Update on Rachael Flatt

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maureenfarone, Jan 26, 2013.

1. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

2. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Honestly, I think being an RA and being a competitive figure skater would be incredibly challenging. Good for her for being so accepting, though, and for finding things that she loves outside of skating. Rachael has everything she needs for success!

Side note: she's injured; I wonder how she's doing with the urban dance group?

3. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound hopeful that she will return to competitive skating, but she seems to have a healthy attitude about that.

4. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I think skating has passed her by. Just watching the Ladies tonight she couldn't compete at that level.

5. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting the upbeat article! I knew that Rachael was injured and not competing at Nationals but I still missed her.

She sounds wonderfully happy at school and has a realistic view about her skating career. GO Rachael!

6. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

I think that it is more that the last several years of chronic injuries have caught up with Flatt. Healthy and well trained, I think she could still be competitive. But three seasons of being injured have taken their toll. She certainly brought passion to her performances in her last few seasons, ESP at Nationals.

OTOH, Flatt has obviously made good decisions to stay off the ice and heal, and focus on school,etc. just too many injuries for the elite skaters the last few seasons. Hope they all take the time to heal properly.

7. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

She will be back. She has some street smart, urban moves she's planning to unveil.

LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The article was a little unclear. Is she still training two/three hours a day, five days a week?

(And shame on the Stanford newspaper for misspelling February in the photo caption....)

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Doesn't sound like it from this part of the article:
    ETA: 2013 is the first Nationals in which Flatt has not competed since she won the Novice title in 2005.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  10. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

She has such great perspective for such a young person.

Still, I'm a bit scared of hip-hop Rapping Rachael :scream:

11. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I do want Flatt to come back because she's a good role model to skaters for academics, as are Christina Gao and Armin Mahbanoozadeh. Skating is one sport that has a lot of bright competitors, and it's great to see diversity in what people are doing while they train.

12. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I give props too all these amazing athletes who can juggle rigorous academics and their skating at the same time, no matter what the result. As for Rachael, even if she doesn't come back, at least she got to go out with a crowd pleasing skate in San Jose last year. Good luck to her whatever may come!

FSfan107 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

LOL. I know you can tell she's really street when it comes down to it. Jody I heard was a member of the Crips at one time. Rachael even kicked a 10 year old Serena's ass right there right now on the streets of Compton. Don't mess with Rachael, or her freezing mom.
    They cut, or so I have heard.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  14. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

15. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

I just have a feeling her double chin doesn't garner cred in LA. Just saying, but love the video. I knew it too, oops.. :)

16. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I was looking for Rachael in that video but I only saw Dorothy Hamill.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  17. overedge

:rolleyes: She does not have a double chin.

18. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

yah, too bad figure skating is the only worthy thing to pursue in the entire world.....too bad she is studying medicine at Stanford, poor thing...(sarcasm on) Who cares if you think she couldn't compete at that level?

19. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Excellent excellent article! :)

This is another reason why I've always admired Rachael, her positive attitude, just an all around good American kid, which is reflected in the way she skates. J O Y!

And if she eventually does call it quits, she can be happy she went out a winner, literally ~ 2005 US Novice Champion, 2008 Jr. World Champion, 2010 US National Champion ~ as well as an Olympian, and she went to Worlds three times. Not many skaters can say the same thing. What an accomplishment. :cool:

However, if she does eventually return to *competitve* skating I hope she listens to her body first & foremost, and it looks like she has, Thank God!!!! Seriously, too many skaters have been pushing their bodies too soon too fast after injury/surgery and as a result have seen their return sidelined by injury once again (e.g. Evan Lysacek, Evgeni Plushenko, Alissa Czisny, and mayhap even John Couglin if he returns too soon). Instead I say take a note from Gracie Gold & Courtney Hicks, whom both were injured in the past, took a year off, and now look where they are at! :hat1:

Lastly, a doctor, a DOCTOR, what a wonderful one Rachael will make with her perpetual smile and sunny outlook... *insert sunshine emoticon*

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think she's going to quietly retire now.

21. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

When was Gracie injured?

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

23. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Sorry about that everyone as regards G.G. being injured, that's a mistake on my part. :eek: For some reason I thought she was injured, but no as Sylvia stated she finished 6th at Midwestern Sectionals and therefore failed to qualify for the 2011 US Jr. National Championships. But what I recall reading from an article on the 'net was that lit a fire under her, and she decided to re-dedicate herself to training, et al, which she had more than enough time to do so after not qualifying for Nationals (her season was over). And the rest is history... :cool:

ps: sorry for derailing such a splendid Rachael Flatt thread, but just needed to clear up that bit of false info. on my part as concerns G.G. Thanks for understanding everyone. :)

24. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

If the USA has three spots, and if Rachael can slim down, I see her going for it. She is a tough cookie.

25. lilshorty

lilshorty Member

I like Rachael. I hope she does what's best for her in whatever decision she makes.

26. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Rachael will make the right decision for her, and whatever it is, she will be a winner. When she graduates from Stanford, she'll be accepted at the top medical school of her choice and she'll have a brilliant career.

27. overedge

She seems to have accomplished quite a lot while carrying her current horribly excessive weight :rolleyes:

Moto Guzzi and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Dr. Rachael Flatt, M.D. has a nice ring. :cool: and she'd join the illustrious ranks of Dr. Tenley Albright and Dr. Debi Thomas. I'm sure there are many other skaters I don't know about who went on to medical careers. :)

29. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Yeah, she's on her way out if she wants to be an RA. Clearly lost interest in being a competitive skater. There's no way you can have time for studying pre-med, being an RA and a competitive skater!

30. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Are you being sarcastic? Because I was an RA my senior year of college and it took almost no time at all.