UPDATED Connecticut elementary school shooting - 20+ dead (incl gunman)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Dec 14, 2012.

1. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

This is just Heartbreaking. What the f... is going on? It seems like any nut can get a weapon in the US
    and kill. Something needs to be done. I feel just terrible and am in shock at the number fatalities especially the
    children.
  2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Aargh, sign of the times - it's hard to find updates that aren't videos or tweets (can't watch vids at work, loathe reading tweets)

Sorry for the misinformation, the shooter apparently was really 20. Jesus - that the same age as my niece, from whom I learned about the shooting (she grew up in CT).

Some info on Connecticut's gun laws:
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

4. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

This is a tragedy. My heart goes out the parents, the children, the community.........I can't begin to imagine what this feels like.
    Devastating.
  5. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Will almost 100% guarantee to you that he has no criminal history, no documented psych history, and all of the neighbors will say "oh, he seemed like such a nice guy". It effing sucks, and seriously, when these things almost always end up with the gunman dying of a self-inflicted wound, why not just teach crazy ass people to just kill themselves in private somewhere? Sorry, but this is just not a "sign of the times", or if it is, feck it, let's go back to the 1800s or some time when school kids of 5-6 years old were pretty damn safe to not be shot up in their classrooms.
  6. Angelskates

Angelskates Active Member

Guns aren't the only issue, but they are the main one. No one was seriously injured in the knife attack, and the attacker was caught abd will face trial, whereas many are dead from the shooting, and the attacker is also dead, so many questions will remain unanswered.

May the families affected be surrounded by loved ones, and the souls of those dead, RIP. Such senseless loss.
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

This is one of the worst shootings in terms of numbers of victims in history, so many children. Unspeakably tragic. As so many are saying, I just can't imagine.
  8. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Whereas the Portland mall shooting saddened, but didn't shock me because these sorts of senseless shootings are reported all too frequently, this large-scale deadly attack on small children in their classroom, does. It is simply horrific and I can't comprehend what those poor families are going through now, or any of the children who survived but witnessed their classmates being brutally murdered. :( :( :(

Guns make it a lot easier to kill a lot more people in a shorter amount of time. And for those who argue that a bomb would be just as easy and far more deadly, well making a bomb takes some forethought and planning, whereas if one has easy access to a gun, one can do something truly awful in a violent, unpremeditated rage. And as was reported above, none of those in the Chinese knife attack have died (as of last report).

I was not at all happy when my state just became the final 50th state to allow conceal/carry. I don't want to carry a gun in my purse or briefcase, and it certainly doesn't make me feel any safer at the thought that any number of fellow bus riders might be doing so, especially on a Friday night when they have been out TGIFing. :scream:
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  9. topaz

topaz New Member

This whole incident is simply DEMONIC. I heart goes out to the victims, especially the families of the deceased children. I know what they are going through and it's just NO WORDS to describe the sadness in their hearts.

All of these people will be included in my prayers.

The excuses regarding gun laws and the accessibility to guns in this country HAS TO STOP. The idea that so many people in this country think that gun violence won't effect you and your life due to where you live or work or shop; It's time to stop deluding ourselves.
  10. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

There are already idiots saying that if the teachers all had guns this wouldn't happen. Guns in a kindergarten class - it's beyond belief. The US needs to join the rest of the civilized world and put a responsible gun control program in place. My heart breaks for the children and families affected by this.
  11. duane

duane New Member

Young children who were all excited about the toys they'd be receiving in 10 days. So heartbreaking, and each time I look up, the number of those dead keeps increasing.
  12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I feel bad for all the surviving kids too - how do you get over something like this when you are so young?
  13. genevieve

14. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

A truly horrific tragedy
    Those poor parents :fragile:
  15. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

16. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Which just goes to show how we need consistent gun control laws across each state and the nation as a whole. As tough as Connecticut may or may not have been, the shooter was allegedly from New Jersey and could have gotten his guns from any of the surrounding areas.

What a tragedy.
  17. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

18. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Almost every single time this is the case. The shooter would most likely have passed any "testing" required to buy a gun. When the police do a forensic exam of his life, things will turn up, but none of them would during any routine examination. Will we require a forensic examination of every body's computers? We recently had a nursing student killed by her husband. No history of violence, no criminal record, but they were getting a divorce and he killed her. The kids who killed their classmates in Jonesboro, AR in the early 90s were 11 and got the guns from their grandparent's gun safes. I don't know the answers, but the first cries are stop selling guns. We need to look for the commonalities between mass killers and see what can be done. It's easy to use hindsight into the perpetrator of these events, but not so easy to predict who they will be before hand and intervene.
  19. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

topaz, I agree with your use of the word demonic. Ryan Lanza was an evil human being. Apparently he murdered his father in NJ earlier this morning then drove to CT and was allowed into the school where his mother worked. She was murdered as well.

I'm just horrified and disgusted. It actually made me cry. I just don't understand the kind of person who could gun down babies. I just can't understand. My heart breaks for all the families who have been destroyed today. It's unreal. Each time the news is updated it just gets worse.
  20. Angelskates

Angelskates Active Member

Is it true that it was the shooter's mum's class he fired on?
  21. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I am a complete mess over this. I cannot imagine how this school's community is reacting. And how will elementary schools across the country deal with this? I can only hope my two elementary schooler kids have not heard about this yet, because I just don't know what to say.
  22. burntBREAD

burntBREAD New Member

23. genevieve

24. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

As per MSNBC, President Obama is expected to make a statement at 3:15pm EST. He has canceled the rest of his events for the day, to focus on this.
  25. Carmen Ovsiannikov

I wish the news anchors would stop saying how horrible it is right before the holidays. Why do people say that? I've heard that before in other cases. Losing a family member in such a senseless violent way wouldn't be any easier in the middle of the summer. Geez. Maybe they don't mean it that way but it's just bothering me.

Even the children who escaped with their lives... they are still going to have emotional issues. I hope Lanza is burning in hell. How could he do something like this? Even if he was allegedly angry with his parents those children had nothing to do with whatever family drama he felt he was having. I feel so horrible for those parents who aren't going to get to pick up their children and bring them home.

I'm still in shock.
    *Jen* and (deleted member) like this.
  26. duane

duane New Member

Someone here at work said the guy killed his father at home, went to the school where his mother works as a kindergarten teacher, shot her and then fired on the classroom full of her students.
  27. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

I apologize for posting that page, fake Ryan Lanza.

I am just so upset by this, I have a 5 year old little boyin pre-k at this moment, I can't even imagine.
  28. lulu

lulu New Member

God. When I first heard of this tragedy, I immediately thought of the mass shooting in Scotland about a decade ago where that man shot that entire Kindergarten class...
  29. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

Agree. To say it is more tragic because it happened just before the holidays diminishes the situation in some ways. Would it have been less tragic in May? October? February? If one of the dead wasn't from a family that celebrates the upcoming holidays is the death of that person less tragic? The situation is tragic and horrific no matter how you look at it no matter when it happened.

That being said the news anchors are often in a tough spot. Reporters and producers are gathering the news and feeding that information to the anchors. They have to say something and often times are left saying what is in their own mind and heart at that moment. They are sitting there with information being shoved in front of them, appearing on screens and even being shouted in their ears. All the while they have to communicate and sound coherent, logical, and believable.
  30. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Dunblane, Scotland (tennis player Andy MURRAY [corrected] was in the school that day).

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_massacre
  31. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I can't even begin to imagine.
    My heart breaks for the teachers and staff at the school as well.
  32. floskate

floskate Vacant

That would be Andy Murray. I cannot comprehend this tragedy at all. Those poor poor children, innocent staff and all their families and friends.........just no words :(

ETA: that link posted about the other Ryan Lanza is outrageous journalism.
  33. topaz

topaz New Member

Andy Murray is the tennis player from Dunblane, Scotland who was in the school when the shooting happened.

To this day, Andy is pretty mum when asked about this. It's not something he talks about, EVER.
  34. lulu

lulu New Member

I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for Andy and all of the other Dunblane students and how difficult it's going to be for the Newport children, teachers, staff and families.

I still remember that Newsweek cover after the Dunblane shooting with the class photo of the kindgergarten class & their teacher, who was also killed in the shooting.

Per MSNBC, Obama orders flags at half-staff
  35. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

The President was so broken up...like the rest of us. ((crying))
  36. Carmen Ovsiannikov

The more news that becomes available the worse it gets. I'm watching my local NBC station here in CT and apparently Lanza's brother was apprehended outside the school. As the anchor said, it's tragic that it's beginning to appear that some sort of family drama got out of hand and claimed 27 innocent lives in the crossfire.

ArtisticFan, good points about the pressure the news anchors are under. A few times, I've heard their voices shake as if they are trying not to break down but they have to keep it together on the air. I think it's made all the worse by how many young children were taken away from their families.
  37. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

an animal ! :mad:
    how could they hurt kids, well he must had something really bad with his dead mom because he shot most of her students too

and btw that poor fake Ryan Lanza facebook , that is obviously the wrong one, poor guy had to delete his facebook,
  38. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Gets even more terrifying:
    http://on.wsj.com/VGJG1A

Apparently, teachers and administrators were well-trained for such a situation, and a lockdown alert was aired over the PA system; however, whoever went on the PA system may have gotten caught in the crossfire and also broadcast the screaming and gunshots throughout the entire school.

(((Condolences to all those affected))) :(
  39. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Majority of the victims were kindergarteners. :(

Just watched the President making a statement. He was very emotional and I had tears too, but I am at work, so I can't cry much. My coworkers and I had a brief conversation about it during our lunch break.
  40. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

No words. :fragile: Prayers for all those children, the families who had their loved ones murdered, the school, and the entire Sandy Hook community.