US Nationals - back to Greensboro, NC in 2015 & St. Paul, MN in 2016

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 28, 2012.

1. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I am under the assumption that it will be a mail/fax order for the weekend package, and not through Ticketmaster, Carolla.
  2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Hmm. I have no idea where I'll be at in 2015, but the flights from NYC to Greensboro seem super doable.

However, I'm waaaay to afraid to commit to something like that right now :yikes:
  3. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Just an FYI. Raleigh Durham is close to Greensboro and often cheaper. (And don't worry I don't think it will sell out that quickly plus there always seem to be FSU members whose plans change....)
    oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Carolla5501

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  5. Carolla5501

So am I the only person who applied for the weekend package today?
  6. Carolla5501

Duplicate
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  7. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Called to update my credit card with the 2015 Greensboro National's committee and they gave me my seat assignment! I'm happy with them. :)
  8. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised they gave it to Greensboro twice in a short time. They must have done a really good job.
  9. acraven

acraven Active Member

I checked with the folks at the Greensboro booth while I was in Boston and was assured that they have rented the Coliseum for the entire Nationals period. This means we'll have a lot more of the competitive segments in the big arena than we did in Boston. I was also told that the secondary rink, also in the Coliseum complex, has seating for about 1500. That should be adequate in Greensboro; I don't remember excessive crowding the last time we were there.
  10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I was told the same thing.
    Transport between the two venues was problematic for me in Boston; so, I'm happy to hear this.
  11. madm

madm Active Member

The opportunity is there. Host cities have to submit bids to host Nationals. Not very many cities and clubs submit bids because it is expensive to run Nationals and you need a lot of club volunteers. Many major cities have a sports commission whose job it is to bring in high-profile sporting events. If you want Phoenix to host Nationals, then get the local club(s) to organize a bid. It takes a major city to pull off having enough ice for the events and practices, enough hotel rooms and restaurants for participants/officials/spectators, a major airline hub nearby, etc. The smallest city I ever went to for Nationals was Spokane, and they did a great job and had record attendance. BTW what do you think the attendance would be in a warm city like Phoenix? Skating is not as popular in a lot of southern cities as it is in the northern U.S. One of the criteria USFS considers in awarding a bid is the potential for high attendance which translates into revenue.
  12. Carolla5501

Someone affiliated with USFS told me Greensboro has sold more tickets a year out them they did last time and they had a pretty good turnout last time.
  13. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

And with including the juveniles and intermediates (not in Greensboro the last time they hosted), it means 192 additional competitors, plus their chaperones and coaches. Guaranteeing 2 to 3 venues and hotel rooms can be challenging even to major cities.
  14. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

to those who attended Boston 2014, anyone heard any rumors about the prospective bidders for 2017 Nationals?
  15. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

LOL, when I was there last week it was 40 below zero! MN weather is like a box of chocolates.
    meggonzo and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Yes, seating was pretty plentiful, IIRC. According to what the Greensboro rep at Nats told me, all Novice-Senior events will be in the main arena and the Juv and Int events (with some Jr/Sr practices) will be in the practice/downstairs rink. He said the setup (with Fan Fest) will be the same as last time. I asked where the 3rd surface would be and he said they were "hopeful" the referee would create a schedule that would only require 2 surfaces. Not sure how that is possible, unless there are events and practices in the middle of the night, lol, but he seemed confident. If it could be worked out, then great, b/c I think a 3rd surface would have to be a regular rink somewhere off-site. I suppose if they are using the main arena starting Saturday, they could schedule the Juv and Int events downstairs in the first few days, before Senior practices start. I don't think they started using the downstairs rink last time until Tues or Wed.
  17. lauren329

lauren329 Member

I was in Boston and I didn't hear any buzz about 2017. Lots of push for Greensboro and Boston Worlds which makes sense and the 2016 people from St Paul were there too.

Is the Sheraton Greensboro already fully committed? Was looking on the website and its not one of the options when you go to book through the LOC website even though its listed as a host hotel on the website.
  18. Carolla5501

I expect they have it blocked for competitors, judges, tour groups, officials etc.. You can't even book it now on the Starwood website, but keep stalking. I got the Westin this year using a great rate (Paid $189 for night one and the "birthday" rate for the other two nights, which basically means you pay the amount based on the year of your birth so if you were born in 1940, you pay $40, 1960 $60, 1980 $80 etc...)
  19. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

The Sheraton was previously open for spectators, but they've probably sold out the fan allotment. It's a huge hotel so I'm sure there will be openings through other avenues.
  20. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

The Sheraton was almost too big, I missed seeing lots of FSU'ers because we ended up on opposite ends of the hotel each evening ;)
  21. CoralReef

CoralReef New Member

Heard that Cleveland was there, purely exploratory though.
  22. MountainTime

MountainTime New Member

Sat next to a couple from the Greensboro LOC during the Gala and Sheraton has invested millions in renovation to the point of tearing out the old drywall. Independent restaurants, not hotel related are still a minimum and I was told to go to an area of town called Friendly. I did enjoy Old Salem last time as well as the warehouse called Replacements that has practically every pattern of china known to man, as well as, a cool museum in the back.

Going back to a city within a few years comforts me because I still remember the rink layout, hotel distance and other landmarks. No orientation needed.
  23. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I'm told that no hotels are within easy walking distance by those who attended last time. Can anyone tell me if there has been any new development near the arena since then. Is there anything closer - walkable?
  24. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

No hotels within walking distance. There is only one BBQ restaurant within walking distance.
  25. stejoho40

stejoho40 Active Member

Good. So you got the cold out of the way this year then? Sure would be nice to have it 30's and 40's instead of -44 windchill!
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  26. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

I'm sure Chipso1 would love to see warmer weather in Saint Paul. Just checked weather.com and the forecast for Saint Paul for January 20 is a high of 12F and low of -15F. Forecast for Tuesday January 21 is a high of 1F and low of 0F. I haven't decided about 2016 U. S. Nationals yet, but I'm not really counting on warm weather :lol:.

27. Doggygirl

Doggygirl Well-Known Member

Was there a good shuttle service? Or were rental cars a better idea / how was parking?
  28. Lutzcy

Lutzcy Active Member

At the Greensboro booth in Boston, I was told there would be a parking pass offered for $30.00 for parking at the arena for the whole week. Sounds like a good deal to me. I'm fortunate I live close enough to drive (8 hours) and will have my car. Also, a work friend offered me a free place to stay 40 minutes away.. Thinking about it.
  29. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

The shuttle service was okay. I will drive and get the parking pass.
  30. maureenfarone

I liked the shuttle service in Greensboro. Had no problem getting to the arena. The downside for me in Greensboro was getting back to the hotel. It seemed like a kind of long wait for the shuttle and then it would sit for quite awhile until every seat was full. I also had a friend who drove and dropped me at my hotel a couple of nights, so my experience getting from the arena to the hotel was limited to 3 nights.
    Weirdly I had the opposite problem in Boston. It seemed the way the routes were set up was to pick up fans at the Westin and Renaissance and then the Seaport Hotel. On Thursday morning I was the last person to board an early shuttle that was almost full when it stopped and quite a few fans were left waiting for the next shuttle. On Saturday morning I was not able to board 2 shuttles because they were already close to full. I finally got on a 3rd shuttle (so waited 1 hour). Getting back to the hotel at night wasn't a problem and I always got on the shuttle within a few minutes.

31. Doggygirl

Doggygirl Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for providing feedback on parking/shuttles. It's a 12-13 hour drive so if I go, I might think about the benefit of having my own car there! (and being able to take a LOT more stuff along than I could on a plane, LOL!)
  32. Carolla5501

I used the parking pass last time and it was great. For me it was so much cheaper to fly into Raleigh even with a rental car it was a no brainer. Plus then I could stay at the Springwood with a little kitchenette and free breakfast
  33. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wouldn't count on warmer weather, but 2012 and 2013 weren't bad (20s to high 30s ... and 2012 didn't have much snow at all... actually 2013 didn't have much snow in January, but we had three blizzards from the end of April through the first 10 days of May).

2014 has been bitter (down to minus 30 at times)... even those of us who live here were complaining (although as I write this, it's 32 degrees and very pretty out). Nationals last a week... it's possible to have days of bitter and days of "not so bad" in the same week.
  34. maureenfarone

Yes, I completely understand....I live outside Cleveland and last week we had a low of -11F with a windchill of -30F. Today its about 26F and more cold air is expected with lows below zero. I thought the shuttle in Saint Paul worked out very well. I did not stay on the skywalk because the hotels were more expensive. As I recall the volunteers did an excellent job at the end of events of lining people up inside the Xcel Center until the appropriate shuttle appeared. No one was allowed to stand outside and wait. I thought they did an excellent job! Also, for the people who are thinking about going there were also shuttles to the hotels that were on the skywalk though I don't know what the plan is for 2016. The skywalk hotels were about 1/2 mile and some people dealing with physical problems were not able to walk that far.

35. Impromptu

I have no idea what the plans are, and certainly the Skyway hotels would be the most convenient; there's also Holiday Inn (I think it's a Holiday Inn) a couple blocks from the Xcel that's not on the Skyway. For people that don't care about being able to run back and forth between the arena and the hotel quickly, an alternate plan would be to stay in one of the downtown Minneapolis hotels (there are more of them, and might be slightly less expensive because they have to compete with each other) or The Commons Hotel on the U of MN campus, then just hop on the Light Rail which should take you really close to the Xcel. It would be far cheaper, and faster, than driving and parking every day.
  36. stejoho40

stejoho40 Active Member

Do you know what the closet light rail stop to Excel is?
  37. Impromptu

It will be the "Central" stop (the "Green Line" of the LRT is scheduled to open this Spring), about 5 blocks away - looks like it's right by the Hotel 340, which would give it access to the Skyways. If you look at this map (http://www.metrotransit.org/metro-system ), the Blue Line is open now, the Green Line will be open this year.
  38. Lizziebeth

Lizziebeth garden freak

Well, we are having a relatively bad winter this year, polar vortex and all, and it snows again just when the roads get cleared off. Meh. Maybe we are getting this out of the way so it will be decent in 2016. If I recall correctly, it was horribly cold the first part of the week in 2008, but I remember it was really nice (January thaw) as I was driving home!
  39. stejoho40

stejoho40 Active Member

Thanks for the map impromptu
  40. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

A friend and I just put in our ticket order! I haven't been to nationals in years and she's never been. We'll book our room once we know what the schedule will be. We're getting all-event tickets.