UPDATED Connecticut elementary school shooting - 20+ dead (incl gunman)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Dec 14, 2012.

1. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I am a complete mess over this. I cannot imagine how this school's community is reacting. And how will elementary schools across the country deal with this? I can only hope my two elementary schooler kids have not heard about this yet, because I just don't know what to say.

2. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

As per MSNBC, President Obama is expected to make a statement at 3:15pm EST. He has canceled the rest of his events for the day, to focus on this.

5. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

I wish the news anchors would stop saying how horrible it is right before the holidays. Why do people say that? I've heard that before in other cases. Losing a family member in such a senseless violent way wouldn't be any easier in the middle of the summer. Geez. Maybe they don't mean it that way but it's just bothering me.

Even the children who escaped with their lives... they are still going to have emotional issues. I hope Lanza is burning in hell. How could he do something like this? Even if he was allegedly angry with his parents those children had nothing to do with whatever family drama he felt he was having. I feel so horrible for those parents who aren't going to get to pick up their children and bring them home.

I'm still in shock.

*Jen* and (deleted member) like this.
  6. duane

duane New Member

Someone here at work said the guy killed his father at home, went to the school where his mother works as a kindergarten teacher, shot her and then fired on the classroom full of her students.

7. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

I apologize for posting that page, fake Ryan Lanza.

I am just so upset by this, I have a 5 year old little boyin pre-k at this moment, I can't even imagine.

8. lulu

lulu New Member

God. When I first heard of this tragedy, I immediately thought of the mass shooting in Scotland about a decade ago where that man shot that entire Kindergarten class...

9. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

Agree. To say it is more tragic because it happened just before the holidays diminishes the situation in some ways. Would it have been less tragic in May? October? February? If one of the dead wasn't from a family that celebrates the upcoming holidays is the death of that person less tragic? The situation is tragic and horrific no matter how you look at it no matter when it happened.

That being said the news anchors are often in a tough spot. Reporters and producers are gathering the news and feeding that information to the anchors. They have to say something and often times are left saying what is in their own mind and heart at that moment. They are sitting there with information being shoved in front of them, appearing on screens and even being shouted in their ears. All the while they have to communicate and sound coherent, logical, and believable.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Dunblane, Scotland (tennis player Andy MURRAY [corrected] was in the school that day).

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_massacre

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  11. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I can't even begin to imagine.
    My heart breaks for the teachers and staff at the school as well.

12. floskate

floskate Vacant

That would be Andy Murray. I cannot comprehend this tragedy at all. Those poor poor children, innocent staff and all their families and friends.........just no words :(

ETA: that link posted about the other Ryan Lanza is outrageous journalism.

13. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Andy Murray is the tennis player from Dunblane, Scotland who was in the school when the shooting happened.

To this day, Andy is pretty mum when asked about this. It's not something he talks about, EVER.

14. lulu

lulu New Member

I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for Andy and all of the other Dunblane students and how difficult it's going to be for the Newport children, teachers, staff and families.

I still remember that Newsweek cover after the Dunblane shooting with the class photo of the kindgergarten class & their teacher, who was also killed in the shooting.

Per MSNBC, Obama orders flags at half-staff

15. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

The President was so broken up...like the rest of us. ((crying))

16. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

The more news that becomes available the worse it gets. I'm watching my local NBC station here in CT and apparently Lanza's brother was apprehended outside the school. As the anchor said, it's tragic that it's beginning to appear that some sort of family drama got out of hand and claimed 27 innocent lives in the crossfire.

ArtisticFan, good points about the pressure the news anchors are under. A few times, I've heard their voices shake as if they are trying not to break down but they have to keep it together on the air. I think it's made all the worse by how many young children were taken away from their families.

17. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

an animal ! :mad:
    how could they hurt kids, well he must had something really bad with his dead mom because he shot most of her students too

and btw that poor fake Ryan Lanza facebook , that is obviously the wrong one, poor guy had to delete his facebook,

18. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Gets even more terrifying:
    http://on.wsj.com/VGJG1A

Apparently, teachers and administrators were well-trained for such a situation, and a lockdown alert was aired over the PA system; however, whoever went on the PA system may have gotten caught in the crossfire and also broadcast the screaming and gunshots throughout the entire school.

