US Figure Skating Hall Of Fame Nominees

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by missing, Nov 27, 2012.

1. missing

missing Well-Known Member

None in the Women's category.

I would think Lori Nichol would be a shoo-in.
  2. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I thought Lori was Canadian..???
  3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the nominating rules, etc., but obviously Lori Nichol's contributions as a choreographer for U.S., Canadian, and a multitude of international skaters are inestimable, and extend far beyond any barriers of nationality/ country of origin.
  4. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

I recall reading an article in which it was mentioned that Lori Nichol competed up to the Novice level in the U.S. and was coached by Don Laws.

From the press release:
  5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Then maybe Lori has dual citizenship.
  6. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I hope that Rudy makes it, this time.
  7. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think this must be the most BS Hall of Fame anywhere. Any skater who ever wins a world medal or national title seems to eventually get in, so it really should be called Hall of Pretty Good Skaters and a Lot of Folks Noone Outside USFS Circles Ever Heard Of. As I recall, half or more of the members are not skaters at all but USFS administrators and other off-ice employees. I've been watching skating since Peggy Fleming and have never heard of most of these folks (the exceptions being the 3 men skaters, Nichol and Claire Ferguson).
  8. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

Plus one and ditto about Rudy! I bet he makes it and he does deserve it.
  9. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I think what's BS is that some of the categories are blank. Could they not find any Ladies or Pairs to nominate?
  10. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Amen!
  11. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Pretty amazing that you never heard of Lori Nichol considering she was Ms. Kwan's choreographer. Sounds to me like you might not be the knowledgable judge you think you are of BS LOL!
  12. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

You need to read a little more carefully before you start insulting people. I said I had heard of Nichol, Ferguson and the three men. (See the part where it says "the exceptions being ...")
  13. lulu

lulu New Member

Not to get myself tangled up in a disucssion on the merits of the USFSHOF or its nominating process, but in her post, SusanM did mention that she knows who Lori Nichol is.
  14. Emmett

Emmett Member

Al Beard is the man who wrote the programs that allowed for US Figure Skating to go from manual calculations to computer results (starting in 1972). He was responsible for getting Honeywell to donate computer time so that the results could be presented live following each skater. Whel personal computers became available he was responsible for converting the programs so that every event could offer the same quick turn around of the results for the skaters. He has been involved with about every generation of system improvement including the current IJS systems. A skating father, who became a pioneer in development of the sport's accounting systems. He is well deserving of a place in the US HOF
  15. Sylvia

16. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am rooting for him.
  17. query5

query5 New Member

congrats to all nominees, none in women isn't except for kimmie who might be eligible. she is the only lady with a medal that is eligilbe in the last few years.
    sasha went to 2010-otherwise would have been
    other could have been tonia kwiatikowski, angela nikodinov.

or nicole or tonya harding, but personally i wouldn't nominate them.
  18. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Tom McGinnis is pretty much of a legnd in the New England skating scene. I'm only surprised that he isn't already in the US Hall of Fame.
  19. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks for the info on McGinnis, Beard and Benson. :)
  20. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

You are right. I apologize for that

I assume in most sports there are LOTS of behind the scenes folks that do a LOT to make things happen that you and I wouldn't know about. I would not assume "honoring" them is BS. It's just as "insulting" for you to assume that since you don't know them they don't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.
  21. laxfan

laxfan New Member

Emmett - thank you for posting the information about Al Beard. He is one of many accountants who work hard, often in a little back room of an arena where they can't even watch the skating. I know Al's story well - he is a skating dad who was amazed at how long it took to post the hand-calculated results from his daughter's ice dance event. Even though he was not a programmer, he went home and bought a USFSA rulebook and a book about computer programming and wrote a program that calculated the results. He gave that program to the USFSA and maintained it for decades. 40+ years later, he still works many hours per week programming and testing each year's version of the accounting software. He also served on the USFSA Board of Directors and as the USFSA Secretary. He just quietly and humbly works in the background to make sure that everything goes smoothly. And he does it really well. I truly hope he gets in the HOF this time.

