Unusual jump combo... inspiration from the past

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by aftershocks, Nov 8, 2011.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otH4Ed1IjUQ&feature=related

Toller Cranston -- La Rondine (I even love the way he bows at the end) :swoon:
    check out the combo at 1:52 - 1:57 and in slo-mo at 4:21 - 4:31
    A one-foot axel into a double salchow! ** May sound simple but it can't be easy to perform. For me interesting combination jumps like this, as well as creative moves (which this program is full of) and transitions in and out of jumps (a la Jeremy Abbott and Matt Savoie) are more compelling and unique than that "danged" extra quad revolution, which mostly for me just detracts from a program, and the extra revolution is just the blink of an eye. I Don't Care!!!

But I do wish more skaters would be inspired by watching past skating programs to incorporate unusual combo jumps and unique moves into their programs. Tired of the cookie cutter elements. Also, what are some other unique and difficult combos besides 3loop, 3loop?

BTW, a delayed single axel, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVNImLRliFU a la Charlie Tickner (no stalking of jumps in that program), IMO, is so much more pleasing to the eye than a 3-axel (unless it's one of Johnny's gorgeous 3-axels :))

**ETA: reminded from the Skate Journal link posted below by Sylvia, that Jill Trenary performed a one-foot axel, 3-salchow in her 1990 lp.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  3. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Unless the ISU would consider a "choreographic jump sequence" in the long program, it all comes down to the points, and I'm afraid these more unusual sequences will not be seen in today's programs.

Keep in mind we are seeing more half-loop+3 salchow combinations/"sequences" these days because they're being rewarded more (now considered a 3 jump combination)

4. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I would love something like that.

A few years ago I came up with some possible features for jump sequences with low- or nonrotational jumps to earn levels, with level 1 being worth not much and level 4 more than a double axel. If it's a choreo sequence, which seems to be the trend lately, then difficulty wouldn't matter, except maybe in GOEs.

Either way, it could take the place of a jumping pass or a sequence.

But what about double jumps (other than double axel)? They're comparatively rare in senior competition but some of the lesser jumpers will use some of their regular jump passes for doubles if they don't have enough triples. In juniors, many skaters below the top ranks don't have enough triples to fill all the jump passes.

So I probably wouldn't want to see sequences with double jumps relegated to choreo sequences when they're actually harder than what some international competitors are doing for standard jump passes.

On the other hand, it would be nice to give the strong jumpers the option to do something creative with jumps that are easy for them and get rewarded for it without having to give up one of their triple jump passes.

If choreo jump sequence or leveled small jump sequence is a kind of sequence that substitutes for a second step sequence instead of for a jump pass, then the good jumpers can do it in addition to their regular jumps.

If it is in place of a triple jump pass and allows double jumps, then I'd want to build in extra points for doing jumps in opposite directions, maybe for double jumps with inside edge landings on the other foot, and so forth.

And the +GOEs should be large enough that there's appropriate reward for including single jumps with difficult air positions like split-flip or split lutz or delayed axel

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. aftershocks

Here's a pretty and simple, not elaborate jump from Midori Ito, with steps going into it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKGasODrAcU 1:41 - 1:48

Who do you recall Seerek, performing half-loop, 3 salchow? That's another interesting combo. With IJS constantly re-assessing, it might be possible, IMO, to allow for more unique combinations. The sport should be about evolving in ways that enhance the sport and art of figure skating. To me, the issue right now is that the points-gathering system has created a number of problems, including cookie cutter programs, and skaters leaving out jumps they find difficult to do :rolleyes: (and I ain't talking about the quad either, which is just an extra revolution).

I'm talking about skaters including at least one of every skating repertoire jump in their free programs (whether it be a single, double or triple) axel, lutz, loop, flip, salchow, toe. Forget about requiring quads (unless they want to set up a separate jumping contest for quads and quad combos). I know the quad isn't going away, but more needs to be done about studying how it affects skaters' bodies, the physics of trying to do them (height and quick revolutions are the key, but it also seems to be an energy, timing and mental hurdle connected with the layout and flow of a program), how it impacts programs, training, and other jumps.

The jumps and the athletic side are very important in fs, but the art should not take a back seat either, and unfortunately that's what usually happens. Young up-and-comers with jumps are generally rewarded more, while the attitude toward artistry is okay if you have it (a la Jason Brown) but the jumps come first (as in, he's got to have that 3-axel down -- yes he does in today's men's field -- but now the quad too, mon dieu, -- pls don't lose artistry in the process). I think jumps and artistry are needed for a well-rounded skater, and for the growth of the sport. Yuzuru Hanyu is a gifted prodigy with artistry and amazing jumps, but his endurance and pacing are not good, plus he still needs to mature artistically. Brezina came first with the jumps, and he's still trying to catch up with the artistry. Gachinski has bravura jumps, but needs a lot of work on developing artistry, and not just through camouflage (Has he taken ballet??? He's Russian after all). Oda has amazing height on his jumps, but he strings them together cluelessly with no artistry (even though the judges seem so blinded by the jumps, they pump up his PCS). I agree with those who feel that Nan Song should have scored higher than Oda at CoC -- While Song needs work on artistry too, his program was much better conceived and performed than Oda's.

6. aftershocks

Double post

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  7. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Chan, for one, does triple lutz, half-loop, triple salchow. Rippon, among others, is also trying it this year.

Also, Rochette did some beautiful triple toe, half-loop, triple salchow combos/sequences.

8. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Jason Thomas used to do triple lutz, landing on the left foot and tapping into another triple lutz.

