Up in coming Russian Ladies Figure Skaters

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Strawberry301, Feb 11, 2010.

1. tkrm7778

tkrm7778 Member

Julia is eligible for junior international events starting from 2011/2012 season, and for senior events starting from 2013/2014 (including Olympics), her birthday is on 5th of June 1998.
    Starting from May 2009 she's coached by Eteri Tutberidze, who's also coaching Polina Shelepen.
    Julia is extremely flexible by nature and liked to stretch by herself since she was a child, she never took rythmic gymnastics or anything for that. And best of all – she actually found all those crazy spin positions by herself, because it appeared more comfortable(!) to her, than classical ones! Recently she started to jump 3T–3T. Can be seen doing that with her coach on the video already mentionned above (second 3T is one quarter underrotated though) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DI8Sc-wrYE

Daria Medvedeva is coached by Mishin, she's also one year older than Lipnitskaya. Lipnitskaya beat her in elements and SP, but then Daria skated the best LP of the whole season and won.
    Daria Grinkov is not skating anymore. Liza Kulik is skating and coached in CSKA school in Moscow, last year she started to jump doubles, however she's not noticed to take part in competitions yet. She will be 9 years old on 15 june 2010.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
    Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  2. julesgotheblues

julesgotheblues New Member

Ksenia Makarova was excellent at the Worlds, at least at the SP which I actually saw live. I am quite fond, and quite not of Alena Leonova as well -- her personality speaks against her, but she reminds me veeery slightly of a young Irina Slutskaya.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

For reference, here are the Russian Nationals Junior Ladies results from February 2010 [Senior Nationals results from Dec. 2009 in brackets]:

1 Polina AGAFONOVA SPB 166.71 2 2 [3rd in JGP GER; 10th in Sr., 130.17 13 8; 3rd at Jr. Worlds, 154.27 3 4]
    2 Anna OVCHAROVA MOS 163.87 8 1 [5th in JGP Final, 144.96 4 6; 5th in Sr., 157.53 5 5; 5th at Jr. Worlds, 147.52 1 8]
    3 Polina SHELEPEN MOS 159.34 10 3 [2nd in JGP Final, 159.29 1 2; did not compete Sr.; 4th at Jr. Worlds, 151.65 7 3]
    4 Elizaveta TUKTAMISHEVA SPB 159.01 9 4 [3rd in Sr. 173.53 10 1]
    5 Julia LIPNITSKAYA MOS 155.50 5 5 [did not compete Sr.]
    6 Adelina SOTNIKOVA MOS 150.78 4 6 [4th in Sr., 172.69 3 4]
    7 Sofya BIRUKOVA MOS 149.70 3 7 [2nd in JGP TUR; 6th in Sr., 154.56 1 7]
    8 Maria ARTEMYEVA SPB 145.12 7 9 [4th in JGP CRO; 12th in Sr., 122.87 9 12]
    9 Kristina ZASEEVA MOS 144.42 1 12 [8th in Sr., 139.52 6 9]
    10 Polina KOROBEINIKOVA MOS 142.03 12 8
    11 Elena RADIONOVA MOS 131.38 18 10
    12 Valeria KACHALINA SPB 130.82 11 14
    13 Darya MEDVEDEVA SPB 130.81 6 16
    14 Ekaterina FROLOVA MOS 130.16 15 11
    15 Maria STAVITSKAYA SPB 125.27 14 13
    16 Roza SHEVELEVA MOB 122.92 13 15 (6th in JGP Lake Placid, 5th in JGP CRO)
    17 Anna SHERSHAK MOS 110.81 16 17
    18 Darya AFANASYEVA TOL 109.48 17 18
    19 Maria SHAROVA SAR 94.13 19 19

As Lanna mentioned on the previous page, both Elizaveta Tuktamisheva and Adelina Sotnikova finally will be JGP age-eligible in the coming season.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  4. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Small correction, Sylvia - Agafonova was 3rd at Junior Worlds, not 4th. :)

I know I mentioned Medvedeva, but I wanted to add that she has a clean 3Lz and 3F with no edge calls.

5. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

Doesn't she live in the US?

6. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

That's not quite accurate. Liza attended CSKA for a few months while she was in Moscow with Katia during the autumn of 2008 - it was temporary and she returned home at Christmas time that year. Ilia said afterward that it was a great experience for her to train for a while where lots of up-and-coming skaters train - to see the levels of everyone else - she was very inspired by the whole experience.

Liza lives and skates at home in Southern California with her parents and is coached by both Ilia and Katia. Ilia commented about a year ago (when Liza was 7) at a Krew breakfast that she had all her double jumps (but the double axel of course) and that her edge jumps were quite good in form (he smiled like a proud Papa!). Where she is today in terms of development, don't know, but she is training with her parents daily.

I saw her briefly during the rehearsals for Scott's show in Cleveland months back and she was using a little quiet time on the ice to work on the edges of her spreadeagles - she was doing nicely. Ilia said that she might do a few small, local competitions in California this season. She passed her Preliminary test (USFSA) about a year ago - I don't know if she has tested beyond that. As said above, she is 8 now, will be 9 in June.

As Ilia has often said, they will give her every support they can if she is passionate about pursuing skating which she is up to this point. If she really loses interest, then she is free to move on. They didn't insist that Daria choose skating and they won't make that decision for Liza either, The drive to skate must come from the child and they want their girls to be happy, fulfilled people above all things.

