US Adult Nationals bingo card?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by overedge, May 20, 2012.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I was reading the stories in the USFS Skating magazine about US Adult Nationals, and there was a reference in it to a "bingo card" that was circulating in the stands. Including items like "complete stop before an Axel", "body glitter", and "wrong music/no backup CD"

One of the adult skaters quoted in the article (I think it was the winner of championship gold men's) said he didn't do something in his program because he "didn't want to be a bingo element" :rofl:

Does anyone here have a copy of the bingo card that they could share? It sounds albsolutely hilarious.

2. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I saw them, but didn't have one. Not sure where they came from.

3. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

I may have a copy of it at the bottom of my yet-to-be-100%-unpacked Nationals skate bag, or the "tossies"/gifts bag. My copy is unmarked since I spent most of my Thursday gluing stones on a dress I needed to wear that evening... and wasn't able to make Friday's events... and forgot about it on Saturday.

It basically was a predictable assortment of every possible thing you could think of for a suggested drinking game/etc. ;)

If I can find it, I'll share mine... but as per the course for bingo my card would not have the majority of all possible bingo card items.

4. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Found my ANs 2012 bingo card.

Not sure who created them this year... but they're intended to be humorous.

On my card, the spaces are:

wrong music played
    forgetting to remove gloves
    sword, dagger, or other weapon
    feathers
    sleeping judge
    prop longer than skater's arm
    three people using the same music
    carrying a concealed prop
    pirates of carib. program
    vomiting
    meltdown
    falsies (any body part)
    Free!
    ponytail facelift
    furry hat or coat on coach
    untied/dragging laces
    complete stop before axel
    wrong pronunciation of a skater's name
    broken strap (on dress, pants, etc.)
    Phantom program
    fake eyelashes
    skin tone mismatch (min-2 tone difference)
    "competition camel"
    kissing or crying in K&C
    excessive rhinestoning

5. overedge

Aw, Rochelle, thanks! Those categories are :rofl:. Perhaps something similar will show up at Cdn Adult Nationals this year :EVILLE:

6. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

A little history on the bingo card...

The bingo card was started by a skater from San Francisco for AN 2011. She handed them out at the competition, and when you got "bingo" on your card (consecutive down, across, or diagonal checks), you turned it back in to her. She drew a winner from the completed cards at the competitors' party. That person won a free bottle of champagne.

Unfortunately, she wasn't able to attend AN this past year, but one of her club mates carried on the tradition in her absence.

So now you know the story!

7. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

What is a "competition camel"?

I lol'd at "forgetting to remove gloves". I thought I was the only one who did that.

Also lol'ing at "min 2-tone difference" in skin tone. Is that for tights, or makeup? That's a little harsh. Some of these are mean!

8. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

This needs to be a thing EVERYWHERE hahahaha

9. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Yes, what is a "competition camel"? Is it a skating element or a clothing malfunction?

10. Bev Johnston

"Competition camel" is when you go into your camel spin, everything looks great, and then bam... You just fall out of it for no apparent reason. Happens all the time in adult competition - nerves, lack of focus, etc. Very annoying to the skater!

Really, these aren't mean. It's all in good fun and we laugh at our inhuman flesh tones in our costumes and still more inhuman flesh tone in our tights. Good times.

11. leafygreens

Yeah that happens to me in practice lol.

12. sarahspins

sarahspins New Member

Me too. I also have something I call "first camel syndrome" where the first one is fantastic - faster, centered, lots of revs, then the rest are just horrible.

13. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

And if you think they are mean, pretty much it is just putting down in writing what everyone is probably saying anyway.

14. leafygreens

That's horrible. It makes me not want to go to Adult Nationals. It's already nerve racking to perform, and then looking out at the audience wondering if they are judging whether or not my tights are 2 shades different, and marking things down if I fall out of my camel. That is soooo mean. It takes a lot of guts for any one to get out there, probably more for an adult. I don't understand why anyone would make fun of them.

15. overedge

Everyone is making fun of themselves. If anyone is good at laughing at adult skaters, it's the skaters themselves.

And if you would actually look at the card before flying off the handle about it, there are a lot of entries that have nothing to do with the skater (e.g. sleeping judge, wrong CD).

16. purple skates

99.999999% of people at adult nationals are extremely supportive. There are those, of course, who are catty but they are out there in the real world too, and probably in higher numbers than at AN.

Personally, I think the bingo card is pretty stupid, but to each their own. I've never seen one - and I've been to AN multiple times.

ETA - Change that. I did see one in Chicago that someone else had (probably Rochelle's :lol:). If I read my own post further up I would have known that. :p

17. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

So you don't sit a competition yourself and think things yourself? Or sit with friends and make comments?

