US National Swimmer Fran Crippen Dies in Open Water Race

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by uyeahu, Oct 23, 2010.

1. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

I was really shocked to read this news. I know there are members of this board close to the Crippen family and my heart goes out to all of you. I'm just in a state of total disbelief right now.

Fran Crippen Dies in Open Water Swimming Race

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

So sad....he's from the Philly area, Bryn Mawr. Poor guy.

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch New Member

OMG, how awful! I can't believe it!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

4. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Water temperature in the mid 80s?

5. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

That was very sad to read.

6. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

He is from Conshohocken.

So tragic and unbelievable. I just still can't believe it. My heart breaks for the Crippens and the GA community. :( :( :(

This morning I am reading that preliminary results indicate a heart attack.

7. AYS

8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

What I don't understand is that it said his body was found 2 hours after the event? Do they not have spotters (coaches?) watching the swimmers? Shouldn't someone have noticed he was in distress, or didn't resurface?

Or was it just that someone did notice, but then they couldn't find him?

This quote:
    lead me to believe that the first sign of trouble was him not finishing. That seems so unacceptable.

This is just so unbelievably sad.

ETA: and this quote, makes me hope there was some translation issues, because otherwise, this guy is a monster.

9. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Too tragic :(

10. fogerty

fogerty New Member

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/25369.asp?q=Passages:-Fran-Crippen,-26

Fran was an amazing young man that was an inspiration to so many. We were fortunate enough to have had him train with and coach for my son's team out in Mission Viejo, CA and his loss is being felt deeply by all. He was a motivator for those he trained with, a mentor to those up and coming, and always took the time out for all of the kids on deck...even if it was just to say "hey buddy". They looked up to him and are all better because of him. He spoke at the team's annual banquet this past spring, talking about not giving up on your dreams because things don't go your way at a point in time, and he touched us all. He will be deeply missed by so many...

11. AYS

Just want to say that Maddy, in the interview above, said (as of yesterday) they didn't have info on cause of death, so the rumor I mentioned above was just a rumor.

I think there were a lot of things that went wrong here, regarding the conduct of this event. :(

12. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I was so shocked to hear of the tragic passing of Fran Crippen.

My deepest condolences to those in the thread who knew him and have shared their memories of a young man who sounds like he has made a real impact w/the kids he worked w/in the sport. :( Please pass along our condolences to his Family.

13. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

I agree--that's just outrageous that the swimmers weren't monitored more closely. If that's not possible, then the event should simply be held in a pool, the swimmers doing umpteen laps.

14. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

ESPN has a really great article with quotes from other swimmers regarding the conditions present during this race. Gotta warn you though, I read most of it through tears. It's a really wonderful but frightening and sad article.

15. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

D's boyfriend plays on a college flag football team. Last week he had a head-to-head impact (no helmets, 'cause it is flag) and ended up on the ground, unable to get up because he was dizzy and out of it -- took three tries. The ref let him continue playing. :eek:

A week later and he's still failing a number of the items on the concussion test.

And this is after a huge amount of publicity about concussion issues in the past year -- and still, it didn't matter.

16. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I officiate field hockey and lacrosse, and we are told that if a player leaves for "concussion like" symptoms, they aren't allowed back in the game w/o a doctor's note.

However, the 'standard of proof' is so low, a coach could scribble something illegible on a piece of paper and say, "oh, it's from Dr. So and So," and we'd have to let the kid back in. So the rule is really stupid.

We don't have the authority to sit a kid if we are concerned for their safety. The most I can do is strongly suggest the trainer come on the field if there's been a collision that results in a stoppage of play. If the trainer comes on, the kid has to go off, even if only for a little bit. Most kids don't want to leave, so it's critical to get a trainer or coach to see them close up so that common sense can prevail.

I'm guessing with college intermural sports, there's not a lot of regulation. There's a doctor here in Wisconsin, Dr. Michael McCrea, who actually wrote a book on mild traumatic brain injury, which includes sports injuries and something called "second impact syndrome." That might be helpful for your daughter's boyfriend, or her, since he's probably having trouble reading and remembering.

Back to the open water race, to draw a parallel between those officials' and referees in football, it would be as though a player was down on the field and they just kept the game going around him. I'm sure it's hard to tell if a swimmer goes missing when there are so many, but they need to find a way to count the athletes periodically.

17. fogerty

fogerty New Member