Urgent help needed: Bone marrow donor

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jayar, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

2. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

I can't tell but - only 2 of my grandparents are Hispanic (the other were Caucasian). Would that qualify for this purpose as being of Hispanic ethnicity?

3. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

So sorry, Jayar. I hope Camila gets a donor.

I was tested several years ago when there was a donor drive at work. It was a quick procedure--just a simple blood test--but what a difference it could make to somebody's life.

4. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I've been turned down by the donor program or I would be glad to try. I hope she gets a match.

5. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Jayar, sorry to hear about your friend. My prayers are with your friend in finding a match at marrow.org. I was a donor, but had to unregister due to health issues. As Moto Guzzi stated, it is just a simple blood test. It could definitely make a difference in saving someone's life.

6. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

It is a swab test now, or at least that is what her father is telling me. They have the kits all over town, so I think they might be right. Thanks everyone-- if you know of anybody, please forward the information to them!

7. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

You might work for this, yes.

8. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Jayar, you're right. I forgot about it being a swab test. Several of my co-workers had donated blood for a friend that had leukemia a few years back. We also did the swab test (the swabs are used inside the mouth against the gum line of the jaw).

9. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I got swab tested to get registered. If it was going to save someone's life, I would not hesitate for a second. Good luck to your friend Jayar!

10. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

I've been in the registry since 1998, so if I were a match for her, it would have come up by now. Only once has the NMDP ever notified me that I was a potential match (Being of Eastern European descent, I have a very common tissue typing), and that patient did not proceed to transplant.

I'd encourage everyone to register though - even if you have a common tissue typing, it's still possible that you could get "the call." (I work for a transplant center and there are so many variables that are used to find a match).

11. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

As many of you know, I'm a kidney transplant recipient (19 years on Dec 10th) and will do anything in my power to get the word out and/or to help someone else. I'm in Canada, but I just sent a mass e-mail to my US friends about your friend Jayar in the hopes they will go get tested and, in turn, a match found for her.

Will keep her in my prayers.

12. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I hope your friend finds a donor.

Reminds me I want to get registered but I don't think I can. I know I can't give blood.

13. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Jayar, I also posted a thread about your friend in the COT area of the Royalty MB I belong to. I hope it helps.

14. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Depends on the reason. I don't weigh enough to give blood (at least comfortably, you have to be at least 110 lbs and I'm juuuust over that) but for bone marrow, I don't think it matters. It's a different process.

15. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Thank you, everyone. I've been a bit overwhelmed at work, so I've not been able to get back to the thread until now. Camila is not doing well. They did all of the pre-transplant chemo, etc., which gave her a 4 week (?) window to find a donor. She is on week five, and is back in chemo, and it is not going well. She will have to have a donor in the next couple of weeks I am hearing, or they suspect that the cancer will come back with a rage. Very scary time right now. Good news is that the Mexican community in Mexico is getting very involved. Somehow some celebrities have picked up on the story, so her information has been sent out to more than 2 million people in the last week. We have heard that college campuses all over the country are having drives in her name (which is so fantastic for anyone looking for a vendor). Keep spreading the word. Maybe we can save more than just Camila?

16. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

I just read this thread and put the story on my FB and twitter. There's got to be someone out there!

17. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I just tried to register, but the website is acting up.

18. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I don't weigh enough to give blood but I did a bone marrow drive about 6 or 7 years ago and they said my weight was fine - it was at a local synagogue for a Jewish woman who had leukemia. They gave us those cheek/mouth swab kits. I did not match for her (she eventually was matched to a donor on the west coast, I think) but I did get a call a few years later that I might be a match for someone. I went (large hospital that manages the registry in our area) and they took a lot of blood, but I didn't match. Even if you get matched via the initial (cheek swab) testing, there is only a 20% chance you will actually be a good enough match for the person.

I hope your friend gets a match soon, Jayar!

19. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Not only is the test a swab test now, but for most cases, the procedure used to take the marrow is much less painful than the traditional procedure, and the recovery is shorter. The painful donation procedure was something that used to keep people from signing up.

I signed up 2 years ago, and haven't gotten a call- but just being on the list is a good thing. Maybe someday I'll get a call.

20. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

How is the new procedure different than the traditional? I read that it still pretty painful.

21. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

It depends on the transplant protocol the hospital uses. They can either take your marrow directly from your hip bone, and that is done under general anesthesia - so it's comparable to most minor surgeries. You'd be sore for a couple of days after. The other way is to "prime" your bone marrow to release stem cells into the blood stream (using drug -GCSF, is the one our center uses), and then removing blood directly from one arm - sending it through a machine to remove the stem cells, then putting the blood back into your other arm. It's similar to giving plasma, and it takes several hours. Biggest risk is getting leg cramps. Some transplant protocols prefer to use cells taken from the marrow, some from the arm (peripheral stem cells) - but there's not been shown to be a huge difference between the two sources for cancer patients (some other pediatric diseases, the doctors might prefer the cells come directly from donor marrow), and in most cases, if the donor really really prefers one way to donate over the other, they'll take it into account.