    79.12 115.61 Summer Chiller E/M
    *Kylie Duarte
    Colin Grafton
    72.08 112.93 Liberty E/P
    Alexa Scimeca
    Chris Knierim
    n/a 50.89 Broadmoor Open M
    Lindsay Davis
    Mark Ladwig n/a 44.29 Summer Chiller P/M
    Kiri Baga
    Taylor Toth
    n/a 43.95 Indy Challenge M/E
    DeeDee Leng
    Timothy LeDuc (new)
    n/a 43.13 Indy Challenge M
    *Caitlin Yankowskas
    Joshua Reagan (new)

23. Sylvia

24. olympic

D/C just captured Silver at the Nebelhorn Trophy behind V/T. They scored around 122 pts. for the LP.

http://deu-event.de/results/Nebelhorn_2012/index.htm

If you look at the TES for both D/C and V/T, V/T only beat D/C by approximately 1.5 pts. in the LP, and judging by the GOE, it looks like both teams were clean. That's got to be a shot-in-the-arm for them that they are 'hanging' with an elite team.

However, D/C get dusted in the PCS :slinkaway which doesn't surprise me. Still, I look forward to seeing a video of these programs ...

ETA- D/S did respectably in the LP scoring 102.14, but guess which elements they had problems with :shuffle:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  25. Sylvia

Good job by both Denney/Coughlin 178.90 2nd overall (121.61 FS), and Donlan/Speroff 145.35 4th overall (102.14 3rd in FS) at Nebelhorn for their first international of the season! :) On to Skate America!

26. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Donlan/Speroff will pick up 182 much needed ISU points as well.

Hopefully they can raise their SP TES score at Skate America.

27. olympic

28. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Not bad at all. Good music for them I think (Step up from Michelle short to a Michelle Long -lol) He is slightly improved- still cant perform a camel or spiral, shoulders up to his ears and has been wearing all black for four or five years but they are clearly the best in the US for now.

29. olympic

IMO, Black is the best color for them though

30. olympic

D/C's LP at Nebelhorn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SpJ2tPpSwY

POTO. I think it's funny that he points his toes (on the SBS sit spin) and she doesn't. I guess one of them has taken the dance lessons this summer more seriously than the other :p But seriously, I didn't expect them to handle this music, but they do a pretty good job

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.