US East Coast Earthquake - Did anyone else feel it?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jenna, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

:eek: Just experienced my first earthquake here in NJ. Apparently the epicenter was in Virginia, but felt all the way up to Massachusetts!

Magnitude 5.8!

2. Castlerock

Castlerock Member

Felt it here in Toronto too. Freaky :yikes:

3. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

5.8 centered near Richmond, VA.

Got to be one of the larger east coast Earthquakes in awhile. Twitter is going nuts with all the reports.

4. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I've only ever felt one other quake here in the Phila area, many years ago. Freaky.

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Felt it here in Center City Philadelphia...I'm home today and I just stepped away from my computer when the building shook for about 10-15 seconds. At first I thought it was a big truck coming down the street, but when I ran downstairs, everyone was on the street talking about it, and I asked some pregnant lady and she confirmed it. Scary shit.

6. Fan123

Fan123 Active Member

Felt it too in Philly, lasted like 10 seconds. First thing I grabbed was my wallet and phone out of the house. Trying to call mom and dad, 15 mins away, but all lines are busy.

7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Can't even get through to my mom on my cellphone...
    Apparently, according to local news, it lasted up to 30 seconds in some spots.

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Didn't feel it! Then again, I'm used to my house shaking from the busses, plus today was recycling day, and neighbours have been getting stonework done - I think I've just shut it all out.

*ripped off*

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

My twitter is blowing up also over the news. Woah...

10. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

We felt it down here in North Carolina, too.

11. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Felt down here in NC. Hope all of the FSUers in the Richmond / DC area are OK. :yikes:

12. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Definitely felt it here in Forest Hills, NY. At least one knick-knack tumbled off my wall unit; I could really feel my apartment building shaking.

13. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

I definitely felt it here in NJ.
    Didn't understand who is shaking my chair first, but the next second the whole house began shaking and I understood it's an earthquake.

5.9 in Washington :eek:

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

And now we might have to deal with Irene this weekend too. :yikes:

15. quartz

quartz the moment is a masterpiece

I'm in SW Ontario about 2 hours west of Toronto - my son was in the basement and felt it - I am on the main floor and did not.

16. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

My mother's visiting and called out when she felt the earthquake. I was on the balcony, maybe that's why I didn't really feel it? Either that or I'm not too susceptible to motion.

Everyone seems freaked out from the news reports (especially near DC of course) but I don't think there was any real damage fortunately. Certainly nothing compared to Japan...

17. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Felt it here in the scenic Meadowlands. I thought I was passing out because I was so disoriented. And then I realized the building was moving. And then we all ran out into the parking lot and everybody else said the same thing - they thought they were feeling woozy and then realized we were moving.

Holy crap that was scary. My first earthquake.

18. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

I definitely felt it here in NY

19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Yep, felt it here in Maryland.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  20. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:eek: Glad you guys are okay!

21. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I'm in Manhattan and thought my couch was trembling under my butt. I didn't realize it was an earthquake until I saw all the Facebook activity.

Slightly nervous that the epicenter was in Richmond. My niece goes to college at the University of Richmond. She is probably okay but I'll probably call her to make sure!

22. Octoberopals

Octoberopals Well-Known Member

News just reported that 2 nuclear plants were being taken off-line.

Y'all stay safe.

23. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Any earthquake when one isn't used to them is bound to be super scary. Add to the fact that although 5.9 isn't huge in the grand scheme of things, it's big enough to cause concern about buildings that weren't built to withstand earthquakes.

24. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

FoxNews seems to only be interested in talking about how terrifying this must have been for those who were there for 9/11 I get it, but does it need to be mentioned over and over? I think they would prefer we know 9/11 is coming up rather than knowing the details of the earthquake. You can hear them just trying so hard to find a dramatic story.

25. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I felt it in Yonkers. I didn't realize it was an earthquake at the time, though. They are doing work on the exterior of our building and I thought they were drilling or some such.

26. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Actually, 9/11 was going through my mind a lot when I was being herded down the stairs with the rest of the people in my office building. I was quite relieved when someone said it was an earthquake.

27. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I felt it here in WNY, south of Buffalo.

28. Skaterx

Skaterx New Member

Felt it in DC. My whole house was shaking. Terrified me and the dogs. Originally thought it was a bomb. Crazy summer - new baby and now an earhquake.

29. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

I'm from the west coast and have been in earthquakes before, but nothing this strong. And apparently we may have a hurricane to look forward to this weekend as well? :drama:

30. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

Had to evacuate my building in Dupont Circle; everyone in the area just started hanging about in the streets (which I find rather unsafe to stand next to a shaking building, but whatever).

I heard the Washington Monument has gone all Tower of Pisa :shuffle: