Update on Rachael Flatt

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maureenfarone, Jan 26, 2013.

1. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Still works for us.....
    Ether way, check out Flatt's official FB page
    www.facebook.com/RachaelFlattUSA.
    Couple of photos there

2. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Please no. I love Uncle Dick, but... He is not what he used to be

And just think an entire Olympics with giggles and constant references to her medal.

I think she's not even average as a sports commentator

3. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

You actually have to be logged into FB to see the photos..otherwise "not available"

4. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

I just tried the same link as Iceman and got the same message about it being unavailable. I was logged into Facebook when I tried the link.

Best of luck to Rachael. COP is not kind to skaters who aren't flexible or like Rachael who have back problems.

5. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

I am, it directs me to her page, with my name/find friends/home at the top, but still says "This content is no longer available". The above link at post #91 directly logs me on to everything I can access through Facebook, but the link to the specific article is the one stumping me (and, I take it, Iceman as well). I myself have posted several direct links to specific facebook photos of Rachael, and on other occasions, Lucinda Ruh and Anjelika Krylova, perhaps someone can try posting a few that ways.

6. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I think you have to be FB friends with Rachael to see it.

7. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT when a skater does well academically while actively skating and then when slowing down and finally retiring by simultaneously seeing the big picture and doing well in high school, college and graduate school to set herself up professionally. Good for Rachael, she has figured life out so far and seems to be on a great track.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Had Rachael had not developed problems with her back, she probably would have been a lot more competitive. Her bulging discs limited what movements she could do, and I think this added to her boring factor.

She was/is a tough competitor. What season did she first injure it?

9. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Flatt was supposed to compete in the JGP series in the autumn of 2006,but withdrew due to the back injury (bulging discs) and missed the entire series, so she went thru the US qualifying competitions and finished 5th in her first season as a US Senior lady. Flatt competed internationally as a junior the following season 07-08, with a gold and silver in her two JGP events, finished 2nd at the JGPFinal, competed in Senior ladies at 2008 US Nationals where she placed second, and won the World Junior title.

So, she has had a bad back six full seasons. Ouch!

10. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

11. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Debi was already mentioned by me earlier, apatinar, along with Tenley, and now skatak has added Alain Calmat, that makes only three! (8^O

That's it??? No way, seriously I thought there would be at least a handful, considering what high achievers there are in f.s., but as I mentioned earlier becoming a doctor can even take a couple of decades. It's not easy. One cannot fake one's way through, at least I hope to God not, I certainly would not want a person that faked their way through to work on me! :eek:

Rachael makes me think back to Amina Bhatia, whom I went to school with from kindergarten to our senior year in high school, and who was honestly the smartest one in our school. Amina was an over achiever, she excelled in sports, class politics, everything! Anyhow, to my knowledge she's the only one that went on to become a doctor (she changed her major from lawyer to doctor). Huge smile just like Rach; I'll always remember her 6th grade birthday party at McDonald's. :D

Sorry for digressing everyone, back to Rachael, here's hoping she does whatever makes her happy! :)

12. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Not all high achievers are interested in medicine. There are skaters who turned to all sorts of field: Nathalie Pechalat is wrapping up a Masters degree in management, Alban Preaubert did the same while skating, Kristoffer Berntsson was working on a Masters in electrical engineering a few years ago, and of course Michelle Kwan turned to diplomacy and international relations, also obtaining a graduate degree. Paul Wylie went to business school, Timothy Goebel got his degree in mathematics, and Matt Savoie became a lawyer.

A lot of skaters study, though not all in traditional programs. Like any group, they have diverse interests. Good for Rachael Flatt for finding the field she is passionate about.

13. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Hi, Zemgirl :)

Thanks for the added info., like I said there are high achievers in f.s., that's a given, but imho the highest field to conquer is medicine. By the way, don't forget Mr. Button, he's done it all, literally. He's conquered every field, sports, business, law school, commentating, founder of Candid Productions, producer, master gardener, he even skated pairs (lol), innovator, creator, and the accolades don't stop. He truly is a legend. And on that note I hope manleywoman one day interview's him. What stories he can tell, memories he must have....

By the way, I've read tons of articles on Dr. Debi Thomas's journey through the years and I think she would be a great mentor for Rachael, if she needs one that is. :)

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  14. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

David Jenkins is another skater-doctor who comes to mind.

15. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

this was expected but at least she has go plans for the future
    I'm sure she'll still be skating in some shows here and there

good luck to her future outside of skating

16. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

If we are going to brag about high achieving skaters, don't forget Sasha Cohen, who is at Columbia University, and Matt Savoie completed law school at Cornell. Of course Dick Button went to Harvard Law. The Hughes sisters graduated from Harvard and Yale, and Derrick Delmore did a double major at Stanford.

Andrea Gardiner used to say she had ambitions for a medical career, but the last rumor I heard is she is a dental hygienist. There's nothing wrong with that, and if it is true, I am sure she does a great job.

17. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

So you're saying we might get to see some of the urban street moves?

18. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

What about Aerospace Engineering, aka Rocket Science? Nuclear physics? Cosmology? :p

Do we have any of those in skating?

19. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think physicists all come from Russian skating ;)

20. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Alf majored in aerospace engineering, and I am smarter than he is in a lot of ways. ;) Plus he only has a BS, no need for 7 more years of schooling! Some people really take to certain subjects (physics and engineering comes quite naturally to Alf, where I'd sooner shoot myself!), so I wouldn't judge anyone's intelligence or drive based on whether they are a doctor or not. You obviously have to work hard and get great grades to get into medical school, but not all brilliant people choose to be doctors. Actually, the most brilliant people I know are into the social sciences. The folks I know who are getting through medical school are mostly there by sheer will. :lol:

21. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

In case anyone is wondering what Rachael might be like in the lab, just think of her as a distant cousin to another adorable-cute-but-highly-intellegent gal: Lindsay Monroe Messer! http://i2.listal.com/image/3418727/936full-anna-belknap.jpg Okay, I know Lindsay is a crime scene investigater and not a biologist, but think of the possibilities: : CSI: Stanford .

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  22. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

Jan Hoffman and Stephan Pfrengle are Doctors

23. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Meredith (sp?) Feinberg, US elite skater of the 1980s.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  24. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Lorraine Hanlon (1961 US Champ) is a doctor...AND I think she works at Stanford. Also a great potential mentor for Flatt.

25. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Not quite at the World level in skating, but still very accomplished...in both academics and skating
    Curran Oi, who attends MIT
    http://tech.mit.edu/V131/N26/aotwcurranoi.html

26. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

I think you meant 1962, as Laurance Owen won US Nationals in 1961 and the plane crash happened that year.

27. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Hanlon won the junior title at the 1961 United States Figure Skating Championships.

Hanlon won the silver medal at the 1962 U.S. Championships and the gold at the 1963 U.S. Championships.

28. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

sorry, double post

29. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Is Stephan Pfrengle married to Claudia Leistner?

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes, their daughter, Julia, is a competitive skater: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...skating-news&p=3832242&viewfull=1#post3832242

He's scheduled to graduate in 2013... already?!

"Doctors on ice" article ;): http://www.amednews.com/article/20070507/profession/305079966/6/

From Yasmin Siraj's Team USA profile: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=101020