US Pairs 2012-13 news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Here's a summary of the known status of the top U.S. Senior & Junior pairs as we head into the off-season.

Friendly request: Please let's try and keep this thread focused on confirmed and/or reliable hearsay news and updates. Thanks!

Senior teams currently listed in the 2012-13 ISP:
    Caydee Denney & John Coughlin S1
    Mary Beth Marley & Rockne Brubaker S2
    Gretchen Donlan & Andrew Speroff S4
    Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir S5
    Felicia Zhang & Nathan Bartholomay S8
    Tiffany Vise & Don Baldwin S9

Planning to move/test up to Senior in the US:
    Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier J1
    Kylie Duarte & Colin Grafton J3

Confirmed/Announced (in recent articles) as new Senior teams:
    Caitlin Yankowskas & Joshua Reagan (March 22, 2012): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120322&content_id=27522848&vkey=ice_news
    Kiri Baga & Taylor Toth (she is new to pairs & needs to test up): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120323&content_id=27536620&vkey=ice_news
    Tarah Kayne & Danny O'Shea (she is new to pairs; both are reportedly testing up)
    Lindsay Davis & Mark Ladwig - May 4, 2012 article link posted in this separate discussion thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83551

"Hearsay" Senior teams::
    Alexa Scimeca & Chris Knierim (new, training in Colorado Springs)
    Cassie Andrews & Nicholas Anderson (re-teaming in Indianapolis)

Not listed on IPS (icepartnersearch.com):
    Ashley Cain S6 - likely to return to JGP in singles & will compete Senior ladies in the U.S. in 2012-13
    Timothy LeDuc S11 - still looking as of the May 2nd article link posted in this GSD thread: The challenges of finding a suitable pair/dance partner...

Listed on IPS (have competed at Nationals, Nov.-Sr., within the past few years):
    * = ISU Junior age-eligible in 2012-13

Andrea Poapst S7
    Ivan Dimitrov S10
    Danielle Viola N6
    *Anthony Evans N7
    *Chad Phillips N8
    *Victoria LoRusso N11
    Drew Meekins
    Joseph Lynch
    *Adam Civiello

Junior/JGP-eligible teams currently listed in the 2012-13 ISP:
    * = previous JGP experience

*Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier J1
    *Britney Simpson & Matthew Blackmer J2
    *Jessica Noelle Calalang & Zack Sidhu J4
    Jessica Pfund & AJ Reiss J5
    *Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage J6
    Brianna de la Mora & Taylor Wilson J8
    *Olivia Oltmanns & Joshua Santillan J9
    Audrey Goldberg & Joseph Dolkiewicz J10
    Christina Zaitsev & Ernie Utah Stevens N4

New Junior(?) team (hearsay):
    AnnaMarie Pearce & Matej Silecky (new to pairs)

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia.

One of the more intriguing things for the new season in pairs for me, will be how well the junior pairs teams testing up to seniors (Denney/ Frazier and Duarte/ Grafton) will fare among the more established teams at the top and among the newly formed teams, especially Yankowskas/ Reagan and Davis/ Ladwig, and also Baga/ Toth.

3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Ooooo. I may have to pay attention to the JGP with Russia's D/D and Zaitsev/Stevens (Divaette/Utah) competing this season. Two of my very favorite teams that I will be very, very saddened if they outgrow each other.

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Andrea PoapstÂ’s citizenship is listed as Canadian on her icepartnersearch profile. Is this correct?

5. Sylvia

Yes, she competed in Junior Ladies at Canadians a few years ago (ETA: 6th in 2010).

This was posted in the Pairs/Dance splits 2012 thread earlier today:
    I assume this is Canada's Brittany Jones -- can anyone provide any reliable hearsay information?

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  6. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Yes, she is from Canada.

7. aftershocks

It's mentioned in the pairs/ split thread that Jones is trying out with Ian Beharry who is rumored to have split with Katherine Bobak.

8. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

^^ I hope this does not come to fruition.

9. Sylvia

I'm assuming "Brittany Jones has moved to Cali" isn't accurate or, at least, premature at this point.

