US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Dear US skating fan,

In regards to Jeremy and Alissa being team members for the United States and due to recent events at Challenge Cup in the Netherlands, we recommend that you NOT tune in to Worlds if you have or suffer from any serious health conditions. Side effects of watching Jeremy or Alissa compete for those with serious health conditions may be - Dizziness, Nausea, Vomiting, Uncontrolled Flatulence, Respiratory Stress, Premature Balding or Graying, or even Unconsciousness. Serious US fans may experience Heart Attack or Stroke. Don't watch Worlds especially if you are pregnant, as this may cause premature birth. We are sorry for any inconvenience!

Regards,

The USFSA

geod2 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. geod2

geod2 New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

-

3. icellist

icellist Member

i may be going on a limb here but i feel like the best substitutes are Caroline Zhang and Mirai Nagasu. Agnes looked promising last year but really only had 1 great skate this year at nationals SP. CZhang is as competitive as ever, but Mirai is the most complete skater with the PCS edge.

but this is only if Czisny decides to withdraw. but if Czisny withdraws before Worlds starts but too late to get a substitute to Nice. What place would Wagner need to make to get 3 spots back? <not trying to add pressure on to her though, just curious>

4. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

:rofl:
    I love how things have changed in a couple of months, when Caroline was assigned Skate America most people were like WTF? because most of us thought that she was undeserving of the spot, and would just end up getting last place, Alissa on the other hand was seen as the hero of the U.S ladies,she was on a road to greatness and wouldn't be stopped....now some people want to send Caroline to worlds instead of Alissa...I dont know whether to laugh or cry....:confused:

On that same note though, the only reason we even managed to get two spots last season was because Alissa had a top 5 finish. While at this point Caroline might be the better choice, and my choice personally, Alissa should get to keep one of the spots she earned, and like it's been said, a flawed Alissa is still a safer bet than Zawadzki.

5. icemusings

icemusings Member

A few people have mentioned Mirai Nagasu as being a good replacement for Czisny, but personally I feel that she has all the same consistency and mental problems. She's also never won an international senior event (except Nebelhorn Trophy).

It's also possible that the poor result for Alissa had a lot more to do with shaking the rust off a two month competitive hiatus and will let her give her peak performance at Worlds.

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I get your point but when Kwan was skating at Nationals in 2003 and was about 1 month away from her 5th World title, were we saying "wow, US skating is in the dumps, this old woman is STILL in the hunt!?" Again, I get your point, but any excuse to bring up Kwan and all that... :shuffle:

7. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

There's no one who's demonstrated they can be relied on to score well internationally, except maybe Zhang.

Unfortunately, there's no legal way to get Zhang on the team, so Czissny's our girl.

Go Alissa!

8. BigB08822

I don't know the current rules but was the US actually in danger of having only 1 lady? I thought you had to have some really truly awful placements to not get 2 spots. Flatt finished 12th, not like she failed to qualify for the free skate. I think Alissa could have probably finished quite a bit lower and still kept 2 spots.

9. BigB08822

Your basing this off of 4CC and completely ignoring what else she has done the past 2 seasons? I am so thrilled for Zhang but 1 competition is only 1 competition. I know it is 2 if you count Nationals but you specifically mentioned scoring on the international scene.

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Caroline Zhang's scores in international competition over the past three seasons:

2012 Four Continents 176.18
    2011 Ice Challenge 152.72
    2011 Skate America 140.70
    2010 Skate America 132.49
    2010 NHK Trophy 133.86
    2010 Four Continents 160.78
    2009 Skate Canada 132.46
    2009 Trophée Eric Bompard 153.15

:shuffle:

11. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I think the rule for a team of two is still that their combined placements have to be equal to or less than 28 to keep two spots.

12. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Because Zhang is the same skater she was 3 season's ago right? :p

Mind you, I don't think Zhang should be sent anywhere. Just saying.... :shuffle:

13. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

If you judge her on the basis of all three international competitions this season and all three international competitions three seasons ago, she's about eight points better this season than in 2009-10 -- still not enough to be relied on to score well internationally.

And we've previously heard how much Nagasu, Flatt, and Wagner had improved and how much more reliable they were (or are now) than just even a season or two before. Oh, and Flatt was once "Reliable Rachael."

Go figure.

14. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

People - I said MAYBE.

My point was, Alissa is the best chance we've got.

I do wonder if maybe she should switch to last year's LP. It might spark her to stronger performances.

I don't think there's any mystery to her bad outings. She's just not a good jumper. I think for her rotational speed, she needs more height.

I was pleased that she rotated her final 3loop. That took a lot of toughness.

15. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Alissa would have had to fail to make the LP for us to lose two spots. People just like to be alarmist.

16. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

CoP was the best thing to happen for Alissa... she is held up by her spins.. (which i think she should be...)

17. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

I think you're right, she should thank God for COP,

although I disagree that spins should hold a skater up

18. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm not saying just spins should hold someone up, but it's nice to see someone getting credit for having pretty position and a pointed toe.

19. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Oh, it's more than just a pretty position and a pointed toe that earns the points.

Speed, centering, number of revolutions count just as much toward GOE as the prettiness . . . also difficult positions, edge changes, etc., to earn the higher levels.

Good for Alissa that she can do all of the above so well.

20. query5

query5 New Member

your forgot her 2007, 2008 scores which were better.

conveneint you only went to 2009 not her
    176. in gp final,
    175 in world team event.
    so i think you may be biased.

however do i think caroline/agnes, mirai, gracie should be sent to worlds --no-
    unless alissa pulls out she should go . no matter what and let chips fall where.
    however alissa should think what would happen next year if she bombs at worlds.

judges/callers have a tendency to score the gp events from the last years worlds event. high-low depending on how skate at gp events.
    next year in gp she has to worry about younger u.s. skaters, caroline zhang resurging-come back -not to mention all the younger skaters from, russia, china, japan who may-may not jump up.

21. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I'm assuming that this person only looked at what currently factors into World standings, and I don't disagree with that choice, because Caroline was a different skater in 2007-2008 than 2010-2011.

22. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

23. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Her head is in such a fantastic place, and I am so proud of her. She is blossoming into a true leader. I hope she kills it at Worlds! :cheer2:

24. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Lovely! I'm glad she didn't put any expectations on herself by mentioning a placement. I'm so excited to see how she will do in Nice.

25. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

Thanks for posting! I had listened to it when it first went up and was surprised no one else had posted it yet. She sounds like she is in a solid mental place. Hopefully she can control her nerves and skate really well.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Technically it belongs in the 2012 Worlds forum in Kiss and Cry (where it first was posted yesterday in the "Reports, blog articles, etc." thread), but I am assuming it's okay to post the link here in this general U.S. Ladies thread.

I posted this elsewhere in the forum but will repost here: Ashley Cain (2nd in Junior Ladies at 2012 Nationals) recently tweeted that she passed her Senior FS (singles) test. It will be interesting to see which/how many of the other junior ladies from Nationals, besides Gold and Cain, will move up to senior.

27. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Sounds like Wagner has realistic expectations- very telling that she shied away from making a definitive statement about Worlds. Wish someone pinned her down a little more though and asked if she was shooting for a particular placement at worlds (podium? win? top 10?)

28. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

Well, she wants to get 3 spots back for next year so I think she's aiming for top 5 at least.

29. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Only problem with that goal is she cannot do it alone. Even if she somehow wins, Czisny still has to stay upright for top 10 finish. And she has struggled all season. She seems to be down again on the roller-coaster.

30. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Well technically, if Ashley wins, then Czisny only needs to finish 12th.
    But I get that 2nd through 5th is more likely for Ashley.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.