US Lady with big jumps

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by icellist, Dec 4, 2010.

1. icellist

icellist Member

I just finished watching a lot of the upcoming junior ladies in the US and saw that their jumps werent all that big

so if we also add the seniors who has big jumps?

NOTICE: and so we dont have any really useless posting can we NOT talk about Rachael Flatt and Christina Gao (ehem: pinky)

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

What's your definition of "big"? Height, distance and/or a combination of both? What about consistency in competition? For example, Agnes Zawadzki probably has the best quality 3Lutz among the current US ladies when it comes to height and distance covered, but she didn't seem to have as good a consistency on this jump in her two Grand Prix events as she usually does.

P.S. You can't really tell people how or what to post/not post on FSU. ;)

3. icellist

icellist Member

How about any of the qualities you stated
    height, distance, both, and not close to UR

hmm i forgot about zawadzki and tom's other students
    o i just remember, nagasu has the best 2axel in my opinion compared to most of the international skaters

maybe if i say it twice they might see it
    NOT Rachael Flatt and Christina Gao (ehem pinky)

4. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Agnes Zawadzki is the only one I can think of.

5. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

What U.S. juniors did you watch? For example, I think Courtney Hicks (SWP and Pacific Coast Jr. champion) has some gorgeous, big jumps.

And like Sylvia mentioned, Zawadzki is probably the most naturally gifted jumper in the U.S., but her FS consistency just hasn't been there this season. The height, "hang time" and flow she gets on her jumps (notably the 3Lz) is world-class.

Like it or not, Gao probably has the best 3F of all current U.S. ladies, and Flatt's looks much, much improved this season as well. :p

6. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Bring back Tonya Harding.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  7. just wondering

just wondering Member

Seconding Chipso1. Hicks is an impressive jumper & has been all the way up the levels. Having Nicks as a coach, now, will enhance her presence & finish so that she can transition effectively to the next nation and international levels.

8. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Right? I mean, she was horrible artistically, but those jumps :swoon:

I like Hicks a lot. Pacific Sections was a stacked junior field and she came out on top. I was disappointed that Wang and Keiser didn't qualify for nationals because I was hoping to see them.

9. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Tonya Harding.

10. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

You act like this skater would somehow be competitive today, and somebody would want to watch her . . . At the time of the this clip, none of the "right" people thought so . . .

1987 NHK Tonya Harding SP

:rolleyes: Its not like this program is a clinic on the IJS or anything . . . Oh, wait :COP:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
    Maximillian and (deleted member) like this.
  11. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Well, I was never one of the right people.

I liked watching Tonya back then in 1987/1988.

However, back then, figures were required.

Loved that final spin :)

12. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

If she only had a full set of jumps... Amanda Dobbs has an amazing triple toe and triple salchow. The toe in particular covers a huge amount of distance, it's reminiscent of Nicole Bobek's triple toe.

13. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Zawadzki for sure. Gao has big toe pick jumps but the rest aren't that big. Amanda Dobbs has a huge 3t, can't say much about the rest of her triples because they don't seem that consistent yet. Ashley's jumps are pretty big but the 2footing often disguises it. Felicia Zhang has a killer 3lz when she lands it.

14. miki88

miki88 New Member

Tonya Harding had a certain charisma, not in the conventional sense, but I always enjoyed watching her more than Kerrigan. She was capable of artistic growth but too bad her head wasn't in the right place in later years.

15. bardtoob

Tonya never got a pair of "magic skates" from Carlo Fassi, like Trenary, so she had to wait until Trenary was not competitive anymore.

16. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Katerina Kulgeyko has big jumps. Her 3lz-3t is awesome :respec:

17. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

icellist, if you want big jumps, consider watching the Men's competition. ;)

I'm not being catty, just realistic. There aren't too many international girls who can do big jumps, either. But why do big jumps specifically concern you? I'm more interesting in seeing well-rounded consistency... :D

18. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Too bad, none of our skaters are that either this season. :D I guess, Rachel but she is still not winning.

19. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Was Tonya actually hurt by the removal of figures? She was certainly better than Yamaguchi, Kerrigan or Ito at them. Though I guess Trenary might have continued her career had figures continued to be included.

And figures and the habit of having to do figures might have helped her focus on skating and not be so distracted by other things going on.

20. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I think that Rachael would have won SA had she been without injury.

21. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I always thought the only reason Trenary retired was she was forced to by injury. I dont think she was as uncompetitive without figures as some think. The first event she was in without figures was the Goodwill Games which with Ito missing was hyped as an a 3-way all American battle for gold between Trenary, Kerrigan, and Yamaguchi. She easily beat Kerrigan and very narrowly missed beating Yamaguchi by .1 despite a subpar peformance with several mistakes. If she had stayed healthy I think she would have remained on the U.S World and Olympic teams and a threat to medal at all major events, though probably not winning gold again.

22. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

IIRC, she came back in 1991 (Skate Canada ?) and realized that it would be too difficult against Tonya, Nancy and Kristi without a 3Lutz, nor a 3Loop. Didn't she finish in 4th at 1991 Skate Canada ?

23. DORISPULASKI

Probably. And although she got a lot of mileage out of credit for her 3F, as often as not, she either fell on it, or deliberately did a 3T instead.

24. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Yes, behind Bonaly, Kielmann, and Preston.

25. bardtoob

^That must have bit, having been World Champion in the spring, then finishing behind Bonaly in fall.

26. DORISPULASKI

Heck with Bonaly. Behind Kielmann and Preston?? Oh the Shame :blah::blah:

27. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Bring back Harding and Bobek! :mitchell:

28. bardtoob

I watched some Agnes Zawadzki, and I have to say that she is very impressive and right on time to compete with Rachel and Mirai . . . YES!!!

29. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

What is the "magic skates" story? I've never heard it, but I wasn't following closely then.

30. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

IIRC, Trenary was 1st in the SP, then fell on just about everything in the long and dropped to fourth.