Sylvia - I think that Al named the software "HAL" after the computer in 2001 Space Odyssey. :)
  22. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

So he has a sense of humor too. I hope he gets in too!
  23. once_upon

once_upon charming i'm sure

I agree. How someone is selected is interesting to know and to be informed about the potential HOF inductees is great. Thank you
  24. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Hard act to follow after last year's solo celebration for the Kween. That said, I would have wanted to make it the year Nationals returned to San Jose.
  25. Sylvia

26. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sylvia! I was just coming here to post the news. I should have known you'd be a step ahead. ;)

I'm so happy for Rudy that he made it into the HOF. It would have been great if he'd been inducted last year in his hometown, but I'm sure to him it probably doesn't matter. And even though I haven't always loved Lori Nichol's choreo, I agree that she's created many 'signature' programs in U.S. skating, and deserves to be in the HOF.
  27. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Meh. They should have given it to Rudi last year.

Really? Sure, I suppose it's nice to just be in, but given that it was practically a certainty that he would be inducted, don't you think it would have meant a whole lot more to him to have had that celebration in San Jose, where "the Rudy Galindo moment" happened?
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Sylvia

I agree. (And Al Beard wuzrobbed!)
  29. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Lori is Canadian so how can she be elected to the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame?
  30. Sylvia

Posted up thread:
  31. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

She's done a ton of work with US skaters. I think she deserves recognition from the US for that.
  32. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I'm sure Rudy Galindo would have loved to be inducted last year in his home town. That said, there's no way they were going to have Kwan share top-billing. She would've overshadowed anyone else who would have been inducted with her. In hindsight, I think the USFS did the right thing.
  33. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

As I said, it would have been a great moment (and I could have seen it in person - won't be in Omaha), but as has been pointed out, USFS probably wanted Kwan to be the sole inductee. I'm sure Rudy is thrilled to be in the HOF and will enjoy his moment even if it's not in San Jose.
  34. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Who cares what city Rudy Galindo gets in, at least he got in! Kwan deserved to have her own moment. She is one of the best not just in the U.S., but in the history of skating. She deserved the tribute of being the solo entrant. It would not show the proper respect to her contribution to be entered with anyone else. So does every entrant deserve to be entered only in their hometown, or where they won their nationals? That doesn't make sense.
  35. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Thrilled for Rudy. And very happy for Lori, too!
  36. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I don't think he would have liked sharing the spotlight with Kwan. It would have made his big moment more of an afterthought IMO.
  37. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Here's the issue I have with the whole "Hall of Fame" process. To me it seems that someone is either qualified / deserving of being inducted, or they're not. Between last year and this year, what changed about Galindo's qualifications? Nothing, zippo, zilch. So if he is deemed qualified this year, he should have been deemed qualified last year, too. But he wasn't, so that suggests that other factors are considered, such as timing, etc. And if that's the case then I think they should have given it to him and maybe not have nominated Kwan until this year. Especially considering that Galindo has been out of competition for far longer than Kwan has (1996 vs. 2006).

For any other skater the location of the induction would appear to be irrelevant, but for Rudy, the fact that he won his one and only title in San Jose, skating last to bring the house down, after so many trips to senior nationals and so many disappointments, is part of what made the "Rudy Galindo moment." And that's why I think Rudy should have been celebrated in San Jose.

Of course Kwan is more accomplished. But if there is more to the nominations and awards than just accomplishments, as there certainly appears to be, then I think the very special association of San Jose to Rudy's title should have been considered.
  38. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Rudy has been eligible for years for the HoF, and was never inducted ... so I don't think the USFS was in any rush to admit him. I think the response last year might have told the USFS that there are a lot of people who want Rudy in the HoF ... and without it, he still might not have gotten in.
  39. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Rudy and Lori, well deserved!!!!
  40. lulu

lulu New Member

Congrats to Rudi & Lori. :)