US Ice Dance splits

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jojowest, Feb 22, 2012.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

I don't think I know who those two are. Are there any pics of them?

2. Iceymom

Iceymom Banned Member

Tyler Brooks skated Novice and Junior with Jessica Mancini. They did well in Novice, not so well in Junior. There were on TEAM USA. His new partner apparently is new to competitive ice dance. Difficult to jump into Junior. The transition from freestyle to dance is not an easy one to make. Many freestyle skaters are under the misimpression that ice dance is easy.

3. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

For Madeleine, she's not starting completely from scratch as some singles skaters do when they switch to dance. She's steadily worked on her pattern dance tests (standard track) along side her freestyle and MIF tests, starting in 2004 and as of January passed her Pre-Gold dance test. I think I saw she has Senior MIF passed within the past few years as well.

So for testing she only has to focus on her free dance tests this summer. Her presentation, musicality, and projection has been among the strongest in her level in Eastern Great Lakes in the past few years (at least, I remember her for that), so she may be a very capable ice dancer. Hopefully she gets at least 2 seasons in with this partner to really develop.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  4. jojowest

jojowest New Member

I remember the same of her presentation and musicality. She is a very strong and consistent competitor. I beleive she qualifed for Jr. Nationals three or four times. Has always had amazing footwork and skating skills. I know she was also a very accomplished competitive ballet dancer. She was coached by Seth Chafetz for years. She has gorgeous lines and is stunning on the ice. I'm not surprised at all she wasn't on icepartner search very long. I wonder if she will continue her singles skating?? Has anyone confirmed if Tyler and Madeleine are in Detroit

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I have since learned that Madeleine Rutledge/Tyler Brooks are training in Colorado Springs.

6. Iceymom

Iceymom Banned Member

There is a huge difference between testing with a coach and testing and competing with a partner. Freestyle and ice dance are two different sports and the transition is not easy to make. I wish them good luck but whoever said it will take two seasons to develop is correct in that statement. You can not translate testing to skating with a partner.

7. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

8. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Yes, but WHAT is going on with them? Injured? Split? Retired? I'm puzzled. Selfishly, I want to see them skate this season and was looking forward to seeing their continued improvement.

9. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

If they were injured they wouldn't have been removed from the International Selection Pool, methinks. I think this is a split. :(

10. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

NOOO!!! Not again!

11. Penniless Rostrum

Penniless Rostrum Looking for my siggy!!!

Samuelson & Gilles performed at Skate for Hope I believe it is called, so are they still skating, or was this just a prior commitment? I hope they continue but with their names off the ISPool it doesn't seem likely.

12. Sylvia

The following was posted in the 2012 Skate for Hope thread in GSD (I've copied my response below):
    :( That's the assumption that was made in the US Ice Dance splits thread when it was noticed their names had been removed from the U.S. team envelope and ISP at the beginning of June. There's been no public statement by either Samuelson or Gilles so far, which is why people have been wondering. I think it's great they both honored their commitment to participate in Skate for Hope and wish them both well in whatever comes next for them.

ETA that I'm in the process of compiling a list of entries for the 2012 Lake Placid IDC and some of the new U.S. teams that are planning to compete are:

SENIOR
    Isabella Cannuscio/Michael Bramante
    Anastasia Olson/Keiffer Hubbell
    Lauri Bonacorsi/Ian Lorello
    Alissandra Aronow/Collin Brubaker
    Gabriela Morrell Zucker/Andrejs Sitiks (he's Latvian, believe they're competing in US)

JUNIOR
    Kaitlin Hayawek/Jean-Luc Baker
    Madeleine Rutledge/Tyler Brooks
    Julia Biechler/Damian Dodge
    Jessica Mancini/Brad Kleffman

NOVICE
    Katherine Gourianova/Alexander Petrov
    Lauren Leonesio/Quinn Chambers
    Ashlyn Gaughan Joseph Johnson Tori Patsis Cody Lithco (not sure who is skating with whom)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  13. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

Is there a reason that Emily and Todd haven't made an announcement about their split? I understand not saying anything before the Skate for Hope show, so maybe we will hear something soon.

Super sad about their partnership ending. I hope Emily is not retiring from skating (my own selfish desire is to see her skate at least until 2018 Olympics). If she were getting a new partner, which guys are available?

14. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Ugh, I wish Emily and Evan had just stayed together, he's doing worse with Madison! :(

15. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

I'm sure he would disagree.. Is he not dating and with Madison? Getting to share a bed with her is not doing worse at all.. ;p

16. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Wow, that's pretty inappropriate to say.

Last I knew he was dating Becky Bereswill.

17. blue_idealist

Doing worse, placement-wise haha.

18. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Last time I checked this is the trash can.. Enter at ur own risk..

19. Sylvia

20. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Madison is dating Devidas Stagniunas, the Lithuanian ice dancer. Talk about a very striking pair. :)

:fragile: Emily is madly talented; but finding a partner near her skill set is going to be nearly impossible this season. It's too bad he-Hubbell and Ian Lorello have already partnered up with new ladies.

21. missysays

missysays Active Member

That's too bad! I saw her at Nationals this past season and her joy, excitement and gratitude to be out on competitive ice again was palpable. Unfortunately, she and Todd just didn't have that little bit of "magic" that causes a great ice dance couple to come together and stay together. She has probably explored the partner options that are already out there for her- and seen that she doesn't really have that many choices.

She seems to have a very positive spirit though and is trying to see what's available for her. I thought that she did well when providing ice dance commentary for IceNetwork a couple of years ago when she was waiting for Evan to recover. Much smoother commentary delivery than Kimberly Navarro at this year's Nationals. I wonder if they would consider having her back! I think she'd do well in that area.

Good luck to her!

22. blancanieves

blancanieves Active Member

Any international prospects? Then again, don't know if she'd want to compete for a different country.

23. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

I adore Emily so much as a person and skater. I would love to take lessons from her. Hoping that she does find that perfect partner to compete with.

Would the USFSA release her to compete for another country if she chose that path? And who is available for her and worthy for her?

Could we get Ben Agosto out of retirement to skate with Emily?

24. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

:yikes: No. Not another brother and sister look again.

25. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Active Member

Her last international medal was 2009 Four Continents. The USFSA's policy at least used to be four years, and I really don't think they'd hold her past that. So yes, that's looking feasible.

26. blue_idealist

I can't think of anyone good enough from another country who is available. :( If Vanessa Crone had to look below her league, Emily'd probably have to as well. :( Too bad she (Emily) didn't get Keiffer Hubbell.. or did she try out with him at one point? I can't remember.

27. rhumba

rhumba New Member

What about Cowan? Is he looking for partner?

28. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

I think last season Emily tried out with Keifer, Paul P., Colin Brubaker and others less known according to the press release when she and Todd paired up. Has Tavis Mager found a new partner? I think J Cowan retired and is teaching ballroom dancing.

29. Sylvia

There was a photo of Jordan Cowan at the DSC show earlier this month and his caption said:
    "Retired ice dancer Jordan Cowan has moved behind the scenes. (He's also teaching ballroom dancing.)"
    Source link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3592608&postcount=38

30. Marta24

Marta24 Active Member

Kolbe/Caruso split few months ago. I read that Stefano Caruso was looking for a new partner. What are the chances for Emily Samuelson to compete for Germany or Italy?