Update on Rachael Flatt

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maureenfarone, Jan 26, 2013.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^She mentions 'one more time' in her interview. I think she'll effectively retire after this season.

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

She's quite a lady.
    I'll enjoy seeing her in Boston, wherever she places.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  3. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

I read the Headline in the Link..Former Champion?

4. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

OH,NO!!!!!!!!! Not Rachael Flatt!!! I hope she's not Retiring for a loooooooooooooooong time. She's too gorgous a Skater AND very well Loved!! :(

5. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

In the pic with Rudy Galindo and Kristi Yamaguchi Rachael looks very pretty, very elegant in that black sequined dress. I was never a fan but I really admire the way that she sets her goals - and goes for them! I think I'm going to try her stickee trick to see if that helps me get more organized too. I keep forgetting things that I have to do!

6. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

Rachel :( I wish I could see her swan song there.

7. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

I'll bet she skates really well in Boston. As a veteran, going through this for her own personal reasons, the pressure won't be there. Hopefully she can skate and enjoy and be in the moment.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

9. ProgramerUSFS

ProgramerUSFS New Member

I am thinking that she is just one of the senior women that will come at these nationals, smarter trained and prepared then we have ever seen before. The nationals could turn out to be the best showing of US women in many years, whereas the young up starts make rookie mistakes and the older girls put on performances. But what will the judges do, that is the 64 dollar question now isn't it. In the end the fans really will win :)

10. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Rachael is long past competing for a spot on the podium.

11. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan but I will never, ever count out Rachael Flatt. At 2012 nationals, she might have medaled had she not been in the penultimate group. This was after a horrific season, difficult practices, her looking out of shape, a less-than-ideal coaching situation and much less ice time than she was used to. Despite all those setbacks, she lit up the arena in 2012 in her long program. It could happen again. If I had to bet, I'd say she doesn't medal but I won't count her out just yet. And besides a 4th place finish at US nationals counts as a spot on the podium.

12. RD

RD Well-Known Member

While I am of the belief that Flatt will not be a contender for the 2014 team, if she can put out a solid showing (similar to what she did in 2012) and be happy with herself, that would be a victory in itself.

13. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Two years ago Caroline Zhang somehow got a pewter medal. Weird things happen.

14. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I was at 2012 and I am a Flatt fan. I completely disagree with the judgement that she 'lit up the arena' with her LP and that she would have medaled if she skated later. It was a valiant effort but she clearly ran out of steam at the end and placed right about where she deserved. As for this season, based on her scores so far, I think making the Olympic team is a pipe dream -- she didn't even win her Sectionals. An awful lot of other skaters would have to go down in flames for it to happen.

As a fan, I'm hoping for what RD wrote: a solid showing and being happy with herself and her skate.

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I second that, MacMadame. I was there as well. Not a fan but I do admit she had a respectable showing in the LP, especially in comparison to the SP at the 2012 Nationals. But "lit up the arena" is a far cry from what happened.

16. fenway2

I was also there in 2012 so we will agree to disagree. I don't recall anyone getting a louder ovation than Rachael in the long program and that's coming from someone who was cheering for Wagner and was thrilled when she won.

17. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

^All of this! Including Rachael in discussions for a Sochi place is SILLY, I hope she's happy with her skates and we'll leave it at that.

18. fenway2

Who is saying she's going to Sochi? Jammers said she is long past competing for the podium and I argued that a top 4 finish is not impossible. She would need to skate cleanly and hope Gao, Hicks and Nagasu have meltdowns, but that's happened once this year for all of them, so it's not impossible. Like I said, I don't expect Rachael to place top 4 but I don't think it's as preposterous as everyone else thinks it is. :lol: Leave Sochi out of it. A podium finish and Sochi-bound are two entirely different things. It's not the same thing. Hell even if she finishes top 6, that's not a long way from the podium. That's just two spots away.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

There was a sizable Stanford contingent, being that the school is so close by. They made a lot of noise for Rachael, which is understandable. Chances are they don't know that much about skating and were supporting their classmate. That said, the standing ovation for Wagner was pretty intense.

20. fenway2

Yes, I know about Stanford and its close proximity to the arena. Wagner did get a loud ovation, but I still stand by my comment that Flatt got the biggest ovation of the night. I can't even believe we're debating applause decibels from a 2-year-old competition. Nationals can't get here fast enough. :lol:

21. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Zhang hasn't taken time off for school like Rachael has. Flatt doesn't do the hard jumps now and is even slower then ever and isn't in elite shape for a skater.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Hey, you brought it, up so believe it. :D Nationals are too far in the future. I can't wait for the GPF next week.

23. fenway2

Touché :lol:

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  24. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Referencing Flatt's Thanksgiving blog.....
    http://www.figureskatersonline.com/rachaelflatt/notebook-112013.html

"The week off has been great to rehab my back"

Guessing her lower back prevented her from doing some jumps, obtaining levels on elements at sectionals. Wonder if she re injured her back recently.

25. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

You know very well that calling a 4th place finish a "podium finish" is a complete technicality and not what Jammers meant.

26. fenway2

I have always maintained that 4th place at nationals is a podium finish. Because it is. So kindly stop telling me what I think or "very well know." How obnoxious.

27. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I can. I'm going to be watching Ashley between my fingers. She competes against Lipnitskaya head-to-head in neutral territory. It will be very interesting to compare PCS, see where one stands against the other on the road to Sochi.

Anyway, not trying to veer OT,

I hope Rachael is healthy. I want to see everyone in perfect fighting shape at Nationals

28. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I've never been a fan of Rachel, but good for her going to nationals again. She seems like a nice girl with a good work ethic.

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Rachael has THE work ethic.

I am really confused about the upcoming GPF, olympic. I am a fan of both Julia and Ashley. And Mao. And Carolina, although this year I am not really into her programs, so I will be rooting slightly less for her. What I am going to do??? :drama:

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    Just hope that everyone skates well.
    That way you can be happy, whatever the result.