US Nationals Ladies 4th podium spot prediction poll

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Dec 1, 2011.

?

Who will make the podium? Multiple choice allowed if you can't pick just 1

1. Caroline Zhang

19.8%
  2. Rachael Flatt

19.0%
  3. Vanessa Lam

6.6%
  4. Samantha Cesario

9.1%
  5. Leah Keiser

28.9%
  6. Agnes Zawadzki

24.0%
  7. Christina Gao

9.1%
  8. Yasmin Siraj

14.9%
  9. Angela Wang

1.7%
  10. Kiri Baga

2.5%
  11. Nina Jiang

1.7%
  12. Mckinzie Daniels

1.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Assuming Alissa, Mirai, and Ashley make podium (which might not even happen, who knows....), who would you predict to join them on the podium?
  2. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Caroline! And that would be huge step forward for her as odd as it sounds.
  3. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Yes, pewter would be a step up.

( Of course, higher on the podium would be fine too. I'm easy to please. )
  4. burntBREAD

burntBREAD New Member

Voted for Angela Wang, an upset! I feel like she's always left out of the discussion, but I like her programs this year and she has a 3F-3T. She could be a Jr. Worlds spoiler.
  5. icellist

icellist New Member

I hope it's Caroline with her 3L-3L. Anybody have a clip? or a recommended jump layout for her with that combo? Rachael, Agnes, and Christina have all been subpar so far this season. Leah Keiser, Nina Jiang, and Angela Wang do look promising though.
  6. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I'm pulling for Caroline. :)
  7. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I hope it's Caroline, but I'm predicting it'll be Flatt.
  8. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Is Caroline doing/attempting a 3R-3R (loops)? I don't recall her landing it even once. May be she landed one in practice?
  9. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I voted for Leah Keiser. This girl is fearless, and her scores from sectionals were big (especially, the FS)!
  10. Jarrett

She has apparently been landing them since summer time. Her loop tech looked beautiful in the short program at SA. :kickass:
  11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Did she land the 3R-3R combination as posted here?
  12. Jarrett

People has seen them at practice sessions only.
  13. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

No, she did not, but she did land a gorgeous 3Lo.
  14. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

No, Zhang has yet to attempt the 3Lo+3Lo combination in competition this season (I think she should consider putting it into her SP) but her combo looked good to me in Skate America practices earlier this fall -- refer to this post:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3355940&postcount=38
    She has consistently performed strong short programs so far this season; it's her free skate that has been more inconsistent.
  15. icellist

icellist New Member

i think Caroline should switch her SP jumps to 3L-3L, 3F and 2A. She sounded rather confident about that combination in an interview. But her lack of jump repertoire hinders her permutation of jumps for the LP.
  16. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Zawadski is not yet a lost cause like Flatt, she may improve her ranks next year, but then again there will always be others constantly improving
  17. feraina

feraina Active Member

I think she should too. Even if she pops the 3R-3R into 3R-2R, overall it will still be higher TES. Unless she thinks she can get her 3F-3T back. But she's still a bit hit-and-miss with her 3F this year (better than last season, though -- I guess it just takes time for her new technique to really sink in), and *very* consistent with her 3R. If she has a clean SP with 3R-3R, 3F, and 2A, she could end in the top 3 after SP, which would give her a lot of momentum for the FS.
  18. mkats

mkats New Member

Oh, I really hope it's Caroline!
  19. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

When and where is the coming 4CCs? Is it likely that the top 2 US ladies will go to 4CCs?

If not, I hope Cesario and Zawadzki make 4th and 5th just so they could attend 4CCs as their first senior international championship experience and hopefully secure them 2 GPs for next season. Zawadzki might ahve skated poorly at the GPs but she usually pulls it back together by the second half of the season.
  20. krenseby

krenseby New Member

This is so funny. There is just no way she will end up in fourth. I mean you have gotta to be realistic. There are so many ladies out there that can beat her and not just by a few points but by many points in the LP. Not only are her jumps in the LP very inconsistent, but she isn't getting good PCS in it either. A realistic finish for her is somewhere around 6th or 7th place.

Now, Agnes, Leah, Christina, Rachael, and Vanessa are all good candidates for the fourth spot. Of course, I hope Leah could do better than fourth.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  21. icellist

icellist New Member

Krenseby, maybe we are being realistic. Agnes and Christina have been subpar so far this season. Rachael's status is extremely iffy balancing training and school-life. Vanessa, while consistent, still has tiny jumps. Leah is still relatively new to the senior ranks. We've all got opinions, and they're not as crazy as you think. Sorry, it's just that I felt that your tone was rather more condescending than what you actually meant.
  22. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

It will be one of Caroline, Agnes, or Keiser. Agnes could even take the 3rd place if she skates very well and one of Wagner or Nagasu does not. No way will Gao or Flatt even be in the top 5 this year IMHO.
  23. haribobo

I wonder if Krenseby watched or followed the results at Cup of Russia or Pac Coast Sectionals? :slinkaway

Rachael (FS TES 44) and Christina (FS TES 36) would have had trouble qualifying out of Sectionals with free skates like that. Granted they could be improved by Nationals, but I dunno...

Easterns top 4 TES ranged from 47 to 56. Mids top 4 TES ranged from 39 to 53 (so Rachel would've had the 4th highest TES there).

Pacs top 3 TES were 54-62. 4th place had 38. So Rachel would've gotten 4th in TES there too. And based on watching the actual programs, I don't think the panels were being extra kind at Sectionals or extra tough at CoR.

Just some food for thought...
  24. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

The jump is higher than before because she has more power, but she still uses too much her shoulders. I doubt her 3L/3L would be complete. ;)
    What about 3F/3T ? Her 3F is so much better than before.
  25. krenseby

krenseby New Member

haribobo, I am aware of the Cup of Russia results, but I am allowing for the possibility that both Rachael and Christina will improve quite a bit by Nationals.Not a sure thing of course, but quite possible. Leah Keiser, on the other hand, has been doing great and she is a a natural candidate for the top four.

Also, Rachel and Agnes's LP scores at Cup of Russia still beat Caroline's Skate America LP scores handily. Now, of course, you could argue that we should be comparing their LP scores at Cup of Russia to Caroline's scores at Pacific Sectionals, but then again we don't know which Caroline will show up at Nationals. Will it be the one with an LP like from Skate America or with an LP like from Sectionals? She is very unpredictable.
  26. Jarrett

Hmm. I don't understand why you have your hater cap on for Caroline. So Christina and Rachael can improve but Caroline is an unknown? She skated very well in the short program this entire season. I think it is a safe bet she will be in the hunt after the SP. Yes, Leah would be a good choice for 4th based on skates so far this season, but so is Caroline. Obviously Caroline has to contiune to improve in the long program but she has consistantly been pulling it together. On the other hand, Rachael, Christina, and Agnes have been pretty :yikes: the entire season without notable improvements in conditioning or marks received.
  27. Jarrett

I thought it looked great compared to the very distracting twist she used to go into the jump with. One of the judges at SA even gave her a +2 GOE for it. Although another one gave -1 the rest 1 and 0s.

Haha, I can't believe I am defending Caroline this much. What can I say, I love a comeback and underdog story.
  28. gotice

gotice New Member

:respec: for so many possibilities this year!! It could be FUN, if all of them bring their best :watch:
  29. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Or maybe it will be the Caroline with the 3L-3L we've been reading about. ;)

In any case Caroline has never received any favors from those National judges, and has never tasted that "National Inflation" that seems to lavished on other skaters.
  30. haribobo

oh that poor dead horse just keeps on getting beaten! Someone burn the dead horse so there's nothing left to beat already, please...
  31. krenseby

krenseby New Member

So what's a girl gotta do to get a taste of that Nationals Inflation? Medal at a Grand Prix event and become the new sensation?

Well Nationals is a high pressure event and for someone who is using a recently relearned jump technique, it's an enormous challenge to put it all together when it matters most. That's why it would be in bad faith for me to make such an optimistic prediction.Now, despite my uncertainty, there are no bad wishes on my part. Heck, I was and still am frequently uncertain about whether Alissa can manage to skate well or not, but I am very happy for her when she does.
  32. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Hoping it's Gao, Jiang, Siraj, or Cesario but more likely it will be Zawadzki or Zhang, maybe Keiser or Lam. Deep ladies field this year!
  33. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Leah Keiser is skating as a Senior at Nationals? Isn't she like 14? Seems like Gracie being older is much more ready to skate with the big girls especially judging by her JGP event. Didn't Keiser not make Nationals last year like Gold too?
  34. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

And your point is?

I posted this reply to you in the US Ladies thread recently in case you missed it...

But didn't you complain recently about our current crop of US ladies as follows:
    ;)
  35. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Rachael, Christina or Agnes. I know Rachael's not skating that well right now, but she could be in better shape later in the season.
  36. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I know people are thinking Christina will be out of the top 10 after the disaster that was COR, but she was decent at CoC and showed that her 3f-3t is still strong and rotated. She's still making up for lost training time at well, idk if she makes the podium this nationals but I think it's a definite possibility and that she'll be working very hard between now and nationals and put up a good fight there. Same goes for Rachael though with her school schedule putting in the extra training time she needs may be more difficult. Someone could surprise of course, but I wouldn't count either girl out because of one flukely performance each.
  37. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Yeah but Keiser is 14 and lots of girls do 3-3 combos at that age i was talking about the older skaters like Mirai. Leah probably should have stayed a Junior and gotten a bit more experience unless she's some kind of phenom like Liza. It will be interesting to see her at Nationals.
  38. kappa_1

kappa_1 New Member

Other: Kween
  39. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Hmmm. This is a great question. Czisny, Nagasu and Wagner are cemented into the top 3 as it stands, but that 4th place is open to so many skaters and there are so many other factors to consider -

I would give 4th as of now to Vanessa Lam, BUT only if Zawadzki and Gao don't improve markedly later in the season. Keiser gets low-balled in PCS and GOE marks due to age or lack of rep, and Flatt remains ... flat. At least one of the above is bound to improve by Nats, I just don't know who. All of them have their issues that maybe out of their control. [Zawadzki -slow; Gao - overcoming injury; Flatt - overload; Keiser - very young]

Cesario and Lam are roughly even score-wise, and even if I like Cesario a bit more, I'm putting Lam ahead of her just based on her ability to deliver, making it to JGPF, and her cred on the US Senior Level (final group of US ladies last year at Nats).

I think Zhang outskates many of the above skaters [including Lam] in the SP, but she needs more points in her LP to stay ahead. So, unless she fixes that, she'll be behind Lam in the final standings. Frankly, I mentioned this in another thread, but she needs to perhaps replace one of those 2x's for a triple (3t or perhaps a 3s)

Siraj isn't mentioned too much, and she scores high domestically, but I think without a 3t-3t in the SP (she's constantly popping it into the simplest combo:3t-2t), she'll bury herself amidst all the talent gunning for 4th and not avail herself to climbing that high.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  40. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Remember what we were all taught in drivers education class back in high school.......

................ It's the car you DON'T see that kills you. :D