US JGP Ladies Poll

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Aug 8, 2011.

?

Which 4 ladies should get next 2 JGP events?

1. Hannah Miller

29 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. Barbie Long

10 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Mckinzie Daniels

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Nina Jiang

28 vote(s)
    29.5%
  5. Polina Edmunds

7 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. Leah Keiser

72 vote(s)
    75.8%
  7. Gracie Gold

65 vote(s)
    68.4%
  8. Samantha Cesario

59 vote(s)
    62.1%
  9. Angela Wang

12 vote(s)
    12.6%
  10. Ashley Cain

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  11. Lauren Dinh

12 vote(s)
    12.6%
  12. Kiri Baga

22 vote(s)
    23.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Because everything USFS and ISU does is determined by FSU poll, its about time for this one. With Siraj, Lam, Hicks, and Kulgeyko assigned to the first 2 events, which 4 ladies should USFS give the next 4 slots to (likely the last 2 events where they'd have time to get assigned to a second event if they do well)....

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I chose Miller, Keiser, Gold, and Cesario.

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I totally agree with those choices.

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I want to see Cesario on the Senior Grand Prix!!!

5. Eris

Eris New Member

Of course Keiser and Gold. Also I wanna see there Jiang and Miller. Nina showed so much improvement this summer!
    And if a novice bronze medalist recieved a JGP, why should a novice champion stay at home?

6. query5

query5 New Member

it is hard for me to decide.
    4 i would put--leah, gracie, samatha, nina,, polina edmunds-, angela wang from what i saw on the videos .
    for me all the u.s. girls are improving and jumping higher-so it is a hard call.
    i don't envy the u.s. figure skating figuring out which girls should go into the junior grand prix.
    my first gut is leah, gracie,samatha, angela

7. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

What? If you mean Kulgeyko, she is the current junior bronze medalist. The novice bronze medalist is Mariah Bell and she hasn't gotten an assignment.

8. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Samantha, Gracie and Leah would be my sure choices. They all seem secure on jumps which include 3-3s, and their skating skills were quite impressive.

9. Eris

Eris New Member

Oops, sorry, I confused the seasons. Katarina was 3rd last year at a novice level, right?

10. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Yes. She was third on novice in 2010, behind Leah Keiser and Ashley Cain.

11. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I say Gold, Keiser, Jiang, and Edmunds. I know Dinh is probably garaunteed an assignment because of nationals but she hasn't been skating well this summer, which makes it a tough call. As for Kiri and Ashley, I'd like to see them compete in and do well at a summer competition before being assigned. Also isn't pairs Ashley's main focus?

12. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Gold, Keiser, Cesario, Miller.

13. MoreIce

MoreIce Member

I voted Gold, Keiser, Edmunds, and Long although I guess it would be strange for Long to get one before Miller.
    What is up with Mckinzie Daniels though? Was she injured after nationals? Her Glacier Falls skates were pretty much a disaster. I can't imagine her being sent to a jgp right now the way she is skating.

14. her grace

her grace Well-Known Member

Brace yourselves, because it's more likely to be Dinh, Cesario, Daniels, and Cain, based on the current list of alternates being sent to the ISU.

15. pinky166

I think she was injured, and Lauren Dinh too, who was equally disasterous at Liberty. But they are healed now, although their skating doesn't seem to suggest it. I tend to think they are both going to get assingments though...

16. her grace

her grace Well-Known Member

Shameless brag: The next four ladies assigned were Dinh and Cesario to JGP Poland, Daniels to JGP Romania and Cain replacing Kulgeyko at JGP Latvia.

Despite the talk of every member of the ISP having an equal shot, USFS is still giving its precious JGP slots out strictly based on nationals results. :blah: Hence, it looks like Edmunds and Miller are next in line before any of the summer wonders like Keiser, Gold, and Jiang. If USFS isn't going to give JGPs to these girls, the least they could do would be to send the ones who are old enough to a Senior B. Let them have some international experience!

17. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I agree it's a shame. I don't know who is in charge of making these selections. We cannot ignore the fact that Gold and Keiser are consistently above 50 in the short and above 100 in the free. To not assign them when they both have a great chance of making the final if they skated like they have all summer is a serious oversight

18. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

Seven ladies have so far been assigned (Siraj already assigned twice) and the ones who don't medal won't get another assignment, so there are potentially up to 6 slots still open. I would think that Lam, Hicks and Cesario seem pretty likely, but no one is a shoe-in. Even considering Edmunds, Miller and Wang, it's possible that Gold and Keiser could still be added to the sub list and given a later event. I would admit it's unlikely.

19. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

It sounds like people in the USFS don't want to have to do any actual thinking, explaining or work at all. They would prefer to just go by Nationals results so that when a situation such as this arises they can simply pull out a printed results list and their highlighter and see who is next in line. It is pathetic and sad and I feel bad for the skaters who have done everything and then some to prove themselves worthy but will have to wait an entire year now.

20. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

What might happen is they'll assign one (or both) of them to the last event. Vanessa Lam was assigned to the 7th and final event last year. She shocked every by winning it (beating Shoji, Shelepen, and Li no less), and she didn't have a chance to skate again so no final for her. Hopefully she will make it this year.

Lauren Dinh skated very well at Nationals. She skated terribly at Liberty. Let's just hope the "Spokane" Lauren shows up in Poland.

McKinzie Daniels skated average at Nationals, and Glacier Falls was just an absolute nightmare. She's usually pretty consistent, so we'll see what happens in Romania.

Ashley Cain beat Daniels in the free skate at Nationals, and definitely has the most poise and grace of the three. She's a very high quality skater, I just hope the jumps come through. She is capable of a 3Lz. If she jumps well, I think she could shock everyone and grab a medal. Her PCS will be quite high, I think.

Still, none of the above three are as strong as Leah and Gracie right now.

21. MoreIce

MoreIce Member

What happened with Kulgeyko? She is one of my favorites :(! Could she still get a later assignment? Assuming everyone doesn't get second assignments

22. gotice

gotice Member

Um, I think you mean the "Greensboro" Lauren (she wasn't in Spokane)... and what about the less than solid skate for Daniels at Broadmoor before Glacier Falls? It just hasn't been her summer at all.

Don't understand, but it seems they are going down the Senior and Junior national placements for assignments (with the ladies at least). Agnes was added to the alternate list a couple seasons ago, however she did not get an assignment the year she had such tremdous scores for summer comps.

23. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Yes, I meant "Greensboro!"

They did make a slight exception for Cesario. She wasn't at Nationals due to injury, but she still qualified.

24. phule1970

phule1970 Member

I still think you have to give some credit for performing well at Nationals. Not saying that present skating at the big 3 or 4 events shouldn't count, but a good performance in the "big event" should count for something.

25. pinky166

I get assigning Lauren a JGP off the bat because she was 2nd and very impressive at nationals, but it gets sketchy after that. Ashley Cain was only 6th at nationals and has not competed at any summer competitions, and Mickinzie Daniels was 4th at nationals but has been skating terribly all summer. The not having qualified for nationals stuff gets tricky, but I think at least Jiang and Edmunds deserve assignments before Cain and Daniels because even though they didn't do as well at nationals, they both at least qualified for/competed there (and really the point spreads btwn 4th, 6th, 7th, and 9th places were not a lot at all) and have shown good results at summer competitions. After that, I'd say assign Gracie and Leah, unless Ashley were to participate in a summer competition and do reasonably well and McKinzie were to pass a monitoring session to deem her fit to compete on the JGP (isn't she injured anyways?). Then I'd assign the novice medalists last because they are younger and can always compete next season.

As for the exception for Cesario, this is her last season of JGP eligibility I believe (she turned 18 in August), so I get giving her a shot now, especially after skating so well at Liberty. And every year USFSA seems to be more generous about giving JGP assignments to those ladies who compete at senior nationals, even if they don't do so well there (examples being Cesario, Gong, and Musademba in previous seasons).

In juniors, they seem to more go down the list of results, and the medalists always get assignments even if lower placing ladies are more deserving come summer competition time (Lindsay Davis last season). But if you think to last season, Felicia Zhang, Angela Wang, and Vanessa Lam were all given JGP assignments after not so great showing at nationals because they had good summer competition results, which gives me hope for skaters like Nina and Polina. But as for Gracie and Leah, I think they are probably at the very bottom of the list for JGP, and if assigned it will likely be after skaters like Nina, Polina, Barbie, Hannah, and Mariah, even though they totally deserve to go.

26. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Agree with this but Ashley did compete at Liberty.

38.96 in the SP (not good), 85.56 in the FS (decent), but only 79.18 in the final round (not very good).

27. pinky166

Oh ok. Yeah I think both Polina and Nina should be assigned before her given their summer results were better and that their placements/points at nationals were all pretty close. Nina also has JGP experience already and did pretty well there, especially in terms of PCS (intl judges clearly like her skating). I actually think they should both be assigned before McKinzie too but where she technically medaled at nationals that at least makes a little more sense. If Kiri gets an assignment before Nina, Polina, Gracie, or Leah too I'll be very frustrated... I know she has lots of good JGP results to her name, but the girl is constantly injured and had a poor FS showing at the one competition she competed in this summer...