Update on Rachael Flatt

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maureenfarone, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

New interview: http://athletego.com/2013/06/11/rachaelflatt/
    Excerpts:
    Flatt is scheduled to perform in 3 benefit shows that I know of:
    Skate for Hope on June 15 in Columbus, OH: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ot-benefit-show-June-15-2013-in-Columbus-Ohio
    Skate for Coach Darin Hosier on July 13 near Seattle, WA: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?88201-Skate-For-Coach-Darin-Hosier
    Evening on Ice on July 20 in El Segundo, CA: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...raiser-2-shows-on-July-20-in-El-Segundo-Calif

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  2. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update on Rachael. I appreciate how she is willing to skate in shows that raise money for cancer research and to benefit skaters. I've seen her twice at Skate for Hope in Columbus and have enjoyed her programs and interaction with all of the skaters - elite or not. Good for her, I hope she has found her calling!

3. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Super athlete, super smart and super nice - Rachael seems to be an all-around great person. I've always enjoyed her skating and I hope she does return.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  5. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Could you imagine if rachael was skating like she was when she won nationals. She could medal at olympics

6. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Her interview gives many hints that contradict any hope (if anyone has any) that she might come back. I would enjoy seeing her skate at Nationals. I am amused by her ability to stay oblivious to the harsh criticism of cutthroat skating, but I respect this as well. She does not fail or give up. She has a mental steadiness, and she has pushed in the direction of being competitive whatever her limits (artistic or otherwise). No one can take away that she never left any scene with her tail between her legs, and her sensible approach to competing should be studied by coaches.

I heard from someone last week that Stanford is not the best place for undergraduates and that you are treated like a number unless you are a grad student. Of course this was a Princeton alum who shared this opinion. He also attended Stanford for grad school, but I am certain there are other opinions. Rachael seems to be very excited with her situation, and it's interesting that she is continuing with dance.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  7. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I'm glad that she is giving back to the community this way & is staying involved in skating as she continues her college education. :)

8. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Yay for Rachael for being well-adjusted and sounding genuinely excited about the next phase in her life. It's great that she's able to come up with something else to do with her life after skating (because we can all name a few who couldn't easily adjust to the non-skating world).

9. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I'm curious. Who do we know who adjusted very poorly to the non-skating life?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Nicole Bobeck? (somehow being a meth dealer/user/whatever seems a poor path IMHO) Oksana Baiul? (who seems to have been reduced to suing her past promoters for money)

Those come to mind quickly

11. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Tony Wheeler's report was posted in the Skate for Hope thread:

Wheeeeee! :)

12. AKA

AKA Member

Good for her!

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I wish Rachael success and happiness in whatever she chooses to do.
    She won't be the first skating champion to become a doctor/researcher.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  14. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Yeah, those two, but I was also thinking of Fumie Suguri types who don't seem comfortable with a life outside of the skating world. Is it easy? No. But I applaud skaters who are able to lead productive lives outside of their skating (yes, this is 99% of them, but some of the non-adjusters are really visible). And I think very few would want to go out the way Rachael has.

15. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

In addition to taking on student gov't at school (part of group elected to Jr Class President)....

Found this video from Stanford....assuming this was filmed sometime last year during Flatt's 2nd yr at Stanford.
    https://undergrad.stanford.edu/prog...-student-edition/writing-matters-rachel-flatt

16. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Why do they have a group president?

17. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Maybe at Stanford there is too much for a single person to handle.

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

This event is today: http://www.nasa.gov/connect/hangout.html
    https://plus.google.com/app/basic/events/cu89ta1tvo21avsoa2ucm6unqug

19. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Between the athletic aspect and the scientific aspect, sounds perfect for Rachael!

20. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Sounds fun! it's nice that Rachael seems to be fully embracing her college experience, while still using her skating experience for some interesting and worthwhile experiences including some benefit skating shows.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re. my post #138 above - "Fitness Training With The "Best of the Best!" via NASAtelevision's YT channel (41 mins): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJvz10pvhiM

Re-posting from the U.S. Ladies news thread:
    I heard that Rachael Flatt skated short and long programs in a Colorado club competition last weekend, scoring around 56 in her SP (landed 3F+2T, 3Lo, 2A) but don't have any other details.

22. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

In his interview with Jenny, Tom said she was mounting a comeback. As I understand it, she has a long and a short ready, so it seems she will make the attempt. I wish she had gone ahead and medically addressed her discs problem during her lay off. She has said though she will not do that until she is finished competing. She hasn't had it done, so I would say it looks like its "go" for now. How anyone can do as much as she does is amazing. I wonder if she will ever get burn out.

23. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^I'm neither a fan nor a detractor of Flatt and I don't think she's got a snowball's chance in hell of making any team, but I look forward to her coming back for her own gratification and just because she will just make the competition more interesting. She hasn't been gone from competition only a year - I think her last competition was '12 SA, but withdrew from Ice Challenge in November?

24. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

I guess I'm a little puzzled as to why she would be trying to mount a comeback. She accomplished a great deal during the best years of her eligible career. And on top of that, seems to be thriving in her undergraduate life at Stanford. I suppose there's something to be said about having "no regrets" and all that, but I honestly thought she had moved on from skating competitively.

That said, that girl has some guts and determination - so I wish her well and would never underestimate her.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Article titled "Olympic Figure Skating Star Dons Scrubs at Memorial": http://www.memorialinsider.org/olympian-shadows-memorial-surgeon/
    Excerpt:

26. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

In the context of returning to training, I find the article a little confusing. It's not clear what she's training for: I assume she is training with Tom Z until the end of August, then she will continue training with her team in San Jose to get ready for Regionals???

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Rachael's Bio on IN has been updated with her self-choreographed program music:

Rachael Flatt (currently listed in ISP): http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100068&mode=I
    SP Music: "Adagio for Strings" by Samuel Barber
    FS Music: "Piano Concerto No. 2" by Sergei Rachmaninov
    Choreographer: Rachael Flatt
    Coaches: Justin Dillon, Lynn Smith
    College: Stanford University (2015)

28. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:swoon: I love "Adagio" (even a chopped up version for skating). :lol: I fondly remember Matt Savoie's "Adagio" SP.

29. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Uhhhhh.....so she's choreographing herself? :confused::shuffle:

30. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Every skater should be required to choreograph his/her program imo.

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.