Update on Rachael Flatt

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maureenfarone, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Depends on how bothersome your students are. :p The RAs I knew were mostly super-laid back and are friends with everybody. That's how they easily kept the peace. ;)

Doesn't really surprise me how hands-on Rachael insists on being. She's at Stanford, after all. :lol:

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She has accomplished quite a lot when she was younger. The weight issue has gotten worse recently and the problems on the jumps followed suit.

3. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

I think the chronological order was.....injuries first. IIRC, she started having problems with boots/tendinitis in autumn 2010, NHK and then SA....and that has continued into 2013.

4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Having seen her skate in October at Skate America, I don't think she has any "weight issue".

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ideal skater build is very slim with dense but not overly developed muscles.

6. Anita18

And some people just have larger frames than others, and carry weight a lot more readily. Rachael filled out after puberty, but I don't believe she could have starved or spun-class herself back to her prepubescent frame. You can see it in her wrists, compared to Mao or Yu-Na's. Rachael worked very well with what she had, but it's great that she has plans after skating.

7. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

I think Rachael's original injury was bulging discs in her back that go back to 2007-2008 when she missed some of the JGP. She actually has a nice classic layback and ina bauer, but really doesn't seem to be able to do the bendy positions required by COP. She mentioned that she still has to carefully manage her back and is still having problems with the injuries to her right leg.

She accomplished a lot, as mentioned above, and I wish her well in the future whether or not that includes skating.

8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

She could have had better programs in 2009-2012 were it not for the back problems. I think with what she has pulled off in her career, she cannot be counted out until she says she's out.

As for her weight, the injuries and reduced ice time naturally make it harder to stay svelte. At Skate America, her timing looked good, but she wasn't the trimmest she's been since the Olympics. If she wants to complete more jumps, of course she will try to lose some weight.

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Were you an RA to freshmen, juniors, etc.? What type of anonymous performance feed-backs did you get?

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Our RAs were required to have pretty extensive 'office hours'. I mean, they could just be in their room studying, but they were basically trapped there the equivalent of a full time job- going and training full time would be difficult. They also had to be in their room overnight I think 95% of the days in the semester, they couldn't stay out weekend nights, and couldn't really travel (so competitions would be difficult).

Other than move in day, and like one dorm meeting though I don't remember actually ever interacting with my RA.

11. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

That sounds like an absolute disaster.. Rachel Flatt - street smart and urban moves don't really go together at all...

12. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

I really don't think Rachel can slim down anymore than she is... No matter how much weight she loses she will always have that puffy looking face like Renee Zellweger... Also, no matter how much weight she loses she will always have that pear shaped body.. It is just the way she is built... It doesn't look good for figure skating, but that is how she was made..

13. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

:confused:

It's a volunteer position, not a job. Though they did elect me to a 3rd term (you are appointed for the first two) so they must have liked me. :D

14. Skittl1321

15. overedge

That's ridiculous. Successful jumps are about timing, not about how much body weight you are carrying. There are a lot of male skaters who, judging by their height and body build, probably weigh more than Rachael does, but they have no trouble doing quads.

16. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Every skater has an optimum weight at which he/she performs best. Sarah Hughes was at her optimum weight for skating at the 2002 Olympics, but the following year, she had put on at least 10 lbs and her jumps suffered. The URs she worked hard to overcome in 2002 were back in 2003, she was flutzing worse than ever, and she couldn't do 3/3. She was 6th at Worlds 2003.

One year, Alexei Yagudin overtrained and lost a lot of weight. His performances were subpar until he put back some of the weight he lost. OTOH, Brian Joubert has admitted that when he is not at his optimum weight (i.e., is heavier) he doesn't skate well.

17. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

And the truly amazing part... posters on here know the "optimum" weight somehow and can also judge. (wonder how many of us are at our "optimum weight"? )

18. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

No, we don't know what a skater's optimum weight is. But they do. Some are vigilant about maintaining it, others less so.

19. overedge

Not to mention that a skater being outside their optimum weight isn't always the cause of jump problems.

20. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Wow, I can't imagine why anybody would unfriend you on Facebook :rolleyes:

21. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

At my school RA was a job too and a quite demanding one. Rachael has said that she won't have surgery on her 3 bulging disks until her competitive days are over. It looks like now when she is not competing would be a good time to have it done. Undoubtedly, she will do what Thomas did for the Olympic year and that is take that year off from school.

22. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Can't rep, would rep if I could rep...funny, we were having a thread on a riding forum about the 'Eq Diet' (ie anorexic behavior; hunters are about twenty years behind every other female-majority sport in admitting they have a problem with eating disorders despite glaring evidence to the contrary) and I had even said that skating and gymnastics had improved and people were less likely to make snide remarks about weight than they used to be. I stand corrected.

23. Anita18

:rofl:

I have no idea where the LA comment came from. Stanford is a good 6 hours driving from LA. And Bay Area residents thumb their noses at LA residents! She'd probably be glad not to garner cred in LA! :rofl:

I live in LA and Rachael would have plenty of cred here. :rolleyes: Not like she wants to be a Barbie-ed up actress.

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The "exhibition show in February" (mentioned in the original article in post #1) is the annual club show of the Lakewood Winter Club and is taking place in Tacoma, Washington starting today, Friday afternoon, Feb. 8 through Sunday afternoon, Feb. 10. Rachael Flatt and Ben Agosto are this year's Special Guest Stars - here's the info: http://www.lakewoodwinterclub.com/Reflections_on_Ice_Show.html

25. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Agh, people, California is huge. What's cool here in LA is a laughingstock in Palo Alto, and vice versa. /Angeleno rant

In all seriousness, though, being an RA is, if not a job, an extraordinarily generous effort. My friends fall into one of two groups: the "I loved my RA so much I became one" group and the "I bugged my RA so much that I'd never want to become one" group.

26. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

RA?

27. Blondie12

Blondie12 New Member

Rachel is not seriously thinking about Sochi, is she? I think everyone knows the 2 spots are going to ashley and Gracie. I don't see RAchel ever getting that 3rd spot. (Assuming it exists). I think Christiana, Agnes or Mirai would get it over her

It would be a shame for Rachel to waste a year of her college experience to try for something she has such little chance of accomplishing... And if you add to that the politics involved, even if She skated perfect, I doubt they would want her on the Olympic team...she burned too many bridges w the worlds situation...

I also do not know what she would seek to accomplish, most returning Olympians try to increase their ranking, but her ranking would decrease, I cannot see how she would crack the top 10 unless there are serious meltdowns

28. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

RA = Resident Advisor. In a typical dorm, each floor has at least one, or more depending on the size of the dorm. In the college I attended, the dorm was L-shaped, and each leg of the L was split on each floor, and each section had its own RA. Each RA had half their room and board paid for, and they all took a turn at minding the front desk on a weekly basis. They also got together to plan dorm activities for the residents, like passing out "study buddies" for finals (little plastic buckets with assorted snacks), planning parties, etc.

29. Skittl1321

I don't think 'everyone' knows who those two spots are going to. Ice is SO slippery. Did anyone think Rockne and Keanu weren't going to be Olympians? Until nationals happens, no one knows who is getting the spots (although the ladies you named are definetly presumed front runners.)

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Did you read the article that was posted at the beginning of this thread? http://www.stanforddaily.com/2013/01/25/flatt-glides-to-victory-on-and-off-the-ice/
    Rachael's quote at the end: