US Nationals TV Schedule

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by joemauerlover, Jan 4, 2011.

1. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Strange...I was wondering why some of the skaters were promoting the HECK out of the icenetwork coverage on Twitter, almost as if they were paid to do so...anyway, looks like that's the only way to get live coverage of anything other than the top 6 freeskates in each discipline.

Not that it mattered that much to me personally since I don't get the channel anyway.

2. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

3. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

That one even works for me here in central Canada. Too bad it isn't universal sports because I already get NBC from my cable provider, both eastern and western time zones, both SD and HD.

4. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

We've got nice links posted here for all the coverage, but does anyone know of a link for the entries (Senior)? I can't find one anywhere.

5. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

:( I think Universal Sports televised every single Ladies and Mens short program last season. They only showed a couple Pairs and maybe some Original Dances, but it was better than nothing. The year before, there were hours and hours of SP coverage televised on Universal Sports as well. Some of it was tape delayed by a few hours and commentary free... I remember loving how much coverage there was.

I wonder what has changed this year?

6. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Every Sr Lady SP was shown and many men (not all).

What changed:

(a) NBC/Universal was just bought-out by Comcast (read that = Profit$ Uber Alles)

(b) This is not an Olympic season

(c) No big-name skater -- like Cohen last year -- is competing.

There's still a small chance that live SPs coverage on UnivSports will be announced. It doesn't begin 'til tomorrow (Srs-level SPs) and there are nice big "TBD" gaps in my on-screen Comcast guide for the exact times tomorrow when SPs are happening in Greensboro. Since hubby and I will be in Greensboro for the sr events, a neighbor-friend will be on the look-out for us, ready to record if the schedule changes. I still have a small hunch that something will pop-up for tomorrow/Friday senior events....but not as much hope as I had before the big Comcast buy-out announcement last week.

7. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Last year, US broadcast the final two groups in the OD live.

What's changed, in addition to the Comcast buyout, is the deal between USFS and IceNetwork. Giving sole airing rights to IN via pay-per-view (at 30 bucks a pop :mad: ) drives business to their site, which in turn drives $$$ to USFS.

8. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

Or in my case, just drives me AWAY. Between this and the ridiculous, ludicrous jacket display all season in the k&c, I'm beginning to really dislike USFS...

-Bridget :(

9. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Maybe IN was operating at a loss, and they figured having exclusive rights to US Nats is one way to turn things around...?

10. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

It's not 30 bucks a pop (competition) -- it's 30 bucks for the whole year.

Now, if you're only interested in one competition a year, it's not a very good deal.

But if you want to see regionals and sectionals and the various internationals that they cover as well as Nationals, then it is a good deal.

Assuming you can actually watch the coverage whenever you want. It was great for me last year.

This year they're using a faster transmission rate and my home DSL can't handle it, so I really only get value for the $30 when I watch from my office computer. If that will still be the same case next year, then I won't renew.

11. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

I'd understand giving exclusive rights to IN for the LIVE broadcast, but I really wish/hope that UniSports could have gotten/get tape delay a few hours later.

-Bridget

12. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Icenetwork has been a great deal IMO. 30 dollars for a ton of skating is a bargain.

13. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Does Icenetwork work for Canadian viewers? I know in years past coverage of Nationals wasn't geo-blocked, but I would like to find out before I shell out $30.

14. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I didn't renew IN this year, either. IN increased the annual subscription rate and Customer Service said they wouldn't offer a discount, yet they just knocked $10 off the rate.

Last year, I had a lot of trouble with my account being blacked out incorrectly.
    With the USFSA raising the costs of coaching (CER), I decided that IN had to be crossed out in my budget.

It was nice to watch Universal Sports' live coverage of all the skaters last year, including the warmups.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  15. care bear

care bear Active Member

I was watching it on Icenetwork in Germany yesterday.:)

16. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I had a subscription last year to watch the GP and Nationals, so I understand that it's not $30 per competition. Perhaps "a pop" wasn't the best choice of words.

This year, I opted to pay 14.95 for the Universal Sports online subscription to the GP as I was under the misconception that USport's coverage would be more than repeats of the NBC broadcast from Nationals. As we all now know, their coverage of Nationals this year is pathetic :blah: :rolleyes:.

17. bibi

bibi Member

I can't access icenetwork?? Am i the only one??? :( why does this have to happen during the ladies sp !

18. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Sorry you were'nt able to get in, seems like some people got in and some didn't. I'm sure NBC will show the top sp highlights so you won't miss out.

19. love skating

love skating Clueless American

I noticed that I can watch the Universal Sports repeat of the ladies free on Saturday at 8:00 p.m. Pacific time. That's one hour earlier than the NBC tape delayed start time of 9:00 p.m. on the West Coast.

20. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Wow, that is so funny. HA!

21. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

i just noticed on the IN site that with the long programs, only the earlier skaters will be shown, and the rest will be live on tv. Well, i live in australia, and it wont be on tv. It seems ridiculous to pay to watch the lower placed skaters, then have to wait 3 days to see the medalists.

