UPDATED Connecticut elementary school shooting - 20+ dead (incl gunman)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Newtown, CT Sandy Hook elementary school. Not much info. 3 hospitalized. Gunman dead. Don't know if self inflicted. Sandy Hook School released all children to local firehouse, parents are picking them up. Other schools in the area are still on lock down, there is possibly a second shooter, on the run. Though that is just rumor at this point. http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...cticut-school-is-dead-official-tells-nbc?lite

What is wrong with this world? :(
  3. cruisin

I just saw that Vash and I posted on this at the same time. If a moderator could combine these it would be good. Thanks.
  4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I beat you by 4 minutes.:lol:
  5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Yea gads Prayers and thoughts to the victims and their families.
  6. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Stunned. Seems like this is becoming a more common experience, unfortunately.
  7. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  8. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

Reports now saying that at least 20 children were shot. There are no words.
  9. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

If you're following the story, wtnh.com and courant.com should have the most up to date info.
  10. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

So far 18 children are dead. Unbelievable. :(
  11. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

This cannot be real. It simply can't. :(
  12. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

13. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

This is just an utter tragedy and completely mind baffling.

I just wonder how many more of these mass shootings have to happen before there can be a legitimate and frank discussion about gun control? 40% of guns are being sold online and WITHOUT background checks :eek: Too many of these unstable people are getting their hands on these weapons and carrying out these heinous atrocities. The problem is if one politician speaks out in favor of gun control, then the NRA is putting millions of dollars into defeating that person because they've got this warped perception of reality that the government is going to come and take their guns away. This has to end, there has to be someone with the courage to stand up and speak out about what is actual reality, that there needs to be some kind of controls in place to try and prevent these tragedies from happening.
    nubka and (deleted member) like this.
  14. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

This makes me think of the mall shooting thread. I am shocked and saddend. I'll never get used to this no matter how times it happens, and still I vainly hope that it will never happen again... :( :( :(

I can't stop thinking about those little children.
  15. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I just looked up cnn.com for more info and it's a lot worse than I had initially thought. Twenty are confirmed dead; 10 of them are children. This is an elementary school in a nice community, it seems. It's truly horrifying.

How many innocents have to lose their lives before there is a ban on carrying guns/assault weapons at public places? The only people that should be allowed to carry guns are -law enforcement, hunters, and soldiers. There is absolutely no need for ordinary people to carry guns in a civilized society. The NRA needs to be accountable for influencing politicians, and making it impossible to place a ban on guns. No other civilized country has this problem. It's time for congress to wake up and make the right decisions before more senseless killings. Sadly, the NRA is using events like this to make people buy more guns for self defense. When no one owns guns, you don't need to carry guns to defend yourself.

Oddly, after the Oregon mall shooting, I said to my brother: There could be copy cat attacks. I am going to stay away from malls. Later I thought- the copy cats are not always going to go to the malls to shoot people, and this morning I saw this news.:( :mad:
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

So so sad.

Prayers to all the families touched by this tragedy.
  17. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

WORD!!
  18. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

This is horrifying and heartbreaking. :(
    An elementary school... what is wrong with people?
  19. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Darn, if only those kindegarteners had been packing this could have been prevented. :mad:

Come on USA, it's been time to control our guns...make it happen!
  20. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Sickening. I can't imagine what makes someone want to shoot children. They are saying the gunman was a 20-year old guy. Report is that 27 are dead, 18 of them children, and at least 3 more sent to the hospital.
  21. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it seems as long as gun lobbyists have such great influence in Washington, nothing will happen. Yeah, people kill people, but guns sure as hell help.
  22. cruisin

Just heard on WINS News Radio, 27 dead , including the shooter. 18 are children. There are many ambulances and stretchers in the parking lot, don't know if they are for the deceased or if there are wounded. Initial reports were so hopeful. I guess they didn't know until they got inside. Still don't know who shot the gunman. It could have been self inflicted. But, there are reports of a second gunman and a van. They are speculating that the second gunman could have shot the first one. Also, some report about an argument between the gunman and the principal before the shootings.

When will our government do something about gun control? When will they get that handguns and automatic weapons are not for hunting or sport?
  23. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Sadly, the only way the NRA will change their tune is if a disgruntled gun nut attacks the NRA headquarters and they lose multiple people, even though everyone is packing.
  24. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I got off the computer just after it was first reported there was a shooting. I am in shock to come back and hear how many were killed, so many children.

I can't imagine how the parents, other children at the school, friends, family, community... I just can't imagine...
  25. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

They interviewed a little girl. She seems astonishingly calm for such a little girl, but these kids are going to have a very tough time dealing with this. :(

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/us/connecticut-school-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

So sad for the children that lost their lives and their parents! I can't imagine what they must be going through. In the past it seems the school shootings took place in high schools or colleges. Why an elementary school? How did this guy get 100 rounds to fire, and how did he get in undetected? So many unanswered questions. :(
  26. cruisin

BlueRidge, I think you speak for all of us - we just can't imagine. Those poor parents waiting at the firehouse. Not knowing, but knowing. It's devastating.
  27. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Guns aren't the only issue. Someone with a knife attacked 20 children in a Chinese school today. People who want to harm don't have to rely on guns. Perhaps the greater question is why there is an increase in attempts to inflict mass injuries on strangers seems to have increased in the last 20 years or so.
  28. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

this is horrifying. It is simple to blame the guns.....but there is lots of blame to go around.....violence on tv, lack of personal responsibility (I.e. every one is to blame but me), and a society that expects instant gratification.
    There have always been guns and there have always been crazy people.

I cant even imagine the horror for these people.
  29. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

That's the root cause of this problem, and yes, it needs to be solved. Still, guns kill a lot more people a lot quicker than a knife would.
  30. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

OMG it's terrible, it's terrible. Why?
  31. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

How many of them died?

I don't know if that's true or not. Maybe people are more aware of these attacks due to the media and the internet.
  32. cruisin

And why schools?
  33. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

What kind of a sicko goes after innocent, little children? There are no words - for the families who just lost their little ones, for the survivors who will be plagued by nightmares and insecurity, for the community to experience such an invasive assault. My heart breaks.
  34. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Latest I heard is that it was a 24-year old father of one of the students. Unknown if his child was one of those killed.

This is just unbelievably horrible :(
  35. lulu

lulu New Member

That's true to an extent, if someone wants to harm a large amount of people, they will find a way to do so. But, I also think that guns make it much easier to kill a larger amount of people in a shorter amount of time than say-a knife, and guns are easier to obtain and use than say-a bomb.

This story is absolutely heartbreaking and I'm still in shock.
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  36. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Sickening
  37. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

No deaths have been reported in the Chinese elementary school knife attack, fortunately: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...ac17e6-45be-11e2-8c8f-fbebf7ccab4e_story.html
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  38. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

I have a friend who lives in Sandy Hook; I didn't think her son was old enough to attend school so I wasn't completely freaked. Fortunately, their whole family is ok- turns out her son does attend that school but wasn't there at the time.

So very tragic... there are no words...
  39. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

To the first, I don't know the ticker just went across the bottom of CNN's screen. They aren't focusing any attention there for obvious reasons. As to the 2nd, certainly, the media jumps on these sorts of things quickly. Too quickly. I turned CNN off because of the salivating of the reporters covering the story trying to get children to tell them how awful it was, of course, I can't imagine why parents who have retrieved their children are still hanging around, but people always flock to crime scenes. However, mass or random killings, especially of children, typically made the news even if not at the instant pace of today, and I think there is a definite increase. Perhaps part of the increase is the fact more people with sociopathic tendencies like to copy cat or even one-up someone else and the media provides the base pattern for them. And if so, you could remove all guns from legitimate sales and they'd still find a way. It would take me about 5 minutes to find out how to build a bomb with materials I can buy at a feed or hardware store.
  40. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member