Update on Rachael Flatt

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maureenfarone, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Christina Gao's first Senior B assignment was just this year (Nepela Trophy). Agnes Zawadzki did not have a Senior B before her Senior Grand Prix debut in the fall of 2010 (when she was still with Zakrajsek). Brandon Mroz never went to a Senior B until this past spring (his only international assignment last season). The Salt Lake Senior B gave USFS more slots and options starting last year. I assume Wagner has had the option to compete in a Senior B in recent years but has elected not to take it (she was able to test her FS at Japan Open this year, which is not USFS-assigned).

ETA:
    Last season was the first time Flatt only had one initial Grand Prix assignment. USFS often will assign a Senior B to a skater in such cases.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  2. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Most of the time, it's considered "better" to be assigned to a SGP than a Senior B. To act like a skater consistently assigned to SGP events has somehow been passed over because they haven't also been assigned to Senior Bs is a bit mystifying to me. :confused:

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Most of the time? I think you could say all of the time. Senior Bs are kind of consolation prizes... I think it is better to be last at a Grand Prix than it is to win a Senior B if you weren't invited to the GP at all.

4. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Are Sr B events really a consolation prize? USFS has utilized Sr B events for the ice dance program on a number of occasions for their elite teams, ie Davis and White in 2009; the Shibs have been sent to two Sr B events. Consolation prize or different goals for US dance program?

Edited to add...
    Is it just about ISU points or getting a buzz going about certain teams/skaters as the SGP events start up?

5. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

In terms of clout your skating carries with USFSA, that could well be the case. In terms of what that does for your ranking, not so much. Finishing 8th in a GP=191 pts (lower = no pts). Winning a Senior B =250 pts

6. Skittl1321

Maybe I haven't followed it closely enough, but it seemed for singles skaters, the ones who got Sr. Bs got them because they didn't get on the Grand Prix. Perhaps dance is different.
    Personally, I am really glad that this year they seem to be sending skaters to lots of senior Bs, including the GP skaters. I think it is better than the idea they are for also rans.

7. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Why not all of the above?

Giving skaters returning from injury, who may already have or be in the running for GP assignments, is yet another reason senior Bs have been used in the past.

Different skaters going to the same event may have been assigned for different reasons.

8. MacMadame

I think that who gets sent has changed as the rules changed. It's more common to send bigger names now to non-GP events because there is more to be gained by attending (i.e., points towards your ranking). I suspect that this is part of the reason the ISU has changed some of the rules they have changed -- to get skaters at these competitions and not just have the same handful of names competing at the same handful of comps year after year.

9. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I agree that the senior B events are getting more recogniition because of the changes, and it's a good thing for both the event and the skater. :cool: A win-win situation on both sides. jmho. :)

10. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Checking out something in Rachael's bio, I was surprised at how many coaches she has had during her career: 10. I thought she had always been with Tom until she went to Stanford.

What makes an event a senior B?

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Getting early and continuing feedback from an international panel, especially on levels, has become increasingly strategic, as is using them as a warm-up for the GPs, they haven't been in international competitions since the previous March (or April, if they do WTT) . With fewer GP spots -- actual and available -- second-tier skaters and new Seniors wanting feedback on senior-level programs can use them to improve their programs. I haven't done a count, but it seems that teams are changing programs more regularly within the season, and Senior B's give them a chance to preview new programs and revised ones. For first-tier skaters with just a week or two before GP's, it gives them a chance to incorporate feedback they got from GPs and test drive them in front of international judges and panels. For second-tier skaters, getting the Worlds TES minimums has not been easy, and the Senior B's as a whole don't have the entry obstacles of a GP.

Reducing the number of GP spots, not replacing late withdrawals, and allowing for "comeback" skaters/teams is hard for all disciplines, but the "split couple" rule also impacts Pairs and Dance, and they have the smallest fields to begin with.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's an annoying internet term for international non-ISU (but ISU-sanctioned) competitions.

Such competitions have international judging and technical panels, aren't invitational (so anybody can enter, barring space limitations, provided they go through their national federations) and skaters competing in them are eligible for ISU ranking points (two such events count for points every season).

You can find a full list of all of them in the events calendar on the ISU website.

13. Skittl1321

It is an ISU sanctioned event that is not part of the Grand Prix series or a Championship.

