US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I think the rule for a team of two is still that their combined placements have to be equal to or less than 28 to keep two spots.
  2. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Because Zhang is the same skater she was 3 season's ago right? :p

Mind you, I don't think Zhang should be sent anywhere. Just saying.... :shuffle:
  3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

If you judge her on the basis of all three international competitions this season and all three international competitions three seasons ago, she's about eight points better this season than in 2009-10 -- still not enough to be relied on to score well internationally.

And we've previously heard how much Nagasu, Flatt, and Wagner had improved and how much more reliable they were (or are now) than just even a season or two before. Oh, and Flatt was once "Reliable Rachael."

Go figure.
  4. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

People - I said MAYBE.

My point was, Alissa is the best chance we've got.

I do wonder if maybe she should switch to last year's LP. It might spark her to stronger performances.

I don't think there's any mystery to her bad outings. She's just not a good jumper. I think for her rotational speed, she needs more height.

I was pleased that she rotated her final 3loop. That took a lot of toughness.
  5. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Alissa would have had to fail to make the LP for us to lose two spots. People just like to be alarmist.
  6. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

CoP was the best thing to happen for Alissa... she is held up by her spins.. (which i think she should be...)
  7. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

I think you're right, she should thank God for COP,

although I disagree that spins should hold a skater up
  8. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm not saying just spins should hold someone up, but it's nice to see someone getting credit for having pretty position and a pointed toe.
  9. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Oh, it's more than just a pretty position and a pointed toe that earns the points.

Speed, centering, number of revolutions count just as much toward GOE as the prettiness . . . also difficult positions, edge changes, etc., to earn the higher levels.

Good for Alissa that she can do all of the above so well.
  10. query5

query5 New Member

your forgot her 2007, 2008 scores which were better.

conveneint you only went to 2009 not her
    176. in gp final,
    175 in world team event.
    so i think you may be biased.

however do i think caroline/agnes, mirai, gracie should be sent to worlds --no-
    unless alissa pulls out she should go . no matter what and let chips fall where.
    however alissa should think what would happen next year if she bombs at worlds.

judges/callers have a tendency to score the gp events from the last years worlds event. high-low depending on how skate at gp events.
    next year in gp she has to worry about younger u.s. skaters, caroline zhang resurging-come back -not to mention all the younger skaters from, russia, china, japan who may-may not jump up.
  11. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I'm assuming that this person only looked at what currently factors into World standings, and I don't disagree with that choice, because Caroline was a different skater in 2007-2008 than 2010-2011.
  12. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

13. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Her head is in such a fantastic place, and I am so proud of her. She is blossoming into a true leader. I hope she kills it at Worlds! :cheer2:
  14. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Lovely! I'm glad she didn't put any expectations on herself by mentioning a placement. I'm so excited to see how she will do in Nice.
  15. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

Thanks for posting! I had listened to it when it first went up and was surprised no one else had posted it yet. She sounds like she is in a solid mental place. Hopefully she can control her nerves and skate really well.
  16. Sylvia

Technically it belongs in the 2012 Worlds forum in Kiss and Cry (where it first was posted yesterday in the "Reports, blog articles, etc." thread), but I am assuming it's okay to post the link here in this general U.S. Ladies thread.

I posted this elsewhere in the forum but will repost here: Ashley Cain (2nd in Junior Ladies at 2012 Nationals) recently tweeted that she passed her Senior FS (singles) test. It will be interesting to see which/how many of the other junior ladies from Nationals, besides Gold and Cain, will move up to senior.
  17. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Sounds like Wagner has realistic expectations- very telling that she shied away from making a definitive statement about Worlds. Wish someone pinned her down a little more though and asked if she was shooting for a particular placement at worlds (podium? win? top 10?)
  18. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

Well, she wants to get 3 spots back for next year so I think she's aiming for top 5 at least.
  19. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Only problem with that goal is she cannot do it alone. Even if she somehow wins, Czisny still has to stay upright for top 10 finish. And she has struggled all season. She seems to be down again on the roller-coaster.
  20. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Well technically, if Ashley wins, then Czisny only needs to finish 12th.
    But I get that 2nd through 5th is more likely for Ashley.
  21. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Unfortunately she isn't going to accomplish that with a repeat of CC...
  22. Sylvia

Let's hurry up and get to 1,000 posts in this thread! ;)

I think the next U.S. Ladies news/updates/articles thread should be in GSD and not in the Trash Can, based on this moderator's recent post:
  23. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I think a realistic outcome for Wagner is probably ~5th. She could be lower top 10 if she messes up, or if she performs the way she did at 4CC/Natls, podium finish (including gold) is not out of the question.
  24. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Perhaps the trash can was someone's commentary on where a thread about US Ladies skaters belongs...until they get 3 spots back.

(I'm KIDDING PEOPLE!)

:)
  25. Sylvia

Ashley Wagner pre-Worlds article: http://www.teamusa.org/news/2012/03/14/ashley-wagners-rocky-road-to-the-top/47184
    Re. developing stamina for her long program:
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  26. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Excellent. That really is the one thing Wagner needs the most. To pace herself through the program. The music itself is wonderful and so is the choreography and she CAN make it shine.
  27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Well said.
  28. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I got a chuckle out of this one. :lol:

......... Then after a few seconds, it wasn't quite so funny. :(
  29. RD

RD Well-Known Member

:eek: agksdslgsdkgsdalfdf!!!!!!!!!!!!

Precisely, how sad...With Korpi out now, that goal may have gotten a little bit easier, but still...
  30. Sylvia

Since I'm the one who started this latest U.S. Ladies thread here in the Trash Can, I will say that it was NOT my intent to "trash" them in any way, shape or form (sorry to disappoint! ;)).
  31. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Bingo. That's exactly what she needed. You go John Nicks. :respec: I love how he hasn't tried to remake her, just gotten her to channel all that energy and drive so it helps her instead of hindering her.
  32. isamelia

isamelia Member

Mr. Nicks is a very wise man. We need a new book on skating imparting more of his and others' sage advice (Dick Button, Nobuo Sato, Frank Carroll, etc.). These men are national treasures. We need to mine these nuggets while they are still here to share with us. Young skaters could really benefit from what they have to say. We often see quotes tweeted on Twitter attributed to philosophers, pop culture icons, etc. We have our own skating icons that are extremely quotable.
  33. valyrian

valyrian New Member

Does anyone know what Mirai is doing? Will she skate next season?
  34. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ No one knows. She, nor her coach, has really talked to the press about her post-Nationals life. All we know was that Frank wanted Mirai to move closer to his rink by herself, but her mom said no.
  35. Sylvia

36. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Very blonde.
  37. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Too blonde. I think darker hair makes her features stand out a bit more.
  38. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I wonder what he could do with Alyssa? :cold:
  39. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Well, it's a different look for her. :shuffle:
  40. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Let's speculate! Let's just imagine Alissa has switched to John Nicks. What would he make her do? Would he have force her to work on her jumps? Would he make her skate with more speed and attack? But most of all, how would he work with her on pacing? She's got a totally different approach from Ashley; unlike Ashley she never really speeds up too much. Would John make her speed up at certain points in her LP?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.