Ural region in Russia hit by meteor shower!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Buzz, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The aliens have landed! And the government is covering it up! Sorry.... Always wanted to say that. hehehe :D :D :D

Fascinating read but I wish I could see a video of the event. Apparent some people were hurt by broken glass but thankfully not seriously. Where is FarFarAway when you need him. LOL
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116

2. nlloyd

nlloyd Active Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  3. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

CNN Report/Article from Moscow Bureau (includes video of meteor)

According to reports in the media, "hundreds" of people were injured (CNN reporting 247 confirmed injuries; unconfirmed number of injuries being reported as high as 500). Most of the injuries were caused by the sonic boom from when the meteorite entered the atmosphere and exploded, shattering glass walls, windows, doors, etc.

4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

^^^ I too saw the story this morning about people in Russia being injured by the meteor streaking across the sky. That is scary if this turns out to be true. If the meteorite had impacted a city on earth directly, which one will one day, it would've been a disaster.

5. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I saw something on the news a few weeks ago about a large meteor that was due to pass by the Earth, but which astronomers were certain would not have any impact. One has to wonder if this was it, or a remnant travelling with that asteroid? :shuffle:

Having seen those photos of the meteor which flattened that area in Siberia, we know it could have been much worse. If it had impacted over water it would have probably created at least some type of tsunami event.

6. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

An asteroid (named "2012 DA14") will cruise by us today; there will be a distance of at least 17,100 miles between it and Earth and poses no threat. When the meteor hit in Russia, a lot of people were concerned that it was related to the asteroid, but those in the know have stated that the two are completely unrelated.

Still, it's kind of :wideeyes: :scream:. Over the years, I've seen just enough of that god-awful movie, Armageddon, on TV to make me uneasy whenever a meteor or asteroid pops up in the news.

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Crazy! The timing probably had people thinking that the asteroid hit earth. I would have panicked!

8. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

CNN is now reporting that the number of injured/seeking medical treatment has risen to 725 :eek: .

9. equatorial

equatorial New Member

Those are mostly with cuts/bruises. Very few have been hospitalized so far, thank God.

10. peibeck

Somehow I find that against the odds; that is why I speculated that today's impact could have been from a remnant of something travelling with the larger asteroid. Although I am certainly no astrophysicist, so I should probably not be voicing my doubts. :lol:

11. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Here's a compilation of footage, mostly from those dash cams that the Russians are so fond of.

The really scary thing about this meteorite is that there was no warning; no one knew it was coming before people on the ground could see it for themselves. To paraphrase Armageddon, it's a big damn sky. There are many people and institutions dedicated to watching it, but even a relatively small object can cause a lot of damage, as we saw today, and finding those are like finding a miniscule mite wandering through a football field covered in dust. Or so I imagine.

That said, I really hope there are no casualties, 'cos mostly I think things like this are pretty awesome. :shuffle: Anyone who gets a scar out of this has the ultimate bragging rights, in my book.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. duane

duane New Member

Sad that people got hurt, but what an amazing thing to see!

13. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

According to the reports I heard on NPR this morning, the meteorite that hit Russia had a completely different trajectory than what could be related to the asteroid. It seems that it was just an extremely unlikely coincidence.

14. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

The Russians are oh so lucky as that was the size of a house and could have killed a lot of folks. Amazing footage!

15. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

FarFarAway is down with the flu and terrible fever since last Friday :(

The news actually made me get out of bed and spend some nervous hours trying to contact my mother on my mobile, since she lives in Chelyabinsk and just about 5-6 km away from the epicenter of the most powerful explosion.

It turned out that the apartment we bought 13 years ago was the right choice - all the windows are facing opposite to the explosion side, so she just heard a very loud 'boom' and saw a bright light while she was doing some aerobics and that's it. She didn't even turn on the TV and heard about the meteor from me.

I have a lot of friends there, since I grew up and went to school and university in Chelyabinsk, all of them are okay luckily, but the damage is quite strong - shattered windows and interiors of the buildings and quite a lot of injured people due to this.

My dad was very lucky to fly away to Germany to work at a university in Dusseldorf area a week ago, since his apartment is in the very epicenter if another explosion. But it is almost in the park area, so I bet trees saved it.

ChelleC, beepbeep, Buzz and 7 others like this.
  16. FarFarAway

No, this is Russian Post with late delivery again. It was supposed to be delivered in late December 2012 :D

PS Can anyone tell me if anyone at CNN attended geography lessons at all? Chelyabinsk is nowhere near Southern Russia. Southern Russia is Sochi, which is 5 hours flight southwest from Chelyabinsk. Chelyabinsk is in South Urals.

17. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

^FarFarAway -- Glad that your family and friends are all OK. When you say "explosion" are you referring to an actual meteorite fragment hit -- or the sonic boom? I'm thinking you might mean an actual hit, because you talk about epicenters. It must have been very frightening for those who were nearest to that.

18. peibeck

:eek: Wow, that makes it even more freaky.

I guess because they consider Chelyabinsk near the Kazahkstan border it must be "southern." :shuffle:

Glad your family and school mates are fine though.

