US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Starting this new thread now as our US Ladies general thread #2 is almost at 1000 posts.

Carrying over the 2012 Junior World team/potential ladies discussion from the previous thread...
    This was Zawadzki's 2nd year on the Senior Grand Prix. Four Continents would be a great opportunity for her if she places high enough at Nationals.

With no previous international experience, Keiser would have to skate really well and place ahead of most of the seniors listed above in order to have an opportunity to go to Belarus, IMO. She is an obvious candidate for a spring developmental international assignment if USFS sends a team this year.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. RD

RD Well-Known Member

She'd have to be 3rd, right? Because they seem to end up sending the A-team to 4CCs in recent years. Especially since it's in the US this year, I can't imagine the world team isn't being sent there as well (as well as a 3rd skater of course).

3. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Who going to Junior Olympics btw? We do have 2 spots for it right?

4. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

Good points. Here's why I left both of them on my short list.

Agreed that Zawadzki would be better sent to 4CC, but if Zawadzki finishes 4th again this year, and is shut out of World's and 4cc's, it wouldn't suprise me to see her sent again to Jr Worlds. Wagner was assigned in 2010 in a similar situation, right?

Agreed about Kaiser, she will have to skate an amazing set of programs, but wasn't the same also true for Zawadzki and Hicks the first time they were sent to worlds? IIRC, they had no International experience prior to that. So it's not an impossibility.

5. Sylvia

Jordan Bauth is the 1 US lady being sent - her assignment was previously and extensively discussed in this general Youth Olympics thread in GSD (starting with post #137): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78858&page=7

6. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

I think the difference between Zawadski/Hicks and Keiser is the former two competed and won in Jr level at Nationals, but Keiser is cometing in Sr level. For Kesier to stand out among senior ladies and impress USFSA, she has to skate REALLY well, IMO.

7. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

Right. Lots of arguments either way for whether Keiser should have skated junior this year. In seniors, it may be hard to make a mark. Of course, in Juniors she'd have Gold to contend with, among others.

8. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I really hope the junior skaters get to go to junior worlds. If you've been competing on the senior GP for two years, you shouldn't get the option to go junior worlds.
    I don't think Zawadski or Gao should be eligible and if they are, I hope the USFSA gives those spots to girls from the junior pool of skaters...they need the experience on the international level.

9. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Junior is an AGE group. It makes sense to me that anyone who is eligible can compete.

In terms of Keiser, I don't think that she will have to score a ton higher than other eligible ladies. She will just have to be at the top of the heap. I would guess that a top 10 finish would put her in the hunt depending on who opts for 4CCs. They don't typically take the entire year's record into account-- the skaters who perform and place well at Nationals get the assignments. My bet is for a 4CCs team of Zawadzki, Gao, and whoever of the top ladies doesn't get Worlds (Flatt, Czisny, Wagner, or Nagasu), and Junior Worlds will be Gold, Lam, and Keiser. I honestly think that Keiser has a good shot at a medal in San Jose-- it's a good year to start thinking about the next generation.

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I had a dream about Nationals last night. I hope I do not have any sort of pre-cognition. While the dream was good news for Alissa, it was bad news for Mirai (and I'm hoping this year is her year, with Alissa in 2nd).

Mirai changed her costume and gave interviews about her edgy new program. Then, on her final combo spin, she caught the edge of her dress under the blade in the foot change, and fell wacking her head. (I think she was okay though.) If she shows up at nationals in a flowing red dress, best advert your eyes. Or break into the locker room and cut the skirt shorter.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  11. Sylvia

12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I don't mind skaters going to Jr. Worlds who have been competing senior. I do, however, think that the winner of Juniors at Nationals should get an automatic spot on the World team. Didn't it recently occur that the winner didn't get assigned? I think that is wrong. However, the other spot or two should be open to the two best eligible athletes, just like any other assignment is done. If you stick to only naming those who skated in the Jr competition then you discourage skaters from skating on the senior level at Nationals and that is a big experience gainer for them. You have to also remember that those medalling in Juniors are often skating there for the first time while those competing senior have been there before and are just trying to move up in the skating world. They shouldn't be punished for not staying behind and for trying to improve and gain experience.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Alexe Gilles, 2008.

14. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I don't mind Jr World's going to skaters who compete as US seniors, but I think that if you skate on the Senior Grand Prix, if you are age-eligible for regular World's you shouldn't be allowed to go to Jr. World's.

I don't think the US designation of Jr vs Sr means anything in terms of the designation of Junior Worlds- the word junior means two different things.
    But senior grand prix vs. junior grand prix is the ISU designation of jr. And once you are an international senior, you shouldn't get to go back down, unless you are too young to go to senior worlds. (But I have never understood why the age restriction only applies to some events.)

15. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

When people say in this thread they want to see certain rules or guidelines about who gets sent to Junior Worlds based on what level the skater competes at Nationals or in fall competitions, are those wishes specific to the US ladies because that's the topic of this thread, or more generalized?

E.g., should the rules/guidelines be different for the boys than for the girls because boys are usually at a different point in their careers at ages 15-18?

Should rules/guidelines be different in other countries where there may be only one or two world-class ladies in that age group?

16. Sylvia

These are the ladies since 2000 who were assigned to Junior Worlds after they won the U.S junior ladies title and/or medaled:
    2011: Courtney Hicks
    2010: Agnes Zawadzki
    2007: Mirai Nagasu, Caroline Zhang, Ashley Wagner (Rachael Flatt was 5th in her Senior debut but had no JGP experience yet due to her Sept. 2006 JGP injury withdrawal)
    [2006: Megan Hyatt (jr champ) was named 1st alternate and ended up replacing Katy Taylor at JW]
    2004: Kimmie Meissner, Katy Taylor
    2002: Louann Donovan

ETA: Now that the maximum number of JGP singles slots depends on finishing among the top 3 countries at Junior Worlds, USFS' primary goal (still) is to select the strongest overall JW team in order to maximize their medal chances. Until/unless the ISU changes the eligibility rules for Junior Worlds, countries are unlikely to change their respective selection processes.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  17. Sylvia

LynnRutherford tweeted:

18. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

Seems like it would be very hectic to practice at 4 different rinks but maybe it works for her. Odd that she isn't focussing on a 3/3 but I suppose many are opting for the 2a-3t in the long program and she's capable of scoring high in the short with her current jump content.

19. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

Thank You for the new US Ladies thread Sylvia!!!! They get to 1000 posts quick.

20. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

It sounds like both Nagasu and Czisny are backing away from the 3/3. It probably isn't needed this season, but IMO it's the perfect time to get it out there and work the kinks out heading into Sochi. Shame. Here's hoping Wagner goes for it. :cheer:

21. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Probably just lowering expectations. You don't go to Artunian to work on presentation!

22. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

If Mirai shows up with the same attitude in the LP after focusing on the artistry then I will :slinkaway

23. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Exactly and I hope she knows that artistry isn't part of the component marks. What exactly is she working on? Better choreography? Smiling your way through 4 minutes isn't going to raise your score if you don't have the tangible things the judges are looking for. Artistry is over-rated under COP, that is for sure.

24. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry, this is just pre-Nationals chatter to take focus off of specific elements.

25. smarts1

Artunian? Is he fixing her jumps too? I thought Frank does that also... :shuffle:

Does anyone know when she's been working with him?

26. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Mirai skated too cautiously during her GP events. It seems like she's so worried about her jumps that she skates like a robot sometimes. She didn't perform her programs at all and even if they suck you have to pout some effort into performing them and she didn't. She just needs to loosen up and just skate and not be so mechanical and stiff.

27. smarts1

She just needs to stop giving that weird worried face she gives when she's scared and go out with confidence.

28. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update.

I'm having mixed feelings about this. Going to 4 rinks-that's not good imo. On the other hand maybe working with other coaches like Artunian as well as Carroll will help Mirai. It's funny that like Rachael she's focusing more on artistry than 3/3 jumps.

29. RD

RD Well-Known Member

...and we hear now that Czisny is not going for the 3-3 either. What about Wagner though?

30. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

IMO Czisny and Nagasu are better off focusing on quality and rotation of their solo triples (which is difficult enough).

Wagner, however, probably needs the 3/3 in the sp to be on par with Czisny and Nagasu due to her lower GOEs and PCS.

For the free, I think it's just going to be the two who make the least mistakes / under-rotations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.