UPDATED Connecticut elementary school shooting - 20+ dead (incl gunman)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

It was EST so it would have been early your time. If you heard churchbells, that was it.

2. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Well, it's now officially Midnight here and Christmas Eve.

I just wanted to suggest that as we're all settling down to Christmas Eve or Christmas Day Supper w/your Family, depending on which day you have your big meal on, we take a moment to stop and either say a prayer for or think of the Families of all who lost loved ones a week ago. As hard as the Funerals were, the next two days are going to be just as, if not even more so, hard to cope w/and get through for them.

It's just a thought.

3. puglover

puglover Active Member

I just feel so terribly torn about this tragic shooting and the hard questions everyone is trying to answer after the fact. This struck very close to home for me and although I do not know the dynamics in the Lamza household and how his mother handled things - I feel like I am watching one similar, in least in some ways very close to home and I feel so powerless to do anything. My daughter is marrying a wonderful young man from a fine family. He has an older, successful, married brother, my future son-in-law is a great young man with a secure future - there is also a younger brother in the family - I will call him "Zach." Zach is 25 years old, does not do schooling, can not drive, does not work, and his only interest in life seems to be violent video games on the computer (according to my daughter), which he plays non stop all day. He does appear to have autism or Aspbergers or something and he is such a lost soul. Many members of the family have tried to get him help but his Mother shuts down every attempt. She feels he is her baby and she will hear none of anything. Consequently, his dad, brothers, and now sister-in-laws have given up and see it as a loosing battle with his mother which will only cause a rift with her if they try to mention Jason and his problems. His mom does listen to me a little - but Jason is off limites.. I can see how things things can get way out of control when he has to be so lost - no friends, nothing - just these violent video games - and this has been going on for at least 4 years.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  4. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

We trimmed the tree, with our kids , last night. When we said grace, we included the victims and families of Sandy Hook. Heart breaking for the survivors.

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

puglover, were I one of the members of the immediate family, I would have a "discussion" with the mother; letting her know that they are concerned, lest something similar happen with "Zach".

6. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I was wrapping and happened to catch an episode of "Katie," a new this fall daytime talk show by Katie Couric. She thought she was providing a service by interviewing parents of some of the kids who died. I had to turn off the tv. How was it for you, well, you idiot, how do you think it was? One of the husbands seemed very strong and was leading the way about how he had said a nice goodbye unknowingly at the bus, the kid had hugged him, I was sobbing in the privacy of my own home, and his poor wife could barely open her mouth to answer a question. I just felt as if Katie and her crew were so very much intruding in their space. I cannot imagine how they are handling any of this, and it will go on for much longer, the rest of their lives, probably, but hopefully now that all of the funerals are over, the cameras have left.

7. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Agreed, the cameras need to leave and let the families grieve and recover - although I doubt anyone can ever recover from losing a child. i just can't imagine what the families are going through, I can't even look at the pictures of the kids without bursting into tears.

8. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Anyone hear what happened out near Rochester NY? Some asshole (who did 17 years for killing his grandmother in 1980) deliberately set a house on fire, & then shot the First Responders, wounding two and killing two before killing himself. Seven homes were destroyed.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...g-to-blaze-near-rochester-n-y-shot-and-killed

What the feck is WRONG with people? You want to off yourself, fine & good riddance in the case of this guy and Adam Lanza, the world is a much better place without them and others like them. But WHY THE FECK must you take innocent people along with you??!!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  9. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I take it the parents had the choice as to whether or not they wanted to be interviewed, though?

10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It's how it's done that matters.

Some family members have taken great comfort in being able to talk about their loved ones.
    Sharing stories can help to "validate" the life of the victim; especially, a child.

Anderson Cooper did a very sensitive series of interviews with families who asked to share memories with/through him, to the larger community.
    These were beautifully done. Bravo, to him.

I lost my sister many years ago under tragic circumstances.
    Sharing memories of her was an important part of the healing process.
    I wish that I had been asked about Patricia, more often.

11. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I know that the Sandy Hook deaths are ones that touch our hearts, especially during a season that should be joyous, but I hope that we pause to think about the others who have been impacted by gun deaths since the Sandy Hook incident. Statistics are difficult to come by, but this website is trying to record that data

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._death_since_newtown_sandy_hook_shooting.html

We need to pray for those families, many of which will not receive any sympathy from the public/neighborhoods/communities because of the circumstances of those deaths.

12. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

And prayers not only to the Sandy Hook victims and their families but to the families of those firefighters killed and injured yesterday.

13. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

14. lulu

lulu New Member

Thank you so much for the link, what a wonderful (and very well deserved) gift for the Newtown police department.

15. AragornElessar

Good to see the Brother and Sisterhood of the Blue Line come together and help out the Newtown Force today of all days. It's a Police Thing, but it's a Human one too.

Thanks for sharing that w/us skipaway!!!

16. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

I grew up in a neighboring suburb of Rochester and was back up there visiting for Christmas. Needless to say the community was pretty devastated by this senseless tragedy. :( My sister knew one of the firefighters who was killed.

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I read that story and was horrified by it. Sadly, it's not getting as much coverage in our media as the recent tragedy in CT, which deserves the coverage, of course. Firefighters risk their lives everyday to save others, and they deserve better than this kind of death. The common denominator in all these senseless killings are the assault weapons in the hands of wrong people. The killer even left a note that he enjoys killing people. That is the definition of evil, IMO. In most senseless killings, the shooter takes his own life. He is a coward who does not want to stand trial and serve a sentence. I know that on another level, he will pay for his horrible actions, but the lost lives can never be recovered. It makes up sad and angry.

18. Vash01

Amen!

19. Vash01

20. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

21. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Yes, but at the same time, no one is forcing the families to speak to the media or go on talk shows. It's their choice.... they could say no.

22. AragornElessar

elka, I am so very sorry and please pass along both mine and my Parents Condolences to your Sister on the horrible loss of her Friend. :(

On another note...

I started a separate thread for this, but thought I'd mention it in here now since I'm in here...A couple of days after the attack in Sandy Hook, I visited CNN's Impact page to see if there was anything I could do for Newtown and/or Sandy Hook. I saw the appeal by the Conn. PTA for Paper Snowflakes to decorate the school they'll be moving to in order to turn it into a Magical Winter Wonderland for the kids for that First Day there.

Who doesn't know how to make a Paper Snowflake, right? So I got to work last week and while I don't have a proper count of them, Mom was looking at the pile of them and she thinks there's at least 100 of various sizes I've made and w/more to come.

If anyone's interested in taking part, do a search here at FSU for "Snowflakes for Sandy Hook" and that'll take you to the thread where all of the information is. Most importantly though...The deadline is January 13th!! Which may seem like a lot of time, but it really isn't.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention that in here for those who might be interested in taking part.

23. cruisin

24. AragornElessar

Just saw this on the Supper Hour cast crusin and they said the song is available for download at both Amazon and iTunes.

Anyone else see Anderson 360 last night? He was back in Newtown for the one month Anniversary and he spoke w/Catherine Hubbard's Parents. He asked them how Christmas was and her Mom said they celebrated the true meaning of Christmas really for the first time in earnest, which is Hope. As hard as it was, they weren't going to not have Christmas. She also said that she feels like Catherine is in the safest place and in the safest hands she could ask for, so she's at peace w/that much of losing their daughter in such a horrific manner.

They just showed so much Grace and Compassion and...I don't know, but some of the stories they told about Catherine had us smiling and they said they've decided to build an Animal Sanctuary in her memory as she loved animals so very much. What a perfect tribute to a little girl who loved animals.

They also showed just how much mail has come from all around the World. Not to mention Stuffed Animals and also money for the PTA or to help out w/Funeral coats or for so many other reasons. Gary Tuckman did that piece and he almost broke down while reading this letter done by a little one, in crayon, who had emptied her piggy bank to help out and there at the bottom of the page was six pennies taped to the paper. I can't blame him for that, as that got to me too.

I think Anderson's going to be back in Newtown tonight IIRC. He really has done a wonderful job of not just covering this story, but treating the people of the town and, most importantly, the Family Members he's talked to w/such Compassion and Heart. Then again, he does know what it's like to lose somebody in your Family suddenly and horribly due to his Brother's Suicide and knows when to back off because he's been there in his own way. Anyway...JMO of course.

25. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Sometimes I hate humanity :mad:
    Sandy Hook Hero Harrassed

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I am at a loss for words. That is disgusting.

27. cruisin

Clearly there are sick people in this world who hurt with words, not guns.

28. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Sick and stupid and pathetic, more like.

29. AragornElessar

I just heard about this tonight on Anderson 360 and disgusted and sickened doesn't even come close to how I feel.

30. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

There are always "truthers" in most news stories this big. It's so annoying and anti helpful no matter how stupid and sick they show themselves to be....