I missed this pair news tidbit that was published in early April in an article about the Skating Club of Boston's "Ice Chips" show:
    Link to the "Ice Chips" thread in GSD with show videos of Castelli/Shnapir and Donlan/Speroff:

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  10. Sylvia

Two new pairs were added recently to USFS' International Selection Pool (ISP) -- Lindsay Davis & Mark Ladwig and Caitlin Yankowskas & Joshua Reagan -- bringing the current total to 18 pairs (9 Senior and 9 ISU Junior age-eligible).

The registration deadline for the National Pairs Camp, scheduled for June 9-10, 2012, at the Canlan Ice Sports facility in Fort Wayne, Indiana, is May 15th: http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=516
    ETA #1:
    @TaylorToth tweeted today:
    "Congrats @KiriBaga on becoming an intermediate pair skater!!!!"

ETA #2: Tanith Belbin tweeted this photo of her and the SC of Boston pairs (Castelli/Shnapir, Donlan/Speroff, Shaughnessy/Morgan, Bautista/Harris)
    http://twitter.com/#!/TanithJLB/status/200722043908521985/photo/1

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  11. aftershocks

I've received a couple of unsolicited pms from a FSU poster :cold: who claims that "the Ellenton rink has some amazing energy now and there are pairs teams that [will] Shock even After shocks."

There are some good junior pairs I know, some of whom will be moving up to seniors next season. I enjoyed watching Denney/ Frazier, and Simpson/ Blackmer at Nats in January, but those teams train out of Colorado Springs.

Aside from the new team of Davis/ Ladwig, who else in Ellenton is on the rise? I'm willing to be impressed, but I doubt I'll be "shocked." U.S. pairs is fairly exciting at the moment, and watchable. :watch:

Perhaps the "mystery shockers" are currently competing as novices?

Also, does anyone know why the winning young team, Tanovich/ Chau, split up awhile ago?

12. Sylvia

Felicia Zhang/Nate Bartholomay and the new team of Tarah Kayne/Danny O'Shea are 2 other pairs in Ellenton, FL. They're mentioned in this article link in my post #1 above (scroll down past the Baga/Toth section): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120323&content_id=27536620&vkey=ice_news

ETA re. Tanovich/Chau: I never heard an official reason for their split in May 2010. Both have been competing in singles since then. Last I heard, Chau is still in Ellenton (he placed 6th in Senior Men at Eastern Sectionals this past season); Tanovich (junior last season and competing senior now) switched to another rink in Florida and currently is coached by Richard Callaghan, I believe.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She outgrew him.

14. aftershocks

Thanks Sylvia, and Ziggy.

I definitely enjoyed watching Tanovich/ Chau in novice and juniors. I didn't realize Tracy experienced a growth spurt that made their partnership difficult to maintain. It must be very challenging for them both to be a winning pair team and then compete lower-ranked in singles and not make Nationals.

I remember seeing Zhang/ Bartholomay at Nats and I think they're a good team, but not in the "shock and awe" category. I remember when Zhang skated with Taylor Toth, but her new partnership probably works better for her. I'm excited to see the new team of Baga/ Toth as they both seem to have a similar lyrical style.

Are there any clips available of Kayne/ O'Shea?

15. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

michael chau is fabulous but only 5'4 so tracy didnt have to grow that much to outgrow him

16. aftershocks

^^ Ohhhh, too bad -- they were fun to watch. I guess Chau will not have a future in pairs if he's stopped growing.

17. Sylvia

Not that I know of - they have yet to compete together. I've heard they may be making their competition debut at Liberty in July.

The 3 other pair teams in Ellenton, FL (for a total of 6 teams) are:
    Stacey Kemp/David King (GBR) - #23 in ISU World Standings, eligible for a Senior GP invite

Junior: Alyssa McDougal/Paul Schatz (new team; he is 21 now)
    Novice: Grace Knoop/Noah Chinault (8th in Intermediate at 2012 Jr. Nationals)

I'm told that Michael Chau is planning to continue competing in singles and he will also be assisting in coaching in Ellenton.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  18. aftershocks

^^ Thanks for the additional information, Sylvia!

19. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

As others have mentioned, Tanovich and Chau were nearly the same height by the end of their partnership (Chau is about 5'4", maybe a bit less). They attempted to hang on for one last season, which would have been their first on the JGP, but Chau hurt his shoulder and I think that forced the issue.

The writing had been on the wall for a few seasons, and at least for me, it allowed an interesting perspective on their skating. I always enjoyed watching them skate from Juvenile on up, with a joy and lovely quality of movement about them. Although any season may be a team's last season, I was especially aware of that with Tanovich and Chau (because of his height and her age), and it allowed me to really appreciate their performances in their last few years. I know that many were hoping they would get their well-earned Team USA jackets before they needed to split, and the timing of Chau's injury was unfortunate.

20. Sylvia

Yes, I was really hoping they could compete internationally at least once together. :( On a positive, present day note, Tanovich can land a clean 2A as a singles skater and seems to be improving its consistency in competition.

Tiffany Vise ‏( @icetiff ) tweeted on May 13:

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  21. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

AFAIR, I&B also used Mills for choreo a number of times, so it's no surprise that he's doing V&B's choreo..

22. Sylvia

Interesting article about throw jumps with quotes by Amanda Evora, Timothy LeDuc, Taylor Toth, Marissa Castelli, Britney Simpson, and coach Bobby Martin: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120515&content_id=31336512&vkey=ice_news
    ETA: Harrison Choate filmed the video of "Castelli & Shnapir - Quad Throw Salchow" that's linked from the article (under the "Related Content" header).

ETA #2: @dscclub tweeted today that Denney/Coughlin are visiting Detroit Skating Club this week to work with choreographer Pasquale Camerlengo.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  23. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Boy do I wish that C&S could get the SBS jumps. They look so good in all the other respects.

24. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Wow - that quad throw salchow looked so easy! Wonder if they'll put that in their program instead of the throw triple axel.

Very interesting article.

25. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

All power to C/S with a throw Quad. If it's easier for them, then they should go for it.

I more wish he would get the SBS jumps though. He even struggles with the 2x

26. Sylvia

Senior Grand Prix initial assignments for US Pairs (10 slots, 7 teams for now):
    Two: Denney/Coughlin (Skate America/Russia), Marley/Brubaker (Canada/Japan)
    One: Donlan/Speroff (Skate America), Castelli/Shnapir (Japan), Vise/Baldwin (Canada), Yankowskas/Reagan (China), Davis/Ladwig (Japan), TBA at Skate America

Possible Senior B and/or consideration for Skate America TBA:
    Felicia Zhang & Nate Bartholomay (S8)
    Kylie Duarte & Colin Grafton (J3 / JW8; she has aged out of ISU Junior events)

Junior Grand Prix age-eligible pairs currently listed in USFS' International Selection Pool (9 teams):
    Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier (J1 / JW4)
    Britney Simpson & Matthew Blackmer (J2 / JW10 / JGPF3)
    Jessica Noelle Calalang & Zack Sidhu (J4 / qualified for JGPF but WD)
    Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage (J6)
    Olivia Oltmanns & Joshua Santillan (J9)
    Yet to compete on JGP:
    Jessica Pfund & AJ Reiss (J5) - won Jr. gold at Challenge Cup in March
    Brianna de la Mora & Taylor Wilson (J8)
    Audrey Goldberg & Joseph Dolkiewicz (J10)
    Christina Zaitsev & Ernie Utah Stevens (N4)

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  27. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Couldn't be happier for Donlan/Speroff!

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  28. winterone

winterone Banned Member

OK what's up with Vise/Baldwin getting Canada? The looked BAD at nationals. And no GP of Z/B? Looks like bad judgement?

29. Sylvia

Vise/Baldwin are ranked #20 on the ISU Season Best total scores list (top 24 are guaranteed 1 GP).

30. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

There World Rankings are much higher as they have done a number of GP's. Z/B are pretty much unproven, but hopefully they have a good summer showing, get Oberstdorf and have a good showing and get some points and get the TBA for SA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.