Update on Rachael Flatt

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maureenfarone, Jan 26, 2013.

1. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

I saw Rachael at Skate for Hope in June 2013 and thought she looked slightly taller and a little thinner. She did a nice number and I think I remember a 3loop and 2A (sorry no notes). I believe she has said a number of times that she loves skating so if she wants to compete it is up to her to make it work. She will have to be in shape, manage her time and deal with school.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this Iceman. :) I watched it late last night before going to bed, and I had tears in my eyes.

At first I honest to God thought it was Oksana Baiul, especially after the second single axel. She has her elegance, long limbs, and grace of a ballerina. Tall & svelte. Lol she even looks like her, not just somatype, but coloring as well, and dare I say charming on-ice personality (brings back so many memories of when Oksana was young & bubbly & vivacious).

Back to Rach, what a transformation this past year, from doe to gazelle to spright to fairy to ballerina, all wrapped into one. And still only 21 yrs. of age, My Gosh, she still has two more Olympics inside of her, if she wants it that is, she holds the brass ring...the world is her oyster...

I'll be behind her in what-ever she decides to do.

Until then, I'm off to enjoy this classic video for the fourth or fifth time, with many more viewings to come. Btw this music has always been one of my all-time favorites, from the very first note, Somewhere In Time. Now Rachael's version takes over Ashley Wagner's as my favorite. :)

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Follow-up: Flatt scored 87.37 in her FS (early August) and I heard she may have done mostly doubles. Her total score was 143.46.

It doesn't rule her out from attempting to qualify for Nationals through Regionals and Sectionals IF that's what she wants to do.

4. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

If I am not mistaken, I believe Flatt had just returned to the ice for that very event, after taking 5 months off to rehab the injury issues from last autumn. She does look taller/longer in line. Maybe she actually grew after taking some time off from jumping all those years. Perhaps her spine is less compressed as well (and less pressure on those nasty bulging discs)...and she just feels better. :) What ever she is doing, she looks happy!

5. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

LOL She still has two more Olympics inside of her?

6. Sylvia

7. NadineWhite

8. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I am so glad she is coming back. What a competitor!!!

9. Sylvia

10. Conga

Conga New Member

I am all for her coming back to competition and trying for an Olympic spot, but she doesn't mention training at all in this article. Does anyone know anything about that?

11. Sylvia

Flatt competed once this past August (refer to the posts above) but may not have decided yet about whether or not she will compete at Regionals (SW, I assume) in October. She most likely registered in order to give herself the option of competing.

ETA her self-choreographed programs for the season as listed in her bio on IN:

SP Music: "Adagio for Strings" by Samuel Barber
    FS Music: "Piano Concerto No. 2" by Sergei Rachmaninov

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  12. NadineWhite

13. jlai

jlai Title-less

Rachael should totally make up her mind about Southwestern regionals so I can decide whether to drive to Grapevine in october or not :drama:

(ETA: SW regionals' schedule for senior ladies and jr ladies goes from Sat to Tuesday! Talking about crazy) :scream:

14. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Ack so she is still representing Broadmoor for this season? That field at Mids is going to be really tough because it looks like Long and Bell will both be there, then there's Cain, Baga (unless she switched to SCOB?), Miller, Jiang, Morgan Bell, Carly Gold, and possibly Czisny as well. Poor ladies that is not going to be a fun competition.

15. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Isn't Long staying junior?

16. Sylvia

Long tested up to Senior late this summer. Baga represents SC of Boston now and will compete out of the New England region/Eastern section. I'll bump up the U.S. Ladies general news thread in GSD and consolidate all of this info at some point.

Back to Rachael... she tweeted this yesterday (9/18):
    "Goodbye sunny #SanDiego! Back to #dormlife. gonna miss Mom and Pop and snuggling w/ my pups, Fred and Ethel!"

17. weirfan06

weirfan06 New Member

She's scheduled to compete at a competition in Oakland this weekend. Does she go to Stanford or Berkeley these days??

18. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

I think she is still attending Stanford and is starting her junior year there.

19. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

All this news is very interesting, and due to social media and increased awareness of her, Rachel remains very public about her skating career.

I think that if she wants to be seen as a serious contender for the Olympics this season, she will have to show up and just stun every judge and coach there with her transformation.

She will need a newer look, all the jumps, and she will need SPEED SPEED SPEED SPEED. If she shows up skating cautiously or slow or without good stamina in her programs, she will not be seen as a serious competitor and her PCS will be very low.

20. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I honestly see Rachael just out there competing for herself, not gunning for a spot at the Olympics or even 4CC's. That said, she still is full steam ahead on the school front so I'm not 100% sure she will even show up for Regionals.

21. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Rachael is too competitive to be skating just for herself or just to be skating imho.

22. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

She may as well try. It's a long shot, but I wouldn't be too surprised if she grabbed the third spot either, depending on how things go. And like Conga said, I would have liked to hear a little more about her current skating. She appears to be very focused on school and her future career, which is awesome, but the article made it seem like competing for a spot on the Olympic team was just a side project for Rachael.

23. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked. But happy for her.

24. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I'd be shocked too. If she does make it, US ladies skating really is in the crapper.

25. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

One step at a time for her this season. I'll bet she is savoring every step of the way. Regionals first if I'm not mistaken, and hopefully those won't collide too harshly with her mid-term! Stanford's academic year starts quite late usually (as in only now, unlike the majority of college bachelor programs which start around Labor Day).

Good luck to her this season. Wishing her happiness and tremendous satisfaction with the experience of her journey this season, whether it ends on a podium or not.

26. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I'd bet the farm she wouldn't make any US team. But, I'm happy she wants to skate for herself. Any participation by RF only makes the whole process a little more interesting if only for the :argue:

27. Sylvia

So Rachael apparently has switched clubs to the Central Pacific region (St. Moritz ISC)/Pacific Coast section, which makes sense because CP regionals will be held in Vacaville, CA Oct. 12-15 (SW is in Grapevine, TX), which is much more convenient for her, location-wise, if she decides to compete.

28. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

That seems like a lot of foresight and planning for someone who is just doing this for fun :)

29. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I agree. With all the difficulties involved, I would doubt she is just doing this for fun. Rachael seems to give her all to whatever she does, and I believe she thinks too much of skating to do this half ass. And she has a very competitive spirit. I would be just as happy with her getting the third spot as any other skater.

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I wish Rachael the success and satisfaction she hopes for, whatever that may be.