"uplifting" theme for sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by zilam98, Feb 15, 2012.

1. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

the OG being all about dreams and inspiration, maybe the ISU should continue/reinstate this "uplifting" theme for the sochi games, especially for ice dance. that way, they can minimize OTT dramatic and voidy programs that they so wanted to avoid this season. who knows, the top teams might FINALLY do a disco program ;) maybe that will also level the field since the games are being held in russia--ground zero to everything dramatic and voidy.

2. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Artur Gachinski, Kavguti/Smirnov, Tuktemysheva, ANY Russian ice dancer doing disco? :yikes:

3. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

since when has Russia been "Ground Zero to everything dramatic and voidy"?

4. zilam98

since i think the 80s? ;)

5. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

That was 30 years ago. 'Nuff said.

Moka-Ananas and (deleted member) like this.
  6. sequins

sequins Active Member

You say continue or reinstate it, are they getting rid of it or thinking of it? Personally I hate the 'uplifting rule'.

7. zilam98

i said SINCE, not IN the 80s. that's a pretty long time to be known of something.

8. zilam98

no word if ISU is rethinking or anything. just my thoughts.

9. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

just to give one example: I thought Khokhlova/Novitski were quite voidy in 2007/2008

and there were so many other Russian skaters before them who were voidy :>

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  10. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Level the playing field ?, well al the host had host advantage why not Russia, who are hosting their first winter Olympics. If at all there is host advantage in FS, then Russia should get it as well. To say we need level playing field when events are held in Russia is actually a unfair as well.

Moka-Ananas and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

Ever since the NA press said so?

I don't think Russia is as dramatic and voidy as some think they are. The European skaters, particularly the French have been just as voidy and/or dramatic.

I hope the ISU does away with the uplifting rule as well. I can count on one hand and have a couple of fingers left over the number of FD's I really love and would watch over and over again post season. Most IMO aren't that memorable, just elements strung together. I really don't think being uplifting has done anything for icedance.

12. zilam98

who else has been consistently dramatic and voidy among its top teams across a long period of time? the french may be voidy, but not as consistently dramatic as the russians. even russia's skaters in other disciplines tend to be dramatic and voidy as well.

13. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

I say bring on the dramatic, theatrical and voidy! I dislike the goody goody uplifting music and "Feel good" routines. Here's hoping Sochi is not tempted to go this route. Carmina Burana forever! :rolleyes::rolleyes: