US Ice Dance splits

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jojowest, Feb 22, 2012.

1. blancanieves

blancanieves Active Member

So, would Anastasia or Bella make good matches for Keiffer?

2. rhumba

rhumba New Member

I heard Keiffer is with Anastasia and perhaps, Cowan with Charlotte?? Maybe rumor?

3. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

I've heard the same things.

4. chachacha

chachacha Member

I had heard the same thing :(

5. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

So Vanessa with Ian Lorello to complete the circle?

6. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

:eek: Not so surprised about C/L but very, very surprised about O/C. What a fantastic Nationals they had, they were so promising.

7. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

Hmmm...there would only be 5 ins. height difference between Ian and Vanessa.. He's an inch shorter than Paul if Wikipedia is to be believed.

8. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

It's kinda funny that Bates ditched Samuelson to skate with Chock, and they finished lower at Nationals than he did when recently skating with Samuelson. I don't think they really have that much potential either, Chock and Bates. The top spots at US Nats will probably be taken by D/W, the Shibs, and the rapidly improving Hubbell/Donahue in the coming years. If D/W retire there's always Kriengkrairut and Giulietti-Schmitt too.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

From Isabella Cannuscio:
    Link: http://www.cannuscio-lorello.ice-dance.com/

10. rhumba

rhumba New Member

Maybe Bates go back skate with Samuelson (if Todd decides to retire), Lorello with Chock (more physically matched) :lol::lol:

11. DORISPULASKI

If I were Chock, no way would I swap Lorello for Bates. Lorello always seemed not all that strong a skater to me, although he is a really nice looking guy.

It is interesting that Bella does not say whether Ian is looking or not looking for a new partner-it sort of sounds like he wanted to switch coaches, and she wants to stay in DE?

But for all I know he wants to quit skating and follow Phish around the country, or become a ski bum or go to MIT :lol: It just says he wants a different direction.

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

That is my understanding, yes. I assume she didn't want to speak for him in her blog.

13. DORISPULASKI

Is he listed on ice partner search yet?

14. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Why is Isabella taking International Dance Tests? Isn't she already a senior and past all those?

15. CoralReef

CoralReef Member

Internationals aren't a requirement for US senior dancers, only through gold. US dancers who are still competing might not have time to pass those extra 10 internationals while they train.

16. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I liked Samuelson and Bates, so I was disappointed when they split. If Bates wants to go back to Emily, I doubt that she will dump her current partner to go back to Bates.

17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I loved them too. :(
    But look, like Bates feel good with Chock. So good luck to them. But i feel, like Hubbel-Donahue will improve in next season and thy were close to Shibs in SD (i mean overall points).

18. CoralReef

CoralReef Member

Watched US dance nationals and thought no one was going to be safe next year. Madison Chock & Evan Bates were almost beaten to the final group after short by Anastasia Canuscio & Colin Mcmanus and Anastasia Olson & Jordan Cowan. Both teams just up from junior had higher technical.

I worry a bit for Madison Hubbell & Zach Donahue. She was always consistent when skating with her brother, but he is a wildcard imo. I loved his partnership the first year with Piper Gilles. They were on fire, but something happened the next season and no spark was there. One season only with following partner too. I hope they can keep the momentum going and challenge top teams.

19. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

I must say then....so far,so good for Lynn Kriengkraiirut and Logan Giulietti-SchmittI. I'dd say we should keep an eye on those two though. LOL.

20. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

You have to factor in that Chock/Bates had only a few months to gel as a team while C/M and O/C had been together for years. Meanwhile Olson / Cowan have split....

21. CoralReef

CoralReef Member

I will admit I don't fully understand dance training but I would have thought Madison Chock & Evan Bates pcs would have been lower because of limited training time. I was surprised about tes, especially since he is an Olympic dancer and she did very well with previous partner. Didn't think you had to rebuild technical skills but guess everyone is different.

Still sad about Anastasia Olson & Jordan Cowan but last seasons splits brought some interesting new teams. Hoping to see partnership announcemnets now and no more splits or retirements.

22. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Part of Chock and Bates' problems I think were their boring programs. They seem to lack chemistry on ice too, compared to each with their former partner. Just MO.

23. china mom

china mom New Member

Lauri Bonascorsi is now IPS.....

Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  24. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:eek:

I didn't see that one coming...

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

26. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Is Charlotte Lichtman ever going to dump Copely to find a partner that is actually suited to her size-wise? Those two have been nearly the same height for years and the glaring mismatch is clearly hurting their scores now that they are senior. She shows real promise on her own, IMO, and could do quite well with a different (taller) partner.

27. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I was under the impression that they'd already broken up?

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

A split is not considered "official" until a team envelope team is removed from the current envelope list on the USFS site and/or their USFS/IN bio has been updated.

ETA: Just noticed that Tyler Brooks, age 17, listed himself on IPS as of 3/26. He competed on the JGP with Jessica Mancini, they were in the 2011-12 Team C envelope, and placed 9th in Junior at Nationals.

Summarizing the known official splits of teams from 2012 Nationals (* = currently listed on IPS):
    Anastasia Olson & Jordan Cowan S7 [Team C in 2011-12]
    Isabella Cannuscio & Ian Lorello S9 [Team C in 2011-12]
    Lauri Bonacorsi* & Travis Mager J2 [Team C in 2011-12]
    Jessica Mancini & Tyler Brooks* J9 [Team C in 2011-12]
    Carina Glastris* & Kevin Allison S14
    Amanda Bertsch* & Sam Kaplun* J7
    Hannah Pfeifer* & Grant Lorello N7
    Madison George* & Brad Kleffman N9
    Lauren Leonesio & Dustin Perini* N11 (note: I mistyped his name on page 1 of this thread as Devin, his younger brother who is a pair skater)
    Karen Tong* & David Cruikshank N12

Team C envelope teams that split before the 2011-12 qualifying season deadline and/or Nationals:
    Shannon Wingle/Timothy McKernan (2nd in Sr at 2012 Midwestern Sectional)
    Joylyn Yang/Jean-Luc Baker (Jr)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Not a split, but Brynn Carman, the former pair skater, listed herself today on IPS for dance with her coaches being Shpilband/Zoueva. She is 17 and 5'7" according to her IPS profile.

Bianca Butler, 22, is also looking to switch to dance from pairs (she competed for 9+ years with Joseph Jacobsen) - she listed herself on IPS in mid-February.

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Rachel Tibbetts, 21 (8th in Senior Dance at 2011 Nationals, 9th at 2010 Skate Canada with Collin Brubaker) is listed on IPS as of 4/13. She took last season off.

Brubaker did not compete in U.S. qualifying competition in 2011-12 - don't know what his plans are.