I can't believe the videos of those people driving and catching sight of the meteor not even slowing down!

19. FarFarAway

As I understood from what I have been told today - some meteor parts exploded above the ground and some hit the earth. So by epicenter I just mean the point either on the ground or above it where the explosion/hit happened. The one which was close to my mom's apartment was definitely a hit, since there was a fire and a damage was quite severe.

20. FarFarAway

Well, I believe they didn't think it was so dangerous as it turned out. No one was even warned, I wonder what were astronomers worldwide doing?

21. peibeck

I wouldn't have known if it was a meteor, a plane blowing up, a falling satellite, a missile or what coming out of the sky. But I still think I would have slowed down or stopped if possible.

I guess the astronomers didn't detect it because of the size. The other (detected) meteor passing by is much, much larger.

22. FarFarAway

Russians are a bit different from Americans :) Overcurious where we need to be overcautious :)

And what about that super hyper equipment astronomers have? National Geographic sometimes almost says it can catch a fly on the other end of the universe?

I am not surprised our Russian equipment didn't detect anything though, as sad as it is :(

23. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you and your family are safe :)

This, perhaps?

;)

ETA:

Video of meteor along with audio of sonic boom :eek: :wideeyes:

I had my earbuds on when I watched/listened to this -- holy fcukballs, was that loud :yikes:

Also, skary as hell :scream:. If I'd been there and witnessed this firsthand, someone would have to hook me up to a Valium drip to calm my nerves (and pry my fingernails out of the ceiling).

Damn.....

24. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Yes, but it still needs to be pointed in the right direction. ;) The universe is BIG! No matter how advanced equpment you have you can still only look at one place at the time, and you'd have to look at the same place twice to see if something has moved. I saw some documentary about the detection and tracking of NEOs - Near-Earth Objects - recently, I wish I could remember the title of it.

25. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

This is a real wake up call in terms of the hazards and dangers posed by meteoroid, asteroid, and comet strikes. According to this article, "the meteoroid was approximately 15 metres across when it entered the atmosphere" and is the largest object to hit the planet in over a century. The asteroid, Apophis, is 325 metres is diameter. On Friday 13th April 2029, it will come within just 19,400 miles of the Earth and may destroy some satellites in orbit. Moreover, estimates of how close it will come have been revised downwards and downwards over the last few years.....! Furthermore, should the asteroid pass through a gravitational keyhole during the 2029 approach in a certain way, there is a possibility that it could collide with the Earth on the 13th April 2036. Allegedly, recent observations have now ruled out that possibility, but predictions beyond 2029 remain very uncertain. If Apophis hits the Earth, it will have the power of 880 megatons (greater than the largest nuclear bomb ever created, and 3 times the energy released by the 1883 eruption of Krakatoa (which caused 5 years of climate change)). Whilst it would not wipe out the human race, it would devastate several thousand square miles (killing millions) and disrupt life for several decades! Its highly unlikely that it will hit, but not so remote that organisations such as the Russian Space Agency have been developing contingency plans to divert the asteroid. And then there are the asteroids and comets we don't know about, the objects approaching from behind the sun that are undetectable, the unknown long period comets, etc. Never say never!

26. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Any particular reason why both events would be predicted for the same date, 7 years apart?

27. FarFarAway

That was loud indeed. But I guess my mom didn't panick because she witnessed the 1977 Carpathian earthquake, which was quite devastating, so I guess she decided that if nothing shakes, falls and breaks, she should stay calm. But I think that this was mere luck that her district was not affected much, one of my friends, who is working on the other end of the city, thought the factory near the office exploded and though there were no damages to the office building - it just shook a little bit - all the staff were asked to go home for security reasons and when he went home he saw all the damage that was done by the explosion. His apartment luckily escaped the damage, just some paint fell down, that's it.

In some of the student hostels at the university campuses the whole windows were just blown inside the rooms, they were basically lying on the beds (what a luck students didn't sleep at 9-10am on Friday morning!) totally shattered.

So generally, the explosion zones seem to be very irregular and it was mere luck for many they didn't get hurt.

Yeah, I know, but still - something needs to be done to prevent casualties and destruction like this. I can't imagine what the consequences might be if meteor even like this falls in the middle of the day on Tokyo, New York, London or any other multimillion city. And it's pure luck it didn't fall in the middle of the motorways or in the City Centre where there are lots of high buildings.

Wiery and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

This article explains its orbital characteristics:-

The fact that it will take exactly 7 years to return between 2029 and 2036 - pure cosmic coincidence (just as today's events have been a pure cosmic coincidence with the Russia meteoroid and the near earth/near miss asteroid)!

Its also worth noting that there is a just 1 in 300 chance of asteroid 1950 DA hitting the Earth on the 16th March 2880. That asteroid is just over 1 kilometre in diameter and if that hits, it would cause catastrophic damage (leaving a 14 mile wide crater) that would come close to an extinction level event. However, we will all obviously be long gone by then, and the human race has plenty of time to do something about it.

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

30. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

So sad that there are so many injured and hurt:(

That's really cool!