Update on Rachael Flatt

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maureenfarone, Jan 26, 2013.

1. apatinar

apatinar New Member

That sounds like an absolute disaster.. Rachel Flatt - street smart and urban moves don't really go together at all...
  2. apatinar

apatinar New Member

I really don't think Rachel can slim down anymore than she is... No matter how much weight she loses she will always have that puffy looking face like Renee Zellweger... Also, no matter how much weight she loses she will always have that pear shaped body.. It is just the way she is built... It doesn't look good for figure skating, but that is how she was made..
  3. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

:confused:

It's a volunteer position, not a job. Though they did elect me to a 3rd term (you are appointed for the first two) so they must have liked me. :D
  4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

That's ridiculous. Successful jumps are about timing, not about how much body weight you are carrying. There are a lot of male skaters who, judging by their height and body build, probably weigh more than Rachael does, but they have no trouble doing quads.
  6. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Every skater has an optimum weight at which he/she performs best. Sarah Hughes was at her optimum weight for skating at the 2002 Olympics, but the following year, she had put on at least 10 lbs and her jumps suffered. The URs she worked hard to overcome in 2002 were back in 2003, she was flutzing worse than ever, and she couldn't do 3/3. She was 6th at Worlds 2003.

One year, Alexei Yagudin overtrained and lost a lot of weight. His performances were subpar until he put back some of the weight he lost. OTOH, Brian Joubert has admitted that when he is not at his optimum weight (i.e., is heavier) he doesn't skate well.
  7. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

And the truly amazing part... posters on here know the "optimum" weight somehow and can also judge. (wonder how many of us are at our "optimum weight"? )
  8. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

No, we don't know what a skater's optimum weight is. But they do. Some are vigilant about maintaining it, others less so.
  9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Not to mention that a skater being outside their optimum weight isn't always the cause of jump problems.
  10. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Wow, I can't imagine why anybody would unfriend you on Facebook :rolleyes:
  11. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

At my school RA was a job too and a quite demanding one. Rachael has said that she won't have surgery on her 3 bulging disks until her competitive days are over. It looks like now when she is not competing would be a good time to have it done. Undoubtedly, she will do what Thomas did for the Olympic year and that is take that year off from school.
  12. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Can't rep, would rep if I could rep...funny, we were having a thread on a riding forum about the 'Eq Diet' (ie anorexic behavior; hunters are about twenty years behind every other female-majority sport in admitting they have a problem with eating disorders despite glaring evidence to the contrary) and I had even said that skating and gymnastics had improved and people were less likely to make snide remarks about weight than they used to be. I stand corrected.
  13. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:rofl:

I have no idea where the LA comment came from. Stanford is a good 6 hours driving from LA. And Bay Area residents thumb their noses at LA residents! She'd probably be glad not to garner cred in LA! :rofl:

I live in LA and Rachael would have plenty of cred here. :rolleyes: Not like she wants to be a Barbie-ed up actress.
  14. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

The "exhibition show in February" (mentioned in the original article in post #1) is the annual club show of the Lakewood Winter Club and is taking place in Tacoma, Washington starting today, Friday afternoon, Feb. 8 through Sunday afternoon, Feb. 10. Rachael Flatt and Ben Agosto are this year's Special Guest Stars - here's the info: http://www.lakewoodwinterclub.com/Reflections_on_Ice_Show.html
  15. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Agh, people, California is huge. What's cool here in LA is a laughingstock in Palo Alto, and vice versa. /Angeleno rant

In all seriousness, though, being an RA is, if not a job, an extraordinarily generous effort. My friends fall into one of two groups: the "I loved my RA so much I became one" group and the "I bugged my RA so much that I'd never want to become one" group.
  16. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

17. Blondie12

Blondie12 New Member

Rachel is not seriously thinking about Sochi, is she? I think everyone knows the 2 spots are going to ashley and Gracie. I don't see RAchel ever getting that 3rd spot. (Assuming it exists). I think Christiana, Agnes or Mirai would get it over her

It would be a shame for Rachel to waste a year of her college experience to try for something she has such little chance of accomplishing... And if you add to that the politics involved, even if She skated perfect, I doubt they would want her on the Olympic team...she burned too many bridges w the worlds situation...

I also do not know what she would seek to accomplish, most returning Olympians try to increase their ranking, but her ranking would decrease, I cannot see how she would crack the top 10 unless there are serious meltdowns
  18. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

RA = Resident Advisor. In a typical dorm, each floor has at least one, or more depending on the size of the dorm. In the college I attended, the dorm was L-shaped, and each leg of the L was split on each floor, and each section had its own RA. Each RA had half their room and board paid for, and they all took a turn at minding the front desk on a weekly basis. They also got together to plan dorm activities for the residents, like passing out "study buddies" for finals (little plastic buckets with assorted snacks), planning parties, etc.
  19. Skittl1321

I don't think 'everyone' knows who those two spots are going to. Ice is SO slippery. Did anyone think Rockne and Keanu weren't going to be Olympians? Until nationals happens, no one knows who is getting the spots (although the ladies you named are definetly presumed front runners.)
  20. Sylvia

Did you read the article that was posted at the beginning of this thread? http://www.stanforddaily.com/2013/01/25/flatt-glides-to-victory-on-and-off-the-ice/
    Rachael's quote at the end:
  21. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

YES!!! Thanks for the much appreciated info.., Sylvia. :)