Oops- I got beat by Ziggy. But is it really an "internet term"? USFSA uses it on their website to define who is a member of Team USA. Why would they use it if it was just an "annoying internet term". http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=209

So maybe rather than internet term it is a US term? (The "B" series of events, as opposed to the A.)

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Tom Zakrajsek was Flatt's coach for most of her career while training at the Broadmoor SC in Colorado Springs, CO (assisted by Becky Calvin, Erik Schulz, and Eddie Shipstad, among others). I assume you are referencing her wiki, and I believe the other coaches listed were the ones that started her out in San Diego and then the first year she qualified for Junior Nationals at the Juvenile level in 2001-02 when she represented the Rocky Mountain FSC in Westminster, Colorado (Cindy Sullivan still coaches at that club and currently coaches Mariah Bell). I know Flatt already was with Zakrajsek when she won her 2005 U.S. Novice title.

ETA: She must have started skating with Zakrajsek when she was skating pairs with Andrew Speroff from 2001-04. I found an old bio of Flatt's that includes "Formerly coached by Cindy Sullivan and Robi Chalmers (2000-01), and Tiffany Mayes and Suzy Semanick Schurman (1997-2000)."

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Sorry it just rubs my OCD traits the wrong way. :saint:

It also seems to value non-ISU competitions as something worse (as in B-movies). :drama:

I think the usage of the term 'senior B' started on FSU and it became so ubiquitous, it ended up being added to the 'skating dictionary.'

16. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Like chacking. And where did "flutz" first show up as a word?

17. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

"Flutz" started in the skating community before the internet came along. But internet fans coined "lip" as the opposite and I have since heard it used by some coaches and officials.

18. Skittl1321

You've heard a USFSA official say chacking, when speaking for the organization (not as a private person?)

At least until recently, I think USFS did value them lower than the GP- they were B-list. At least they don't call them Senior-Ds...nothing worse than a D-list celebrity... B is still valuable, just not as much so. If there were more in North America they probably wouldn't get this feeling, as they'd use them like the Euro skaters do to really rack up the ranking points. Now that minimums have to be met, I think the value of a B will go up quite a bit.

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

20. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Wishing Rachael the very best at the Cup of Nice; and during the upcoming season.

22. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

Me too!

23. NadineWhite

:kickass:GOOOOOOOOOO RACH, GOOOOOOOOOOOOO RACH, RAHHHH, RAHHHH!!!!:cheer2:

24. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Rachael attended Kristi Yamaguchi's Always Dream Foundation benefit this past weekend in the Bay Area - here's a photo tweeted by Kristi:
    ETA that she mentioned how excited she was about seeing Matthew Morrison perform at Kristi's benefit at the end of her latest update:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  26. NadineWhite

Thank you so much Jot the Dot Dot for providing a link to that never before seen haunting photo of Rachael, so that's who she is inside, beautiful on the inside as well as the out. :)

And thanks to you too, Sylvia, for providing that starlet pic of Rachael with the biggest dreamer of all, Kristi Yamaguchi, whose charity is aptly named. :smokin:

27. NadineWhite

Update:

Rachael finished 9th at Coupe de Nice, which is really great considering she finished 18th in the SP (fell into the boards on her opening 3Z and only did a 2/2 & 2axel), but then redeemed herself in the FS by going for and landing all her planned triples, thereby pulling herself up to 9th overall, not bad, great in fact. jmho. :)

Now onto Sectionals, and hopefully Nationals! I'm proud of you, Rachael, you're a wonderful role model. *heart*

28. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

And here it is! Saw this on YouTube, not too bad for a non-professional video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K26ZfyacwEk .

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

^^^ That's her unfortunate SP from yesterday's live stream.

A better performance of Rachael's SP at Central Pacific Regionals, along with her FS, are both up for Icenetwork subscribers.

I haven't seen a video of her Cup of Nice FS (7th place) yet. She landed all her planned jumps (likely a few underrotation calls): 3Lz+2T, 3F hand, 3Lo+2T, 3S+2T+2Lo, 3Lo, 3S, 2A.

ETA:
    FS protocols are up: 130.18 total, 88.59 in FS with 4 ur calls: 3Lz+2T, 3F< (hand down), 3Lo+2T, 3S+2T+2Lo<, 3Lo<, 3S, 2A<.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  30. MacMadame

That bodes well for Sectionals.