Beat that O.O

9. Sylvia

Is there any video? Thomas was a talented young skater from the Chicago area who placed 6th in Novice at 2009 U.S. Nationals. Last I heard, he was hoping to represent India internationally but I'm not sure he has competed since 2009?

10. aftershocks

Yes, I'd love to see that ... very interesting as the lutz is a difficult jump by itself.

11. aftershocks

:swoon: :swoon: Rohene! Haven't seen him in a long time ... he's sporting beard and bushy 'fro :cool: (or is it a form of flat-top Mohawk? I can't get a clear look).

12. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Emily Hughes used to do a one foot axel in a triple salchow in her junior programs.

She also used to a charlotte into her combo spin or layback. She also invented the shoot the duck position on her sit spin.

Another one I would say, was Midori Ito's double loop-triple loop combo. Who even did that ever?

13. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I don't think I've seen a video of it, not sure that he even got credit for it as a combination which is unfortunate!!

Last I heard he is done skating, but I don't know him personally!

BTW Rohene's hair is.... how do I say this. Like Rihanna :p

14. aftershocks

^^ :lol: Would love to see that up close and personal. :) Is Rohene skating in shows in Europe now?

smarts1, not sure about 2loop, 3loop, but Lipinski of course made famous the 3loop, 3loop.

15. Casey2

Casey2 Member

Jill Trenary did a single axel into a double jump (off the landing foot); can't remember the second jump. I second the motion for rewarding innovative jump combos.

16. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Yup. During competition season he does shows, and in the off-season he works as a choreographer, at least afaik.

17. aftershocks

Up thread it is noted in my edited first post: Jill did a one-foot axel into a 3-salchow

18. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Do you mean her layover back sit? I thought the goal of any sit spin was to hit a shoot the duck position. I may be misunderstanding your post though...
    I've always liked the triple flip after the half loop (triple lutz half loop triple flip). Anyone on ice doing a double loop that lands on the inside back edge of the other foot yet? (half loop with an extra rotation in it). How would it be judged? It's obviously harder than a half loop but what would happen in a three jump combo?

19. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

She did a one foot axel (landing on the same leg) into a triple salchow.

20. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I don't think she invented that. Skaters have been doing sit spin in a shoot the duck position for a while. Paul Wylie used to do a great one.

Another jump combination- I don't know if this has been mentioned yet- Plushenko used to do a triple axel-half loop-triple flip, which is insanely difficult.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  21. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten how incredible Rohene is! Always felt he was (and still is) one of the biggest talents--EVER--in FS. He's so special. Thanks for posting these.

22. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

23. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a 1 foot double salchow into 3flip or 3salchow.

I think that the code change recognizing 1/2 loops as single loops applies to other one foot jumps as well.

24. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Kristina Czako also did it in 1993.

Florent Amodio is trying a 3Lz/half-loop/3Sal this season.

25. delayedaxel

delayedaxel New Member

Lovely!

Now I'm wondering why skaters don't include delayed axels at least in their exhibitions nowadays :cool:

26. Sk8swan

Sk8swan Well-Known Member

Another unusual jump combo (not sure it can be defined "inspirational") was Kielmann(?)'s endless loop-2loops combo. I guess she brought it in from her roller skating heritage.

27. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

If I read the CoP rules correctly, only the first three jumps in that pass, like in This Long Porgram from Marina Kielmann at the 1993 World Championships would count, though perhaps one could argue that a combination like this helps with components as well....

There is no incentive anymore to do double-triple combinations because CoP doesn't factor in order of elements when calculating base values.

Therefore, 3 loop - 2 loop base value = 2 loop - 3 loop base value (which is IMO crazy, IMO)

28. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Adam Rippon already has done this combination at Skate Canada

29. Sylvia

In addition to Chan, Amodio and Rippon, Brandon Mroz, Max Aaron and Alex Johnson also have 3Lz-half loop-3S combos planned in their FS (so it's not just a Colorado Springs fad ;)). Many skaters have added it to their repertoire recently because it's a considered a combination jump this season (receiving the full base value of both triples) and not a sequence.

30. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

How are you defining "shoot the duck position"? I think that was the original basis of the sitspin. I've seen a picture of Axel Paulsen in that position (no, it's not online). Not sure how low Jackson Haines got when he invented the spin. But anyway I think it's been around since the 19th century.

My understanding (I'll defer to any technical panel experts if I'm wrong) is that a combination with six jumps like that would get no credit at all because the current rules only allow combinations with two or three jumps (only one of the latter per program).

If there were any nonlisted jumps or changes of foot in the middle, then it would be a jump sequence and only (80% value of) the two highest value jumps would count. So it would be worth 80% as much as double axel-double loop combo.

There has to be a better way to reward jump sequences appropriately without allowing skaters to pack their programs with lots of extra points compared to skaters who don't do jump sequences.

Which is why I think there should be a bonus multiplier for the second (or third) jump in a true combination. That would also encourage combos like one-foot axel-triple salchow, which would then become more valuable than triple salchow-double toe, as well it should be.

Would you settle for one-foot triple salchow (with touchdown) into double flip?

Actually, it was always permitted to land any jump on the opposite foot and have it count the same as the regular jump with that takeoff and that number of revolutions. Depending whether it looked intentional or not would affect the GOE. Single loop with opposite foot landing (i.e., half-loop) was explicitly an exception -- until the most recent change, when it is now explicitly included in that principle as a single loop, but only when it's part of a jump combo or sequence. It's still considered a nonlisted jump that doesn't waste a jump slot on a lousy single loop if it occurs in isolation.