I am outraged.

22. Frau Muller

Understandable. Let's hope that IN doesn't show live ONLY the first 2 groups of every discipline, then show on live TV only the LAST group. Which means that a talent-packed pennultimate group is seen NOWHERE LIVE...only 4 days later via on-demand. [Of course, we who'll be live in the arena will see all live...but people who paid their IN subscription thought that they'd also be enjoying seeing complete competitions live.] That's what happened last year.

Case in point: Sr. Pairs tomorrow morning. There's no conceivable way that any of the Pairs could be shown live in a telecast that begins at 3pm, EST....because the entire Pairs finals shall have ended before the next event, Sr Dance finals, which begin at 12:35pm on the same ice. So is IN planning to chack the live airing of any of Sr Pairs due to the NBC show four hours later? For Pairs, ALL should be shown live because there ain't no way that ANY of it could be shown live on NBC.

23. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I think IN is a bargain. Way cheaper than attending a live competition. I also buy Russian TV because I want to see Russian nationals. IN doesn't appear to have the rights for 4C or Worlds yet and I'm certain NBC will not show them either so Russian TV may be it.

Universal Sports has very limited coverage and that could be decreased by Comcast since they already have a sports channel. Shrug. I'm happy when there's a free internet feed, but I'll pay for a subscription when there is not. Life isn't free.

24. bibi

bibi Member

I was able to access it for the last two flights ! I don't know what happened :p

25. Frau Muller

Oh, "whoop-dee-doo" for that! :rolleyes: And the more time that NBC spends showing SPs means less time for live LPs. There should have been separate shows for all championship-level SPs, like UnivSports offered last year.

26. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I am sorry you are surprised to find this out, but IN makes this pretty clear on their list of schedule times and it's been discussed multiple times in this thread (like in the 6th post). IN does not have the rights to broadcast the higher ranked skaters, NBC does. They aren't doing it to spite you.

27. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I think we should all be happy skating is on at all on NBC this weekend.

AJ Skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  28. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Even though it's annoying to have to switch mediums in the middle of a competition and there are going to be some (probably a whole flight) who don't get shown at all, the coverage and ability to see most of Nats is a zillion times better than it's ever been. I would much rather pay $40 for a season subscription than have to get cable just to see skating, which is what was going on in the last years of the ABC/ESPN contract. Of course I'd love for the full final 2 groups to be on the Universal Sports channel and just forgo NBC altogether, but I do understand why that's not how they're doing it (plus lots of people don't get the US channel).

29. RD

RD Well-Known Member

^ Good way to put things in perspective. Yes, having IN is real nice in the end, even with their issues.

30. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. If you'd bothered to check the event schedule, you'd see that both the Pairs FS and the Free Dance have live coverage:

(all times mentioned below are Eastern Standard Time):

From 10:45 a.m. until 12:15 p.m., the first three groups of Pairs will compete in the Free Skate, which will be streamed live on IceNetwork. The first two groups in Ice Dancing will start immediately afterward, beginning at 12:35 p.m. and ending at 2:00 p.m., Again, IceNetwork will be streaming those first two groups live.

The Pairs Free Skate will resume at 2:25 p.m. Three teams will take the ice, then there will be an ice make, followed by the final four teams.

The NBC coverage begins at 3:00 p.m.

- When it starts up again with the penultimate group, there will be 6 minutes for warm-up, followed by
    - Three teams at ~8 minutes for each (from their introduction through the announcing of their scores), totaling ~24 minutes. After that,
    - The final group takes the ice for their warm-up for 6 minutes.

The above adds up to 36 minutes, give or take a minute or two. If the competition resumes at 2:25, that puts the final flight's start time at 3:00. However, if there's an ice make after Group 4, that will add another 15-20 minutes. If that were the case, the final flight would start at ~3:20, leaving open a 20 minute window during which Peter, C., Sandra Bezic (?), and that gasbag, Tom Hammond, to recap and show highlights from the Pairs Short Program.

Group 5, at ~8 minutes for each team, would take just under 35 minutes. If the start time for them is in fact 3:00, they would be done by ~3:35, which would leave around 50 minutes until the Free Dance resumes, during which time they could show several of Short Dances. If they do flood the ice, that time would be cut down to a half hour or so - still enough time to show at least 3 or 4 SDs

Ice Dancing would play out in a similar fashion. The Free Dance resumes at 4:25, with 8 teams remaining, the exception being that there would be no ice make between groups 3 and 4. There would be

- A 6 minute warm-up
    - Four teams at ~8 minutes for each, totaling ~32 minutes. After that,
    - Group 4 has their 6 minute warm-up, followed by
    - Four teams at ~8 minutes each, totaling 32 minutes.

The above adds up to ~ 1ΒΌ hours. If the Free Dance resumes at 4:25, it would be over at ~5:40, leaving times afterwards for interviews and/or highlights from the Ladies Short Program.

I've spent wayyyyy too much time analyzing this :shuffle: :slinkaway

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011