US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Unfortunately she isn't going to accomplish that with a repeat of CC...

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Let's hurry up and get to 1,000 posts in this thread! ;)

I think the next U.S. Ladies news/updates/articles thread should be in GSD and not in the Trash Can, based on this moderator's recent post:

3. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I think a realistic outcome for Wagner is probably ~5th. She could be lower top 10 if she messes up, or if she performs the way she did at 4CC/Natls, podium finish (including gold) is not out of the question.

4. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Perhaps the trash can was someone's commentary on where a thread about US Ladies skaters belongs...until they get 3 spots back.

(I'm KIDDING PEOPLE!)

:)

5. Sylvia

Ashley Wagner pre-Worlds article: http://www.teamusa.org/news/2012/03/14/ashley-wagners-rocky-road-to-the-top/47184
    Re. developing stamina for her long program:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  6. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Excellent. That really is the one thing Wagner needs the most. To pace herself through the program. The music itself is wonderful and so is the choreography and she CAN make it shine.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Well said.

8. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I got a chuckle out of this one. :lol:

......... Then after a few seconds, it wasn't quite so funny. :(

9. RD

RD Well-Known Member

:eek: agksdslgsdkgsdalfdf!!!!!!!!!!!!

Precisely, how sad...With Korpi out now, that goal may have gotten a little bit easier, but still...

10. Sylvia

Since I'm the one who started this latest U.S. Ladies thread here in the Trash Can, I will say that it was NOT my intent to "trash" them in any way, shape or form (sorry to disappoint! ;)).

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Bingo. That's exactly what she needed. You go John Nicks. :respec: I love how he hasn't tried to remake her, just gotten her to channel all that energy and drive so it helps her instead of hindering her.

12. isamelia

isamelia Member

Mr. Nicks is a very wise man. We need a new book on skating imparting more of his and others' sage advice (Dick Button, Nobuo Sato, Frank Carroll, etc.). These men are national treasures. We need to mine these nuggets while they are still here to share with us. Young skaters could really benefit from what they have to say. We often see quotes tweeted on Twitter attributed to philosophers, pop culture icons, etc. We have our own skating icons that are extremely quotable.

13. valyrian

valyrian New Member

Does anyone know what Mirai is doing? Will she skate next season?

14. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ No one knows. She, nor her coach, has really talked to the press about her post-Nationals life. All we know was that Frank wanted Mirai to move closer to his rink by herself, but her mom said no.

15. Sylvia

16. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Very blonde.

17. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Too blonde. I think darker hair makes her features stand out a bit more.

18. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I wonder what he could do with Alyssa? :cold:

19. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Well, it's a different look for her. :shuffle:

20. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Let's speculate! Let's just imagine Alissa has switched to John Nicks. What would he make her do? Would he have force her to work on her jumps? Would he make her skate with more speed and attack? But most of all, how would he work with her on pacing? She's got a totally different approach from Ashley; unlike Ashley she never really speeds up too much. Would John make her speed up at certain points in her LP?

21. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I like Ashley's new hair. I think she should either be blonde or dark.. Not inbetween.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Ashley's complexion and eye color make it easy for her to carry off blonde or dark hair. It's a very good dye job.

23. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

She's been going this way for a while, so I'm glad she finally committed to blonde. It's a really nice look on her!

24. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I think Ashley answered the question about her Worlds' expectations very well. The main thing as she said is to skate her best. That's all skaters have control over. If she skates her best, she hopes (and apparently expects) to be rewarded -- kinda beside the point for her to talk about a specific placement, or even to think about anything other than staying in the moment and performing her programs to her best ability.

Love Ashley's new hair color -- definitely looks to be a great dye job by the hair colorist. Overall it is wonderful to see how Ashley has grown from the setbacks and disappointments -- how she decided to keep going for it and got help from a great coach (iconic and one of the best in the business). She has beautiful, detailed programs too. Her calm, her determination, and her confidence (which seem to come not only from her personality, but from her hard work and preparation) are great to see. I also love how Ashley has been so supportive of her skater friends, including Agnes Z and Adam Rippon.

25. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

She looks fantastic!

26. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Ashley's hair looks great!

But speaking of dye jobs, Agnes needs to go back to blonde. The dark blonde color she had at the beginning of the season was fine, but the dark reddish brown color she has now does NOT suit her at all! In off-ice pictures I notice it even more, it does not compliment her skin tone or eye color. And she's such a pretty girl, she looked great as a blonde. Please Agnes, go back to your natural color!

27. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I think Mirai living by herself might be a good idea honestly, maybe force her into becoming more independent and grown up. I mean she is turning 19 in a month, most kids her age are already living away from their parents at college. Sounds like her parents, mom particularly, are kind of strict, but, if Mirai wants to succeed, something's got to change. She has her licensce now, and if she moves a couple hours away she could still visit her family on the weekends. I know her family is not particularly wealthy so that could be playing a factor, but all that driving on her mom's part leads to huge gas expenses in addition to taking up time she could be spending working at the restaurant. Also they live in Arcadia, which is a very expensive suburb of LA, so they can't be that financially strapped. All the time Mirai spends in the car currently isn't good for her skating, fitness level, or her family's finances. I hope they figure out a better solution soon. I love Mirai but she needs to start stepping it up and soon if she doesn't want the youngins to leave her in the dust.

28. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Not necessarily...

Anyway, do we really KNOW that Carroll wanted Nagasu to move closer to his rink but mom said no? Sounds like that one started through "hearsay" on the forums but was never truly confirmed.

In any case, she has some tough choices to make regarding her future, and whatever the ultimate decision might be (even if it's retirement), I hope she is happy.

29. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

1. That's a really stereotypical view of Arcadia. I went to a school where the majority of the students there lived in small apartments in the area around the school or outside the area. Plenty of people live in spaces they can barely afford just to send their kids to school in this supposedly wealthy neighborhood.

2. I don't think it's fair to suggest that they "can't be that financially strapped" just because of the general neighborhood in which they live.

30. feraina

feraina Active Member

Frank Carroll said it in an interview, actually. He said something about her commuting situation isn't good, and she has some serious decisions to make, and that he offered to look for a place for her (a host family I think) near the rink, but that Mirai's mother said no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.