I just checked out their website, will have to print out the directions via mapquest, so hopefully me and a family member can attend one of the shows on either Saturday or Sunday. Can't go today because I have a doctor's appointment and a late night dinner out with family, but hopefully can attend one of those other days (fingers crossed). :)

As for the RA position, I was also one in college, it was highly competitive, based on grades, interview, recommendations, extracurricular activities, etc. In return I got free room & board; my very own room that's what I loved about it the most, lol. :D Seriously, it was a great time and I wish Rachael all the best!!!
  22. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 New Member

Keauna. Sorry, I don't mean to be picky, it's just that it's a common mistake.
  23. Skittl1321

Thanks- I thought there was an A on the end of it, but also knew there was a 'u' so I didn't know where to put them all and didn't want to bother looking it up.
  24. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Images of Rebel Wilson dancing from Pitch Perfect flashed through my mind when I read that.
    Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Sylvia

Scroll down for an update on Rachael Flatt in the latest edition (2/25/13) of "The Inside Edge" blog: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130225&content_id=41979808&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpts:
  26. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I guess we won't see any of those streetwise new moves she learned.
  27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Another skater/orthopedic surgeon in the making!
  28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I wish her the best - both on the ice and with her career goals. She really seems to be enjoying her college experience.
  29. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I think she's proceeding in a much smarter way than Pluschenko, who I fear is likely to end up crippled.
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link Sylvia! Rachael seems to have her priorities straight -health first, I like that and academics. I think it's unlikely she'll be back, especially for the Olympic season but I wish her great success in her endeavors. Dr. Rachael Flatt has a nice ring to it. :cool:
  31. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Well-Known Member

And, as was noted before, having that cheery face and disposition is enough to brighten any patient's day!
  32. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges sadly.

Kwan oddly seems to be their theoretical love child. Like flatt, a smartie with interests and ambitions outside of skating. Like plushy, a superstar making mad $$ off of skating and almost crippling herself by staying in past her prime.
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  33. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This thread is not the place for a "dig" at MK; although it seems that any excuse will do!
    I wish Rachael the very best.
  34. B.Cooper

B.Cooper New Member

Flatt references three years of injury issues in the IN article, and the fact she had reinjured her back again. Ugh! But, pretty cool that sponsors like Sony are reaching out to her to help with their Moving 650 project. Hope the vids are posted online by Sony.

-----As for skating, Flatt took two months off after Skate America to let her body heal.

"After nationals last year, I took some time off, and then I re-injured my back last summer," she said. "I've had really severe tendinitis for the last two or three seasons, and it really has not gone away. My body was just telling me to take it easy. It was definitely necessary. I feel much better."

Flatt says she is currently skating a couple of days a week; she skated in a show in Washington recently and said she had "a blast" doing it. She's also participating in the Moving 650 Project for Sony. Several athletes and dancers from the San Francisco area are using tiny video cameras to record what they do.

"I wore a helmet with the camera on top the other day [while I skated]," she said. "I definitely got some funny looks at the rink! I taped the camera onto my skate a couple mornings ago. I'm posting a lot of stuff on Facebook and Twitter."---------
  35. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

No dig was made regardless of how you've chosen to interpret it. People were openly discussing Flatt's interests outside of skating and her injuries as significant to her discussion to continue competing or not. Likewise plushy. So I didn't just randomly bring up Kwan for no reason, it was still OT IMO.

I think we all wish rachael and every other skater the very best. We are after all skating fans.

Manleywoman's podcasts with carol heiss were very interesting as they touched upon not only her, but her husband's and bil's persuit of careers outside of skating and then return to the skating world.

It will be interesting to see what all these skaters decide to do in coming years.
  36. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

37. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Plushenko is capable of beating everyone else when at his peak. Flatt on the other hand... :scream:
  38. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Woah. That was kind of uncalled-for. Since Rachel in the article does herself talk about the possibility of competing again, I don't see anything out of line in posters talking about whether they think she could be competitive again. I mean, differing opinions are kind of what this board is all about.
  39. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Rachael's going to be a FAB doctor! :respec: However, I have to say I'm not surprised considering her father is a biochemical engineer and her mother is a molecular biologist; science runs in the family! :) It got me thinking how many doctors are in figure skating? The only ones I can think of off hand are Debbie Thomas and Tenley Albright (Sarah Hughes wanted to at one time because of her mother being a cancer survivor but changed her major :( ). That said, I know there must be more seeing as how figure skating is loaded with high achievers, with doctor being top notch imho. It's something that takes extreme dedication after all, because to become a doctor one typically spends 4 yrs. in an undergraduate college, then 4 years in a medical school, followed by internship and medical residency, which can take anywhere from 2-6 years depending on the complexity of the specialty that the doctor is entering. That's a good 10-16 years! (8^O Nevertheless, it's most likely a cake walk to a figure skater considering they spend practically all their lives on the ice, so spending over a decade to become a doctor seems like nothing in comparison. Jmho. :)^)

GOOOOOOOOOOO RACHAEL!!!!:kickass:

ETA: lol i was just thinking of what Tara Lipinski said once when asked if she would ever go to college, and she replied something to the effect of when she's ready she will and it won't be "basket weaving". :lol: Well, Tara, becoming a doctor is definitely *not* basket weaving, you have to have the smarts. Here's hoping you too eventually go to college (it's never too late to learn) and surprise us all with your major, I'm waiting... :D
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  40. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Well-Known Member