Update on Rachael Flatt

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maureenfarone, Jan 26, 2013.

1. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

YES!!! Thanks for the much appreciated info.., Sylvia. :)

I just checked out their website, will have to print out the directions via mapquest, so hopefully me and a family member can attend one of the shows on either Saturday or Sunday. Can't go today because I have a doctor's appointment and a late night dinner out with family, but hopefully can attend one of those other days (fingers crossed). :)

As for the RA position, I was also one in college, it was highly competitive, based on grades, interview, recommendations, extracurricular activities, etc. In return I got free room & board; my very own room that's what I loved about it the most, lol. :D Seriously, it was a great time and I wish Rachael all the best!!!

2. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

Keauna. Sorry, I don't mean to be picky, it's just that it's a common mistake.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Thanks- I thought there was an A on the end of it, but also knew there was a 'u' so I didn't know where to put them all and didn't want to bother looking it up.

4. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Images of Rebel Wilson dancing from Pitch Perfect flashed through my mind when I read that.

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Scroll down for an update on Rachael Flatt in the latest edition (2/25/13) of "The Inside Edge" blog: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130225&content_id=41979808&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpts:

6. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I guess we won't see any of those streetwise new moves she learned.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Another skater/orthopedic surgeon in the making!

8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I wish her the best - both on the ice and with her career goals. She really seems to be enjoying her college experience.

9. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I think she's proceeding in a much smarter way than Pluschenko, who I fear is likely to end up crippled.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link Sylvia! Rachael seems to have her priorities straight -health first, I like that and academics. I think it's unlikely she'll be back, especially for the Olympic season but I wish her great success in her endeavors. Dr. Rachael Flatt has a nice ring to it. :cool:

11. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

And, as was noted before, having that cheery face and disposition is enough to brighten any patient's day!

12. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges sadly.

Kwan oddly seems to be their theoretical love child. Like flatt, a smartie with interests and ambitions outside of skating. Like plushy, a superstar making mad $$ off of skating and almost crippling herself by staying in past her prime.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This thread is not the place for a "dig" at MK; although it seems that any excuse will do!
    I wish Rachael the very best.

14. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Flatt references three years of injury issues in the IN article, and the fact she had reinjured her back again. Ugh! But, pretty cool that sponsors like Sony are reaching out to her to help with their Moving 650 project. Hope the vids are posted online by Sony.

-----As for skating, Flatt took two months off after Skate America to let her body heal.

"After nationals last year, I took some time off, and then I re-injured my back last summer," she said. "I've had really severe tendinitis for the last two or three seasons, and it really has not gone away. My body was just telling me to take it easy. It was definitely necessary. I feel much better."

Flatt says she is currently skating a couple of days a week; she skated in a show in Washington recently and said she had "a blast" doing it. She's also participating in the Moving 650 Project for Sony. Several athletes and dancers from the San Francisco area are using tiny video cameras to record what they do.

"I wore a helmet with the camera on top the other day [while I skated]," she said. "I definitely got some funny looks at the rink! I taped the camera onto my skate a couple mornings ago. I'm posting a lot of stuff on Facebook and Twitter."---------

15. berthesghost

No dig was made regardless of how you've chosen to interpret it. People were openly discussing Flatt's interests outside of skating and her injuries as significant to her discussion to continue competing or not. Likewise plushy. So I didn't just randomly bring up Kwan for no reason, it was still OT IMO.

I think we all wish rachael and every other skater the very best. We are after all skating fans.

Manleywoman's podcasts with carol heiss were very interesting as they touched upon not only her, but her husband's and bil's persuit of careers outside of skating and then return to the skating world.

It will be interesting to see what all these skaters decide to do in coming years.

16. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Plushenko is capable of beating everyone else when at his peak. Flatt on the other hand... :scream:

18. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Woah. That was kind of uncalled-for. Since Rachel in the article does herself talk about the possibility of competing again, I don't see anything out of line in posters talking about whether they think she could be competitive again. I mean, differing opinions are kind of what this board is all about.

19. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Rachael's going to be a FAB doctor! :respec: However, I have to say I'm not surprised considering her father is a biochemical engineer and her mother is a molecular biologist; science runs in the family! :) It got me thinking how many doctors are in figure skating? The only ones I can think of off hand are Debbie Thomas and Tenley Albright (Sarah Hughes wanted to at one time because of her mother being a cancer survivor but changed her major :( ). That said, I know there must be more seeing as how figure skating is loaded with high achievers, with doctor being top notch imho. It's something that takes extreme dedication after all, because to become a doctor one typically spends 4 yrs. in an undergraduate college, then 4 years in a medical school, followed by internship and medical residency, which can take anywhere from 2-6 years depending on the complexity of the specialty that the doctor is entering. That's a good 10-16 years! (8^O Nevertheless, it's most likely a cake walk to a figure skater considering they spend practically all their lives on the ice, so spending over a decade to become a doctor seems like nothing in comparison. Jmho. :)^)

GOOOOOOOOOOO RACHAEL!!!!:kickass:

ETA: lol i was just thinking of what Tara Lipinski said once when asked if she would ever go to college, and she replied something to the effect of when she's ready she will and it won't be "basket weaving". :lol: Well, Tara, becoming a doctor is definitely *not* basket weaving, you have to have the smarts. Here's hoping you too eventually go to college (it's never too late to learn) and surprise us all with your major, I'm waiting... :D

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  20. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

21. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Good for her. It's great that she's found something outside of skating to focus on and be passionate about. As brainy as they say she is, I think she'd make a good doctor.

I don't see her skating competitively anymore. I'm sure she'll continue to skate b/c she loves it and she'll do shows here and there, but from what she says she's focusing more on getting healthy and school. There really isn't a point in her coming back to compete. Her time has passed and that's fine. She's had a very successful career and done more than what most will do in the course of their competitive career.

Here's to you, future Dr. Rachael Flatt! :)

22. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Don't know what to tell you, I can still see the photos on Rachael's FB page.

23. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

No, it isn't ridiculous. Yes, jumping is about technique, but it is also affected by the athlete's strength to body weight ratio. (This is just basic physics.) Men may weigh more than women, but they are also stronger. When any one skater gets heavier without getting stronger, they are not able to get the same height and rotation. I still remember how much better Angela Nikodinov's jumps got after losing just a few pounds. Whenever a skater has enough subcutaneous fat to obscure her muscle definition, then she probably could benefit from fewer pounds, IMO.

That said, it does not do a skater any good to lose so much weight that they also lose muscle and strength. The key is finding the optimal point.

24. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I remember in an interview long ago regarding Lipinski and college, Tara's mom said 'She promised me'. Guess Tara's holding off on that promise. Still, imo she's great at figure skating commentary. I wish they'd use her and Uncle Dick instead of of Bezic/Hamilton in Olympic tv broadcasts.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I think she would make a very good physician. :cheer2:

26. berthesghost

Luckily, Tara's commentating career coincided with the demise of televised skating. Sandy&Scotty set the bar pretty low, but Tara somehow still fails to rise above it.

27. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

A former French champion, that became World champion, also became a doctor... and a minister.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Calmat

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  28. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Dr. Rachael Flatt...I love it!

29. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Best of luck to Rachael. :cheer2:

30. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member