The truth is about our sport is comments get made all the time about competitors. Most of them are really supportive but you will get the "OMG I have heard this piece 100 times" or "You can always tell this is one of [insert coach's name] students because every student has that move".

The good thing about the adult skating community is most of them do not take themselves too seriously (but there are exceptions) and can laugh at themselves which is what that bingo card was doing. And most of them can joke about themselves.

On the other hand, why would you give a rats about what people think? Just go out there and do it for yourself.

18. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

^^^ I agreee! Skating is a bitchy/snarky sport, like most things that are mainly populated by woman and gay men.

I have an axel with a massive skid into it, I love that fact my old coach (from years ago) was a russian who wore a furry hat with pride and I have an excellent program to Phantom on Ice in the works. I would love it if people were entertained by all this.

Bring on the shots!

19. TangoGirl

TangoGirl New Member

The only time I ever fall on a flying camel is at Nats, now I have a name for my condition, WOOT! (not).

20. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Agreed on both fronts, sk8er1964. :)

The items on the bingo cards are basically a predictable assortment of every possible thing you could think of for a suggested drinking game/etc. in any skating competition... and I found very few things on the card to be negative towards the skaters. More "oh darn, that happens sometimes" type of stuff. Of course, whenever I'm in an event there are usually 3 chances for "wrong pronunciation of a skater's name" and they usually get it wrong at least once -- and that's A-OK with me. ;).

You might have seen my card, but probably not... since it sat at the bottom of my "tossies"/gift bag incase an over zealous bingo player was concerned I didn't have a copy and was missing out. ;) I never have time/interest in playing along. Too busy enjoying the skating it's self, socializing, facebooking updates for friends not in attendance, and still stoning my competition dresses to bother.

It's not something everyone in the audience takes part in... it's a very small minority... but it's just a way for some friends to past the time. :) When a large portion of us competing athletes are there 12+ hours, 4 days in a row... we all find our own ways to keep it engaging.

Check out this month's Skating magazine to learn about the "Beanie Babie Bazooka", for instance. :p

21. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I've been going to ANs since 1998, and there have been several things I've missed over the years. Just depends on who you hang with. I never knew about "Wendy Bears" for the longest time, but I'm not into tossies. Didn't know about the bingo cards until this year. Didnt know about the "cookie man" for a few years either. Bt I have a huge circle of friends and love to go every year. :)

And I always love my annual snack tossie from sk8r1964 :)

22. purple skates

:)

One year at Wyandotte I got the idea to toss airline bottles of schnapps, like some folks do at AN. Except that I didn't wrap them in bubble wrap and they shattered when they hit the ice. Oops - had no idea that plastic would do that. Thankfully I had them in plastic bags so they didn't spill on the ice.

At the first Chicago AN, someone threw the skater in front of me a bag of Jelly Bellies - the bag broke. Jelly beans everywhere. She and I and the sweepers were on our hands and knees searching for the darn things. It did take away my nerves, though! :lol:

23. Bev Johnston

Exactly. It honestly is all in fun, and no one is sitting there saying, "God, I hope she bombs her camel so I can have a chance to win a bottle of champagne." Everyone is supportive and wants everyone else to do well, but we all make fun of ourselves anyway. We know that after the competition we will be going back to our real lives that usually include jobs, kids, etc. No one is offering us a contract to tour with SOI. We know that Phantom and Pirates have been used millions of times. We know that it's hard to find illusion fabric that match actual skin tones. We know that we're not perfect. I think it's good that we can have a sense of humor about it.

24. Iluvid

Iluvid New Member

We did those at Sectionals this past year. We call ourselves "Bay Skaters" because we are from the SF bay area. I've done the competition camel before, i do know what it's like and we just laugh it off. It's not the end the world. I like the sleeping judge one. This past weekend I saw tons of skaters who's nude part in their dress did not match!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  25. TangoGirl

TangoGirl New Member

.and that's what makes adult competitions so interesting ( and fun too!),

26. TangoGirl

TangoGirl New Member

Well said Bev!

27. aliceanne

I was just watching an old tape of the early 80's World Pros. Some of the former champions had not skated a competition program on an Olympic sized rink in a few years (some had only been coaching) - there was more than one "competition camel".

My first skating program was to "Summertime". I read on one skating website that it is the most often used piece of skating music of all time.

28. Bev Johnston

Really? More than anything from "Carmen"?

BTW, I think "Summertime" is an excellent choice. I love it.

29. Bev Johnston

Thanks! :)

30. aliceanne

Summertime is/was probably used more often as a pro/exhibition number than Carmen, as it has vocals. I haven't done a survey myself, but most skaters seem to have skated to it at some time in their career. However, it is very lyrical and today's skaters have to rush around so much, it may no longer
    be used as much.