(((Condolences to all those affected))) :(

19. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Majority of the victims were kindergarteners. :(

Just watched the President making a statement. He was very emotional and I had tears too, but I am at work, so I can't cry much. My coworkers and I had a brief conversation about it during our lunch break.

20. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

No words. :fragile: Prayers for all those children, the families who had their loved ones murdered, the school, and the entire Sandy Hook community.

21. mkats

mkats New Member

Beyond awful. I don't know what to say :(

CNN has a running timeline of school violence, and scrolling through it I learned that Mitchell Johnson and Andrew Golden, the two boys who were responsible for the 1998 Arkansas shooting, have both been released and Golden tried to apply for a concealed weapons permit under a new name :eek: Thank goodness he was caught and denied.

22. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

President Obama's statement was very emotional. He had to stop several times and occasionally wiped his eyes. He looked devastated. It's shocking the mass shootings he sited: Connecticutt, Wisconsin, Oregon, Aurora: all in the last 6 months. I will write my Senators and Congressman to address this continuing problem in our country.

23. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Whoever the NBC News anchor is, he got choked up talking to some "expert" they were interviewing in the studio, and the President was also wiping away tears as he was speaking. How could you not?

24. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Now they're reporting it was not Ryan, but his brother Adam Lanza who is the shooter and the 2 weapons used were his mother's weapons.

25. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I have four grandchildren in elementary school, and two more in nursery school, today, OMG. Those poor kids and their parents.

26. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

It's horrible at any time of the year but I think they say that because Christmas is, even though not intentionally, the time for kids. In my home it was always more or less all about me. My mom was making Christmas presents with me, I had the advent calendar, we were baking cookies... Then Christmas Eve and the two holidays we have afterwards in Germany were all about family. You don't really have that sense of togetherness and family during the rest of the year and I don't think the focus is on the child as much as it is during the holidays during the rest of the year. Whether or not that's right or not is another matter.
    The family members who have died so far in my family were most missed during Christmas Eve/the two holidays because the lack of their presence is the most obvious then. They're not there for dinner, you don't have to get gifts (and I'm sure those parents who lost their kids and those who lost their loved ones already had gifts, so that's going to be hard, too), they're just not there when everyone else is physically present.

To me, Christmas is a very special time and instead of celebrating those families will most likely be mouring, or, if they have other children, have a very tuned down Christmas, I would guess.
    So, losing the child/family member isn't any harder but I still think it's different because the time is sort of a special time right now.

27. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

The thing that gets me is that he was such a sniveling piece of cowardly TRASH that he had to have a GUN to go after CHILDREN. When you go after someone with a knife, you have to get close to them, you could get hurt yourself. You can be stopped much more easily by others. And it's more likely you won't kill anyone. The knife attack in China was terrible, but no one died.

Any coward with a gun could go and kill someone. And that's what he was. A big childish coward. Violence does not make you powerful. Violence does not make you a man. It makes you the lowest piece of trash on this earth.

If anything, THAT needs to be the culture we teach our children. Games are one thing, thinking that violence will solve real-world problems are quite another.

28. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I agree with balletmaus. It's also likely some of their homes have already been decorated in a festive, happy manner and this time is anything but for them.

29. Silver Lining

Silver Lining New Member

It is worse at Christmas. My mother died unexpectedly just before Christmas when I was 13 and we had to open her presents on Christmas morning. We were finding gifts she had hidden but not yet wrapped for months afterward. These parents probably couldn't wait to see their children's eyes light up on Christmas morning when they saw what Santa brought them and watched them shake the presents under the tree. They will always be reminded of this at this time of year.

30. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

18 children, six adults, and the perpertrator all dead at the school, so 25 at scene, two children died at hospital, so 27 total, one dead (relative?) at another location in the same town, and one injured at hospital, so 28 grand total and one injured. No mention of NJ?

Sounds like he might have killed a family member (father?, brother?) at home, went to school where his mother was a teacher, killed her and the kids in her kindergarten class. Might not be Ryan Lanza, might be his brother Adam.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012