US Nationals Exhibition Saturday 2/5 on NBC

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Sylvia, Feb 5, 2011.

1. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

thank you to the kind soul that uploaded the video of the gala to youtube!

Loved Amanda and Mark and of course Ryan! Evan's performance levels have gone up a notch since last year IMO. Seeing these videos makes me doubly sad my NBC showed basketball yesterday

2. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

and in exhibitions, skaters are usually more relaxed, so missing jumps shouldn't be an issue, unless the dark lighting affects them.

3. SwingDancer

SwingDancer Active Member

I watched, the program, and I did not remember seeing that, does anyone have a clip of that?

4. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

I just love the music Evan skated to, and I want to download it from iTunes, but I don't think it's there. There are three hits for El Tango de Roxanne, but the previews are too short to tell if one of them is the right music. Can anyone help? :wuzrobbed

5. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Is it different from the one on the Moulin Rouge soundrack?

6. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

I think it's the same one, but it looks like the Moulin Rouge soundtrack isn't on iTunes. :mad:

Actually, I think I have the soundtrack around here somewhere...I'll have to go look.

7. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

It is on itunes. I'm looking at it. Are you sure you spelled it right when you searched for it?

8. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

The DVD is there, and I see Karaoke CDs, but if you look under the albums section, there are all kinds of Moulin Rouge albums, but not the actual soundtrack.

If you search "Moulin Rouge Soundtrack", most of the songs come up, but they are performed by other artists.

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The Mouline Rough soundtrack is on itune except you have to buy the whole album :mad:. That defeat the whole purpose of itune.

I think Evan's arrangement has some modifications in the mid section.

10. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

We still haven't had a chance to watch the Gala, but "Tango de Roxanne" (the Moulin Rouge version) is one of Evan's SOI programs for this season. He did it at the SOI debut show in Lake Placid over Thanksgiving Weekend.

Swingdancer, I'm getting the impression that the program that Caydee & Jeremy did in the second half of the show (as a tribute to the pairs team from 1961) wasn't shown on the broadcast.

11. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

My favorites were Jeremy's and Amanda & Mark's programs. I love pairs, but I hate pairs exhibitions that are just a bunch of adagio lifts thrown together and a random detroiter here and there. (I'm looking at you, Caitlin/John and Mary Beth/Rockne; MB/R have had that "program" for a while, they skated it at Michael Weiss' show back in the fall.)

12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Jeremy's program also. It was cute but not age/gender inappropriate cute like what Rippon had with his "I'm Yours" number last season. I was also suprised how good Amanda & Mark's number was. I was expecting 80's cheese, but they did quite ok with that performance.

That's not "a while". Skater normally skates the same exhibition number for one entire season. Fall 2010 - January 2011 falls under one season.

13. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I'm cutting Mary Beth and Rockne all kinds of slack right now. They are far and away beyond what I thought they would be after skating together the short time they have. I loved how they looked together and can't wait to see how they progress. It was great to see them in the gala.

And I did adore Amanda and Mark's program. I love all things Disney and they skated that with authority...no cheese at all. Plus they were perfect for the roles! I'm so glad they are still competing. At the FOFS breakfast, they did an auction for dinner with Mark and Amanda...he was the "auctioneer" and he was wonderful. So personable and funny.

14. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

THE skate of the broadcast, to me, was Rachael Flatt. Everything - the music, choreography, the look (the dress' sleeves with the flaming cuffs!), etc. The new Rachael is anything BUT 'flat'!

Ryan "Willy Wonka" Bradley was the next-best, for me. I am so looking forward to seeing this guy in exhibitions for years to come. Mr. Entertainment. Some compare him to Scott H. but I prefer to think of him as an American version of Candeloro (but keeping on his clothes).

Glad that they showed the two Novice-solo winners but I was really hopin' for Courtney Hicks. Or maybe she was ill and didn't skate in the live exhibition?

Biggest disappointment? After the classic beauty of pairs winners' Yankowskas/Coughlin's SP and LP, I was really looking forward to seeing another 'Protopopovian' elegant routine from them in the exhib. What a shame that they skated to yet another "generic Calla-and-Rocky" sort of modern number. What a waste! Evora/Ladwig, on the other hand, were simply divine in the Pocahontas routine.

Favorite dance exhibition? The Shib-Sibs!

Evan - gets his shoe-polish/hair dye from the barber of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak. That's all I could think of as he skated. Sorry 'bout that.

Finally, ITA with the comments about Marley/Bru. And she really must get rid of that creepy frozen-fake smile. And should wear outfits that help elongate the neck. Sorry. Very talented, though.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  15. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

16. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Courtney skated in the exhibition, but my memory is failing me right now as to what she skated to. :slinkaway

I wish Dean and Charlotte could've made the broadcast. They did their Charlie Chaplin FD from last year, and it was a big hit with the crowd.

17. figure85

figure85 New Member

Agree with the the comments on Marley/Brubaker. Don't get me wrong I'm so happy he found a partner and they are doing so well in such a short amount of time. Of course the focus is to continue working on techinque but AT SOME POINT they need to address the creepy factor. I HOPE the frozen fake smile will go away as she gets more comfortable in front of an audience.

The Shib-Sibs were awesome...and I usually don't like bro/sis teams but they were great.

I heart D/W on cuteness. I wasn't the biggest fan of last years ex. way too dark/sad/depressing...but this just makes me :)

Overall great show.

18. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

I think Rachel was over emoting in that exhibition, making it seem unnatural. Some skaters can be expressive without overdoing it, like Lambiel, thus making it look natural. Rachel isn't one of them and may never be, as it's something that can't become natural by practice. But at least she's trying. You can tell whose inherently artistic and who had to 'learn' it. Those who are inherently artistic are born with it.

19. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member