Willowway

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  7. tkrm7778

tkrm7778 Member

Just IMHO, at the "Zhuk Memorial" several people liked this 9 year old girl. She is no Elena Radionova (yet?), and she's not jumping triples yet, but she has great expression on ice and she has "something" in my opinion. She's training in Sankt-Petersbourg at the Figure Skating Academie, her coach is Svetlana Franzusova.

Ekaterina Vysotina:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ani2tCyehEs

8. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

According to Weir in "The Loft" Ksenia is jumping 3lz/3t in practices, but has not yet put them in her programs. So I think she is looking to improve!

In another thread it was said that Weir noted Galina is the one that watered down his transitions and choreography. If true, the real question is if she likes less choreography because her students can't skate clean otherwise. If so, then maybe she will add more as when they can handle it.

9. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

3lz+3t? But she hasn't had a solo 3lz in her program?! :huh:

10. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

Yep that's what he said. He mentioned the 3lz is a new jump this year as was the flip last year.

11. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

Yes, Ksenia's father, Oleg Makarov, said the same in his interview after Euros. Ksenia also mentioned after Olympics that she will put 3lz in her programs next year and wants to try 3F-3T or 3Lz-3T

12. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Meh, Johnny has always given blind praise to the younger Russian girls. As I recall, he formerly had Arina Martinova on the "favorite athletes" list on his website but chucked her once she failed to live up to her potential. :rofl:

13. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

:rofl: That is classic. Blind praise is right. :scream:
    I like Makarova but listening to Johnny go on and on about how much of a woman she was made me want for Helgesson to kick her butt.

14. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I still think she has a good shot, many of these girls are so young that they can go in 2018 if they aren't quite the soup by 2014. Plus you don't know what puberty will do to them, even if they do overcome puberty a lot is going to depend on the timing and if they will be able to recover from growth spurts in time for Sochi.

Also, they aren't all little jumping beans. Ovcharova is known more for her spirals, spins, and footwork than her jumps so in a couple years I think will be more of an elegant (in an energetic way) lady than a jumping bean and Agafonova seems pretty graceful too. Again, it's all about the timing, I don't think we'll be seeing Leonova in Sochi but Makarova I think will be there and maybe Ovcharova too where she will have more international experience than a lot of the others by then and seems be going through her growing pains now (and still improving a lot despite them) rather than later. Liza apparently landed 3a in a competition :D so I think we'll be seeing a lot of her in a couple years, that girl is scary good!

15. geod2

geod2 New Member

Because??
    Currently ISU ranked 8th, but too old at 24 by then?

If true, that would be :(.

16. pinky166

Because the younger girls are better, and I'm sure some of them will survive puberty considering there's about a dozen of them and new ones popping up every week!

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The young girls are already very inconsistent, however, and growth spurts and big breasts/hips might impact their skating careers a lot. You just don't know what's going to happen to their bodies when they start to reach puberty.

Poor girls have it so much harder because of that. :(

18. pinky166

I kind of doubt all of them will end up with big boobs and hips. Russia has so many thin, beautiful ballerinas that I think some of the girls will remain slim. Plus, growing up didn't ruin Irina.

13 year olds in general are inconsistent and many of these girls have only been doing triples for a little while. I personally don't find Leonova too impressive but maybe if she improves I will change my mind.

I found another Russian woo! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4uJuGoPOu8&feature=related she has pretty nice jumps.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  19. REO

REO New Member

Because you never support your friends? How sad.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

No, because as a journalist you're supposed to try to remain as impartial as possible.

21. pinky166

I kind of did not get that. Johnny kept talking about how Ksenia was a woman but to me she doesn't look that different from the other skaters out there. I mean, yeah she's tall but it's not like she has a particularly womanly body or mature presence on the ice. She is a good skater, but in some ways she's still a bit juniorish, womanly wouldn't be a word I'd use to describe her.

22. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Roza is lovely; I've adored her skating since I saw videos from Crystal Skate last year.
    However, she's really inconsistent. But she does have a 3Lz and 3F without edge class.

23. pinky166

Yay, another Roza fan! She might surprise us and improve in the coming season, Anna was only 16th at Junior Nationals and now she's doing really well, Roza could have a similar breakthrough.

Most of the girls are pretty inconsistent so I think Roza can learn consistency in coming years along with the rest of them.

24. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Roza was 5th and 6th at her JGP events this year, so not a bad start.

25. REO

REO New Member

Oh yeah, like Hamilton and Bezic. I get it now.

26. pinky166

Yeah! And she was 2nd in the SP at JGP Croatia. Hope she does even better in the coming season and makes it to the JGPF! Lol, watch ALL the entrants at the ladies JGPF be from Russia next year :lol:.

27. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Those two don't exactly set the bar high themselves. I think Makarova is lovely, but Johnny's constant and never-ending praise of her on Universal Sports was a bit much and OTT.

28. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

It's not like the girls from the U.S. and Japan won't be competitive with them. I think you're underestimating the rest of the world. A lot can happen in the next 5 months.

29. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wouldn't count on that. I can see Adelina and Elizaveta making the final, but Zawadski & Imai are very strong, as are some of the more obskure Japanese girls.

I don't think the US field is as strong next year as year's past, but they are never to be underestimated (and the not quite old enough novices are very good). I think Angela Wang could do really well. She finished behind Siraj and Jiang, but she has all the triples. I hope she gets a JGP assignment.

30. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

Yep, because they have almost fascist selection system in ballet schools.