Update on Colonial Tours Fraud

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by gofigure, Nov 7, 2011.

1. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

I used Silver Blades for my trip to the 2006 US Nationals. I had been to Nationals before (and after) on my own and I am an experienced traveler. Since I had never used a tour before, I called Claudyne and talked to her about it. She was very nice and chatty. I decided to use the tour but I got my plane tickets on my own; there may have been an option to buy through her but I don't remember. The hotel was nice and within walking distance of the arena. She had a reception set up the day I arrived in the hotel that had some appetizers and a visit from Inoue and Baldwin. They autographed pictures for us. Claudyne was at the reception and sat with us for the events; she was ever-present. She also set up a morning sight-seeing tour of St. Louis that I was going to pass up but I'm glad I didn't. I enjoyed the people I met on the tour. Some of us were new but there were a few "regulars" who seem to know each other. All in all, I thought it was an excellent experience.

2. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I don't believe Silver Blades has ever been connected with Colonial. Silver Blades has been a family business since it's inception.

There was another Colonial Travel (actually, there are a lot of travel agencies named Colonial in the New England area) that ran skating tours out of MA a couple decades ago but it was not the same as or connected with the CT one in the above article.

3. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

Many of the people who travel with the tours seem to be older. Web is probably very low as a referral source for the tours. I suspect their business is primarily from repeat customers whose business predates the web, plus some word of mouth, print, and maybe some targeted TV advertising.

If anything, web may be more of a threat.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Colonial had a core of older clients who used them for many years. Many were interested in the night-time events and either rested or did tourist things during the day. In Dortmund, the original transport schedule to the arena was one bus a day: in the evening.

5. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I don't either. I know Claudyne has shared a few things with Colonial - if neither has had enough customers on any one particular trip to afford the shuttles they've shared the buses, for example. Claudyne lives in and works out of my little bitty Florida town and she can be trusted. :)

6. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I still maintain that, with Colonial out of the picture now, there is a void that needs to be filled, and someone from FSU with good business sense should step up to the plate. :)

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  7. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

This was not my experience with Colonial in the mid-90's to early 2000s. I had several very nice trips with them and I had no problem with the arrangements, Maria, or anything else. Thanks were very well done and well though out. She seemed to be quite friendly with Claudyne. All I can think is that something went wrong sometime after I stopped using them. And I stopped because I found I could make arrangements myself much cheaper. I have no experience with Silver Blades, but have only heard good things.

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

As soon as a group of us told her the night before the first event that we wanted to see everything, Maria arranged a bus for us immediately. I'd always had great experiences with her, and was impressed several times when I saw her make on-the-spot decisions and re-arrangements, and for the final trip I took with Colonial, she was down one guide due to a last minute family thing, and you wouldn't have known it. I would have used Colonial indefinitely, had the troubles not started.

I posted this because her core audience, at least on several trips I took, was the older group that mostly attended the nighttime events, and that for the first trip I took with her (2004), the default arrangements were for them.

9. marion853

marion853 New Member

I've been travelling with Uniworld sine 1990 and would not even consider going with someone else. If there is ever a problem there is always one or more reps available to sort it out and all arrangements are always done in advance. A+ organization.

10. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Oops = I was just going on what some people in the group that I was with - that there was something about the two, sharing things in the past but not now. I agree that Claudyne is extremely professional and can be trusted.

11. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Yes please!!