US Getting a New National Anthem?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jenny12, Mar 8, 2013.

1. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Um, no thank you.

I realize our national anthem isn't easy to sing, but I love, love, love the power and glory behind our national anthem and absolutely do not want it changed. (I also realize the article is totally tongue-in-cheek, but still. I really love our national anthem.)

And I was my High School's national anthem girl for 3 years, and I miss it. There's nothing quite like singing it (correctly) for a crowd.

snowbird and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

I had quite a "wait, WHAT?" moment when I was watching The Dark Knight Rises with English subtitles, and realised that there was a line about bombs and stuff in the American anthem. :yikes: Then I thought "Well that explains a few things". :p

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  4. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I wish more people did sing it correctly. I always listen for the way "banner" is sung in the penultimate line and then know if the singer cared/knew enough to sing it right or not. I also don't like it when people try to "make a career" out of singing the National Anthem. I like mine straight and with pace. It's not a dirge.

I hope someone has told you the story of the writing of the National Anthem since then.

From Wikapedia -

5. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Glenn Close used to sing the Anthem at Mets games all the time. I wonder if there's a record for the most times performing it in public?

I love our Anthem. The words really reflect the turmoil and overwhelming joy of the little colony that could.

6. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

Growing up in NorCal, we never sang the anthem. I grew up singing the first verse of America the Beautiful every morning with the pledge. The anthem was only played at the ball games. I was surprised when in 5th grade and a move to another state that we had to stand for the anthem. Not sing - just stand. It seemed really weird to stand in silence while music came over the speakers.

I am visual so even as an adult passing a farm I think of amber waves of grain and mountains in the distance are purple mountains majesties.

7. duane

duane New Member

I HATE our Anthem. Even the most accomplished singers have difficulty hitting those notes. It's why most people don't even try singing it, while those who do overdo it ("...and the rockets REEEEEEEED GLAAAAAAAAAAARE (applause, applause), the bombs bursting INNNNNNNN AIRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (more applause, applause)...").

8. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

It always amuses me that the melody for my national anthem was taken from an old British drinking song. Just pick a popular tune and change the lyrics. No one will forget it!

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

We sing a patriotic song to "God Save the Queen" too. I know a lot of American kids who are shocked that the British national anthem is "My Country Tis of Thee"

10. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

I think he US anthem is hard to sing, and at skate America is usually sounds atrocious when some one less than capable sings it... I also notice most people don't sing along ( unlike the Danish anthem, which is both pretty and possible to sing decently even while drunk... ) .

Th text is nice, maybe it needs an updated melody?

I always loved This Land is My Land... And think of it as a alternate anthem :p

11. jenny12

If our National Anthem can't be Ignition ;), then I'd rather it be America the Beautiful. I've always thought the Star-Spangled Banner was too militaristic.

12. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I *hate* "America the Beautiful." What an insipid song. Even "Battle Hymn of the Republic" (which I loathe for other reasons and would flat-out refuse to sing, not that I'd sing America the Beautiful, either) would be better, or the equally hopelessly cheesy "God Bless America" (which they couldn't use anyway because the atheists would sue. Speaking of political correctness, is the lyric in "O Canada" still "True patriot love/in all thy sons command'?)

And for reasons that should be blindingly obvious, "My Country 'Tis of Thee" is RIGHT OUT. Though I can sing the "real" lyrics to that one. ;)

It's not like the majority of people can sing ANYTHING well. If you CAN sing, there is a key for you in with "The Star-Spangled Banner" shouldn't be hard.

13. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Is this for real? "Well over 100,000 people in America"?! In a country of what? An estimated 315,452,000 according to wikipedia. Even Wyoming, the least populated state has a population of over 560,000, so 100,000 Americans wouldn't even be a fifth of the least populated state. :D That's a very strong argument there. :p

On a more serious note, I find it kind of wrong to change a country's national anthem as I feel it is part of the country and how it defines itself. It's as if you change the national flag or the language spoken. JMO

14. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

They haven't even found 100,000 people who agree yet- the petition is under 10,000 still. It is just at 100,000 signatures that the white house guarantees a response.

It is clearly a joke petition.
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...hem-r-kellys-2003-hit-ignition-remix/Rm8SC7FP

So is this "Ignition" song a patriotic thing? I've never heard of it? And is R.Kelly no longer a disgrace?

15. jenny12

:lol: But I'm sure more people will be racing to sign the petition when they hear the brilliant lyric, "Bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce."

16. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Yup. There have been moves in the past to change it, and doubless will again, but not yet.

I always sing "In all of us command" though.

And of course "our home and native land" has some serious issues re: correctness too!

BTW, tho I might object to some of the imagery in the US national anthem, what I like about it most is its passion. And it's uniqueness. So many national anthems -- including O Canada -- are generic, bland, and unmemorable. That definitely cannot be said of "The Star-Spangled Banner!"

17. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Pete Seeger, who was a very good friend to Woody Guthrie, always says that he didn't think initially that that was one of Woody's better songs. "Shows you how wrong a fellow can be," he said in an interview with Bill Moyers for his 75th birthday. He's actually giving a concert in my area in 2 months. Turning 94 this year, and still getting out there to perform. :respec:

18. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I HATE when people like Christina Aguilera sing the national anthem. They make the song too much about "them" and hitting 10 different notes for the word "free" and screaming.

19. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I don't have a link but I read that the first night that Broadway reopened after going dark on 9/11 Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane and the cast of "The Producers" took their final bows then threw the house lights up and sang "God Bless America" with the audience. I don't think we need a new national anthem. It's just that I like singing GBA better.

20. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

We don't need a new national anthem. I just want the singers to stop butchering it to show off how great their singing is. I love our national anthem.

snowbird and (deleted member) like this.
  21. michiruwater

It's an octave and a half and you can do it in whatever key you like. An accomplished singer can handle that easily. The problem is when someone who thinks they can handle it but can't sings it, and for the most part I doubt that sort of person even realized that they just changed keys 5 times during the song and screeched out the high notes.

22. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

IMO a national anthem is sung for pride, and not to judge how good a singer you are. It is for an ordinary citizen, and I don't care if they can hit the notes or not. I sing it the way I can and I am not a singer by any stretch of the imagination. To me, what matters is the words of the anthem and the feeling behind it, not as a music/vocal competition.

I have no problem with accomplished singers (or even mediocre singers) singing it the way it is supposed to be, without making it sound like something other than what it is.

23. michiruwater

Just to clarify, I am talking only about someone singing it officially for an event. In a crowd, on your own, on the 4th of July, whatever, you sing it however you want, as loudly as you want, in whatever key or keys you want :) But if you're going to sing it officially, stay in one key, and I agree no vocal acrobatics. This made the rounds on Facebook a few weeks ago and I thought it was great :lol:

24. duane

duane New Member

Yes, but when the olympics were held in Australia, you could barely hear the national anthem music playing when an Australian won gold because the entire stadium sang along, and sang with abandon. I think this is how a national anthem should be. Now, I don't want a new one. My opinion is that we're stuck with the one we got. But IMO it's not a good one.

25. jenny12

26. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

27. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

WORD!
    That's awesome and SO true. How many more notes can you add, and how much can you drag it out so it's all about YOU and not about the US?

Years ago in WA state, there was a campaign to change the state song to "Louie Louie." I can't remember why but it was very nearly taken seriously :lol:

28. jenny12

:lol: He was just excited about a weekend of coke and rum.